Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,244 members, 7,807,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? (1291 Views)

Ford Fusion 2007, 3.0L Engine. A Good Choice? / Is Lexus IS 250 A Good Buy? / 2018 Ford Raptor Velociraptor 6×6 Is A True Beast ( Photos And Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by bigbauer(m): 9:51am On Jan 18, 2021
Please is a 2018-2020 Ford F250 a good buy in Nigeria considering serviceability, availability of technicians spare parts etc?

I would've gone for a Toyota tundra, but Tundras has no diesel engines and their cab (dashboard, interior etc) looks dated compared to the competition.

cc:
gazzuzz
marpol
ikenna351
obafemee80
automotech
femtopford
hubcruz

2 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by bigbauer(m): 12:22pm On Jan 18, 2021
nobody has any info on this?
Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by bigbauer(m): 9:04am On Jan 19, 2021
127 views but no comments��
Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:16pm On Jan 19, 2021
Better get a tundra. Ford has few parts in Nigeria and very few knowledgeable technicians and it's even a diesel engine again. The tundra is better for Nigeria.
Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by bigbauer(m): 7:13pm On Jan 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Better get a tundra. Ford has few parts in Nigeria and very few knowledgeable technicians and it's even a diesel engine again. The tundra is better for Nigeria.

truly Toyota seems to dominate Nigeria market. I prefer diesel engines for anything above V6, Tundras and F250s are V8 engines, and will naturally consume fuel, Tundra itself is a fuel guzzler, secondly, diesel engines last twice longer than petrol engines. The major challenge will be technicians.

4 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by manikspears: 7:19pm On Jan 19, 2021
bigbauer:
Please is a 2018-2020 Ford F250 a good buy in Nigeria considering serviceability, availability of technicians spare parts etc?

I would've gone for a Toyota tundra, but Tundras has no diesel engines and their cab (dashboard, interior etc) looks dated compared to the competition.

cc:
gazzuzz
marpol
ikenna351
obafemee80
automotech
femtopford
hubcruz

Bro go for your ford o, ford is better than any chinko car because of safety and balance. Does not consume fuel like they say but don't be tempted to give your car to anyhow mechanics for maintenance so that you won't cry. Take your car to a proper work shop. They are cheaper than all those mechanics at the long run.

3 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by kingreign(m): 9:05pm On Jan 19, 2021
manikspears:

Bro go for your ford o, [s]ford is better than any chinko car because of safety and balance. Does not consume fuel like they say but don't be tempted to give your car to anyhow mechanics for maintenance so that you won't cry. Take your car to a proper work shop. They are cheaper than all those mechanics at the long run[/s].

Highly debatable Hearsay.
Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by manikspears: 11:34pm On Jan 19, 2021
kingreign:

Highly debatable Hearsay.

Don't dull your self o, non of them is hearsay. I have witnessed it at first hand. And if you know anything about auto-mobile you won't say such. Except you are a road side mechanic yourself that only knows about Toyota and Honda and that is still a lie sef most mechanic repair something small to provide your car with something that you will never get to repair till you sell the car.

5 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by kingreign(m): 11:39pm On Jan 19, 2021
manikspears:

Don't dull your self o, non of them is hearsay. I have witnessed it at first hand. And if you know anything about auto-mobile you won't say such. Except you are a road side mechanic yourself that only knows about Toyota and Honda and that is still a lie sef most mechanic repair something small to provide your car with something that you will never get to repair till you sell the car.

I should be asking you this.

It may also interest you that I have bedn handling an organization's fleet of Ford Edge and explorer vehicles for over 3 years, so I know them like the back of my hands.

This should bring to light that I am not a random road side half baked mechanic but an educated and highly knowledgeable and skilled professional.

1 Like

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by manikspears: 11:46pm On Jan 19, 2021
kingreign:

I should be asking you this.

It may also interest you that I have bedn handling an organization's fleet of Ford Edge and explorer vehicles for over 3 years, so I know them like the back of my hands.

This should bring to light that I am not a random road side half baked mechanic but an educated and highly knowledgeable and skilled professional.

What is the name of your organisation and the state it is in? By the way you handle ford,why is that please. you should know that the only reason Nigerians use chinco cars is because of their fuel consumption and their flooded parts in the market?

