Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,847 members, 7,802,710 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All (2256 Views)

12-year-old Girl Carries Pregnant Mother In Labor To The Hospital Across Lake / 21 Universities That Offer Medical Laboratory Science In Nigeria / Inside Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by FBB100(m): 7:32pm On Jan 20, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

Where was MLS carved out from?grin. Nigeria get wahala sef. Dem create Radiography but dem dey beef Radiologists. Dem create MLS dem dey beef Pathologist.
Disgruntled individual.
Stop saying rubbish
MLS have been in the UK and better developed countries who cares for the lives of their people
Nigeria are not carving out any medical courses rather they are following Health trend from developed countries
I don't have much to say to you Rather you have Google as your friend and stop coming on public forums to confuse yourself
Thank you.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 7:33pm On Jan 20, 2021
FBB100:

I too don't have much problem with them.But they should stop those rubbish talks of saying MLS are new guys and should not be doing what they are trained for.Moreover our lives are involved,this guys are numerous and that makes it impossible for proper training of this guy,so they shouldn't be allowed to diagnose human being.They have a lot of branches which they can venture into.They should learn to respect the law and humanity at large
That will be hard.
Nobody respects the Law in Nigeria.

Who cares if MLS is new or not. Yes! MLS is relatively new but that should make them ashamed. A new course wiped them out of all government Labs. They can only manage some 2 star Lab some where "with abeg". Because I know a standard Lab will Never want to stain their reputation by employing quacks that may misdiagnose patients.

Just graduate and move on. Your capacity and skill will speak for itself.

©️2021.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 7:34pm On Jan 20, 2021
kalu61:
Is alright. Enjoy

Last last, we all will survive.
100%

©️2021.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by FBB100(m): 7:36pm On Jan 20, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

If it was BCH and MCB you are doing igberaga for I go understand. But Pathologist? You know in the US they are given licences by ASCP. So just wail in your sifia painsgrin
lol I can see you are so dumbed.
Being licensed by ASCP doesn't make it inferior rather it's their own way of licensing them
And for the pathologist,they are out of our labs for good
So you can kindly share your confusion here
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by FBB100(m): 7:39pm On Jan 20, 2021
samuelpeters:

That will be hard.

Who cares if MLS is new or not. Yes! MLS is relatively new but that should make them ashamed. A new course wiped them out of all government Labs. They can only manage some 2 star Lab some where "with abeg". Because I know a standard Lab will Never want to stain their reputation by employing quacks that may misdiagnose patients.

©️2021.

Thanks man. I am looking forward to resuming but I just don't feel comfortable with this guys hatred. I don't have much to say to them.So we move grin
samuelpeters:

That will be hard.

©️2021.

Thanks man. I am looking forward to resuming but I just don't feel comfortable with this guys hatred. I don't have much to say to them.So we move
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 7:48pm On Jan 20, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

If it was BCH and MCB you are doing igberaga for I go understand. But Pathologist? You know in the US they are given licences by ASCP. So just wail in your sifia painsgrin
Everyone knows their jurisdiction.

ASCP certifies MLS and Pathologists..same with UK's FRCPath.
They work hand in hand. No wahala! No problem!

But Nigeria....
I tire for their matter.
But at least they are fighting those with Pathology knowledge like them. Not some people that cannot differentiate Normal flora and pathogens in the vagina.

©️2021.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 7:54pm On Jan 20, 2021
FBB100:

Thanks man. I am looking forward to resuming but I just don't feel comfortable with this guys hatred. I don't have much to say to them.So we move grin

Thanks man. I am looking forward to resuming but I just don't feel comfortable with this guys hatred. I don't have much to say to them.So we move
Free them jare...
When you take them into the world of Hematology and transfusion science them go just miss road or into the world of histopathology and cytopathology or biomedical engineering.

Like I said; Most can only work in a 2 star private Lab. Standard Labs and government Lab is a no go area. So they usually think MLS ends with MCB and BCH. cheesy

©️2021.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by Zeeknow3245(m): 8:03pm On Jan 20, 2021
FBB100:

lol I can see you are so dumbed.
Being licensed by ASCP doesn't make it inferior rather it's their own way of licensing them
And for the pathologist,they are out of our labs for good
So you can kindly share your confusion here
You can't deny the Fact that ASCP licences your kind abroad . I am following a Medical Laboratory Science:Hidden Heroes ; on Facebook and they don't act like this.
I wanted Med lab sometime last year because I was Ignorant.
You people have gone as far as saying you're the only licenced to import reagents in Nigeria and Laboratory equipment.
You went to the National Assembly that you want your own Post graduate Institute.
You people also said you want a Doctorate Degree (DMLS or DMLT).
You also claim that you want to man only the Laboratory only.
You guys are Histopathologic Tech not Histopathologist, Haematologic tech not Haematologist.
You people have so many court orders trying to undermine the Pathologist and other professions.
You people should stop this Nonsense. It will hunt your profession back in the future . Thanks to your mediocre leaders in your profession.

