Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" (15618 Views)

Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System / Igwe Umenyiora Donates Food Items To His Community In Anambra (Photos ) / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by NwekeUG(m): 8:51pm On Jan 20, 2021
Anambra Traditional Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As 'Igwe'

The traditional ruler of Isiagu community in Awka South Local Government Area of Anambra State, Igwe Austin Ozoemenam Nwankwo, has dragged one of his subjects, Chief Ben Ifeatu, to court for refusing to recognize him as the traditional ruler, IgbereTV reports.

Igwe Nwankwo

Nwankwo wants the court to compel Chief Ifeatu, a claimant to the stool of the community, to begin to address him properly as 'Igwe'.

On Wednesday, January 20, the monarch told the court that Chief Ifeatu had insisted on addressing him as Chief Austin Nwankwo.

"Chief Ifeatu had continued to address me as Chief Austin Nwankwo, when he is aware I am his traditional ruler. When he started contending my position as traditional ruler of Isiagu ancient kingdom, I tendered my certificate of recognition in the court. Government of Anambra State gave me certificate as traditional ruler of Isiagu; I am also the chairman of Awka South Traditional Rulers Council. When I tendered the certificate in the High Court, none of Chief Ifeatu and his counsel, N.O Nwadinobi, raised objection; yet, he had continued to address me as mere chief,” Igwe Nwankwo said.

Ifeatu in response told the court: “I will not recognize him as my traditional ruler. Only him knows how and where he got the certificate of recognition. So, it behooves on him to prove to the court that he is the authentic traditional ruler.”

Plaintiff counsel told the court Nwankwo got his certificate of recognition from the state government.

However, defence counsel countered that the traditional stool of the community was still subject to contention at the State High Court, Awka.

In her ruling, the Chief Magistrate, Mrs O.N Ike, told counsel to the plaintiff to apply officially in written address, so that the court will study the application and act accordingly.

"Let the truth be told, since he has tendered his certificate in court, which is deemed to have been issued by the state, it is proper to address him as Igwe; until it is proved otherwise by the court.”

The matter was adjourned till March 17, for continuation.

IgbereTV gathered that Chief Ifeatu, had in 2020, petitioned the Anambra State Police Command, claiming that Certificate of Recognition paraded by Igwe Nwankwo was forged; a development that led to the arrest of Igwe Nwankwo for alleged forgery and false claim.

But when the matter came up at the Magistrate Court III in Awka, on Wednesday, August 19, 2020; the Investigation Police Officer, Mr. Madu Bukar, told the court that from Police findings, Certificate of Recognition paraded by Igwe Nwankwo was authentic.

"Chief Ben Ifeatu had petitioned the Police that certificate of recognition being paraded by Igwe Austin Nwankwo was fake. It was based on that information that the Police arrested Igwe Austin Nwankwo for alleged forgery and false claim. However, the Police wrote the office of the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs in the State, for confirmation or disclaimer," stated Bukar.

"The State government, through a letter dated September 23, 2014, confirmed that Igwe Austin Nwankwo’s certificate was genuine, and that it came from them. The State government also stated in the said letter that Igwe Austin Ozoemenam Nwankwo was issued certificate of recognition by former governor of Anambra State; Mr. Peter Obi; on March 7, 2014.

"The Police also took its investigation to Isiagu community, where independent respondents also confirmed that Igwe Austin Nwankwo was duly elected at the Isiagu Central School, on November 12, 2013. The Police also got as evidence, a video record of how the election went, and how Igwe Austin Nwankwo emerged in the presence of officials of the Anambra State government. Armed with these facts, the police was convinced."

Igwe Nwankwo

https://igberetvnews.com/1379761/anambra-traditional-ruler-drags-subject-court-refusing-address-igwe/

Lalasticlala

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Baawaa(m): 8:54pm On Jan 20, 2021
Igwe don't vex,inasmuch others are calling you igwe is ok

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by TheStakeHolder(m): 8:55pm On Jan 20, 2021
No comments
Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by ATEAMS: 4:12am On Jan 21, 2021
Arrongantic King

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by gambia(m): 4:13am On Jan 21, 2021
There's more to this story, its more of power tussle. Africans needs to grow beyond all these clout chasing nonsense.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by ancess2020: 4:14am On Jan 21, 2021
Ok
Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by bobluck: 4:14am On Jan 21, 2021
How would that affect the price of bag of rice in the market? Blackman and title is like 5&6....mtchew!

23 Likes

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by MrRabbi(m): 4:14am On Jan 21, 2021
Lol ���������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������
Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by freeDR(m): 4:15am On Jan 21, 2021
One thing about the Igbos is that royalty is alien to the culture. Ancient Igbo tradition does not provide for a perpetual ruler in form of Obas and Emirs as obtained among the Yorubas and Hausas.

It was the colonialists who introduced what is a replica of traditional institutions in other parts of Nigeria for easy administration.

However, you still cannot force the Igbo man to pay obeisance to someone elected Igwe. It's not part of his culture.

Forget about the lies in Nollywood movies where the Igwe reigns supreme. No where in Igboland has the Igwe ever sent for someone else's head. Never.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by miniziter(m): 4:16am On Jan 21, 2021
Why not act like you don't see it?