3 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by kingreign(m): 12:03am On Jan 20, 2021
manikspears:

What is the name of your organisation and the state it is in? By the way you handle ford,why is that please. you should know that the only reason Nigerians use chinco cars is because of their fuel consumption and their flooded parts in the market?

Not all information are for public consumption. Let's leave it like that.
I handle Ford because I know them very well. I fix them alot.

And no, Toyota is Never a chinko product. It's a Japanese brand. Tundra is purely an American truck.
Not all Toyota owners are using Toyota because of fuel economy. Eg Tundra Tacoma, land cruiser.

Toyota is more reliable and dependable and also parts are more cheaper and accessible to owners compared to Ford.
Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by manikspears: 12:15am On Jan 20, 2021
kingreign:

Not all information are for public consumption. Let's leave it like that.
I handle Ford because I know them very well. I fix them alot.

And no, Toyota is Never a chinko product. It's a Japanese brand. Tundra is purely an American truck.
Not all Toyota owners are using Toyota because of fuel economy. Eg Tundra Tacoma, land cruiser.

Toyota is more reliable and dependable and also parts are more cheaper and accessible to owners compared to Ford.

Explain reliable and dependable please. The second part was the same with what I stated...that you referred to as hearsay though

4 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by Agbabiakara: 8:22pm On Jan 20, 2021
If you have access to oem parts and good diesel fuel, then it is a good buy. I mentioned good diesel fuel because of the advanced emission system used that is very sensitive to bad diesel fuel. Also ensure you have time to take the car on highway drive once in a while so that the car can undergo full regen cycle. Do not worry about competent techs as they are available.
quote author=bigbauer post=98180552]Please is a 2018-2020 Ford F250 a good buy in Nigeria considering serviceability, availability of technicians spare parts etc?

cc:
gazzuzz
marpol
ikenna351
obafemee80
automotech
femtopford
hubcruz
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:37pm On Jan 20, 2021
manikspears:

Bro go for your ford o, ford is better than any chinko car because of safety and balance. Does not consume fuel like they say but don't be tempted to give your car to anyhow mechanics for maintenance so that you won't cry. Take your car to a proper work shop. They are cheaper than all those mechanics at the long run.

Una work na to come Nairaland dey talk rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by Kettlecorn: 9:30pm On Jan 20, 2021
bigbauer:

cc:
gazzuzz
marpol
ikenna351
obafemee80
automotech
femtopford
hubcruz

The Ford 6.7L scorpion engine is only about a decade old with 3 generations; 2011-2014, 2015-2019 and 2020-2021. It is a very powerful engine with the 3rd generation capable of over 1000 lb-ft of torque. My question to you would be what do you plan to do with this vehicle? If you are not towing or carrying anything big, why do you need such a powerful work truck? For a daily driver, it will be an expensive toy. This engine is known for some very expensive failures but when sorted, it is one of the best diesel truck engines on the market and has gotten better with each generation. Prior to 2020, all 6.7l engines were prone to injector pump failure. This failure can potentially destroy the fuel system and cause very expensive repairs. The EGR coolers are also known to fail. Pre 2015 models also experienced broken glow plugs and premature turbo failure. These are all relatively expensive repairs. Although it is meant to be a work truck, it is very comfortable and great for long distance travel. If you find a cheap 6.7l truck, make sure to have it checked out by a reliable diesel mechanic or you will buy someone's nightmare.
In terms of reliability and simplicity, I would rate the Tundra higher. It will also go as long as a diesel, easily going 400k reliable miles.

2 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by manikspears: 7:59am On Jan 21, 2021
HeavenlyBang:

Una work na to come Nairaland dey talk rubbish.