1 Like

Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by Zeeknow3245(m): 8:13pm On Jan 20, 2021
samuelpeters:

Free them jare...
When you take them into the world of Hematology and transfusion science them go just miss road or into the world of histopathology and cytopathology or biomedical engineering.

Like I said; Most can only work in a 2 star private Lab. Standard Labs and government Lab is a no go area. So they usually think MLS ends with MCB and BCH. cheesy

©️2021.
I am not even in science or wishing to go into the college of Medicine for now boss you know these.
Boss I wish you can read their Laws. Look at the lies they're peddling it is not fair bro.
I want you to imagine Dental technologist fighting dentist.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by The5DME(m): 8:30pm On Jan 20, 2021
Frustrated people in their multitudes here in this thread.
Smh
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

You can't deny the Fact that ASCP licences your kind abroad . I am following a Medical Laboratory Science:Hidden Heroes ; on Facebook and they don't act like this.
You people have gone as far as saying you're the only licenced to import reagents in Nigeria and Laboratory equipment.
You went to the National Assembly that you want your own Post graduate Institute.
You guys are Histopathologic Tech not Histopathologist, Haematologic tech not Haematologist.
You people have so many court orders trying to undermine the Pathologist and other professions.
You people should stop this Nonsense. It will hunt your profession back in the future . Thanks to your mediocre leaders in your profession.
Most of those things are just health politics nothing else. Everyone is trying to protect their own. The same way doctors have sworn to always head health ministry and tertiary hospitals. grin

-Importing IVDs and reagents na politics.

- About Postgraduate college, you know that wouldn't have happened if Medical postgraduate college agreed to accommodate them. Like their counterparts in the US (ASCP) and UK(FRCPath).

-MLS.D is not a Nigerian thing. Just like Pharm.D.
Even Ghana here is giving out MLS.D. it's the new deal.

-Which MLS calls themselves Hematologist etal?
They prefer MedLabScientist. But nobody can stop them from using Hematologist or histopathologist if they have gone through postgraduate college. Former MLSCN CEO, is an Hematologist by virtue of FRCPath,UK. Pathologists respect him like mad.

-If NICN had acknowledged the Law and ruled in favour of MLS, then MLS is correct. Or do you know more than those judges that presided at different times to interpreting the Law.

-Pathologists all over the world has less Lab time and more office time except on emergency and complicated/complex test that they work hand in hand with MLS. Their main job is to interpret the results generated by MLS to their fellow doctors.
Why MLS wanted them out of the Lab was because they wanted to sign results going out of the Lab.

How can you sign a result when you are not the one that performed the test?
If it goes south, they will turn around and blame MLS for churning out wrong results. What happened at LUTH comes to mind.

Bros, Pathologists should focus on interpreting results and doing more research for better diagnosis. MLS too should learn to send results to Pathologists rather than sending it directly to the ward.
Certifying/signing results should be done by Senior Scientists before it goes to the Pathologist.
Reason is because: MLS is autonomous same with Pathologists. The ruling of the court said; "A profession cannot be said to be autonomous when it is tied to the apron string of another. If by the law MLS is autonomous then another profession cannot supervise their work. Rather it should be supervised by superiors in that same profession"

In all, their Leaders have done well for the profession.

©️2021.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 8:51pm On Jan 20, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

I am not even in science or wishing to go into the college of Medicine for now boss you know these.
Boss I wish you can read their Laws. Look at the lies they're peddling it is not fair bro.
Hahahaha!
I have read the Law establishing them.

The aggrieved body should go to NASS. it wasn't MLS that set themselves up. A committee was sent in 2002 to look at their issues. They went to different countries particularly the US,UK,China e.t.c. and came back with a report that;
MLS is a high level manpower, that requires them to be adequately trained so they will man the Lab effectively. Like they say; 80% of a doctor's decision is based on the Lab. That was what led to upgrading them from MLT/AIMS done in school of MedLab to MLS in the university.

If Dental technology wants to upgrade they are free. But doesn't mean it is on par or superior to BDS same with MLS.

In other climes they are even allowed to hold consultancy status after they must have completed their program in postgraduate college and certified.The problem is that; everyone claims nonsense. Pathology and MLS though related but are not the same.

From the US journal; "Pathologists and Ph.D MLS are on par but when clinical expertise is needed, the Pathologist should take over".

So the key word here is clinical expertise. Which is the big advantage.
So no matter what MLS claims; if a Pathologist is on ground, the FINAL decision is made by the Pathologist because of his clinical expertise. Some states in the US allows MLS to work freely without the input of any Pathologist.

