Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,202 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence (5363 Views)

Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence - Who's More Superior? / Atiku Sacks Staff VS TVC Slashes Staff Salaries / Buhari Entering The Venue Of Defence College Graduation (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Lordsagna: 10:44pm On Jan 15, 2021
Good evening Nlanders,
On the subject above, who's more superior?
I hope it's chief of army because I've never heard of defence chief in the news. Is that position potent? because to me brutai is closer to the president than any military officers today in Nigeria. Someone even said there are some military officers brutai do salute is that true?...does brutai has total control of the army?....can he plan a successful coup?....are there some officers brutai do salute ( I mean does he also have seniors )? Can they control him?..... my questions are endless.. because I had an argument with someone today about the army ...I was shocked I didn't know shit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Oblongata: 10:46pm On Jan 15, 2021
Chief of defense staff oversees Chief of Army staff, Airforce, and Navy.

He is the boss of Chief of Army staff.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by stambakky: 10:49pm On Jan 15, 2021
The chief of defence staff is a 4 star general while other service chiefs are 3 star general..so therefore chief of defence staff is superior to other service chiefs

11 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by CodeTemplar: 10:52pm On Jan 15, 2021
Defense covers army and other arms of defense like police and navy.

8 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by yinkus6750(m): 10:52pm On Jan 15, 2021
OP, what is your own with superiority of top military Generals?
Trouble sleep, yanga go wake up.
Continue.

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jan 15, 2021
One is a snake charmer and the other is completely useless and unheard of. Do you need other differences?

7 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Dapson73(m): 10:57pm On Jan 15, 2021
yinkus6750:
OP, what is your own with superiority of top military Generals?
Trouble sleep, yanga go wake up.
Continue.

Is looking for more knowledge. And I've also benefitted from his post.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Lordsagna: 10:58pm On Jan 15, 2021
stambakky:
The chief of defence staff is a 4 star general while other service chiefs are 3 star general..so therefore chief of defence staff is superior to other service chiefs
Bro, I haven't heard anything from the chief of defence in terms of security that's why I'm asking if the position is potent cos it's brutai here and there.

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Lordsagna: 11:07pm On Jan 15, 2021
Nonexistent:
One is a snake charmer and the other is completely useless and unheard of. Do you need other differences?

Bro, I support the fact that the CDS is useless because if he has authority over brutai then the Nigeria army won't be a shadow of it's self.

4 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Nigeriabiafra80: 11:08pm On Jan 15, 2021
Similarities they are clueless

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by stambakky: 11:14pm On Jan 15, 2021
The chief of defence major role is the coordination of other military outfit i.e Airforce , navy and army in formulating policy and then report to the President

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by SUPERPACK: 11:50pm On Jan 15, 2021
Lordsagna:
Good evening Nlanders,
I hope it's chief of army because I've never heard of defence chief in the news. Is that position potent? because to me brutai is closer to the president than any military officers today in Nigeria. Someone even said there are some military officers brutai do salute is that true?...does brutai has total control of the army?....can he plan a successful coup?....are there some officers brutai do salute ( I mean does he also have seniors )? Can they control him?..... my questions are endless.. because I had an argument with someone today about the army ...I was shocked I didn't know shit.
https://www.nairaland.com/3812710/chief-defence-staff-vs-chief it has been discussed in this thread before.
In a coup situation the ranks are broken and it is a free for all fight and he who controls the machines and troops have the upper hand. The Brigadiers, colonels, majors and captains are normally the actors while the targets for elimination are the COAS, CDS, CNS, CAS. So both are in danger in a coup situation. But one of them will have to take over after the coup and this to me is based on who is a greater rogue.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by alizma: 11:51pm On Jan 15, 2021
Dapson73:

Is looking for more knowledge. And I've also benefitted from his post.
I also benefit from the question and response
Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by alizma: 11:54pm On Jan 15, 2021
SUPERPACK:
https://www.nairaland.com/3812710/chief-defence-staff-vs-chief it has been discussed in this thread before.
In a coup situation the ranks are broken and it is a free for all fight and he who controls the machines and troops have the upper hand. The Brigadiers, colonels, majors and captains are normally the actors while the targets for elimination are the COAS, CDS, CNS, CAS. So both are in danger in a coup situation. But one of them will have to take over after the coup and this to me is based on who is a greater rogue.
Very educative. Thanks
Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by AfonjaMuslim: 11:55pm On Jan 15, 2021
Chief of defence is a powerless and ceremonial position.
It's higher than the Chief of Army staff, only on paper

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by JohnBullMySon: 11:57pm On Jan 15, 2021
AfonjaMuslim:
Chief od defence is a powerless and ceremonial position.
It's higher than the Chief of Army staff, only on paper
lies,,,, Chief of defense staff is the boss of the defense headquarters. buratai submits to him. both in rank and position.

