Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? (41723 Views)

Why Is " Anything Raised To The Power Zero" Equals To One? / Why Is Any Number Divided By Zero Equals To Infinity?? / How To Find The Square Root Of ANY Number Instantly In 3 Secs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by God1stson(m): 1:38pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:
Why is any any number multiply by zero is equal to zero?

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

If i have 100 oranges on a table and i multiply it by zero. Why do i suddenly have zero?

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
mathematicians in the house please gather.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Aucun(m): 1:38pm On Jan 14, 2021
mu2sa2:
I don't think op's puzzle has been cracked.
0 × 3 = 0 ( the answer is logical: nothing 3 times is still nothing). But why is
3 × 0 =0 (this is illogical: e.g if I have 3 apples and try to multiply it 0 times, I can't, but my 3 apples should remain 3, not 0.
In case the puzzle can't be cracked in Queen's English, I beg let somebody try good old pidgin - maybe this will help, because with pidgin you are not constrained by rules of grammar ( just say it any how- the language is immaterial as long as the meaning is plain).

You missed the pattern. I don't mean no insults pls.

In mathematics, 3 x 7 is the same thing as 7 x 3 .
They are not two different things.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:39pm On Jan 14, 2021
alizma:

Switching code is not bad. China, Japan, India, etdo more of their learning in their mothers' tongue

But these countries are advanced in terms of their mother tongue. Sometimes, you even find that some words don't exist in their mother's tongue's.

If you need to explain a concept to someone in the person's mother's tongue to understand a concept, the person's English comprehension skills is still backwards.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by frog12: 1:41pm On Jan 14, 2021
BECAUSE they say it is ZERO. dullard!
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by amaifehenry(m): 1:42pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

If i have 100 oranges on a table and i multiply it by zero. Why do i suddenly have zero?

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please

Zero in Maths means nothing ( doesn’t exist). So by multiplying anything by Zero you’re simply saying that thing (number) never existed. So still Zero 0.
Cheers!
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:44pm On Jan 14, 2021
koning:

No. You have not. The Op posed a thinking man's problem. You are all still responding the same way we were all thought to respond from birth.

Now, if the 100 oranges do not reproduce, but remain just 100. Why will you still have Zero and not the 100 you already had angry

The problem is that the OP missed what the concept of multiplication is. The concept is to produce.

If you have 100 people in the bar and you want to give them 3 bottles of beer each, how many bottles of beer should you bring(Produce)?

100 X 3 = 300.

If you have 100 people in the bar and none (0) of them want beer, how many beers should you bring(Produce)?

Zero bottles of beer.

100 X 0 = 0.

As soon as you get the concept of multiplication, which is Product, you understand it.

cc: BobFischer

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by God1stson(m): 1:45pm On Jan 14, 2021
Tohsynetita1:

Probably, you don't understand the meaning of multiplication, God says be fruitful and multiply. For multiplication to occur, it must be 2 entity that are not empty, Procreation is as a result of union of two people. Man with Nothing can not bring a child. The zero, in the expression will always affect the answer and make it to be nothing.
I like ur explanation very logical especially from devine point of view
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by KNOWMORE56: 1:46pm On Jan 14, 2021
dawnomike:
The branch of mathematics that proves this is called 'Real Analysis'. You proof by contradiction.
To proof what you asked above in mathematics will take like 2 pages of paper.

But is zero = nothing? Because what came to my mind now is how the zero is eventually something, e.g

1 has zero at the left hand side = 01=1;
Ok
1 has zero at it right hand side = 10=10.

This is marginalization�
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by EncourageMe: 1:49pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
BECAUSE THE DAY YOU WERE BORN, YOU CAME WITH ZERO PROPERTY AND THE DAY YOU DIE, YOU GO WITH ZERO PROPERTY, THAT IS WHY ANYTHING MULTIPLIED BY ZERO IS ZERO, NAKED YOU CAME, NAKED YOU GO. lol... do not go and write this in exam oooo .
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:50pm On Jan 14, 2021
frog12:
BECAUSE they say it is ZERO. dullard!

His question is actually a very intelligent one.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by jaxxy(m): 1:52pm On Jan 14, 2021
U went to primary and secondary skol and didn’t ask ur teachers bt now want to disturb us? undecided
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Sheggy13(m): 1:54pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

This translate to zero 0 (if i dont have 1 naira) * 1 or * 100 = 0 (i still dont have any)

NOW THIS

(You have) 100 * 0 (nothing) = 0 (nothing)
translate to you have 100 and i ask zero time(simply i dont ask) and then you loose your 100

so how do you explain this?
losing you 100 when you do nothing
See it this way:
100* 3 means you collected 100 naira each from 3 people, how much do you have: 300 naira

100* 2 means you collected 100 naira each from 2 people, how much do you have: 200 naira
Therefore, 100* 0 means you collected 100 naira from nobody (zero) meaning you have nothing in return ( zero)

Likewise, 3* 100 means you collected 3 Naira each from 100 people, you will have 300 naira
2* 100 means you collected 2 naira each from 100 people, how much do you have: 200 naira
In same vein, 0*100 means you didn't collect anything from 100 people, you'd definitely have nothing in return. I'm sure you get the logic

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Olakunleyakub(m): 1:56pm On Jan 14, 2021
This is a great question from the op and this should serve as a wake up call for the rest of us who just accept anything without asking why it is so.

one or two people have answered the question judiciously and correctly from the comments have read so far. according to my own understanding!