©️2021.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by Zeeknow3245(m): 9:01pm On Jan 20, 2021
samuelpeters:

Most of those things are just health politics nothing else. Everyone is trying to protect their own. The same way doctors have sworn to always head health ministry and tertiary hospitals. grin

-Importing IVDs and reagents na politics.

- About Postgraduate college, you know that wouldn't have happened if Medical postgraduate college agreed to accommodate them. Like their counterparts in the US (ASCP) and UK(FRCPath).

-MLS.D is not a Nigerian thing. Just like Pharm.D.
Even Ghana here is giving out MLS.D. it's the new deal.

-Which MLS calls themselves Hematologist etal?
They prefer MedLabScientist. But nobody can stop them from using Hematologist or histopathologist if they have gone through postgraduate college. Former MLSCN CEO, is an Hematologist by virtue of FRCPath,UK. Pathologists respect him like mad.

-If NICN had acknowledged the Law and ruled in favour of MLS, then MLS is correct. Or do you know more than those judges that presided at different times to interpreting the Law.

-Pathologists all over the world has less Lab time and more office time except on emergency and complicated/complex test that they work hand in hand with MLS. Their main job is to interpret the results generated by MLS to their fellow doctors.
Why MLS wanted them out of the Lab was because they wanted to sign results going out of the Lab.

How can you sign a result when you are not the one that performed the test?
If it goes south, they will turn around and blame MLS for churning out wrong results. What happened at LUTH comes to mind.

Bros, Pathologists should focus on interpreting results and doing more research for better diagnosis. MLS too should learn to send results to Pathologists rather than sending it directly to the ward.
Certifying/signing results should be done by Senior Scientists before it goes to the Pathologist.
Reason is because: MLS is autonomous same with Pathologists. The ruling of the court said; "A profession cannot be said to be autonomous when it is tied to the apron string of another. If by the law MLS is autonomous then another profession cannot supervise their work. Rather it should be supervised by superiors in that same profession"

In all, their Leaders have done well for the profession.

©️2021.
I would love to agree with you about everything but I see denial in the profession. They bullied their way through.
As for Doctor in MLS it is supposed to be a PhD. I read about PharmD which is becoming common. But MLS as a Doctorate Degree? Boss "ko da"because if you say so then; Do you want us to start having Dr of Radiography, Dr of Prosthetics and Orthotics, Dr of Dental Technology etcetera etcetera.
There's a medical laboratory student I know in my area currently in final year before covid hit . He is always talking of treatment of illnesses. They call him Doctor in my area. I confronted him and he was disgruntled, telling me that without them docs can't treat properly which is likely true.
Imagine people who are Ignorant.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by FBB100(m): 9:35pm On Jan 20, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

You just sat down comfortably and wrote trash
I would have loved to put some sense into you but your ignorance is first class
I will just advice you to get a way to study MLS and stop shiting around
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by Zeeknow3245(m): 9:37pm On Jan 20, 2021
FBB100:

You just sat down comfortably and wrote trash
I would have loved to put some sense into you but your ignorance is first class
I will just advice you to get a way to study MLS and stop shiting around
Guy I Just dey respect you oo.gringrin. Better go to the Lab and do your poop and urine analysisgrin
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by FBB100(m): 9:38pm On Jan 20, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

We are not technologist
We are scientist
And for your info MLS is not a younger brother to pathologists
For the laws you claim you saw, I don't know but it seems you checked nothing
Thank you
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by FBB100(m): 9:43pm On Jan 20, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

Guy I Just dey respect you oo.gringrin. Better go to the Lab and do your poop and urine analysisgrin
Lol I can feel your pains
So you all quacks have been fighting just to analyze poop
Wow. I can see where the pains lies
We are comfortable analyzing them but I will just tell to leave the poop for us
We love the poop
Bunch of mediocre
You guys won't cease to amuse me
Imagine studying your mediocre course for good four years
At the end, you will be seen dragging poop
I just piri una failure grin
Zeeknow3245:

We love the poop
Bunch of mediocre
I just piri una failure
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by FBB100(m): 9:49pm On Jan 20, 2021
The5DME:
Frustrated people in their multitudes here in this thread.
Smh
What do you mean?
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by Zeeknow3245(m): 10:13pm On Jan 20, 2021
FBB100:

