Stats: 3,149,835 members, 7,806,350 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M (3923 Views)

192 JAMB Score: What Are My Chances Of Getting Admission With This UTME Score? / What Are My Chances Of Making First Class? / Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. (2) (3) (4)

German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Zimri(m): 5:01pm On Jan 15, 2021
Stefan Thomas, a German-born programmer living in San Francisco, told The New York Times this week that he had two chances left to guess his password to a hard drive that holds the keys to his wallet with $220 million worth of bitcoins.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12994548_patk9kuturbxy82n2y0mtfkns1mmja4ltrhmtetowrmyy0xy2mxmwu2oddlztauanblz5gvas0b4addw4ghmqe_jpeg_jpegeabdd966bfea987850cf1c3636f313fd

While bitcoin's price has recorded historic growth - increasing by 92% in a month and about 340% in a year - one investor is locked out of accessing his riches because he forgot his password

Stefan Thomas, a German-born programmer in San Francisco, told The New York Times this week that he forgot the password to his IronKey , a secure hard drive with the keys to his wallet with 7,002 bitcoins, or about $220 million worth. IronKey gives users 10 guesses to get their password right before encrypting the hard drive's contents; Thomas has two more tries left.

"I would just lay in bed and think about it," Thomas told The Times' Nathaniel Popper. "Then I would go to the computer with some new strategy, and it wouldn't work, and I would be desperate again."

As some bitcoin investors get rich, others have had trouble accessing their investments because they've forgotten their passwords, The Times reported. About 20% of existing bitcoins "appear to be in lost or otherwise stranded wallets," the report said.

Some high-profile investors remain wary of bitcoin's surge. UBS analysts said this week that cryptocurrency volatility did not make it a "suitable alternative" to safe-haven assets. And the billionaire "Bond King" Jeffrey Gundlach said bitcoin hit "bubble territory" once the price passed $23,000 .

Even after sliding as much as 20% over Sunday and Monday, the price of bitcoin recovered on Tuesday , rising to about $36,000.

In a tweet on Monday, the "Shark Tank" star Mark Cuban compared the "cryptos trade" to the dot-com bubble of the 1990s.

"Watching the cryptos trade, it's EXACTLY like the internet stock bubble," Cuban said. "EXACTLY. I think btc, eth , a few others will be analogous to those that were built during the dot-com era, survived the bubble bursting and thrived, like AMZN, EBay, and Priceline. Many won't."

https://africa.businessinsider.com/news/a-german-programmer-has-2-chances-to-correctly-guess-the-password-to-his-hard-drive/lpv55zt
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Freestainworld(m): 5:14pm On Jan 15, 2021
See wasting cash
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Derrylatei: 5:30pm On Jan 15, 2021
Him village people don follow am
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by dynicks(m): 7:15pm On Jan 15, 2021
And he laughed while he said it.....There are certain set of people that joke alot even at very serious matters!....

I trust African men especially from the Eastern part of naija; even the devil won't even have the nerve to pull such joke/play at him!...
EVERYBODY close and around him at that moment go dey feel the guy ginger; I mean, the atmosphere would be so tensed that every one would be seen as a suspect as to be the reason why he forgot his password.....WHAT RUBBISH!!....he was even laughing;...chai!!

Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by NewDelhi(m): 7:51pm On Jan 15, 2021
This things nor dey get password recovery option?

Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by lmm4real: 7:57pm On Jan 15, 2021
Hummm the money na how much for Nigerian naira again. undecided
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by mespusinglez(m): 8:00pm On Jan 15, 2021
See Waste Of Time Abeg Go Recover Your Password Jor sad
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Diffpussies(m): 8:04pm On Jan 15, 2021
Just press " Buhari " grin

Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 15, 2021
mespusinglez:
See Waste Of Time Abeg Go Recover Your Password Jor sad
You think say na Facebook password undecided

Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by cassidy1996(m): 8:31pm On Jan 15, 2021
OJay360:
You think say na Facebook password undecided
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by udumelue61854: 8:38pm On Jan 15, 2021
This things nor dey get password recovery option?
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by espn(m): 9:04pm On Jan 15, 2021
That's his problem...
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Tunde835(m): 9:08pm On Jan 15, 2021
dynicks:
And he laughed while he said it.....There are certain set of people that joke alot even at very serious matters!....

