Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,420 members, 7,808,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! (1499 Views)

Nigeria Needs To Devaluate Naira, Ease Dollar Restrictions- Sanusi / Goodluck 2011( G-2011), Goodluck Solidarity Movement ( G S M), 3 G / Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by Pataki: 5:55pm On Apr 01, 2011
Political parties and individuals hoping to use telephone text messages to check electoral malpractices or relate on other election matters may be in for a shock as strong indications emerged on Thursday that the services of GSM operators might be restricted on election days (April 2, 9 and 16).

Our correspondent learnt that it was the thinking of the Federal Government that mobile telephone calls and text messages on the general elections should be restricted during the polls.

Sources said that government’s fears over possible abuse of mobile telephones on the days of the polls informed a meeting between security chiefs and the GSM operators in Abuja recently.

The meeting, which was at the behest of the Nigerian Communications Commission, deliberated on how to contain the possible spread of unverified results or other messages capable of increasing tension during the elections.

An integrated network of security for the elections, according to our source, was constituted by the security chiefs drawn from the military, the Police, the State Security Service and the office of the National Security Adviser.

The National Council of State had on Wednesday okayed the deployment of military on the streets to deal with thugs and other miscreants who might want to breach public peace during the elections.

The Executive Vice-Chairman, NCC, Dr. Eugene Juwah, confirmed THE PUNCH findings on Thursday in Abuja, during an interactive session the Minister of Information and Communications, Mr. Labaran Maku, had with journalists on the general elections.

“The NCC and security chiefs have already invited network operators and, as we are talking, measures are being put in place. The networks are so large and connected to the international community. These things (unwholesome text messages) cannot be stopped overnight,” Juwah said.

He assured that something was being done, but warned that telephone or text exchanges might be difficult to control.

Earlier, Maku, had expressed the displeasure of the government over the circulation of what he described as “unwholesome messages” through the mobile networks and, therefore, asked the NCC, the industry regulator to check the menace.

He said journalists and the GSM networks could constitute greater danger to the electoral process than religious fundamentalists.

The NSA, Gen. Owoye Azazi, had on Wednesday in Abuja expressed similar concerns on the reportage of the elections in an interactive session with the media. He urged that “national interest” should be above other considerations.

Maku, therefore, warned foreign journalists that had been accredited to cover the elections against picking their stories from local newspapers that he accused of aligning themselves with different political interests in the country.

The minister said, “In every election, security agents estimate threats that can be a problem to the election. There are no known threats that can disrupt the nation’s election.

“We have isolated cases of religious fundamentalism in Borno State, but there is no threat to the elections. The parties have concluded their campaigns in these places without any incidence.

“In fact, the only threat we fear is sensational reporting. If reports go wrong, they can threaten an election. A fundamentalist can disrupt election in one place but a reporter can disrupt election in the whole country.

“I am worried by the role played so far by telecommunications networks. Attacks are carried out daily through the networks without control. The NCC should meet with the heads of telecoms companies.”

An information technology expert who spoke with our correspondent confirmed that the GSM operators have the ‘functionality’ to restrict text messages or calls through their networks.

According to him, a ‘functionality’ such as text messaging can just be switched off.

“When that is done, it will affect everybody on the network. However, it can also be done on selective basis. Networks also have the capacity to screen text messages before allowing them to go to the recipients. However, these must be for numbers that are already on the watch of security agents,” he said.

The expert, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said blanket restriction would amount to taking actions that are only common in police states.

He added that because of competition, private operators were not likely to agree to such a measure since it had the capacity of limiting customers on their networks.

Apart from text messaging originating from mobile phones, advancement in information technology has made it possible for subscribers to originate and send messages to mobile phones through the Internet.

Sending text messages through the Internet could be cheaper and more convenient since bulk messages can be sent to hundreds and thousands of recipients simultaneously and even anonymously.

The Federal Government had in recent times been worried over the rising rate of technology-assisted crimes in the country.

Only on Monday, the NCC inaugurated the registration of Subscriber Identity Module cards and set a deadline of September 28 for the exercise to be completed.