We love the poop
Bunch of mediocre
We love the poop
Bunch of mediocre
I just piri una failure
Bro I'm not supporting the BCH and MCB. I am not even one. Sorry I sounded rude bro. I may have my reservations towards MLS because of some skirmishes. I don't support Quackery since the one I intend going into has a lot of quacks.
I am just an animal rearer doing my business oo no vex and a vet aspirant.
We are channelling our anger at the wrong things. We should have blamed the Bad leadership we've had for years who refused to invest in science and rendered this people jobless.
Blame the school for syphoning funds and doing backyard admission.
Blame the leaders who went to schools for free and ate free food and had good hostels opress us.
NO VEX.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 10:34pm On Jan 20, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

I would love to agree with you about everything but I see denial in the profession. They bullied their way through.
As for Doctor in MLS it is supposed to be a PhD. I read about PharmD which is becoming common. But MLS as a Doctorate Degree? Boss "ko da"because if you say so then; Do you want us to start having Dr of Radiography, Dr of Prosthetics and Orthotics, Dr of Dental Technology etcetera etcetera.
There's a medical laboratory student I know in my area currently in final year before covid hit . He is always talking of treatment of illnesses. They call him Doctor in my area. I confronted him and he was disgruntled, telling me that without them docs can't treat properly which is likely true.
Imagine people who are Ignorant.
Hahahaha!
Bullied kwa
Well without them, Doctors may not treat properly. MLS confirms a Doctor's diagnosis/suspicion. They are like the oracle while doctors are the dibia/babalawo cheesy
Reason why them de always fight.
Note: There are cases that don't require a Lab test. A good history taking is enough to diagnose.

MLS only took what belonged to them at a faster pace that they became the face of JOHESU. It should have been Nursing but those ones haven't been able to put their own house in order. NMA vs JOHESU will surely end with Doctors vs MLS. grin

To your other issue; there is something you need to understand. M.Sc and Ph.D are research degrees not professional.Example: an M.Sc or Ph.D in Nursing or MLS with a B.Sc in biological sciences(BCH/MCB etal) doesn't make you a Nurse or a MedLab scientist.
Why?
Because the professional aspect of those courses are still in their Bachelors Level(B.MLS and B.NSc). So for you to practice, you need their licences that is attached to B.MLS and B.NSc not Masters or Ph.D
Any small wailing they will tell you to take DE and study those courses from undergraduate because that is the foundation of the profession.

Now you know why Doctors do not Further to M.Sc or Ph.D but Postgraduate College(Residency). Because the former is just a research degree which anyone can get especially those that want to lecture basic medicals like Anatomy, Physiology, Medbiochemistry. But Residency is research with a professional touch.
So a Doctor with Masters and Ph.D cannot lecture Clinical students because he doesn't have the requisite knowledge.

Also Note that; MBBS is equivalent with Ph.D grin So they start at Lecturer II like Ph.D while B.MLS, Pharmacy start at Assistant Lecturer equivalent to Masters.

Now,these professions want to increase their bench mark so it would have an equivalent of Ph.D (MLS.D, Pharm.D, etal) and build their own Postgraduate College. Then anyone that wants to further Professionally goes to Postgraduate College while those that want to further in research or Lecturing can pursue Masters and Ph.D grin
But in all, MLS.D is not a Nigerian thing. It is just international best practice. The same Medicine started as a Diploma. Until they continue to upgrade till this Level.

Na so e be...
All man wn de set standard. It gives a cut clear career path for their students and graduates.

©️2021.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 10:37pm On Jan 20, 2021
FBB100:

We love the poop
Bunch of mediocre
We love the poop
Bunch of mediocre
I just piri una failure
Bros, Zeek na my man oh..
He means well grin

©️2021.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by FBB100(m): 1:09am On Jan 21, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

Bro I'm not supporting the BCH and MCB. I am not even one. Sorry I sounded rude bro. I may have my reservations towards MLS because of some skirmishes. I don't support Quackery since the one I intend going into has a lot of quacks.
I am just an animal rearer doing my business oo no vex and a vet aspirant.
We are channelling our anger at the wrong things. We should have blamed the Bad leadership we've had for years who refused to invest in science and rendered this people jobless.
Blame the school for syphoning funds and doing backyard admission.
Blame the leaders who went to schools for free and ate free food and had good hostels opress us.
NO VEX.
Sorry bro if I used the wrong world
I am just so angry when I see people playing with human lives in the name of MLS is carved out or new
Every professional should know his work
The slt guys are the worst
They keep saying rubbish because they have license and with connection some of them work in a diagnosing lab
They should just have Human sympathy and stop the quackery and stop blaming MLS for their misfortune
Anyway I wish you success in your admission pursuit
What school are you aspiring for
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by FBB100(m): 1:22am On Jan 21, 2021
samuelpeters:

Hahahaha!
Bullied kwa
Well without them, Doctors may not treat properly. MLS confirms a Doctor's diagnosis/suspicion. They are like the oracle while doctors are the dibia/babalawo cheesy
Note: There are cases that don't require a Lab test. A good history taking is enough to diagnose.

