Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,220 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

2021: Why Your Book Reading Plan Keeps Failing - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2021: Why Your Book Reading Plan Keeps Failing (164 Views)

Half-Salary: ASUU Ends NEC Meeting, Keeps Mum On Outcome / 2 Students Attempt Suicide In Ondo For Failing Exams / She Graduated In 2016 But Has Been Failing Two Particular Courses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2021: Why Your Book Reading Plan Keeps Failing by Olafran6(m): 11:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
The phrase “Readers are Leaders” is already a cliché. But let’s modify the phrase: ‘all readers might not be leaders but all leaders are readers.’ There is no limit to what unrivaled devotion to reading can do for you. It grows your mind, enriches your thoughts and improves your writing — to mention a few benefits. But this piece isn’t about the benefits of reading, so, let’s not be distracted.

I have (you might have) met people who read at least 100 books in a calendar year. That’s an average of one book in three days. I thought that when I finally meet those set of people I call ‘BOOKies’ that they’ll have two heads and five eyes or even be an alien/superhuman. I was disappointed. They were humans like me. They even had more day-to-day obligations to attend to than me. Yet they still managed to pull that off.

Now, don’t get me wrong, the goal of reading isn’t to match someone else’s reading prowess. It is for your personal transformation. However, the competition to read more than your friend is a healthy one, sometimes.

I guess that — with great enthusiasm — you’ve stacked/selected a list of books you intend to read this year, maybe even more than you read last year. But let me sincerely tell you that your reading goals might meet its waterloo if you don’t have an execution plan.

Below are a few — subtle but consequential and eccentric — reasons why you failed to meet up with your numbers last year and why you might suffer the same fate this year — despite your zest to read more.

1. Stop Reading What Doesn’t Interest You

I bought one of the Harvard Business Review books in 300L. It was about innovation and building a system. I bought it with all the excitement in me, hoping to ‘devour’ all the knowledge and emerge a ‘superhuman’ after. Lol. Unfortunately, I didn’t like the book from the first page. I struggled to read the first two chapters before I dropped it. That was the end of all the enthusiasm — at that time — that I had about the book.
Let me say it again: stop reading books you don’t like! If you get tired of a movie, what do you do? You stop seeing the movie, I guess. Do the same with books you don’t like too. Forcing a book that doesn’t interest you on yourself is a self-inflicting punishment. And it’s not your fault. Many factors could be involved. It’s not your fault.

Read More Here: https://olamidefrancis.medium.com/2021-why-your-book-reading-plan-keeps-failing-768271d9c3a8

(1) (Reply)

Deleted / 5 Things To Know About Incoming Fugashua VC Prof Maimuna Waziri / Yaba College Of Technology (YABATECH) Post UTME Screening Form For 2020/2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.