I trust African men especially from the Eastern part of naija; even the devil won't even have the nerve to pull such joke/play at him!
Very funny
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by 99thEnemy(m): 9:10pm On Jan 15, 2021
chisos klyst grin grin grin
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by taiwotimitt: 9:43pm On Jan 15, 2021
Hushpuppi must hear this grin
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Tamel(m): 9:46pm On Jan 15, 2021
I've read this somewhere before
People Wondering why he is laughing lol

Dude says he's got enough coins now to last him 2 lifetimes tongue
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by The5DME(m): 10:05pm On Jan 15, 2021
Zimri, this question has been addressed on quora by a friend of the same man. It's actually 16mlion dollar worth of bitcoin not 200.. I suggest you search for it on quora, you'll see it.
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by chynergy1(m): 10:14pm On Jan 15, 2021
see village people oooo
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Kriss216: 10:41pm On Jan 15, 2021
Two password chances left to lose $220M and he's still laughing

The last time I misplaced my bet9ja slip I played with N200, I almost had heart attack.

Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by 99thEnemy(m): 11:00pm On Jan 15, 2021
Kriss216:

The last time I misplaced my bet9ja slip I played with N200, I almost had heart attack.

Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by mcjohny(m): 12:27am On Jan 16, 2021
Kriss216:

Ooh please stop!
Dont make my phone fall again lol

Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by BizzBizz: 1:18am On Jan 16, 2021
guys pls subscribe to my YouTube channel

https://youtube.com/channel/UCLi9xj4yaTc9uEh3aTf9Mgg
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Salliet(m): 5:39am On Jan 16, 2021
Diffpussies:
Just press " Buhari " grin

Sorry, that password won't FLY

Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by lichocho(m): 6:28am On Jan 16, 2021
mcjohny:

Ooh please stop!
[q
mcjohny:

Ooh please stop!
uote author=Zimri post=98092141]
Lol no be joke..me go play 100 game,I come de look for d bet slip,Nd d funny tin be say d game neva enter ooo..na die na

https://africa.businessinsider.com/news/a-german-programmer-has-2-chances-to-correctly-guess-the-password-to-his-hard-drive/lpv55zt[/quote]if password no work,welder go crack am open ooo...I can’t take dis..no no no
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by martolux(m): 6:44am On Jan 16, 2021
He's a programmer, he surely knows how to recover his pwd.
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by TANID(m): 7:13am On Jan 16, 2021
The5DME:
Zimri, this question has been addressed on quora by a friend of the same man. It's actually 16mlion dollar worth of bitcoin not 200.. I suggest you search for it on quora, you'll see it.
THANK YOU
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Denique(f): 7:52am On Jan 16, 2021
I have a seer in my village only if he's willing to part with the twenty on it.
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Denique(f): 7:54am On Jan 16, 2021
Salliet:

Sorry, that password won't FLY
Y'all play too much! grin grin grin

Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by 1x2x3: 8:33am On Jan 16, 2021
I wish I can reach this guy to help him.
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Casper21: 9:42am On Jan 16, 2021
That's one thing with bitcoin wallet esp block chain, there's no recovery of password. That's why it's important to save your recovery keys in your Gmail incase you forget ur password.
Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Nobody: 10:06am On Jan 16, 2021
Casper21:
That's one thing with bitcoin wallet esp block chain, there's no recovery of password. That's why it's important to save your recovery keys in your Gmail incase you forget ur password.
And if your Gmail gets hacked? undecided

Re: German Programmer Has Two Password Chances Left Else He Loses $220M by Nobody: 10:20am On Jan 16, 2021
life no balance.

Laspotech Post Jamb And Part Time Form Is Out / Poly Ibadan: Admission 2010/2011: Informations. / Dauda, Nollywood Comedian Actor Goes To School