MLS only took what belonged to them at a faster pace that they became the face of JOHESU. It should have been Nursing but those ones haven't been able to put their own house in order. NMA vs JOHESU will surely end with Doctors vs MLS. grin

To your other issue; there is something you need to understand. M.Sc and Ph.D are research degrees not professional.Example: an M.Sc or Ph.D in Nursing or MLS with a B.Sc in biological sciences(BCH/MCB etal) doesn't make you a Nurse or a MedLab scientist.
Why?
Because the professional aspect of those courses are still in their Bachelors Level(B.MLS and B.NSc). So for you to practice, you need their licences that is attached to B.MLS and B.NSc not Masters or Ph.D
Any small wailing they will tell you to take DE and study those courses from undergraduate because that is the foundation of the profession.

Now you know why Doctors do not Further to M.Sc or Ph.D but Postgraduate College(Residency). Because the former is just a research degree which anyone can get especially those that want to lecture basic medicals like Anatomy, Physiology, Medbiochemistry. But Residency is research with a professional touch.
So a Doctor with Masters and Ph.D cannot lecture Clinical students because he doesn't have the requisite knowledge.

Also Note that; MBBS is equivalent with Ph.D grin So they start at Lecturer II like Ph.D while B.MLS, Pharmacy start at Assistant Lecturer equivalent to Masters.

Now,these professions want to increase their bench mark so it would have an equivalent of Ph.D (MLS.D, Pharm.D, etal) and build their own Postgraduate College. Then anyone that wants to further Professionally goes to Postgraduate College while those that want to further in research or Lecturing can pursue Masters and Ph.D grin
But in all, MLS.D is not a Nigerian thing. It is just international best practice. The same Medicine started as a Diploma. Until they continue to upgrade till this Level.

Na so e be...
All man wn de set standard. It gives a cut clear career path for their students and graduates.

©️2021.
Bro stop telling this quacks and impersonators such things Because they are so dumb to comprehend
They have councils and the industrial court
Who feel cheated can take the case up same way the mlscn have been doing it
We won't labor for them to eat
Until they organise themselves and stop churning out million of quacks,they will keep dreaming
MLS have come to stay and nothing they can do about it,not even the NMA or MDCN or the shallow pathologist can do about it
We shall keep protecting our boundaries in accordance with the law
Until they learn to purchase Direct entry or jamb form,they will keep being in dark
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by Zeeknow3245(m): 8:03am On Jan 21, 2021
FBB100:

Sorry bro if I used the wrong world
I am just so angry when I see people playing with human lives in the name of MLS is carved out or new
Every professional should know his work
The slt guys are the worst
They keep saying rubbish because they have license and with connection some of them work in a diagnosing lab
They should just have Human sympathy and stop the quackery and stop blaming MLS for their misfortune
Anyway I wish you success in your admission pursuit
What school are you aspiring for
Ibadan
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by FBB100(m): 9:57am On Jan 21, 2021
Zeeknow3245:
Ibadan
Nice choice of school but you have to get prepared Those guys admission process is too strict Wish you admission in advance

1 Like

Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 21, 2021
samuelpeters:

Hahahaha!
Bullied kwa

Why?

Na so e be...

©️2021.

Mr. Please I want to correct an impression you made here... MBBS IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO M. SC.. AND POSTGRADUATE RESIDENCY CERTIFICATE IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO P. HD.. DO YOUR RESEARCH WELL. PLEASE BE GUIDED.

WITH YOUR MBBS. M. SC AND FELLOWSHIP. YOU START AS LECTURER 1 IN THE UNIVERSITY AND AS HONOURARY CONSULTANT IN THE TEACHING HOSPITAL.
WITH YOUR P. HD YOUR START AS LECTURER 1 OR 11 WITH YOUR PAPERS (JOURNALS) IN THE UNIVERSITY
WITH YOUR MBBS. YOU START AS GRADUATE ASSISTANT. WITH MBBS AND M. SC. YOU START AS AN ASSISTANT LECTURER.
IF YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION. NUC BULLETIN WILL BE OF GREAT HELP.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 12:41pm On Jan 21, 2021
Cptflint:

Mr. Please I want to correct an impression you made here... MBBS IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO M. SC.. AND POSTGRADUATE RESIDENCY CERTIFICATE IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO P. HD.. DO YOUR RESEARCH WELL. PLEASE BE GUIDED.

