Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Do you know the difference between a Fruit And A Vegetable? Come In. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do you know the difference between a Fruit And A Vegetable? Come In. (404 Views)

What Is The Difference Between A Lake, A River, And A Stream? / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do you know the difference between a Fruit And A Vegetable? Come In. by The5DME(m): 5:03pm On Jan 17, 2021
I'm sure a lot of us don't know the difference between a fruit and a vegetable. So today, I'll be teaching us about that.

Well, there are two conventions used to differentiate between a fruit and a vegetable, which are: from a botanical and a culinary context.

From a culinary perspective:
Culinary simply means kitchen related stuffs.

1) So from a culinary standpoint, fruits and vegetables are separated based on taste: fruits are sweet or sour, and vegetables are more mild and savory.

2)Fruits make great garnishes, desserts, or juices, while vegetables are a hearty side dish or base for the main cours.

From a botanical standpoint:
Botanically speaking, a fruit is a seed-bearing structure that develops from the ovary of a flowering plant, whereas vegetables are all other plant parts, such as roots, leaves and stems.
By those standards, seedy outgrowths such as apples, squash and, yes, tomatoes are all fruits, while roots such as beets, potatoes and turnips, leaves such as spinach, kale and lettuce, and stems such as celery and broccoli are all vegetables.

Fruits that are commonly classified as vegetables:
Avocado
Tomato
Cucumber
Peppers
Eggplant
Olives
Pumpkin
Peas
Zucchini
Squash
Okra
Beans
Your tomatoes is actually a fruit and not a vegetable. An easy way to know a fruit is if it contains seeds,then it's a fruit.
Gracias.
For further reading
https://www.bhg.com/syndication/how-grow-birdseed/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/33991-difference-fruits-vegetables.html.

Pocohantas you would love this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do you know the difference between a Fruit And A Vegetable? Come In. by BabbanBura(m): 5:10pm On Jan 17, 2021
The5DME:
I'm sure a lot of us don't know the difference between a fruit and a vegetable. So today, I'll be teaching us about that.

Well, there are two conventions used to differentiate between a fruit and a vegetable, which are: from a botanical and a culinary context.

From a culinary perspective:
Culinary simply means kitchen related stuffs.

1) So from a culinary standpoint, fruits and vegetables are separated based on taste: fruits are sweet or sour, and vegetables are more mild and savory.

2)Fruits make great garnishes, desserts, or juices, while vegetables are a hearty side dish or base for the main cours.

From a botanical standpoint:
Botanically speaking, a fruit is a seed-bearing structure that develops from the ovary of a flowering plant, whereas vegetables are all other plant parts, such as roots, leaves and stems.
By those standards, seedy outgrowths such as apples, squash and, yes, tomatoes are all fruits, while roots such as beets, potatoes and turnips, leaves such as spinach, kale and lettuce, and stems such as celery and broccoli are all vegetables.

Fruits that are commonly classified as vegetables:
Avocado
Tomato
Cucumber
Peppers
Eggplant
Olives
Pumpkin
Peas
Zucchini
Squash
Okra
Beans
Your tomatoes is actually a fruit and not a vegetable. An easy way to know a fruit is if it contains seeds,then it's a fruit.
Gracias.
For further reading
https://www.bhg.com/syndication/how-grow-birdseed/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/33991-difference-fruits-vegetables.html.

Pocohantas you would love this.

Nice one
Re: Do you know the difference between a Fruit And A Vegetable? Come In. by pocohantas(f): 5:20pm On Jan 17, 2021

Thanks for this. It is enlightening.

I’ve never considered tomatoes a vegetable, though I also didn’t see it as a fruit.

Fruit is mango and agbalumo. grin

3 Likes

Re: Do you know the difference between a Fruit And A Vegetable? Come In. by The5DME(m): 5:26pm On Jan 17, 2021
pocohantas:

I’ve never considered tomatoes a vegetable, though I also didn’t see it as a fruit.

grin
Re: Do you know the difference between a Fruit And A Vegetable? Come In. by doggedfighter(f): 5:27pm On Jan 17, 2021
Educative
Re: Do you know the difference between a Fruit And A Vegetable? Come In. by JOACHINpedro: 5:37pm On Jan 17, 2021
pocohantas:

My food babe. How far na. grin
Re: Do you know the difference between a Fruit And A Vegetable? Come In. by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:49pm On Jan 17, 2021
One is composed mainly of sugar and the other mostly starch
Re: Do you know the difference between a Fruit And A Vegetable? Come In. by Reuben700: 9:01pm On Jan 17, 2021
pocohantas:

Well I always consider tomatoes a vegetable any day anytime grin

(1) (Reply)

Cheering News!!abia STATE POLYTECHNIC, Now Manufactures Enyimba Electric Bulb / 1,456 Of UTME Candidates Who Scored Above 300 Missed University Admission / Scheme Of Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.