To me, I think the first is that most of those rules are mathematical law that should be obey but the question to ask is who created those law and how did they arrive at that conclusions? I mean what process. This is not related to god so don't bother yourself asking me why God exist.

Secondly,
Zero (0) is nothing and even if you multiply it in 1trillions times it will still come back as nothing so it means that the zero(0) invalidate any figure or numbers.

Kudos to the second person to comment and miss worldliness..

I think am done talking!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by quickly: 1:56pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please

Zero represents birth or death.

If u have
100 oranges and u eat all of it, how many remaining =0
It also represents starting point

0 and infinity multiplied by any number will give u either 0 and infinity.

Law of mathematics
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Aucun(m): 1:56pm On Jan 14, 2021
koning:

No. You have not. The Op posed a thinking man's problem. You are all still responding the same way we were all thought to respond from birth.

Now, if the 100 oranges do not reproduce, but remain just 100. Why will you still have Zero and not the 100 you already had angry

I guess using reproduction is not the exact same thing as multiplication implies in mathematics.

Rather it should be, 100oranges or dogs or whatever, brought out 0times = 0

Also, another perspective to this would be, always try to see things from an all-round view. Let it not be about "you" alone. For instance, you have hundred oranges and you multiply by 0, the outcome is not about you anymore, it's about who you're dealing with, he will get nothing. You grab?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Aucun(m): 2:01pm On Jan 14, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

His question is actually a very intelligent one.

I think he is just being rebellious or dogmatic! With time, he will understand the concept!
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Magmata: 2:02pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

mind you
0 * 3 and
3 * 0 are two different statement.

0 (nothing) * 3 (something) = 0 (nothing)

3 (something) * 0 (nothing) = 0 (nothing).

why isnt it
3 * 0 = 3
0 * 3 = 0

0*3 and 3*0 have their differences only in structure, the real value lies in the statement itself of which each member share the same strength irrespective of their sizes.

This can be verified using non zero multiples, the outcome remained the same irrespective of the structure. The same with addition.

Now, consider these statements;

1. 0*3~zero in three places
2. 3*0~ three in zero places

The first statement says three positions to put nothing and the second statement says zero (no) position to put three. Since they're mutually dependent, zero is only expressing itself, that is, I'm complete in myself.

The implication is, zero unlike other numbers doesn't obey arithmetic rule, it can only stand by other numbers and give them value but never mingle in any way.

If you check number line, every other number emerges to the left and right of zero ( -ve & +ve), it isn't a number, it's the origin, complete and perfect in itself. It's shape says everything.

It's a symbol that goes beyond arithmetic, it's a statement of existence.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Aboki99(m): 2:02pm On Jan 14, 2021
But Jesus birth involved one not "two entity that are not empty". Similarly, both Adam and Eve involed zero entity. So You MUST add a caveat to your theory or else these exceptions renders your theory technically nonsensical and invalid.

Tohsynetita1:

Probably, you don't understand the meaning of multiplication, God says be fruitful and multiply. For multiplication to occur, it must be 2 entity that are not empty, Procreation is as a result of union of two people. Man with Nothing can not bring a child. The zero, in the expression will always affect the answer and make it to be nothing.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Bolingua1: 2:03pm On Jan 14, 2021
Stubborn82:
Am I the only person who noticed the op must be a genius
A question like this is not just a question for fun, in fact it is a question born of deep provoking thought.

Luke Williams called this kind a of question, a disruptive question that need a disruptive solution, this is how great ideas is born.

When you try to turn upside down or turn back from the norm, you become genius.

OP please be my friend, I need a great thinkers like you to share mind with.

He isn't any genius,
He just couldn't think right.
Use your brain properly. Nobody is talking about what you have, but the product of what you have.
You have #100, and you didn't do anything to it, you still have #100, but the product is 0, because nothing has been added to it. People can't just think smart.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Bolingua1: 2:06pm On Jan 14, 2021
Aucun:

I think he is just being rebellious or dogmatic! With time, he will understand the concept!

His question is a product of a dull brain. You could question why something is so, and you should understand why it so. That he could not understand it is the issue.
Our educational system is poor.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:06pm On Jan 14, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

That is what multiplication is.

