Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce (29360 Views)

Bursaspor Vs Fenerbahce: Smoking 36-Year-Old Man Thought To Be A 'Child' / Mikel Obi Joins Trabzonspor, Turkish Club, To Pocket N1.22 Billion In 2 Seasons / Turkish Club, Gulspor Sells 18 Players To Buy 10 Goats (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by obembet(f): 7:20pm On Jan 17, 2021
Mesut Ozil has officially confirmed his move to Fenerbahce, bringing to an end his topsy-turvy seven-and-a-half year stay at Arsenal.

The 32-year-old, who had not featured for Arsenal since March 7, joins the Turkish club on a free transfer after his £350,000-a-week Gunners contract was terminated.

While the news has not yet been officially confirmed by either club, Ozil has now officially spoken out about the move, admitting he is 'very excited' in an interview with Turkish television channel NTV, also confirming that he will arrive in Istanbul on Monday morning.

'I am a Fenerbahce fan. That is why I am very happy to be coming to Turkey with Fenerbahce,' Ozil said. 'I'm very excited. God gave me the chance to wear this jersey as a Fenerbahce fan. God willing, I will carry it with honour and do everything I can for the team,' he added.

'Of course, I'm missing a few matches. I haven't played in a match in a while, but I am physically fit, I have no issues,' he said, adding he had been training with the first team at Arsenal during his time off the pitch.

It brings to an end Ozil's long and controversial spell in north London, where he won three FA Cups and one Community Shield following his arrival in a then club-record £42.5million deal from Real Madrid under Arsene Wenger.

The 2014 World Cup winner with Germany has not featured competitively for the Gunners in more than 10 months, with his last appearance coming in March's 1-0 win against West Ham when he assisted Alexandre Lacazette.

Ozil leaves Arsenal having played 254 matches for the club, scoring 44 goals and recording 77 assists in more than seven years.

He was named the club's Player of the Season in 2015-16, when they finished second in the Premier League to Leicester City.

Ozil was also named the PFA Fans' Player of the Month on three separate occasions in 2015.

The playmaker was involved in the 2014 FA Cup final victory against Hull City, which ended Arsenal's nine-year trophy drought, as well as when they defended their Cup crown against Villa a year later.

He also played a part in the Gunners' Cup triumph over Chelsea in 2017, but came up short against the same opponents in the Europa League final two years later.

Ozil also played 90 minutes in the 2018 EFL Cup final loss to Manchester City.

However, since signing a new £350,000 deal in January 2018, making him the highest-paid player at the club, he struggled to hit top form once Arsene Wenger left the club that summer.

He had a somewhat up-and-down relationship with Unai Emery - yet seemed rejuvenated in the first two months of Mikel Arteta's reign at the Emirates.

But he has not played post-lockdown - and has only been involved in two matchday squads, both back in June - and has recently taken to social media to display his affection for Arsenal alongside his disappointment at not being involved.

He was not selected in either the Premier League or the Europa League squads this season yet has continued to train with the first team.

The Athletic claim Ozil was set to earn around £7million at the Emirates Stadium between now and the end of the current campaign, but an early termination was agreed.

Ozil has also recently spoken of his affection for Fenerbahce during a Twitter &Q.A
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9154599/amp/Mesut-Ozil-signs-Fenerbahce-seven-half-years-Arsenal-finally-ends.html

He teased fans by saying: '
I grew up as a Fenerbahce fan as a kid in Germany - every German-Turkish person supports a Turkish team when they grow up in Germany.

'And mine was Fenerbahce. Fenerbahce is like Real Madrid in Spain. The biggest club in the country.'
https://twitter.com/MesutOzil1088/status/1350841841294467074?s=19

When asked by another Twitter followers which was his favourite district in the city, Ozil replied 'Kadikoy', which is where the club's stadium is located.

9 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Righteousness2(m): 7:27pm On Jan 17, 2021
Good for Him and Arsenal Football club..
That Free 350k was really a Burden on Arsenal.