Road side mechanic spotted lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by bigbauer(m): 5:21pm On Jan 21, 2021
Kettlecorn:

The Ford 6.7L scorpion engine is only about a decade old with 3 generations; 2011-2014, 2015-2019 and 2020-2021. It is a very powerful engine with the 3rd generation capable of over 1000 lb-ft of torque. My question to you would be what do you plan to do with this vehicle? If you are not towing or carrying anything big, why do you need such a powerful work truck? For a daily driver, it will be an expensive toy. This engine is known for some very expensive failures but when sorted, it is one of the best diesel truck engines on the market and has gotten better with each generation. Prior to 2020, all 6.7l engines were prone to injector pump failure. This failure can potentially destroy the fuel system and cause very expensive repairs. The EGR coolers are also known to fail. Pre 2015 models also experienced broken glow plugs and premature turbo failure. These are all relatively expensive repairs. Although it is meant to be a work truck, it is very comfortable and great for long distance travel. If you find a cheap 6.7l truck, make sure to have it checked out by a reliable diesel mechanic or you will buy someone's nightmare.
In terms of reliability and simplicity, I would rate the Tundra higher. It will also go as long as a diesel, easily going 400k reliable miles.

wow, this is insightful. I won't be towing, and less likely to haul much, I just love trucks, and intend to use it as a daily drive and yes, i travel a lot due to what I do. So I'll be moving across the country with it. Tundra was my first choice but has no diesel engine, I don't think driving a V8 petrol engine is a smart move and especially considering the fact that Tundra is a fuel guzzler, + it's dated features. I considered the F250 coz it's a Turbo Charged diesel engine, which means it can move when speed is needed. (At least before a car snatcher or kidnapper reach me make e sweat small).
Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by bigbauer(m): 5:25pm On Jan 21, 2021
Agbabiakara:
If you have access to oem parts and good diesel fuel, then it is a good buy. I mentioned good diesel fuel because of the advanced emission system used that is very sensitive to bad diesel fuel. Also ensure you have time to take the car on highway drive once in a while so that the car can undergo full regen cycle. Do not worry about competent techs as they are available.
quote author=bigbauer post=98180552

cc:
gazzuzz
marpol
ikenna351
obafemee80
automotech
femtopford
hubcruz
[/quote]

thanks for your contribution, yes the vehicle will be doing interstate at least thrice monthly. Clean diesel is what I can't guarantee, considering the country we're in (Nigeria)
Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by sultaan(m): 6:06pm On Jan 21, 2021
Reviews from those who use one is very good.
A very powerful truck used to pull heavy loads by owners.
Heavy duty trucks are work trucks, but for those who want it for daily driving it might get expensive fueling it.

The current generation of diesel engines comes with DEF that help keep emissions low.
Using a modern car in Nigeria has it hassles, but if you can afford a ruck like that you don't need the opinions of those who do not know what you are talking about.

The only question is, the 2018 f250 is new, and expensive, is it necessary to get the heavy duty or by a light duty truck.
If you need a heavy duty, have a thorough inspection before you buy the truck

4 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by bigbauer(m): 8:24pm On Jan 21, 2021
sultaan:
Reviews from those who use one is very good.
A very powerful truck used to pull heavy loads by owners.
Heavy duty trucks are work trucks, but for those who want it for daily driving it might get expensive fueling it.

The current generation of diesel engines comes with DEF that help keep emissions low.
Using a modern car in Nigeria has it hassles, but if you can afford a ruck like that you don't need the opinions of those who do not know what you are talking about.

The only question is, the 2018 f250 is new, and expensive, is it necessary to get the heavy duty or by a light duty truck.
If you need a heavy duty, have a thorough inspection before you buy the truck

I appreciate this, unbaised but objective. Tacoma has a diesel engine, but its features are dated, F150 is a bit light (light vehicles tens to get stuck radio) though has the same cabin with f250. F250's fuel consumption isn't that bad, 12litres/100 km. Besides it's a diesel engine, and Turbo Charged, Turbo Charger reduces fuel consumption by 3-5% diesels don't burn as fast as petrol, + with the way things are going, very soon the so called subsidy on petrol will be completely eliminated meaning the price difference won't be much again. And I'm considering a 2018model coz like you said it's a bit modern and is less likely to gimme engine issues. Maintenance on diesel engine is basically oil+ filter, and gas filter change. But I may be wrong,

