Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,019 members, 7,806,983 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? (9286 Views)

Poll: The average Nigerian is fraudulent. yes or no?

Yes: 53% (54 votes)
No: 46% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

The Average Nigerian Will Make 18% Less In 2015 / 'NUC Declares Aisha Buhari’s Certificate Fraudulent' - Nigeriantimes.ng / Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by segs4eva(m): 9:19am On Jul 03, 2007
Hi Nairaland users, let me know your opinion and please be sincere.

Do you think an average Nigerian is fraudulent? Whether home or abroad. Keep sending your views, wink
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by Eiregirl(f): 2:33pm On Jul 03, 2007
In my opinion, yes! I don't think I've met a Nigerian yet that hasn't done or isn't into fraud of one sort or another. undecided It makes life more difficult in the long run and I'm speaking from experience here. Anyway, that's my opinion, which I'm entitled to wink
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by queenb2(f): 11:42am On Jul 04, 2007
And you wonder why they call Nigerians International crooks, Even the British police wanted to know if there was a special school for frauds in Nigeria. They don't know it's in our blood. For a Nigerian to do the right thing is too hard. We lie, cheat, steal just to get what we want then again that is our way of life.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by segs4eva(m): 12:29pm On Jul 04, 2007
pls keep posting. But i think the negative side of nigerians is being exploited by international media. Don't u think we still have a reasonable number of noble nigerians all over the world making a difference!? embarassed
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by uchetobi(f): 12:45pm On Jul 04, 2007
I don’t think so
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by queenb2(f): 8:38pm On Jul 04, 2007
Yes oo I do believe a minority of Nigerians are honest.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by Njoy1(f): 6:56am On Jul 05, 2007
Yes, yes, yes, yes, we just cant help it, you said it queen-b.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by Angelheart: 1:07pm On Jul 05, 2007
segs4eva:

Hi Nairaland users, let me know your opinion and please be sincere. Do you think an average nigerian is fraudulent? Whether home or abroad. Keep sending your views, wink

YES! YES! YES! Its like they are trained to defraud!
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by angel101(f): 4:33pm On Jul 12, 2007
Only a minority of Nigerians is fraudulent. Trust me if the average nigerian was fraudulent, there will be no Nigeria today.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 12, 2007
queen-b:

And you wonder why they call Nigerians International crooks, Even the British police wanted to know if there was a special school for frauds in Nigeria. They don't know it's in our blood. For a Nigerian to do the right thing is too hard. We lie, cheat, steal just to get what we want then again that is our way of life.

madam abeg speak for your self and maybe yours.
There are still millions of Nigerians who live an honest life and earn an honest living
You just may not be one of us
Your post should read so.

And you wonder why they call  me an International crook, Even the British police wanted to know if there was a special school for frauds in Nigeria. They don't know it's in my blood. For me to do the right thing is too hard. I lie, cheat, steal just to get what[b] I [/b] want then again that is my way of life.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by tboy1(m): 4:58pm On Jul 12, 2007
@ poster

when i first saw this topic i was gonna write something like"speak for urself" but then i decided to think of all the naija boys i know(Nigeria,UK,US,Canada) and i've come to conclusion that ur right
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by smile4kenn(m): 5:04pm On Jul 12, 2007
An average Nigerian is fraudulent. Talk from the market women and men, they will want to ripe you off, also bankers same thing. You can stay at home and some one will write your waec for you. Lecturers can be paid so you can get high grades. Your engineer will never give you a good service so that he can be called next time. politicians will say and never do, many more, So many nigerians are corrupt
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by oIo(m): 5:11pm On Jul 12, 2007
WHO IS THIS AVERAGE NIGERIAN SEF?

U all know little to nothing of the average nigerian. My answer to d topic is NO!! the average nigerian isn't fraudulent.

CHEERS,
OIO
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by smile4kenn(m): 5:12pm On Jul 12, 2007
OIO

You are wrong
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by jaymobb(m): 5:15pm On Jul 12, 2007
yes o jare!
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by desgiezd(m): 5:16pm On Jul 12, 2007
I don't think an average Nigerian is fraudulent. If you juxtapose the number of fraudulent Nigerians with the rest of the population that are not fraudulent, you would discover that the fraudulent ones are definitely infinitesimal. Unfortunately, the activities of the fraudulent ones are being highlighted daily by the international media thereby giving  the impression that all Nigerians are fraudulent. Come to think of it, if 140m people are fraudulent, dont you think the whole world is in trouble?
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by jaymobb(m): 5:22pm On Jul 12, 2007
yes o jare! !
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by swing4real(m): 5:29pm On Jul 12, 2007
I don´t think so.There alot of Hard working Nigerians.You guys think Nigerians commit any crime compare to Asia people,Russians,Italians,Romania's or even India? We are just lousy and make alot of noise that is our problem and the International Media are doing a good job with it.My answer is NO
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by McKren(m): 5:29pm On Jul 12, 2007
May be we can only change our country and change who we are when we actually understand who we are. The answer to this question in my view depends on how we want to define fraud.

the dictionary defines being fraud as

fraud      /frɔd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[frawd] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage.  
2. a particular instance of such deceit or trickery: mail fraud; election frauds.  
3. any deception, trickery, or humbug: That diet book is a fraud and a waste of time.  
4. a person who makes deceitful pretenses; sham; poseur.  

