Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:05 PM

Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? (24838 Views)

Fullstack, Backend And Frontend Developers Needed To Join Our Team / Gurus In The House, What Do Backend Developers Do? / Asp.net(.NET Developers) Paid More Than Other Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Mac2016(m): 1:22pm On Jan 19, 2021
Anyone that can crack Prota steel design suite here?
Also I have an issue. I uninstall a software and install again but pc still reads it that my system has used the software before.
Anyone versatile with cracked prota structure with active steel designer on windows 10 here?
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by CSTRR: 1:23pm On Jan 19, 2021
Karleb:
Because it's harder.

Ask full stack developers.

I know back end devs that think front-end is harder.
It is not easy to design beauty. It takes a special kind of talent.

Back-end is like maths. Anybody can solve maths.
Front-end is like architecture.
Architecture uses both sides of the brain. Architecture is harder.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Tats(m): 1:25pm On Jan 19, 2021
trigar12:

This example or description is wrong.

A better example is:

A front developer is the event planner that will arrange an event center. Arrange chairs cleans them and make sure everything is order

While

Back end are caterers that dish out foods to people that will attend the event.

If a front end developer is so good and knows his onions, he will earn more than a backend developer.

No cap

This your example get as e be angry
certainly not a good example. More like the Back end developers cook the food and the front end developers dish it our in a presentable way. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by ibkayee(f): 1:25pm On Jan 19, 2021
I don’t think front end is necessarily easy, it no longer mainly comprises of just HTML and CSS like the yesteryears but I was always under the impression that back end work was ‘harder’ than front end

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Tats(m): 1:27pm On Jan 19, 2021
CSTRR:

I know back end devs that think front-end is harder.
It is not easy to design beauty. It takes a special kind of talent.

Back-end is like maths. Anybody can solve maths.
Front-end is like architecture.
Architecture uses both sides of the brain. Architecture is harder.

Certainly Front End is not easy and have to deal with users or clients and their expectations.
There is a lot of iteration to get the front end right and acceptable to users, so definitely not easy and no one should attempt to belittle the work that FE Developers do.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by peacettw: 1:28pm On Jan 19, 2021
chingle5:

Which one is backend capturing the entire business logic...... In fact that your example is actually the reverse u backend developers are actually the shoe shiner and we the frontend developers are the shoemaker coz we create the product while u people just come from nowhere to just come and be updating one yeye database and throwing request from one place to another place base on CRUD in fact u guys are the shoe shiner angry

Emmm. Even though I am relatively new to this business, I understand backend developers do the heavy duty work.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by cixak95211: 1:29pm On Jan 19, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Same as front

Without frontend, backend is useless
Without backend, frontend is just as useless as nothing

False.
Most heavy duty APIs dont have a GUI and are used by millions of people.
Can you call that useless?
Using gmail as an example. with the API, backend only , i can login, read emails, save emails, send emails delete emails perfectly.
With just the front end alone and backend disconnected, I cannot even login to gmail. Can only view the landing page, which says welcome to gmail , thats all.
so you tell me which one is useless?

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by CSTRR: 1:29pm On Jan 19, 2021
ibkayee:
I don’t think front end is necessarily easy, it no longer mainly comprises of just HTML and CSS like the yesteryears but I was always under the impression that back end work was ‘harder’ than front end
Nerds like back-end. It is straight-forward.
A+B=C
Once you know A and B, you can get C.

In front-end, you have to think about how to arrange A,B, and C to get the best possible aethestics and functionality.

Front-end is harder abeg.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Tats(m): 1:30pm On Jan 19, 2021
JohnCloud:
I think it is very wrong to claim that one is much more difficult than the other.
The difficulty of each depends on the project. There are some projects that embed majority of the business logic on the frontend, and there are also some projects that embed most of the business logic in the backend.

Also, don’t forget that there are some project that the backend has to service not just the frontend, but also the mobile APPs and maintain the APIs.

However, the pay depends on the skill set, your project and the importance of your role in the project.

E.g if I am building a product that needs to do lots of complex logic and data manipulation which just requires rendering on the front end, the backend would definitely be paid more.

On the other hand, if the majority of the logic is handled by the frontend, then the frontend would be paid more.

Anyone that outrightly states that one is better than the other either has no experience doing both on different projects or is too biased towards to understand that the dynamics of the difficulty can change.

