Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,252 members, 7,780,528 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:53 PM

Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack (23300 Views)

Donald Trump's Twitter Account Has Been Restored / Elon Musk Would Reverse Donald Trump's Twitter Ban / Germany's Merkel: Trump's Twitter Eviction 'problematic' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by ebuka440: 9:32am On Jan 14, 2021
I strongly believe that what affected Donald Trump's election was the negative things that he said.
Power they say is in the tongue and so therefore we should be careful with what we say always.
Trump makes careless comments and in some situations comments capable of inciting violence.

2 Likes

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by ipobarethieves: 9:32am On Jan 14, 2021
sad.Saint Righteousness2 sad,see how dey CRIPPLE,tie Ur godfather sad sad.Seem U don't hear from Ur coven again grin cheesy wink grin

1 Like

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Kayberg: 9:32am On Jan 14, 2021
angry
Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Obrigardo: 9:33am On Jan 14, 2021
BREAKING: According to the Washington Post, Donald Trump has instructed his staff not to pay Rudy Giuliani's legal fees.

1 Like

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Confirmedzombie: 9:34am On Jan 14, 2021
I stand with Trump and Biden on this. Banning Twitter is a very good decision.

I hope the Twitter CEO will learn his lessons from this ban and improve.

If it were to be in Nigeria, haters and wailers would have started insulting Buhari but here Americans are calm.

God bless Trump
God bless Biden

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Omezif(m): 9:34am On Jan 14, 2021
Trump is a talkative
Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Obrigardo: 9:34am On Jan 14, 2021
In another news, Nancy pelosi is so nasty

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by DropsMic(m): 9:35am On Jan 14, 2021
GIANTPLUSHUB:
Whites and their I don't care who you are attitudes is part of what of had greatly spurred their growths. You can't try this in black countries, someone like Jack would be in police custody by now. The saddest revelation about this is that, WE BLACK STILL HAVE A VERY LONG WAY TO GO! After listening to Professor Lumumba of Kenya several times. I can only say Only God can help the black man!

Even God can't help the Black Man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by OneMillionDave: 9:35am On Jan 14, 2021
Trump trumpet trumpeter,

Twitter hapu the guy biko

1 Like

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by GIANTPLUSHUB: 9:36am On Jan 14, 2021
DropsMic:

Even God can't help the Black Man

I just weak angry shocked
Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 14, 2021
I hope your case won't be like that of Sowore. grin

After APC used his media house to kick PDP, they turn around and try to suppress the same media house. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by SaintLucia: 9:37am On Jan 14, 2021
But it wasn't like that when the same Twitter and Facebook was used to incite the destruction of private and public properties in Nigeria. Police officers were killed, burnt and their flesh eaten in Ibadan and Twitter and Facebook saw nothing wrong in that..... Hypocrite of the highest order. Trump just exposed America double standards democrazy.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Nobody: 9:38am On Jan 14, 2021
Me laughing in the free speech in Naija. grin

1 Like

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by toprealman: 9:38am On Jan 14, 2021
DenreleDave:
undecided

No worry. Till Biden come and ban your Twitter... Then u will regret doing dt to trump....

If no be say how this country take be, Jack and Mark combine no suppose get money and fame pass mi...
You seem to underrated the power of social media.
Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Jaqenhghar: 9:39am On Jan 14, 2021
GIANTPLUSHUB:
Whites and their I don't care who you are attitudes is part of what of had greatly spurred their growths. You can't try this in black countries, someone like Jack would be in police custody by now. The saddest revelation about this is that, WE BLACK STILL HAVE A VERY LONG WAY TO GO! After listening to Professor Lumumba of Kenya several times. I can only say Only God can help the black man!
Ironically they were once like us. That development started when they started questioning things. We have not even started asking those critical questions sef amd those who do are villified. Sad

3 Likes

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by bluefilm: 9:41am On Jan 14, 2021
What is this useless bearded pussy of nerd trying to say now?

Trump was their biggest traffic getter.

Maybe he's just realizing now how much of force Mr. Trump was to his business...?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by toprealman: 9:41am On Jan 14, 2021
Obrigardo:
In another news, Nancy pelosi is so nasty
If you are referring to a bitch Ma, you didn't even ask.....you just ***** him!

1 Like

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Neddstark: 9:43am On Jan 14, 2021
As we speak, social media is banned in Uganda ahead of their presidential elections tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Judolisco(m): 9:43am On Jan 14, 2021
Seriously he will surely regret dis... Maybe not now but later

1 Like

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by paulshedrach31(m): 9:43am On Jan 14, 2021
Jack in a serious dillema.