The rationale is that if the owner of each SIM card in the country is known, it would be easy to trace any crime committed with the aid of a phone to a person.

THE PUNCH had recently reported that a total of 114.63m telecommunications lines had been connected as at the end of January, confirming the huge potential of the Nigerian telecommunications network as asserted by the NCC boss.

However, the total number of active lines, including mobile and fixed lines, by the end of January stood at 89.84 million.

In segmented terms, the number of connected GSM lines by the end of January stood at 96,547,864 lines, while active lines stood at 82,618,510.

The number of connected mobile lines offered by Code Division Multiple Access operators stood at 12,338,686, while active lines stood at 6,186,442. Out of a total of 2,741,983 fixed lines that were connected, 1,035,391 were active.

With the ubiquity of mobile phones and users, observers of the general elections say it would be easy for everyone at each polling booth to broadcast the result of the centre without having to wait for INEC to collate all the results.

The National Broadcasting Commission had warned recently that it was wrong for anyone to announce election result without a final word from INEC.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201104011564117
Re: Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by idontgiveafuck(f): 10:19pm On Mar 29, 2013
GOD PUNISH YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY!!!
fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu u stupppppiddddd bitchhhh. you are fuckkkkinggg waisting yourrrr time. u fuckkking insultedddd but yet cannot stand by your wordzzz bitch? do u even know the definition of demented? look into the dictionary and you will find your name next to it. I don't blame u it is your parents i blame, ur dad forgot to tell u that u were a mistake and a waste of sperm? please i have never seen where a man gets jealous of a woman. I HOPE YOU ARE NOT TURNING GAY!!!! YOU ARE IN NO WHERE UP TO PAR TALKLESS OF THE SHIITTT EXCRETING FROM YOUR MOUTH. HOW CAN YOU BE JEALOUS OF A BEAUTIFUL INTELLIGENT IGBO WOMAN Are the girls in your tribe that senseless and useless? Damn it most really be a shame. I see your insecurities are eating you up!!! your talking about having an intelligent conversation? u sound like a raging bull about to be slaughtered for meat. I know you and most nigerians alike detest the truth, but oh fuckkkkinnggg well the truth is going to be said wether you or anyone likes it or not maggot.

May thunder fire you and your children both born and unborn ode. I can present myself how ever the fuckkk i want online. like i said to the bastard liking your post if you don't like this thread go and make your own you scallywag. you think you have a thinking faculty? If you do then OSAMA BIN LADEN was the smartest person to ever walk on the face of this earth. How the fuckkk is someone suppose to have an intellectual conversation when people like you come to a thread that i created and start insulting me? This jargon u spew from your mouth show how shortsighted you are. From what you wrote it seems you suffer from a severe case of jealousy and envy. And as we all know that is what kills most Nigerians. I adabekee do not need to articulate anything to a rift raft like yourself. Darling you are not of the same caliber as me.

A dimwit like yourself seeking for attention should thoroughly ponder or contemplate what it is that you are going to write, whether it pertains to the topic at hand or you just want to show how jealous you are. I'm pretty sure your already deteriorating brain would not be able to comprehend that. A lot Nigerians(i hope only on Nairaland) claim to be intelligent but lack the commonsense factor. What will it benefit a man to be semi-book smart but lacks in being well rounded? I have also noticed those who claim to be brilliant and try to put other people down are the ugliest people on the face of this planet, the scums of the earth, the ones who people seeing them would instantly go blind. please stop suffering from a bruised ego... i'm pretty sure there are girls and guys here that can help you mend it.

oh... i see you and boilhead are yoorogba to. Ewoo that explains everything. lmpao, tribalistic mugus
Refrain from commenting on my pg. If you do not like this topic or its' content you are free to make your own... it wont cost you anything but to critically think.

May thunder fire you and your children both born and unborn ode. I can present myself how ever the fuckkk i want online. like i said to the bastard liking your post if you don't like this thread go and make your own you scallywag. you think you have a thinking faculty? If you do then OSAMA BIN LADEN was the smartest person to ever walk on the face of this earth. How the fuckkk is someone suppose to have an intellectual conversation when people like you come to a thread that i created and start insulting me? This jargon u spew from your mouth show how shortsighted you are. From what you wrote it seems you suffer from a severe case of jealousy and envy. And as we all know that is what kills most Nigerians. I adabekee do not need to articulate anything to a rift raft like yourself. Darling you are not of the same caliber as me.