Folks, Most Important news for all is that the Coming of JESUS Christ is upon us.
Enough of Entanglements with worldliness.
Repent and Accept JESUS today!
The next Moment will be Late.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by english1234567: 7:29pm On Jan 17, 2021
A
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by OBTMOS(m): 7:29pm On Jan 17, 2021
Finally free

3 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 17, 2021
Small player, small club. Goodluck to him sha. undecided
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Uyi168: 7:30pm On Jan 17, 2021
Righteousness2:

Folks, Most Important news for all is that the Coming of JESUS Christ is upon us.
This is not a religious thread.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Kolisky(m): 7:30pm On Jan 17, 2021
We wish him Good Luck Not Buhari grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Uyi168: 7:30pm On Jan 17, 2021
.. Footballers and lies..
Now, look at him saying he has been a fernabache fan since he was a kid.

If he signs for kano pillars tommorow, he would say the same thing..

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by bigdammyj: 7:30pm On Jan 17, 2021
Noted
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by samincredible44(m): 7:31pm On Jan 17, 2021
If I was ozil I would have waited till ending of the season.age isn't on his side and 350k till June woul have made sense

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by crossfm: 7:31pm On Jan 17, 2021
Good for him.
I just can't imagine a great talent like him waisting away.

3 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Ziyech(m): 7:32pm On Jan 17, 2021
Absolute baller. Arsenal will miss him.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by bewla(m): 7:32pm On Jan 17, 2021
Home sweet home
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Amazongeek: 7:33pm On Jan 17, 2021
Nice one Ozil
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by thaoriginator: 7:33pm On Jan 17, 2021
Thank God for you. That stupid Arsenal

2 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by theFilmtric: 7:33pm On Jan 17, 2021
Good for him
The incarnation man
Enzo Ferrari

theFilmtricsay

3 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by kalu61(m): 7:33pm On Jan 17, 2021
My flare for female who loves football like ops.

It's long overdue, Arsenal can breath now.

1 Like

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by BigotMan(m): 7:33pm On Jan 17, 2021
good riddance!
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by orykem: 7:34pm On Jan 17, 2021
he just sit dey look for arsenal for almost a year..
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by UncommonLogic: 7:34pm On Jan 17, 2021
[s]
Righteousness2:

[/s]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by thatigboman: 7:34pm On Jan 17, 2021
Ozil the islamic advocate. He should thank God that china doesnt watch turkish league

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Pharovo(m): 7:37pm On Jan 17, 2021
Arsenal is mad to leave Ozil put of their squad and also let him go in this manner. Useless disrespectful club. Politics everywhere

9 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Itisallright: 7:38pm On Jan 17, 2021
Best decision from both parties, I think Ozil is underperforming since contract extension and it's a big burden on Arsenal.... ß11
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by sammysmiles(m): 7:38pm On Jan 17, 2021
Good luck to him
The guy Don chop arsenal money tire..
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 17, 2021
congrats
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by lagusboyyy(m): 7:41pm On Jan 17, 2021
Congratulations to him, this guy was just chopping Arsenal money, without doing anything.
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Taiwojon(m): 7:43pm On Jan 17, 2021
praise the Lord oooo

finally finally.

now arsenal should go get a creative midfield ooo

Jesus save
Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by ipobarethieves: 7:44pm On Jan 17, 2021
cool this bobo with the Real Goat combo @Real Madrid that year cool. Arsenal dey ruin destiny

2 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Signs For Turkish Club, Fenerbahce by Ogegeodey(m): 7:45pm On Jan 17, 2021
Good for him

Fxck you Arteta

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Joe Aribo: From University Drop Out To Super Eagles No 10 (Video, Pics) / Is Victor Osimhen The New 'Yekini' Of Nigeria / Keshi Invites 15 Overseas-based Players, Shuns Mikel(list OF INVITED PLAYERS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.