You are correct. That is why I mentioned that I demand that more of the business logic is done on the back end on my projects. You can't avoid putting some business logic on the front end in some cases.
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by CSTRR: 1:33pm On Jan 19, 2021
Tats:

Certainly Front End is not easy and have to deal with users or clients and their expectations.
There is a lot of iteration to get the front end right and acceptable to users, so definitely not easy and no one should attempt to belittle the work that FE Developers do.
Exactly.
It is front-end developers that have to deal with the customers and their varying taste.

I am aiming to be full stack, but front-end is no joke.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by JohnCloud(m): 1:33pm On Jan 19, 2021
chineduuf:

Lol... If you are comparing frontend to backend based on just CRUD, and you feel backend is only based on CRUD, then you are ill advised my friend.

Being a backend developer, you MUST have the basics of a frontend developer, like it or not.
Yes, most applications are based on CRUD, but then, have you as a frontend developer ever wondered the amount of processing that goes on behind the scene?
Take for simple instance, a simple result processing application. Have you ever wondered the amounts of logic required to do the computation of the results behind the scene?

And yes, it is the job of the backend developer to do the coupling of the "YEYE" database, business logic and the frontend.

In many cases, especially in Nigeria where there are no boundaries, the backend developer plays a vital role in setting up the deployment environment (which I am almost sure you have no idea of). Don't worry, I am not talking about whogohost, Bluehost and the other click and upload environments. Talking managing VPS, load balancers, multitier architecture, caches, multi authentication, distributed systems, etc. As a backend developer, it is a requirement to have basic knowledge of these. Let me just stop here[

Please, don't get me wrong. I am not saying frontend is unsophisticated or easy. When you start using a lot of JavaScript and frontend frameworks like ReactJS, Angular, Vue,Ember, BackboneJS and the rest of them, frontend too get quite complex in it's own way.

But then, comparing frontend to backend, get your facts right.

Cheers!

In this case you’re not just doing the work of a backend, you’re also doing the work of a devOPS, a Software Architect and also a Quality assurance executive.

But, backend itself may not be as difficult as frontend on some projects. You should also note that, there is devOPS, architecture and the likes on frontend too.

None is more difficult than the other. The difficulty depends on the project.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by The5DME(m): 1:34pm On Jan 19, 2021
Even people who don't know how to use MS-office are commenting.
Smh
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by CSTRR: 1:36pm On Jan 19, 2021
A customer will tell the front-dev that they don't like the background-color of a website or the arrangement .

He would have to modify and modify hundreds of codes.

in the meantime, a back-end dev has done his Job and gone to sleep.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by ibkayee(f): 1:38pm On Jan 19, 2021
CSTRR:

Nerds like back-end. It is straight-forward.
A+B=C
Once you know A and B, you can get C.

In front-end, you have to think about how to arrange A,B, and C to get the best possible aethestics and functionality.

Front-end is harder abeg.
The little front end stuff I’ve done is very basic so maybe I just don’t have enough experience in this area

I have more experience with back end development and I found it more ‘heavy duty’, maybe the level of difficulty is situational I dunno
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by ibkayee(f): 1:38pm On Jan 19, 2021
The5DME:
Even people who don't know how to use MS-office are commenting.
Smh
Lmao
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by cixak95211: 1:39pm On Jan 19, 2021
JohnCloud:
I think it is very wrong to claim that one is much more difficult than the other.
The difficulty of each depends on the project. There are some projects that embed majority of the business logic on the frontend, and there are also some projects that embed most of the business logic in the backend.

Also, don’t forget that there are some project that the backend has to service not just the frontend, but also the mobile APPs and maintain the APIs.

However, the pay depends on the skill set, your project and the importance of your role in the project.

E.g if I am building a product that needs to do lots of complex logic and data manipulation which just requires rendering on the front end, the backend would definitely be paid more.

On the other hand, if the majority of the logic is handled by the frontend, then the frontend would be paid more.

Anyone that outrightly states that one is better than the other either has no experience doing both on different projects or is too biased to agree that the dynamics of the difficulty can change.

Business logic and frontend SHOULD NOT BE USED in the same sentence.
If you're adding business logic to your frontend, then your design is pretty flawed and should be rewritten.
You're always warned to avoid adding even a line of business logic to the frontend,
Even at the the backend, the business logic has to be split into layers with each layer inside its own interface and independent/separated from other layers.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by CSTRR: 1:39pm On Jan 19, 2021
ibkayee:

The little front end stuff I’ve done is very basic so maybe I just don’t have enough experience in this area

I have more experience with back end development and I found it more ‘heavy duty’, maybe the level of difficulty is situational I dunno
It is situational.
Some websites are heavy duty.
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by ibkayee(f): 1:40pm On Jan 19, 2021
CSTRR:

It is situational.
Some websites are heavy duty.
The aesthetics?
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Medicinest: 1:41pm On Jan 19, 2021
grin
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by SweetVibe: 1:42pm On Jan 19, 2021
trigar12:

This example or description is wrong.