A dimwit like yourself seeking for attention should thoroughly ponder or contemplate what it is that you are going to write, whether it pertains to the topic at hand or you just want to show how jealous you are. I'm pretty sure your already deteriorating brain would not be able to comprehend that. A lot Nigerians(i hope only on Nairaland) claim to be intelligent but lack the commonsense factor. What will it benefit a man to be semi-book smart but lacks in being well rounded? I have also noticed those who claim to be brilliant and try to put other people down are the ugliest people on the face of this planet, the scums of the earth, the ones who people seeing them would instantly go blind. please stop suffering from a bruised ego... i'm pretty sure there are girls and guys here that can help you mend it.

oh... i see you and boilhead are yoorogba to. Ewoo that explains everything. lmpao, tribalistic mugus
Refrain from commenting on my pg. If you do not like this topic or its' content you are free to make your own... it wont cost you anything but to critically think.

Re: Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by idontgiveafuck(f): 10:20pm On Mar 29, 2013
GOD PUNISH YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY!!!
fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu u stupppppiddddd bitchhhh. you are fuckkkkinggg waisting yourrrr time. u fuckkking insultedddd but yet cannot stand by your wordzzz bitch? do u even know the definition of demented? look into the dictionary and you will find your name next to it. I don't blame u it is your parents i blame, ur dad forgot to tell u that u were a mistake and a waste of sperm? please i have never seen where a man gets jealous of a woman. I HOPE YOU ARE NOT TURNING GAY!!!! YOU ARE IN NO WHERE UP TO PAR TALKLESS OF THE SHIITTT EXCRETING FROM YOUR MOUTH. HOW CAN YOU BE JEALOUS OF A BEAUTIFUL INTELLIGENT IGBO WOMAN Are the girls in your tribe that senseless and useless? Damn it most really be a shame. I see your insecurities are eating you up!!! your talking about having an intelligent conversation? u sound like a raging bull about to be slaughtered for meat. I know you and most nigerians alike detest the truth, but oh fuckkkkinnggg well the truth is going to be said wether you or anyone likes it or not maggot.

Re: Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by obowunmi(m): 12:30am On Mar 30, 2013
madam, this your behavior is not lady-like..... why are you raising your blood temperature like this now? undecided undecided
Re: Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by Nobody: 6:12am On Mar 30, 2013
obowunmi: madam, this your behavior is not lady-like..... why are you raising your blood temperature like this now? undecided undecided
She gave dog a Mouth Action unawares.. she just discovered lipsrsealed
Re: Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by wazobiaforu(m): 9:27am On Mar 30, 2013
Thanks for the Joke

Very soon gov will raise a law that electoral delegate must close their eyes during the election

The first person that brought that devilish idea will be in prison by 2015

1 Like

Re: Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 30, 2013
@ idontgiveafuck

WTF?
Re: Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by idontgiveafuck(f): 4:00am On Apr 02, 2013
sheyie2007:
She gave dog a Mouth Action unawares.. she just discovered lipsrsealed

ah ah take am easy nah, u know each time you type your T-rex gets worst. Take it easy jor wink
Re: Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by idontgiveafuck(f): 4:01am On Apr 02, 2013
Richfella: @ idontgiveafuck

WTF?

exactly wtf is one this page smiley
Re: Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by idontgiveafuck(f): 4:02am On Apr 02, 2013
obowunmi: madam, this your behavior is not lady-like..... why are you raising your blood temperature like this now? undecided undecided

how come the same thing can't be said for a man? My blood pressure is purrfect
Re: Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! by Nobody: 7:01am On Apr 02, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Billionaire Mike Adenuga Might Be Africa’s Richest Man: Forbes / Is This 100 Year Old Political Cartoon- Still As Accurate As Ever? / Train Kills Man At Oyingbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.