1 Like

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 8:46pm On Jan 21, 2021
bigbauer:

wow, this is insightful. I won't be towing, and less likely to haul much, I just love trucks, and intend to use it as a daily drive and yes, i travel a lot due to what I do. So I'll be moving across the country with it. Tundra was my first choice but has no diesel engine, I don't think driving a V8 petrol engine is a smart move and especially considering the fact that Tundra is a fuel guzzler, + it's dated features. I considered the F250 coz it's a Turbo Charged diesel engine, which means it can move when speed is needed. (At least before a car snatcher or kidnapper reach me make e sweat small).
search femtopford here on nairaland, if he can handle repairs of your truck then you have no problems. Radautoworks also has a very good workshop which i visit once once, you can talk to her and see what she has to say as per maintenance. I dont know anything about the truck you want to buy and most people commenting here are just making posts out of sentiments. Call those two people, if they can handle that toy then go ahead and get it.. Cheers cool

2 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by bigbauer(m): 9:24pm On Jan 21, 2021
MASTAkiLLAh:
search femtopford here on nairaland, if he can handle repairs of your truck then you have no problems. Radautoworks also has a very good workshop which i visit once once, you can talk to her and see what she has to say as per maintenance. I dont know anything about the truck you want to buy and most people commenting here are just making posts out of sentiments. Call those two people, if they can handle that toy then go ahead and get it.. Cheers cool

femtopford confirmed he's cool with it. Repairs and parts. I believe he is capable.The challenge is, he's just one person, and I love having multiple choice.

1 Like

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 9:28pm On Jan 21, 2021
bigbauer:

femtopford confirmed he's cool with it. Repairs and parts. I believe he is capable.The challenge is, he's just one person, and I love having multiple choice.
radautoworks, gazzuzz

2 Likes

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by Kettlecorn: 11:07pm On Jan 21, 2021
bigbauer:

You should note that all diesel engines manufactured for the US market require Ultra Low Sulfur diesel. Is this available in Nigeria? The F250 also uses/needs DEF fluid for the emissions systems to work properly (availability an issue?). A tank of DEF lasts anywhere from 3k to 6k miles depending on how you drive, YMMV. Vehicle will go into limp mode if you run out of DEF fluid and be limited to 50mph. It may even refuse to start after so many starts with no DEF fluid. A potential way around these issues is to delete the DPF/DEF exhaust system, run straight pipes and retune the engine but you need a very knowledgeable mechanic to do that. Or if you're lucky to find one, buy one manufactured for the Mexican market that lacks all the emissions stuff. Having said all this, it may be easier to buy a diesel Tacoma that lacks all the complicated emissions stuff and can run any type of diesel if you are determined to drive a diesel truck.

1 Like

Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by mh53(m): 2:49am On Jan 22, 2021
The 6.7L powerstroke could be challenging to use here because of it’s emissions system. TheCarWizard on youtube made a video about these generation of Ford powerstrokes. I still think cummins makes much better diesel powertrains (their old V8 diesels are highly sought after). It’s just a pity that only few dodge and Nissan trucks have that engine option. Sourcing parts will likely be a problem for the powerstrokes, I sincerely hope you have a trusted contact abroad who could source parts for you quickly once the need arises.
Re: Is 2018 Ford F250 6.7l Powerstroke Engine A Good Buy In Nigeria? by bigbauer(m): 8:28am On Jan 22, 2021
Kettlecorn:

You should note that all diesel engines manufactured for the US market require Ultra Low Sulfur diesel. Is this available in Nigeria? The F250 also uses/needs DEF fluid for the emissions systems to work properly (availability an issue?). A tank of DEF lasts anywhere from 3k to 6k miles depending on how you drive, YMMV. Vehicle will go into limp mode if you run out of DEF fluid and be limited to 50mph. It may even refuse to start after so many starts with no DEF fluid. A potential way around these issues is to delete the DPF/DEF exhaust system, run straight pipes and retune the engine but you need a very knowledgeable mechanic to do that. Or if you're lucky to find one, buy one manufactured for the Mexican market that lacks all the emissions stuff. Having said all this, it may be easier to buy a diesel Tacoma that lacks all the complicated emissions stuff and can run any type of diesel if you are determined to drive a diesel truck.

wow, this is one of most educating piece I've read on this issue. So if I must drive F250, it's better I get the one made for Mexican markets. Thanks so much for this information.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help - My Corolla 2005 Goes Off In Traffic Jam / Review On Honda Civic 2009. Please Kindly Advice / Code P0141- Circuit Malfunction And 163-2 Ho2s B1 S2 Heater

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.