7 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by AfonjaMuslim: 11:59pm On Jan 15, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
lies,,,, Chief of defense staff is the boss of the defense headquarters. buratai submits to him. both in rank and position.
In reality, Buratai doesn't answer to him. It's a ceremonial position

5 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by JohnBullMySon: 12:03am On Jan 16, 2021
AfonjaMuslim:
In reality, Buratai doesn't answer to him. It's a ceremonial position
go and check the army chain of command, buratai reports to him and he to the presidency

7 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by JohnBullMySon: 12:05am On Jan 16, 2021
Lordsagna:
Good evening Nlanders,
the picture answers your questions, note who leads. army, Navy ,airforce chief of staff reports to him. check the link too

https://netstorage-legit.akamaized.net/images/74a4298ef84af92c.jpg

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Nobody: 1:32am On Jan 16, 2021
Chief of defence staff.

But,is he given the privilege to carry out his job??

The army,navy and other service chiefs answer to him.

But as the case maybe, he might just be another copy and paste chief.

Even the service chiefs are clueless and very secretive.

Lol

You and your friend don't have any important thing to argue about??
Even the person appointed isn't doing his job. You guys shouldn't break your heads over nothing hmmmm
Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Tranquill: 1:36am On Jan 16, 2021
Chief of Defense staff is higher in hierarchy but more of administrative coordinator as he has no troops under his command. He can't influence any change in government unlike the army chief.

3 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by SoftP(m): 3:58am On Jan 16, 2021
Chief of Defense staff - Ekiti state, South West
Chief of Army staff - Borno state , North east

Buhari - NORTH

Do ur cross game & see why Jacob became the favorite as against Esau who happens to be the first born

THIS IS NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Olakunleyakub(m): 4:13am On Jan 16, 2021
Chief of defense staff is the superior and all the service chiefs report to him in paper, rank and reality.

The defense chief is the head of defense headquarters with 4 star rank while others are 3 star although the rank does not really mean again cos there are so many 4 star generals working under buratai. I personally met one of those superior generals still working under buratai even dough most of them are always given a compulsory retirement for the fear of sabotage and coup. everything is appointment not really by merit again.

From brigadier general to major general to lieutenant general to general and the last one is Marshal but people hardly get to this last star even across the world the last star is not that common.

God forbid any war or coup defense chief will be the one to take over.

I think why he is not that popular is because he is not working directly with the grassroots...most people don't know him but the truth is that buratai and other chiefs act on his directives!

10 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Lordsagna: 6:37am On Jan 16, 2021
Tranquill:
Chief of Defense staff is higher in hierarchy but more of administrative coordinator as he has no troops under his command. He can't influence any change in government unlike the army chief.
but defence chief is a general and army chief is a lieutenant general.... meaning the general can command the lieutenant general and has influence to command troops over army chief because of his rank.
Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by iokpebholo: 6:39am On Jan 16, 2021
CodeTemplar:
Not true sir, defence only covers army,navy and airforce.Police stands alone in it's ministry (police affair)

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Nobody: 6:42am On Jan 16, 2021
CodeTemplar:

Remove police
Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by iokpebholo: 6:53am On Jan 16, 2021
In all chief of army staff is d most powerful,he has direct power of deployment and redeployment hence commands more loyalty.He also reports directly to president.Chief of defence staff is more of administrative position;he is mainly in charge of preparing budget for d armed forces.Please note that d army is d lead organization in d military so,d president always appoint his most trusted man to head.D president can appoint anyone as chief of defence staff cos he doesn't have direct command of d troops

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Bleiz(m): 7:26am On Jan 16, 2021
Chief of Defense Staff.
Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by larryUG(m): 7:28am On Jan 16, 2021
Oblongata:
Chief of defense staff oversees Chief of Army staff, Airforce, and Navy.

He is the boss of Chief of Army staff.

He is to coordinate on their activities and report to President. However, he(CDS) does not have direct command of any of the forces. He cannot issue a command to the COAS to attack or do anything. He cannot override the COAS decision when it comes to command and control or even postings of army personnel.
See it this way, in the hierachy of Government, a senator in a state is higher than a Governor. But a senator cannot directly control the state's affairs even if he is the senate president. He cannot make decisions in the state and appoint commissioners. So even though Ahmed Lawan is higherthan his state gov, his state gov wields more power in His state. Same here. Abayomi is higher but cant issue orders

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by Nigeriadondie: 7:34am On Jan 16, 2021
cry
Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by BigDawsNet: 7:46am On Jan 16, 2021
Chief of army staff

Controls the Nigerian Army

Chief of defense

Control all military and paramilitary in the country

Chief of amry staff likely report to Chief of defense
Re: Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence by BafanaBafana: 7:48am On Jan 16, 2021
The chief of Defence staff out-ranks the chief of army staff.
Who is more powerful however depends on who's head is stronger.
During Jonathan, Alex Badeh, the chief of defence staff was more powerful.
Now it is Buratai who is more powerful.
It should be noted though that the chief of army staff commands ground troops while the CDS doesn't.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jones Onyereri Foundation Empowers Imo Youths, Doles Out Cash / President Buhari Set To Launch The Revised National Population Policy Today / Abba Kyari’s Arrest: Obi Cubana Trends On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.