Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) (1271 Views)

Baby And Me - A Crime Story / The Midnight Encounter (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) / AZEME : A Campus Crime Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by C8t8(m): 10:38am On Jan 19, 2021
Synopsis
Teenage girls and ladies are turning up dead in Mbaino village, located in the heart of Enugu, raped and mutilated. Innocent Blessing Ekweremadu, aged twenty came to the village from Lagos to spend some time with her parents after getting implicated at her place of work. But when the devil sighted her, he began a frantic race to get her too. Blessing who was used to having devils for supper, now finds herself eligible for the devil's supper. She is unaware of the danger but the devil is already hungry and tails her everywhere. Follow Blessing as she runs up and down in the small village, trying to escape from the devil bent on having her for supper. Blessing is smart but the devil is smarter, and a crazy psychopath. Isn't Blessing doomed already?

Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by C8t8(m): 10:41am On Jan 19, 2021
Prologue

It was sunset already in the village of Mbaino. The sky was a golden orange, lit up by the light from the setting sun. Birds chirped and flew across the sky for the evening games. Their melodious songs resonated round the village as they played. A gentle breeze was blowing, swaying and manipulating the trees and plants into dancing a forced, glorious dance.

Mama Nneka dashed out of the mud house, clutching a clay pot. In her mouth danced a long chewing stick, digging into the crevices of her teeth to get rid of food remnants. She stared at her goat and her kids as they fed on green palm fronds she had earlier ordered Obinna, her son to get for them. She threw away the contents of the pot and turned back inside.

She walked inside and froze at seeing something. Nneka, her seventeen-year-old daughter lay on the floor, sleeping soundly.

“Chi m'O!” Mama Nneka screamed as she reached out for the pestle standing beside her and walked up to her.

Nneka's eye flashed open as she saw her mother approaching with a pestle and she quickly scrambled up and fled for dear life.

“You should have waited, ogbanje! You should have waited until I strike this against your round, plaited head. You would then have known that one don't sleep while his/her mother cooks the family's food. Ekwensu! Ewu,” Mama Nneka swore angrily at Nneka.

“Before I snap my fingers, get into the house now and get the water pot. And go to the river and get water for me. You heard me?” she asked.

“Yes, mama,” Nneka replied from outside.

%%%%%%

Nneka dug her teeth into the tamarind fruit as she broke into a fast walking rhythm. It was dusk already and her mother won't be pleased with her as she was late already. It was the stupid tamarind, it had been so difficult to pluck. The tantalizing thought of how it would taste like kept her spending minutes before she finally succeeded in plucking it.

Now, as she balanced the water pot on her head, she felt very worried. Even the dark bush path she was taking worried her. The eerie sounds of evening crickets and birds made her scared. She couldn't run so that the pot on her head won't fall. So she kept moving at a fast pace.

Suddenly, the bush to her right side rustled and as she tried to scream, she saw the person jump out of the bush and seeing him, she felt relieved.

“You scared me!” she accused as she watched him as he rose.

He still took her breath away anytime she sees him. He was handsome and muscular in build. Every girls had a ‘spot’ for him but he kept saying he had his own fiancé.

“So you can be scared?” he laughed. “So easily?”

Nneka shone her eyes at him. And when he saw her look, he smiled and threw up his hands in mock surrender.

“I'd better be going,” Nneka voiced out. “Mama will turn me to foofoo. I'm late already.”

“Here, let me help you with the pot,” he said and went behind her.

Nneka smiled and waited for the pot to be lifted off her head. After seeing no action, she turned to look and suddenly she felt something heavy descend on her head. She fainted even before she reached the ground.

How was this?
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by C8t8(m): 10:47am On Jan 19, 2021
Mielanjmk
Ann2012
famopompy
skubido
hardes
ezeknove
doctorexcel
Adeola25
Missmossy
Jamesbiodun
poetictwenty
khriztarl
ayemileto
flowergirl040
christipsy
tominix
enirock
doggedfighter
yungbanks
chatinent
Elvictor
PenHub
mhizv
Herbiedeen
samuel19222
Tonyspecial
duruZed
Ismaxx
dawno2008
Sliss
Ann2612
Kentuforchrist
funbi2020
Mummyclieva
EkopSparoAyara
blazebaba
VincenzoZhuxu
Joneyxto

My followers from Revenge, another story has landed cheesy wink
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by doggedfighter(f): 11:10am On Jan 19, 2021
C8t8:
Mielanjmk
Ann2012
famopompy
skubido
hardes
ezeknove
doctorexcel
Adeola25
Missmossy
Jamesbiodun
poetictwenty
khriztarl
ayemileto
flowergirl040
christipsy
tominix
enirock
doggedfighter
yungbanks
chatinent
Elvictor
PenHub
mhizv
Herbiedeen
samuel19222
Tonyspecial
duruZed
Ismaxx
dawno2008
Sliss
Ann2612
Kentuforchrist
funbi2020
Mummyclieva
EkopSparoAyara
blazebaba
VincenzoZhuxu
Joneyxto

