Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,994 members, 7,806,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo (1793 Views)

How Suspended NPA MD, Hadiza Bala Ceded Intels Terminals To Dangote / No Inch Of Yoruba Land Will Be Ceded To Fg's Creditors - Afenifere / Irele And Ose LGA In Ondo Should Be Ceded To Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Okutanla1: 6:34am On Jan 14, 2021
https://thenationonlineng.net/why-2023-presidency-should-not-be-ceded-to-southeast/

January 14, 2021

2023: Towards a president of Igbo extraction

By Fredrick Nwabufo

SIR: If the 2023 presidency is relieved of competition and minimised to an ethnic contest, then we are consciously backtracking to the mistakes of 2015. Ethnic considerations brought President Muhammadu Buhari to power. When leadership is robbed of progressive competition, competence is impaired. We will keep chasing the will-o-the-wisp of progress as a country for as long as the tribe of a citizen matters more than his antecedents, competence level and abilities.

’’Turn-by-turn’’ presidency will only yield ‘’turn-by-turn’’ misery. Nepotism here thrives largely because a leader selected on the basis of where he represents generally seeks to protect the interest of that base he feels solidified his claim to power. It is the reason Buhari shows exceptional consideration for his ‘’political base’’. In fact, one of the murmurs among members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) – the president’s party – is that Buhari and his camp commonised the contributions of the southwest to his electoral victory in 2015 and 2019. The president feels strongly that his victory came by the hands of his fanatical followers in the north.

So, we are only reinventing a broken wheel by putting more premium on where the next president should come from rather than on ‘’what he had done, what he is doing; his leadership qualities, academic background, mental state and health condition’’. And with the entitled perception that ‘’it is our turn; the president is our brother’’, nepotism is systematised.

Really, why should a leadership position that defines and determines the future of the country be ethnicised? Why is there no campaign for the basics of leadership? Why is there no clamour for the qualities, the credentials and competence level the next president of Nigeria should possess?

Why is it always about ethnicity? Really, we are doomed to have a reprise of the indomitably failed Buhari administration, if we persist in the pursuit of ethnic-based leadership.

It is revolting that presidency in Nigeria is designed in such a way that every ethnic group, particularly the predatory political class, sees it as an entitled offering that must be acquired for the sake of promoting individual and sectional interest. The base mindset of — ‘’it is our turn to take a crunch at the cake, so pass it!’’ If ethnic-based presidency is so important to us, why can we not fragment the centre and return power to the federating units? So, every group can decide how to bake and eat their own cake.

On January 6, some Igbo political leaders emerged from a meeting and asked all political parties to zone the 2023 presidency to the southeast. Among these Igbo political leaders were a former governor who took a hiatus from prison and a former senate president facing corruption charges. I was startled. Who among these ones is fit to be president?

To make it clear, the ‘’struggle’’ for 2023 presidency by some southeast leaders is not in the pursuit of the Igbo interest. Rather it is in the pursuit of the interest of the ruling elite of the region. The overarching interest of the Igbo is a restructured Nigeria where every region can grow at its own pace.

No political party should cede 2023 presidential tickets to the southeast on the basis of nothing but ‘’ethnicity’’. The process should be competitive to allow the best minds to take charge of the country – even if candidates from the southeast are specially considered. There should be less emphasis on ethnicity and more stress on competence, credentials, antecedents, and ability for leadership.

And even if the south-east gets a go at the presidency, the next president should not be from the pool of the perpetuators of the region’s underdevelopment.

Fredrick Nwabufo, fredricknwabufo@yahoo.com

Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by amuwo1980: 6:35am On Jan 14, 2021
Paid hack
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Nobody: 6:38am On Jan 14, 2021
No party promised the south east the presidency will be ceded to them in 2023.

1 Like

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Skyfornia(m): 6:39am On Jan 14, 2021
I'm indifferent
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by solmusdesigns: 6:40am On Jan 14, 2021
cool

Nobody is stopping Ibos from contesting like any other qualified southerner under APC or PDP

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by SocialJustice: 6:44am On Jan 14, 2021
Just imagine the nonsense an igbo man is coming out to say. When was the last time an igbo man was president? I hate people who cause disunity.

2 Likes

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Moferere: 6:46am On Jan 14, 2021
I laugh o.

All I know is that an igbo man will not be president in 2023
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by epicmadam(f): 7:05am On Jan 14, 2021
cool
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Simplyleo: 7:09am On Jan 14, 2021
Before nko.

Did any party plan to cede presidency to the east?
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Racoon(m): 7:10am On Jan 14, 2021
Since nepotism and favouritism have been entrenched in out national politics, the best way to minimize it is regional government via restructuring wherein people will use same to ensure that only the qualified rule them.