True but in your illustration you did not do that, you directed us to look at the Result of the eggs in saying "How many eggs do we have?"

Which means there is also how many chickens do we have or some other how many.

But in multiplication, we have only One subject matter of Increase in this case, it is either we are increasing 3 or 0.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Aucun(m): 2:09pm On Jan 14, 2021
Bolingua1:

His question is a product of a dull brain. You could question why something is so, and you should understand why it so. That he could not understand it is the issue.
Our educational system is poor.

Well!

If you're harsh on him. He may question the sincerity of your answers.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by alizma: 2:09pm On Jan 14, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

But these countries are advanced in terms of their mother tongue. Sometimes, you even find that some words don't exist in their mother's tongue's.

If you need to explain a concept to someone in the person's mother's tongue to understand a concept, the person's English comprehension skills is still backwards.
Nothing like the person's skill is backwards, English is a borrowed language and a field of continuous learning.
Switching code is never a bad step in teaching that is why the language " switching code" exist in English language as a field of study. I rest my case
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by realstars: 2:11pm On Jan 14, 2021
proxitaly:
Buhari (something) x Buhari brain (empty or nothing) = nothing
That is why even 1000 tenures of Buhari will leave Naija empty or even worse off. You grab?
Truely Speaking, But His Fans Will Hate You For Saying The Truth.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Charlie2020(f): 2:11pm On Jan 14, 2021
Simple. If you subtract a number from itself you get zero.
1-1=0, 2-2=0, 4-4=0 et
Therefore 2×0 can be 2×(2-2)
Which is 4-4=0
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:13pm On Jan 14, 2021
Magmata:

0*3 and 3*0 have their differences only in structure, the real value lies in the statement itself of which each member share the same strength irrespective of their sizes.

This can be verified using non zero multiples, the outcome remained the same irrespective of the structure. The same with addition.

Now, consider these statements;

1. 0*3~zero in three places
2. 3*0~ three in zero places

The first statement says three positions to put nothing and the second statement says zero (no) position to put three. Since they're mutually dependent, zero is only expressing itself, that is, I'm complete in myself.

The implication is, zero unlike other numbers doesn't obey arithmetic rule, it can only stand by other numbers and give them value but never mingle in any way.

If you check number line, every other number emerges to the left and right of zero ( -ve & +ve), it isn't a number, it's the origin, complete and perfect in itself. It's shape says everything.

It's a symbol that goes beyond arithmetic, it's a statement of existence.

Respectfully, this is pit toilet products trying to explain Untrue Proposition/Brain Washing.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by MansoryMX(m): 2:14pm On Jan 14, 2021
proxitaly:
Buhari (something) x Buhari brain (empty or nothing) = nothing
That is why even 1000 tenures of Buhari will leave Naija empty or even worse off. You grab?

Omorrrrrrr!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by pooozeee(m): 2:17pm On Jan 14, 2021

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by OROSUNBOLB(m): 2:18pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please

This is because you can't build something on nothing ! Your 100 oranges or 1000 pears couldn't have been real if you were to multiply them by zero. Zero means nothing and that means those oranges or pears did not exist in the first instance.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:18pm On Jan 14, 2021
alizma:

Nothing like the person's skill is backwards, English is a borrowed language and a field of continuous learning.
Switching code is never a bad step in teaching that is why the language " switching code" exist in English language as a field of study. I rest my case

That is my take. Learning should be in steps. English comprehension is a big basic step before understanding complex laws etc.

When you need to explain in mother's tongues, then the person has not yet grabbed the required skill for advanced learning.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Enwhen(m): 2:20pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please

Take a look at these :

3*3 = 3+3+3= 9

4*2 = 4+4= 8

2*5 = 2+2+2+2+2= 10

As such,

0*3 = 0+0+0 = 0

2*0 = nothing existed here ( becuase 2 into 0 places , means nothing) = 0

Is like u went to zero places , how many places did u go ?...= 0

PROOVED!!!!
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by cuteboy2: 2:20pm On Jan 14, 2021
Maybe you are onto something big.

Please test it out for us. Walk into your banking hall. Go in with zero cash. Fill a teller form with N5million *0 = N5million. Write the amount in words and hand it over to the cashier. If you walk out without handcuffs, and your account is credited, then you are a candidate for Nobel prize in mathematics.

We will all follow your example.
I have N5billion * 0, I want to lodge urgently. Just waiting for the result of your field experiment

BobFischer:

mind you
0 * 3 and
3 * 0 are two different statement.

0 (nothing) * 3 (something) = 0 (nothing)

3 (something) * 0 (nothing) = 0 (nothing).

why isnt it
3 * 0 = 3
0 * 3 = 0

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

19-Year-Old Virgin Graduates From Taraba State University As She Celebrates (Pix / Ejikeme Joy Scores Highest In JAMB, Gets INNOSON N3m Scholarship / Pix: Who Is To Be Punished?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.