WITH YOUR MBBS. M. SC AND FELLOWSHIP. YOU START AS LECTURER 1 IN THE UNIVERSITY AND AS HONOURARY CONSULTANT IN THE TEACHING HOSPITAL.
WITH YOUR P. HD YOUR START AS LECTURER 1 OR 11 WITH YOUR PAPERS (JOURNALS) IN THE UNIVERSITY
WITH YOUR MBBS. YOU START AS GRADUATE ASSISTANT. WITH MBBS AND M. SC. YOU START AS AN ASSISTANT LECTURER.
IF YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION. NUC BULLETIN WILL BE OF GREAT HELP.
I'm not here to argue nonsense.
I state things the way they are and moved on.

You should be the one to make research.
That NUC bulletin was what caused the fracas.

A committee was setup to look into the matter.

REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON STATUS OF MEDICAL FELLOWSHIP QUALIFICATION WITH OTHER DEGREES VIS-A-VIS Ph.D.

The terms of reference were:
- To determine the immediate and remote cause of the current discussion regarding the medical fellowship qualification with other degrees in Nigeria vis a vis PhD
- To organize a template for medical qualifications and it equivalent to other qualification in Nigeria
- To recommend measures that will address perceived disagreement amongst employers of medical fellowship and other workers
- Any other findings and recommendations necessary to address the issues surrounding award of medical fellowship

Findings
1. The committee discovered that sometime in the early 2000s, the NUC issued a blanket statement that all lecturers must have a PhD to teach in the Universities. When this position was extended to medical schools, the National Post-graduate Medical College of Nigeria (NPMC), as trainers of the Fellowship, was brought in to clarify the position. This was done through a stakeholders meeting between NUC and NPMCN, and it was concluded that for the pre-clinical lecturers, a PhD was mandatory to teach the basic sciences of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, and pharmacology. However for the clinical sciences; a Fellowship qualification is mandatory since clinical training is beyond only academic qualifications but also entails clinical components with live patients.
However, probably due to the changing personnel in the NUC and with the attendant lack of knowledge of what the fellowship is all about, the controversy has resurfaced. And it would also appear the NPMCN's current leadership may not be aware of this previous stakeholder’s meeting and conclusions because it should have referred to it or reminded NUC to check the records.

2. The committee looked at the training of students in other degree programmes vis a vis the training of MBBS students. For both of this, it was observed that the British system of awarding degrees is what is in use. A regular non-medical student in the university spends 16 weeks in a semester making a total of 32 weeks per session. Therefore, for the the 4 years of study, the student spends 128 weeks in school before graduation. On the other hand, an MBBS student spends 32 weeks in his first year in school (pre-basic) and subsequently, spends 26 weeks per semester making a total of 52 week per session. Therefore for the remaining 5 years of his training he/she spends a total of 260 weeks. Hence for the 6 years of training he spends a total of 292 weeks in school before graduating amounting to 9 academic sessions as against 4 academic sessions of a non-medical graduate. Therefore the 6 years training to acquire an MBBS degree is not actually 6 years but 9 academic sessions.

In the postgraduate area, masters degree programme takes 3 semesters (48 wks) and the PhD programme take another 6 semesters (96 weeks). Therefore from undergraduate to PhD takes a total of 272 weeks while the MBBS takes 292 weeks. It is interesting to note that, the pass mark for all exams in MBBS is 50% as against 40% for non medical courses.
Sometimes students fail even when they have 50% but fail the clinical section of the examination.
This could be the wisdom in starting MBBS as Lecturer II same as PhD when they are employed to teach in the basic medical sciences in the Universities while trying to acquire a PhD in those sciences.

The course work for the non-medical degree entails credit hours of about 16 hours per week. However, for MBBS, for almost all weeks of study, a student spends an average of 6 hrs of lectures per day, for the 5 days of the week amounting to about 30 hours per week. This is even excluding the weekends which medical students are expected to be in hospitals for their clinical training.

The postgraduate training post MBBS leading up to the award of the Fellowship is not done on Semester basis but on a continuous period of 36 months of junior residency training and another 36 months of senior residency training.
For a candidate to be admitted into the programme, he must have an MBBS and then must pass the Primary exam of the NPMCN. During the period of 36 months, the candidate engages in didactic clinical teaching in the ward, seminar presentations, journal reviews and clinical essay presentations.

Since, it is both academic and clinical training, the candidate also sees patients, takes a history, examines, investigates and treats patients. He also takes call duty outside of the official hours (from 4pm – 8am the following day) and then continues with his routine activities for the new day. At the end of this period of 36 months, he writes the part 1 examination of the NPMCN. The examination is done outside of his training centre and has different components – paper 1(MCQ), paper II (written), Practical, clinical 1, Clinical II and then orals.