Great

1 Like

Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by VincenzoZhuxu: 3:14pm On Jan 19, 2021
Present

1 Like

Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by Khriztarl(f): 4:45pm On Jan 19, 2021
C8t8:
Mielanjmk Ann2012 famopompy skubido hardes ezeknove doctorexcel Adeola25 Missmossy Jamesbiodun poetictwenty khriztarl ayemileto flowergirl040 christipsy tominix enirock doggedfighter yungbanks chatinent Elvictor PenHub mhizv Herbiedeen samuel19222 Tonyspecial duruZed Ismaxx dawno2008 Sliss Ann2612 Kentuforchrist funbi2020 Mummyclieva EkopSparoAyara blazebaba VincenzoZhuxu Joneyxto
thanks alot dear.

1 Like

Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 7:18pm On Jan 19, 2021
Alright..Seat belt buckled, let's ride..

1 Like

Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by C8t8(m): 8:03am On Jan 20, 2021
Devils for Supper

Chapter One

Lagos

Blessing Ekweremadu's impossibly hardheeled shoes knocked the ground furiously, in a demonstration of power as she walked into the huge detective company where she worked as a minor detective due to the level of her education. She just clocked twenty years few weeks ago. Her face was chocolate brown in colour. She was pretty too. With her handbag in hand, she looked like the uncommon beauty queen she was.

“Good morning,” she greeted the dozing receptionist, a thin lady who looked like she was tired of life and ready to die.

The lady quickly sat up and reopened the huge book in front of her that had been closed by the breeze from the whirling ceiling fan upwards. She threw a surprised smile at Blessing. “Good morning detective.”

Blessing smiled in return, she wondered what was wrong with her before walking away. The sounds from her hard-soled shoes were already sucked away by the steady hum from the whirring of the ceiling fans. Blessing retucked her skirt as she walked along. She came across several of her colleagues who avoided her like a leper. She was wondering what was wrong when she bumped into Abayo, one of the workers in the organization.

“I'm terribly sorry,” she apologized. He only nodded his head and tried to avoid her. She grabbed his hand, Abayo wasn't like this. “Abayo, what's really going on? Everyone is avoiding me. Is there something wrong?”

Abayo looked at her with eyes dimmed. “I'm sorry but I have some work to attend to.” He tried to leave again.

Blessing grabbed him again and began to kneel down. “Please Abayo, tell me what is wrong. You people are scaring me.”

Abayo pulled her up just before her knees touched the floor. “I shouldn't be telling you this,” he paused and hung his head. “The boss is terribly angry right now.”

Blessing's curiosity and attention piqued. “Why? You're scaring me!”

His voice lowered down to a whisper. “The missing box of money we recovered from the last case we had was found in your office.”

Okay, this is weird, thought Blessing. “This is an expensive joke, Abayo. Go straight to the point.”

“Sorry it's the truth. I shouldn't be telling you this. I have to go,” he excused himself and bolted.

Blessing's legs shook as she walked the rest of the way to her office. That wasn't possible, Abayo was just pulling her legs. How can the box of money be found in her office when she didn't know a single thing about the case self? With heavy heart and shaky hands, she opened the door to her office. The office was empty but disarrayed. Her heart beat furiously as she dropped her bag on the table. Suddenly, her door opened behind her.

The messenger, a vulture like lady hopped into the office, an enormous headtie attached to her head.

“Good morning, Blessing,” she greeted clumsily, adjusting her massive headtie. “The boss needs you in his office.” And she fled the office before Blessing could say Jack, her headtie grazing the door frame.

Blessing grabbed her handbag, alarmed. She walked lifelessly to the boss's office, her colleagues avoiding her like a boil in the genital area. She got to the boss's office, knocked on the door and froze. After hearing no reply, she opened the door. The boss and other members of the management team sat in the office, an opened box containing loads of cash on the table. Blessing froze as the realization hit her. Her handbag dropped to the floor.

“Speaking of the devil herself,” sneered her boss as he glared at her.

Blessing's head spun and she fell on her knees. What had she done to her chi to have warranted this?

“You need not plead,” voiced a fat lady, with awfully painted face. She looked more like a duck. “You ain't escaping this! Village dog.”

“Despite how I treated you, Blessing? I gave you a job as a detective, not that you are qualified or educated for it. Is this how you choose to pay me?” her boss said painfully.

Blessing was crying now, rivulets of tears dribbling down her cheeks. “I swear to Chineke who made me, I know nothing about the money. God is my witness.”

Mrs Toke, the fat lady spoke again. She had always detested Blessing, more because she was not of the Yoruba tribe. “Good heavens! She is even shedding crocodile tears with those miserable eyes. Plain illiterate from the village!” she spat.