In a country where most parents will lie about their children's date of birth to get them into school on time, most students copied at either secondary or high school, most people depend on who they know to get into work not merit, most people got contracts not because they are qualified to handle such contracts but because they are connected, most banks give loans to freinds without collateral, a country where queue is meant for only those who have no voice. Most Nigerian students who go abroad to study signing an undertaken that they will be home on completing their studies when they know they have no plans to do that.

All the above amount to fraud, their can hardly be any Nigerian who is free of all these. While the truth is that our system leaves us less choice on dos and donts. It is important to get our records straight.

However the choice of how we see ourselves is up to every individual.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by Aproko(f): 5:30pm On Jul 12, 2007
how can the average nigerian be fraudulent? are we talking about these same happiest people on earth?

you stay abroad and watch CNN and you have no clue about how the average nigerian struggles to make ends meet, and then just because one yahoo boy is your friend, it means the average nigerian boy that age is a fraudster.

so judas was jesus's desciple, does it mean that the average disciple of jesus is a betrayer?

i think people should know the meaning of words before yarning dust. angry angry
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by romeo(m): 5:47pm On Jul 12, 2007
Aproko:

how can the average nigerian be fraudulent? are we talking about these same happiest people on earth?

you stay abroad and watch CNN and you have no clue about how the average nigerian struggles to make ends meet, and then just because one yahoo boy is your friend, it means the average nigerian boy that age is a fraudster.

so judas was jesus's desciple, does it mean that the average disciple of jesus is a betrayer?

i think people should know the meaning of words before yarning dust. angry angry

tell them sister angry angry
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 12, 2007
Aproko:

biko say it again.
anybody that thinks man know man no dey for the west has never left Naija.
A simple phone call can cost  or get  one a  job and there'll be no questions asked.

Schools and colleges constantly give "expo" to students so that the school gets a lower failure rate which equals better ranking.
How about athletes who are constantly favoured with high scores to keep them on the team.
During my graduate studies,I had taken a tough exam where 20 marks had to be added because many people failed the exam and some of  us ended up with 110% while those who had 70(' C') ended up with an 'A'.

All those ads you see on paper that says "open until filled",you don't know someone already get am.
The ad is just a formality.
The policemen may not be opening hand collecting ten ten dollars but when they manhandle you for being black and let a white person slide,you go sabi say wayo dey here too.

Bribe here may not be money,they are donuts and coffee at work,invitations to dinners,nice Christmas presents for bosses,general sucking up such that those who don't do it don't get to progress in the workplace.

[b]Wayo is everywhere,my people.
What is the difference between 419 and the "work from home" or "get rich quick schemes"?
that are advertised in papers and on the internet?

No be for america a man went to get pectoral implants to define his chest muscles and the fake Italian doctor give am double D breasts?
A woman in Florida dies of Septicemia after another fake doctor gave her liposuction on her own bed.
Do those frozen foods look as appetizing as the picture on the cover says?[/b]The west is the king of wayo,Nigerians are not the only ones.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by seun001(m): 6:28pm On Jul 12, 2007
fraudulent might be a strong word to use.
bt i do know that a nigerian will not hesitate to take advantage of u if u let ur guard down.talk about being a sharpman and we are there.

smile4kenn:

An average Nigerian is fraudulent. Talk from the market women and men, they will want to ripe you off, also bankers same thing. You can stay at home and some one will write your waec for you. Lecturers can be paid so you can get high grades. Your engineer will never give you a good service so that he can be called next time. politicians will say and never do, many more, So many nigerians are corrupt

true talk!!!!
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by LongOne1(m): 6:39pm On Jul 12, 2007
Aproko:

I sure feel you, not all nigerians are corrupt but the painfull truth is that most are, so people tend to generalize. I for one am definitely not corrupt.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by CrazyMan(m): 7:04pm On Jul 12, 2007
Everyone isn't a fraudster.
It depends. I know that there are lots of average Nigerians who are trust worthy.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by denex: 7:32pm On Jul 12, 2007
The question is, Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent?