1 Like

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by imexg(m): 4:16am On Jan 21, 2021
igbo amaka

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Germanhunter(m): 4:24am On Jan 21, 2021
Something that you wee just employ one hyper man to dey make your head swell every time

You are not a wise igwe after all and your people know it

Oba/igwe/emir of today na just traditional privilege jare

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by kaludestiny10(m): 4:25am On Jan 21, 2021
Funny people. Anyway kings are not really reverend in Igbo land. So take heart Igwe Nwankwo.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by favour32(m): 4:25am On Jan 21, 2021
Authentic Igwe!
Police don investigate!
Matter closed!
If the other fool nor call you Igwe, bone am nor let am near your domain.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Golan007: 4:27am On Jan 21, 2021
Igwe has spoken.
Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by ObiOfOnistha: 4:36am On Jan 21, 2021
Igwe and chief no get sense, it is title calling they are dragging in situation where Buhari is going ballistic, they needed to be donated to hisbah for flogging practice.confuse people

4 Likes

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Salewa97: 4:39am On Jan 21, 2021
These guys are not royal.

Most of their fake Igwe are just warrant chiefs that the British promoted to king status based on Quota system.

Igwe ko, Rigwe ni!

7 Likes

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Wiseandtrue(f): 4:39am On Jan 21, 2021
Are you sure you (Igwe) is there to serve the community

You (Igwe) get time shall undecided

Everybody cannot like you, serve the people the best way you can and you will get tired of hearing Igwe!!!

1 Like

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by allcomage: 4:40am On Jan 21, 2021
Igwe has forgotten that Igbo enwe eze.Imagine, he went to congest the court because he didn't call him igwe.Igbo nation don't have the time now for the useless titles that are good for only breaking kola nuts and pouring libations. Education,technology and entrepreneurship should be the concern of Igbo nation to be able to compete with their peers in Japan, Korea, Israel, Vietnam,UAE,China etc Igbo nation should abolish these post colonial creations and go back to the way we used to leave because Igwe/eze/Onowu etc have brought crisis in so many communities instead of developments.

15 Likes

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Wiseandtrue(f): 4:41am On Jan 21, 2021
kaludestiny10:
Funny people. Anyway kings are not really reverend in Igbo land. So take heart Igwe Nwankwo.
Mago mago king (evil leaders) is not revered anywhere!!!

Take the Oba of Lagos for example

1 Like

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Badgers14: 4:48am On Jan 21, 2021
grin
Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by BigCowH0rn: 4:50am On Jan 21, 2021
Salewa97:
These guys are not royal.

Most of their fake Igwe are just warrant chiefs that the British promoted to king status based on Quota system.

Igwe ko, Rigwe ni!

What constitutes royalty? Pray do tell.
Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Nobody: 5:02am On Jan 21, 2021
Misplaced priorities.
Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by sammirano: 5:05am On Jan 21, 2021
grin
Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by sammirano: 5:09am On Jan 21, 2021
freeDR:
One thing about the Igbos is that royalty is alien to the culture. Ancient Igbo tradition does not provide for a perpetual ruler in form of Obas and Emirs as obtained among the Yorubas and Hausas.

It was the colonialists who introduced what is a replica of traditional institutions in other parts of Nigeria for easy administration.

However, you still cannot force the Igbo man to pay obeisance to someone elected Igwe. It's not part of his culture.

Forget about the lies in Nollywood movies where the Igwe reigns supreme. No where in Igboland has the Igwe ever sent for someone else's head. Never.

Proud people without direction wil lead to..

5 Likes

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by ayenale1(m): 5:22am On Jan 21, 2021
State gov go vex comot am now now, hin eyes go clear...at that time his wife and children will not call him igwe talkless of his chiefs...
Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Darkseid(m): 5:25am On Jan 21, 2021
I remember the day I went to see the the Igwe of my town (God bless his soul), I didn't know whether to prostrate or shout Igweeee like in Nollywood movies.
I was surprised to see him come out with singlet and shorts and I just casually greeted him "good morning sir". We just chatted a little about my reason for coming and then I left; the truth is that an average Igbo man doesn't like to be ruled over.

11 Likes

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Mordecai(m): 5:29am On Jan 21, 2021
freeDR:

You said it all. Nollywood has given people funny ideas about Igbo culture.

Princes and princesses moving around with guards and an entourage, and Igwe sentencing people to death etc. People prostrating before "kings" and young ladies fighting over the "crown prince" grin

Now, the present day Igwes are beginning to lose their sense of proportion and knowledge of our culture.

Na wa ooo...

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Firstorderwizard(m): 5:39am On Jan 21, 2021
Igala people sef undecided

1 Like

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by peace80037: 5:53am On Jan 21, 2021
:Funny people. Anyway kings are not really reverend in Igbo land. So take heart Igwe Nwankwo.Mago mago king (even leaders) is not revered anywhere!!!Take the Oba of Lagos for example

1 Like

Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by Adigun055(m): 6:16am On Jan 21, 2021
Wahala for who wan be igwe o
Re: Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" by oneTIMEman(m): 6:36am On Jan 21, 2021
Than God man no be God

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Fundamentals Of Odinani / Ondo Masquerades Arrested After Robbery Operation / Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.