Blessing was speechless. Instead tears raced down her eyes the more.

“I hate thieves and pretenders!” one of the men said.

“I don't want to see you here forever again. I ought to get you locked up but I will have pity on your miserable parents. You are to vacate the room you're living in. I don't want to ever see you again, so leave this city for good!” declared the boss.

Blessing was shocked and alarmed. “I have nowhere to go if you do this to me!” she cried.

“You might as well go to hell!” cursed Mrs Toke.

“This company being a privateowned one, I won't tolerate nonsense. I don't care wherever you go, I just don't want to see you here again!” reiterated the boss.

The boss reached into his pocket and took out a slim wad of cash, he flung it at Blessing. “That's your pay for the month, reduced to half. Now kindly leave the company as far as your legs can carry you or I might change my mind and turn you over to the police.”

Blessing caught the cash, if she rejected it, how would she get the money to leave the city? With tears streaming down her face, she grabbed her handbag and ran out of the office, her shoes clicking in protest.

%%%%%%%%

Mbaino

The early morning sun was bright, sending out a furious beam of golden yellow light. The air was still and heavy, unusual for so early a morning. Birds flew above, for their morning play. And business went on in the village as well.

Right in the village square, two women were seen gossiping, whispering and clapping their hands in frenzy.

“I heard she was kidnapped,” one of the women said.

“Hmm. And her mother didn't raise an alarm?” another replied, looking bewildered.

“She did! You were busy gossiping round the village that you didn't notice the alarm,” the third one said, clapping her hands.

The second woman glared and moved towards the former. “Did you just call me a gossiper?”

“What if I did?”

“I will have your eyes plucked out, you adulterous woman. Did your current husband know adultery led to the death of your former husband?”

The second woman flew at the third woman and they locked in a combat. The first woman quickly separated them.

“This is stupid, fighting so early in the morning? Do you know it is an offence? Ifukwa gi!” the first woman said and turned away.

The two women glared at each other for a moment and then separated.

%%%%%%

Mama Nneka walked lifelessly in front of the little crowd of people walking behind her at the bush path. She was scared, Nneka had never spent the night anywhere apart from home, not to talk of the fact that she hadn't returned from the stream since the previous night. This was the third time she would be coming to the river to look for her again.

“Has she ever stayed the night anywhere else?” a voice asked from behind.

“Mba nu,” she shook her head. “She is always at home to sleep.”

Mama Nneka was frightened, in the past one month, three girls have been killed in mysterious ways. Going missing and then found with mutilated bodies and overstretched p***sies. She hoped and silently prayed her daughter hasn't encountered a similar fate.

Suddenly, an odour hit her. It was more like a freshly dead corpse.

“Tufiakwa!” a voice spat from behind. “What's that terrible smell?”

Suddenly, Mama Nneka got suspicious and started running, towards the direction of the odour, her bare foot trampling dry leaves on the path. She burst into the open space beside the river. The smell was stronger here.

At first, she saw nothing, then, suddenly, as the other people came closer, she saw the body beside the river. She ran towards the body.

The corpse was a girl, mutilated and lifeless. The girl was Nneka.

To be continued.
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by C8t8(m): 8:05am On Jan 20, 2021
doggedfighter:

Great
Thanks ma smiley
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by C8t8(m): 8:09am On Jan 20, 2021
VincenzoZhuxu:
Present
Welcome sir
What drinks do you prefer? wink
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by C8t8(m): 8:11am On Jan 20, 2021
Khriztarl:

thanks alot dear.
Welcome ma
Do you mind a chilled bottle of juice? wink
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by C8t8(m): 8:12am On Jan 20, 2021
EkopSparoAyara:
Alright..Seat belt buckled, let's ride..
Welcome to the bus sir
Preferred drinks? wink
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by PenHub: 10:51am On Jan 20, 2021
Following man
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 12:13pm On Jan 20, 2021
C8t8:
Welcome to the bus sir Preferred drinks? wink
A glass of white wine..
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by VincenzoZhuxu: 4:14pm On Jan 20, 2021
C8t8:
Welcome sir
What drinks do you prefer? wink
you are my nigga bro quit d sir thing but i no mind small dope

1 Like

Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by C8t8(m): 12:07pm On Jan 22, 2021
Good morning Fam
The story continues tonight wink
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by Ann2012(f): 1:27pm On Jan 23, 2021
C8t8:
Good morning Fam

The story continues tonight wink

Waiting patiently grin
Re: Devils For Supper (a Crime Story) by C8t8(m): 4:15pm On May 17, 2021
Ann2012:

Waiting patiently grin
I broke the promise ma cry cry

(1) (Reply)

Lets Play A Game. / Entertainment News Gists / A day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.