The senior residency starts after passing the part I exams. This takes another 36 month. It involves the same academic activities as in the junior residency but now with training emphasis on patient care, managerial skills in leading the health care team and making difficult decisions. Several workshops on research methodology and management are organized by NPMCN. The candidate picks a research topic and write a proposal to NPMCN for approval. He is guided by at least 2 supervisors who are his trainers and eventually defends the dissertation with the NPMCN after completion of the mandatory 36 months. This is the part II examination and has three parts – clinical (long and short cases), oral examination and defense of the dissertation. In both the part I and II exams, candidate must pass all the sections to pass the overall exams. Failure in a section means failure in the exams and the candidate must write the exams again.

From the foregoing, it is evident that the MBBS degree therefore cannot be equated to any other degree at least below a PhD degree. The Fellowship degree has a thesis or dissertation component in addition to its 6 years of continuous training and therefore remains superior to a PhD and therefore should remain so.
This has been the status of the MBBS and Fellowship qualification in our universities. The quality of medical graduates produced over the years by lecturers with this Fellowship has excelled in the world. They are all over Europe and America excelling in various fields of Medicine.

Recommendation
1. The committee recommends that the status quo be maintained. The qualification to teach and rise to professorship in the basic medical sciences of Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology should be the PhD. The qualification to teach the clinical aspects of the MBBS degree programme should be the Fellowship since the students need teachers with both academic and clinical training. Therefore clinical areas of Paediatrics, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, community medicine, Obstetrics & Gyneacology, Dentistry, chemical pathology, pathology, Haematology, Microbiology and Surgery (ENT, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Radiology, and Anaesthesia) must be taught by lecturers with their Fellowship qualification.

2. The committee recommends that the Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria (MDCAN) writes to NPMCN to stop forthwith the negotiation with NUC. The NPMCN is an agency empowered to train post graduate medical graduates just as the NUC is empowered to train undergraduate medical students. The NPMCN should be in a position to clarify issues about its graduates and how they are trained. They should not adjust or alter their curricula to satisfy NUC out of their intimidation and bullying.

The power to determine who teaches in Medical Schools in Nigerian Universities is actually with the regulatory body of Medical training in Universities, the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN).

If the NUC is not satisfied with the Fellowship qualification for teaching Clinical students reading MBBS, then they should employ PhDs from somewhere else to teach the students.

The NPMCN should always interface with MDCAN and the regulatory body of medical training in the Universities (Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, MDCN) before circulars is issued concerning weighty issues such as this.
We believe, NPMCN did not have the facts or information as highlighted herein or if they did, they were being selfish to the rest of the Fellowship graduates. How else would they say that Part I is a special Masters degree? And that a PhD would be awarded to candidates with the same dissertation that they would eventually use for the defense of Part II examination.

If this position of NPMCN is taken, it has many terrible implications:
That MBBS is just like any other BA or BSC degree of 4 years MBBS products employed to teach the basic medical courses will be stepped down from lecturer II to graduate assistant which is where other degrees start with. This is using our own hands to destroy ourselves.

Since part I will now be a special Masters degree, the Universities would start Part I as Assistant Lecturers. However, since no one leaves with Part I results to work anywhere it would only be theoretical. Remember that the Medical Laboratory science first degree graduates have just been been granted to start teaching in Universities as Assistant Lecturers because their course is now 5 years. So, Part I would be equivalent to first degree programme of Medical Laboratory Science.

The award of PhD with same dissertation to be used for the defense in fellowship would amount to academic fraud and will be questioned by other lecturers in future.
What value would this PhD have when the Fellowship is eventually awarded?

Since the same dissertation would be used for the Fellowship, would it not be said in future, that PhD is the same with a Fellowship; and therefore that Fellowship lecturers should start as Lecturer II in the university?

3. Finally, the committee recommends that MDCAN should mobilize its members well enough to resign from all universities as lecturers when this draconian law is implemented; for the Committee believes that NPMCN has made up her mind irrespective of inputs by all concerned bodies.

https://medicalworldnigeria.com/post/report-of-the-committee-on-status-of-medical-fellowship-qualification-with-other-degrees-vis-a-vis-phd?pid=17849

©️2021.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 1:02pm On Jan 21, 2021
Let me summarize for you;

-MB.BS is equivalent to Ph.D. it takes 272 weeks from Bachelors to Ph.D. while MBBS is 292 weeks.
Reason why MB.BS are Doctors and start as Lecturer II like Ph.D holders.

- MBBS holders that want to lecture in Basic Medical courses like Anatomy, Physiology, pharmacology and Medbiochemistry will have to get their Masters and Ph.D because those courses are not professional clinical courses.
So a Ph.D starts at Lecturer II and continue to write journals and papers inorder to be promoted to Lecturer 1, reader then professor. While MBBS starts at Lecturer II.
MBBS+M.Sc= Lecturer 1, MBBS+M.Sc+Ph.D=Lecturer 1/Reader, then write papers to become a professor.