3 Likes

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Judolisco(m): 9:44am On Jan 14, 2021
ebuka440:
I strongly believe that what affected Donald Trump's election was the negative things that he said.
Power they say is in the tongue and so therefore we should be careful with what we say always.
Trump makes careless comments and in some situations comments capable of inciting violence.
d only thing that affected trump was d pandemic
They've got nothing on him... Pandemic and d fake black lives matter movement

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by nkiliuzo(m): 9:44am On Jan 14, 2021
I won't lie tho but jack fvck up, the hell would he ban Donald trump for, like I don't get!!
trump never tweeted for people to storm the capitol, so the reasons he ban the dude to me is rubbish.

5 Likes

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by sagenaija: 9:47am On Jan 14, 2021
Here's part of the German Chancellor's reaction to all these:
"Angela Merkel, German chancellor, has sharply criticised Twitter’s decision to ban US president Donald Trump, calling it a “problematic” breach of the “fundamental right to free speech”.

But Ms Merkel said through her spokesman that the US government should follow Germany’s lead in adopting laws that restrict online incitement, rather than leaving it up to platforms such as Twitter and Facebook to make up their own rules."

How do they determine the 'risk' a tweet poses?
Are there any CLEAR policy positions for conduct of those who post?

Without clear guidelines the platforms will end up becoming the law, the jury and the judge in themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by SalamRushdie: 9:48am On Jan 14, 2021
Freestainworld:
The ban is necessary for public safety

But it wasn't necessary when Nancy Pelosi and co spread lies to stoke riots for four years

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by fredoooooo: 9:48am On Jan 14, 2021
Oloshi jack .. Hypocrites, when he was the president you can't do nothing, now you're all foaming for mouth because you're sure he's going out..
This bastard was promoting ENDSARS but protecting America ..
Awon Eleribu, they want our country to break but they are protecting their own ....
E ni ku re angry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by lexy2014: 9:49am On Jan 14, 2021
Incognito403:

Hypocrisy at its peak.

Why didn't they think this when their platform was being used to destroy other countries like Libya.

While I'm not in support of the EndSars riot, I can't blame this guy for supporting the movement. He probably didn't know it had a political undertone and most of those so-called protesters are actually protedlums (half protesters, half hoodlums); they're hoodlums when burning the country but peaceful protesters when the government charges them to court.

Since u no all their names, what are d names of those that attacked & killed protesters in Benin, Lagos, Abuja & osogbo? What are d names of those who provided logistics for them?

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-hoodlums-killed-endsars-protesters-in-benin-says-obaseki/amp
Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by SalamRushdie: 9:49am On Jan 14, 2021
ebuka440:

Nothing affected his Election except bare faced no apologies rigging ..He go more votes than any past president in US history for your information

8 Likes

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by lexy2014: 9:50am On Jan 14, 2021
nkiliuzo:
I won't lie tho but jack fvck up, the hell would he ban Donald trump for, like I don't get!!
trump never tweeted for people to storm the capitol, so the reasons he ban the dude to me is rubbish.

I agree

2 Likes

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Adakintroy: 9:52am On Jan 14, 2021
Trump my man

1 Like

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by king4afric(m): 9:54am On Jan 14, 2021
I have suspended my account with them .

1 Like

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 14, 2021
greenskittles:
I feel the problem with anonymous, decentralized networks is that they're hotbeds for crime- imagine a social network with no moderation at all. Isis and Boko Haram would probably even use it to openly recruit. After all, nobody's there to stop them. At the same time, we also have concerns about balancing free speech with moderating violence. Trump had to be banned, he was too dangerous for a normal, sane society. But the people angry about free speech being suppressed have legitimate concerns. Should we really give one man (Jack Dorsey, Mark Zuckerberg, Seun Osewa, etc) the power to control discussion? Give them the right to be the ultimate judge? Yes, it's their platform, private property, but that kind of sole power makes them the judge and the jury, the ultimate arbiter of public discussion. This whole issue is a real head scratcher.
It's a definite head scratcher. I do appreciate the way Jack balanced the situation up. On one hand, it's almost as though he and Mark are playing God, but on the other hand, if such narratives aren't controlled and effectively shut down, where necessary, what happened on Capitol Hill could be the first of many, not only on American soil, but in many other majir cities of the world. We saw how Twitter helped #EndSARS get the much needed global attention, now imagine something much more negative getting that amount of traction yet can't be shut down since the Internet service is now anonymous and decentralised. Scary stuff.

I still prefer Jack to Mark though.

1 Like

Re: Trump's Twitter Ban: We Showed "Failure" To Police Global Public Discourse -Jack by seanwilliam(m): 9:57am On Jan 14, 2021
DenreleDave:
undecided

No worry. Till Biden come and ban your Twitter... Then u will regret doing dt to trump....

If no be say how this country take be, Jack and Mark combine no suppose get money and fame pass mi...
we no see you for base. I hope all his well o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'We Are Living In Fear' -Nigerians In South Africa Cry Out / South African Army Deploy In Cape Town - Local Drug Wars / German Economy Plunges Into Recession Over COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.