A better example is:

A front developer is the event planner that will arrange an event center. Arrange chairs cleans them and make sure everything is order

While

Back end are caterers that dish out foods to people that will attend the event.

If a front end developer is so good and knows his onions, he will earn more than a backend developer.

No cap
You failed here

An event planner should be more liken to the API

Front-end is simply the outlook (appearance)

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by CSTRR: 1:42pm On Jan 19, 2021
ibkayee:

The aesthetics?
Yes, and the arrangement.
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by JohnCloud(m): 1:42pm On Jan 19, 2021
cixak95211:

Business logic and frontend SHOULD NOT BE USED in the same sentence.
If you're adding business logic to your frontend, then your design is pretty flawed and should be rewritten.
You're always warned to avoid adding even a line of business logic to the frontend, backend
Even at the the backend, the business logic has to be split into layers with each layer inside its own interface and independent/separated from other layers.

It is not flawed.

It depends on the project you are working on. You are seeing frontend as just a rendering platform.
Your project determines that.

Example, what if based on your project you want to just use a 3rd-party to save/retrieve data and use a backend-service as a proxy?

You need to work on variety of projects to understand that one does not outweigh the other, but most times the backend has to do more because more projects want to take off the heavy lifting from the frontend.

Also, I understand you are going deep to DDD. This is high level logic and the context is not design, but rather comparison between frontend and backend.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by EzzyCarter: 1:42pm On Jan 19, 2021
stupidmod2:
its like anal n pussy

anal sex is more expensive cause not all women allow it

Motherfcker grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by taylormed2(m): 1:43pm On Jan 19, 2021
Well earlier, when everything was console, backend was the bomb. Trying to make these services available to the layman and the layman's need for flashy substances saw front end come in. Although some projects don't require much front end and vice versa. If a backend dev builds a bad backend, that site would suffer but not all fe are required to be complex and this also goes the other way sometimes. But I'm more inclined towards backend cause we survived without them before.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by ibkayee(f): 1:43pm On Jan 19, 2021
CSTRR:

Yes, and the arrangement.
Ok fair enough
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by 99thEnemy(m): 1:43pm On Jan 19, 2021
chingle5:
I still don't understand why backend developers are been paid more than frontend developers even though frontend development is harder than backend development I just don't get it..... undecided
WTF are you saying... You are definitely a JJC grin

You said what?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by cixak95211: 1:43pm On Jan 19, 2021
CSTRR:
A customer will tell the front-dev that they don't like the background-color of a website or the arrangement .

He would have to modify and modify hundreds of codes.

in the meantime, a back-end dev has done his Job and gone to sleep.

Have you done anything relating to f r a u d detection ?
if yes, then you'll know backend engineers rarely sleep well especially those in fintech.
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Bellotelli: 1:45pm On Jan 19, 2021
Becos las las na nyansh many men value pass grin
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Gabbriell: 1:46pm On Jan 19, 2021
chingle5:
I still don't understand why backend developers are been paid more than frontend developers even though frontend development is harder than backend development I just don't get it..... undecided

First of all;

PRACTICALLY speaking, there is nothing like Front-end and Backend developer as regards computer programing. If you are talking about a computer programmer vs Graphics designers...it will be understandable.

Now to answer your questions;

A company might decide to partition their programmers based on front-end and back-end on the basis of knowledge, experience and trust.

Those working at the backend get more money because they handle more vital tasks such as maintenance, security and financial transactions. Those are areas the company gets its money. Should onions start dancing in those area, the whole company will be in trouble.

Think of those working on front end VS back-end as cashiers VS accountants in a bank.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by SweetVibe: 1:47pm On Jan 19, 2021
BigDawsNet:

So you mean all this functions are not codes?

So where do you generate those functions from

Do you just install them

What is the sources of this functions?
you asked the dundee a very nice question, some of them wont even keep silent if they are not knowledgeable about a subject matter

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Web Developers / Freelaancers: How Are You Getting Paid From Outside Nigeria? / Without Using Pow Function In C / Could Lagos, Nigeria Be The Next Silicon Valley? - American Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.