-MBBS holders that want to lecture Clinical students MUST have done his residency and fellowship which is equivalent to Lecturer 1 and above. Because fellowship is very superior to Ph.D.

- It was through this findings they talked about MLS having an M.Sc. status. Reason for starting them as Assistant Lecturer.
Since MLS has a Masters status already, after they upgrade to MLS.D it maybe equivalent to Ph.D. So MLS.D+M.Sc= Lecturer 1, MLS.D+M.Sc+Ph.D= Lecturer 1/reader.

All these things are professional fine-tuning and politics.

So bros, I don't say what I don't know.

©️2021.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 1:06pm On Jan 21, 2021
FBB100:

Bro stop telling this quacks and impersonators such things Because they are so dumb to comprehend
They have councils and the industrial court
Who feel cheated can take the case up same way the mlscn have been doing it
We won't labor for them to eat
Until they organise themselves and stop churning out million of quacks,they will keep dreaming
MLS have come to stay and nothing they can do about it,not even the NMA or MDCN or the shallow pathologist can do about it
We shall keep protecting our boundaries in accordance with the law
Until they learn to purchase Direct entry or jamb form,they will keep being in dark
It's alright.
©️2021.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by SirWarlock: 1:33pm On Jan 21, 2021
samuelpeters:
Let me summarize for you;

-MB.BS is equivalent to Ph.D. it takes 272 weeks from Bachelors to Ph.D. while MBBS is 292 weeks.
Reason why MB.BS are Doctors and start as Lecturer II like Ph.D holders.

- MBBS holders that want to lecture in Basic Medical courses like Anatomy, Physiology, pharmacology and Medbiochemistry will have to get their Masters and Ph.D because those courses are not professional clinical courses.
So a Ph.D starts at Lecturer II and continue to write journals and papers inorder to be promoted to Lecturer 1, reader then professor. While MBBS starts at Lecturer II.
MBBS+M.Sc= Lecturer 1, MBBS+M.Sc+Ph.D=Lecturer 1/Reader, then write papers to become a professor.

-MBBS holders that want to lecture Clinical students MUST have done his residency and fellowship which is equivalent to Lecturer 1 and above. Because fellowship is very superior to Ph.D.

- It was through this findings they talked about MLS having an M.Sc. status. Reason for starting them as Assistant Lecturer.
Since MLS has a Masters status already, after they upgrade to MLS.D it maybe equivalent to Ph.D. So MLS.D+M.Sc= Lecturer 1, MLS.D+M.Sc+Ph.D= Lecturer 1/reader.

All these things are professional fine-tuning and politics.

So bros, I don't say what I don't know.

©️2021.
but this isn't strictly followed right cos i don't think all preclinical and basic medical lecturers have those qualifications but they're lecturing today grin.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by samuelpeters(m): 2:17pm On Jan 21, 2021
SirWarlock:
but this isn't strictly followed right cos i don't think all preclinical and basic medical lecturers have those qualifications but they're lecturing today grin.
All pre-clincal lecturers with MBBS background start as Lecturer II same as Ph.D holders with basic medical degree(B.Sc in Anatomy, Physiology, Medbiochemistry, pharmacology).

MDCN is even making moves for Universities to stop employing Lecturers without MBBS background to lecture pre-clinical students.

Sincerely I really enjoyed and understood topics when they are been taught by Lecturers with MBBS background. They usually explain with real life experience.

Other Allied Medical courses like MLS, Nursing, Radiography and Physiotherapy, employ their graduates. But I'm only sure of MLS and Pharmacy graduates starting as Assistant Lecturers which is equivalent to Masters level.

So what other qualifications are you talking about?

©️2021.
Re: The Hospital Laboratory Is Not For All by nurain150(m): 9:24pm On Nov 07, 2021
samuelpeters:

All pre-clincal lecturers with MBBS background start as Lecturer II same as Ph.D holders with basic medical degree(B.Sc in Anatomy, Physiology, Medbiochemistry, pharmacology).

MDCN is even making moves for Universities to stop employing Lecturers without MBBS background to lecture pre-clinical students.

Sincerely I really enjoyed and understood topics when they are been taught by Lecturers with MBBS background. They usually explain with real life experience.

Other Allied Medical courses like MLS, Nursing, Radiography and Physiotherapy, employ their graduates. But I'm only sure of MLS and Pharmacy graduates starting as Assistant Lecturers which is equivalent to Masters level.

So what other qualifications are you talking about?

©️2021.
Lol, Most of my Lecturers are PhD, you can't Lecture without PhD, a research degree isn't same as professional. Similar why MBA isn't giving masters status here in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unical Resumption Date / Admissions/application Kwara State College Of Health Technology, Offa / Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.