About 28 people have replied.

That means at least 9 of the people that posted on this topic are completely and irredeemably fraudulent. They will go out of their way to lie, cheat, steal, kill and destroy for personal gain.

10 of those that posted here are averagely fraudulent. Only when an irresistable opportunity is available will they lie, cheat, steal, kill or destroy for their personal benefit.

The remaining 6 people are those who are not fraudulent and will not engage in fraud except if blackmailed or threatened of life.

Finally, there are 3 people who posted on this thread that will not engage in any fraudulent activity for whatever reason. They rather die.

So which group do you belong to? For those of you who believe that the average Nigerian as fraudulent, these are the figures. So out of the 28 people so far on this thread, who are those 3 non-frauds?

I personally belong to the group of 6 so don't bother about me taking a slot.

So who are the 3 chosen ones?

Nonsense! Some people will just open their buccal cavity and be supporting rubbish statistics without knowing the implication it has on them.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by FLT123(m): 7:57pm On Jul 12, 2007
My people,

I am aghast at the responses to this post. I bury my head in shame for all of us who responded that the average Nigerian is fraudulent. If that is a reflection of who we are, then how can we salvage the future for future generation? I beg, we need to change our orientation. No wonder the whiteman thinks we are all crooks. I am a Nigerian, I am not fraudulent, it is hard to survive in Nigeria today if you are not but that does not translate into the fact that we are all fraudulent. I will hazard a guess that about 80% of Nigerians leaving outside Nigeria are very straight in their dealings but I cannot hazard same % for those at home.

Our leadership failure overtime has turned us into crooks and some names I cannot print, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I believe people are pressured into fraudulent activities just to make ends meet but a whole lot of that will disappear when we realize we can live decently without getting into deception.

The average Nigeria is not a crook, he may behave fraudulently just to survive and show me a man who will do differently if he is in the Nigerian shoe.

FLT
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by warfarian(m): 8:32pm On Jul 12, 2007
heyyyyy!!!!!!! whats up, whats wrong with fraud in the first place, it happens every where in the world, even in the most advanced countries like uk, us, can, etc, but the truth is just that anything we find ourselves doing, we do it with all our might and we imput more time and energy than others do, some average nigerian do fraud, there is no need lying or trying to cover up, the whites do it as well, but na we be baba for inside, i no blaim them sha, for suffer wey the white suffer us for the past, na pay back time be this, keeeeep it up naijas, abi una don forget the sayng which states try to be the best of what you find yourself doing
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by denex: 8:32pm On Jul 12, 2007
This is the kind of neo-colonialist superiority complex that I was hoping would not come from the almighty and sacred Jandons. But finally, here it is.

80% of the families of all the corrupt politicians abroad and all those drug pushers and all the Nigerians in foreign prisons. 80% of them are not fraudulent. It is the masses that have been robbed and bastardized that one cannot hazard a % for. Thank you very much. God bless you. God bless you O! You do well.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by FLT123(m): 8:49pm On Jul 12, 2007
denex:

This is the kind of neo-colonialist superiority complex that I was hoping would not come from the almighty and sacred Jandons. But finally, here it is.

80% of the families of all the corrupt politicians abroad and all those drug pushers and all the Nigerians in foreign prisons. 80% of them are not fraudulent. It is the masses that have been robbed and bastardized that one cannot hazard a % for. Thank you very much. God bless you. God bless you O! You do well.

Denex,

I take it that your post is in response to my post. What is neo-colonialist superiority complex from jandon? Instead of putting words together to create a fanfare why don't you logically focus on the issue. Now to your point, your argument (if I may call it that) makes one fundamental assumption that is flawed: Most Nigerians leaving outside the shore of Nigeria are either drug pushers or relatives of corrupt politicians. I don't even think their # combined is up to 20% of Nigerians leaving outside the country. We have a large percentage of Nigerian professionals in diaspora and they are not crooks. I am one of them and i know a lot more who are like that.

I await your sound logical analysis to counter my position.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by Tats(m): 9:05pm On Jul 12, 2007
@Eiregirl,

You really scare me grin You said you don't think you've met a Nigerian yet that hasn't done or isn't into fraud of one sort or another embarassed

Let me ask you, who are your friends? How come you've only been meeting fraudulent Nigerians?

You've never met me and I am Nigerian, so don't conclude grin grin
Re: Is The Average Nigerian Fraudulent? by Slycks(m): 9:07pm On Jul 12, 2007
Why do i open this thread. So funny

Keep posting

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Fg May Engage Us Marines! / Pictured: Unveiling The Only Child Of Ex-oil Minister, Diezani Alison-madueke / Zamfara Governorship Judgement Review: Supreme Court Fixes Date, March 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.