1 Like

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Racoon(m): 7:12am On Jan 14, 2021
The overarching interest of the Igbo is a restructured Nigeria where every region can grow at its own pace.

Racoon:
No reasonable Igbo should see himself as the salvation Nigeria needs because this nation have been damage beyond redemption while still sitting on the defective structural foundation since 1960.

Nigeria is simply irredeemable from it current politico-religio-econnomic woes.This only starting solution to this quagmire is a SNC discussion on our state of nationhood.Restructure or total disintegration into regional govt for all man to develop @ his or her own pace.

1 Like

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by omowolewa: 7:13am On Jan 14, 2021
Next year will be politically charged
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Mrseunex: 7:25am On Jan 14, 2021
All i know is that yoruba will be your president come 2023 and nothing can change am
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by HeadShot: 7:26am On Jan 14, 2021
amuwo1980:
Paid hack

The Nation

The Nation

The Nation

The Nation

The Nation

Do you know who owns the newspaper?.....

2 Likes

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by HeadShot: 7:28am On Jan 14, 2021
Moferere:
I laugh o.
All I know is that an igbo man will not be president in 2023

Seems you are God.....
Hahahaha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by gidgiddy: 7:34am On Jan 14, 2021
If the position of Presidency should not be zoned to the South East, especially when the South West and South/South have had it, then it is best that zoning be done away with. Let all 6 geopolitical zones aspire to the Presidency and who ever wins carries the day

3 Likes

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Ogbuu101: 7:40am On Jan 14, 2021
The nation newspaper, thiefnuubu's mouthpiece on the beat
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by doubleportion: 7:44am On Jan 14, 2021
Our journey is far in this country, the day abolish ethnic politics is the day our deliverance comes!

Check my signature for free BTC if you have wallet, you do know what exchange rate is now right?
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Paperworka: 7:51am On Jan 14, 2021
Fredrick nwabufo is a product of Fulani jihad.

1 Like

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by amuwo1980: 8:46am On Jan 14, 2021
HeadShot:

The Nation

The Nation

The Nation

The Nation

The Nation

Do you know who knows the newspaper?.....

Thiefnunbu

1 Like

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by helinues: 1:59pm On Jan 14, 2021
shocked
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Redcrafton: 2:05pm On Jan 14, 2021
If you how me where this paid writer states that the best candidate should always by employed in Nigeria public system to bring out the best in the works force than using quota system...I will believe it... cheesy

Nigeria was never design to succeed.

Shifting goal posts to suit people's jaundice whims has been the other of the day.
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by BastardWike: 3:53pm On Jan 14, 2021
Lol, what do you expect from Tinubu's errand boys. These are the brown envelope otimkpus he put under Nation newspapers to be doing his dirty job.

This guy is only trying to earn his money, he wrote this trash just to impress the bullion van general.

Rubbish!!

1 Like

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by gidgiddy: 5:11pm On Jan 14, 2021
Mrseunex:
All i know is that yoruba will be your president come 2023 and nothing can change am

And how will that reduce the price of Yam?

1 Like

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by StCapital: 6:56pm On Jan 14, 2021
Okutanla1:
https://thenationonlineng.net/why-2023-presidency-should-not-be-ceded-to-southeast/

Lalasticlala Mynd44

This is just your opinion but the zoning did not start from 2015 election, I will advise you to support Igbo Presidency, Anambra and Abia States should not contest if it is finally ceded to the South East by the 2 major Political parties, they should stop Marginalizing the South East.

1 Like

Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Top1gun: 3:20am On Jan 15, 2021
Your father must to wail blood over this I swear.

gidgiddy:
If the position of Presidency should not be zoned to the South East, especially when the South West and South/South have had it, then it is best that zoning be done away with. Let all 6 geopolitical zones aspire to the Presidency and who ever wins carries the day
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by Nobody: 6:47am On Jan 15, 2021
When it seems the odds are against most, they speak unity, one Nigeria..
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by chukwuaustin(m): 7:01am On Jan 15, 2021
Their is no reason what so ever to justify this your trash that you wrote. Southeast deserve the presidency and that is final
Re: Why 2023 Presidency Should Not Be Ceded To Southeast - Fredrick Nwabufo by blackpanda: 7:18am On Jan 15, 2021
Me I don't know this one.

What I know is that it will be easier for the pope to become a muslim than for an Igbo man to be president

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oduduwa Launches New Security Network / The First Story Building In Nigeria / Tinubu Reunites With Associates, As Sanwo-olu Hosts Apc Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.