Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,539 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:33 PM

Pandemic Affair - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Pandemic Affair (322 Views)

Pandemic Affair / Pandemic Affair- A Story Of Struggle, Pain And Love / Family Affair (A Romantic Story Written By EVANS UHUNOMA) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pandemic Affair by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 20, 2021
This is a book I wrote shortly after the Pandemic Started.

PANDEMIC AFFAIR ©

Introduction

Scores of kidnap cases are reported daily. It is so rampant that it has become worrisome to the entire populace and the government of his nation. Amidst the menace, is an outbreak of a deadly virus that plagues the entire world, which has forced many countries to go on a total lockdown. Thousands have died and thousands are sick and struggling to live. But, it is yet to be detected in his Country.

In the midst of it all, since the government of his country is not proactive enough to prevent her people from the danger looming by closing down its international airports on time, and declare a stay at home for all citizens, he continues his work as a Uber driver.

On a fateful day at work, he meets a beautiful Asian traveler, who is on a first time visit to his country. Her beauty is rare and her personality, captivating. She has class, she has money and she also possesses a factor of misfortune.

After their first meeting, destiny brings them in contact again. And that contact becomes the usher of his struggles and pain. The same that brought him love, joy and Comfort at the long run.
What then is that factor of misfortune?

Only a dig into his ordeal can reveal it.

CHAPTER 1

“Hello! Roja,” his baritone sailed through to the other end as he held his phone close to his ear. He watched the captives in front of him keenly as he talked. They must be between the age of seventeen and twenty. It was their second day in captivity and their ransom was yet to be paid.

“Yes boss, I’m here,” Roja replied and smoke escaped from his mouth and nostrils into the air. He wiggled his cigar twice and ashes fell to the ground.

“Has the flight arrived already?” Evans asked, cleared his throat and used his left hand to give a signal to the boys sitting on the floor before him, to start to eat.

“The plane will touch down in the next fifteen minutes boss,” Roja replied again. He had left the arrival hall to give his boys waiting in the car instructions. And besides, he needed a stick of cigar too. And he could only do that outside the airport hall. Smoking was prohibited within the interior part of the airport.

“Okay! who and who are working with you there?” Evans asked, expecting a pleasing reply from him.

“Luke-the-dude and Monster-J Sir,” Roja answered confidently, knowing Evans would love the combination of the two.

“Good! good!, that's really good. You know, I don’t want any excuse this time around, because this is an international job and our Client is expecting nothing short of success,” Evans said tilting the executive chair he sat on back-and-forth with his legs on the writing table.

“Yes boss, nothing but success,” Roja replied. He took a long drag of the smoke and polluted the air again with it. Then, he sharply looked on his watch, took another drag and dropped the stud on the ground and stepped on it . It was 8.26am. He listened to the instructions from Evans and at the same time he was conscious of time. Therefore, in between the conversation, he quickly cut in, “I’ve got to go boss, the plane will soon land,” he announced and walked away from Luke-the-dude and Monster-J towards the main entrance of the airport.

. . .
Evans blew the last puff of smoke after the telephone conversation, and emptied his tobacco pipe in the ashtray, and then, dropped the tobacco pipe on the table. Everyone was aware that he loved to smoke the pipe more than the cigar, and they never
touched his tobacco box. He could kill because of it. Roja, on the other hand, smoked only the cigar and would burn two packets or more every day. They were both chain smokers but Roja’s addiction was worst.

Picking up his pistol from the table, Evans looked at the boy in red T-shirt in the eye and threatened him again pointing his pistol at him.
“look here! If your father doesn’t come with the ransom by 12noon tomorrow, you are as good as dead!. If the stingy old bastard bleeps with me, I will kill you. So, I will give you the last chance to talk to him to comply by our rules. Okay?” He yelled, and the expression on his face was fierce and mean. The boy nodded his head and fear gripped his heart and then, he began to shed tears again.
He watched the boy sob, and he had not an iota of pity for him. It was not a new thing to see tears on the faces of his captives. He would not even look at them twice a times. Like he says, to make a fortune in the business, you would need to be unmerciful.
He bent his head for some seconds as if pondering. He looked up suddenly, and turned to look at the other boy. Dimming his eyes, and raising his hand up gradually, he pointed the pistol at him.
“You! Where did you say your father works?” He asked the rugged looking young man and spat on the floor. Particles of the tobacco had escaped into his mouth and that was his normal habit of getting rid of it.
“He is a civil servant and he doesn’t have money. In fact, we manage to eat everyday,” the rough looking boy said. He had shown no fear since they were kidnapped two days ago, and Evans hated such attitudes. He believed he must belong to a gang. Kids with such attitudes are those who live a gangster life. And since being in cults had become a thing of pride in the society, kids like him should not be trusted.
A mere look at him revealed he must be stubborn. Three scars decorated his face. One on his left cheek close to his left ear, another at the center of his forehead and a small one on his chin. His friend had finished eating but he was still chewing a piece of meat and was rounding up eating.
“You must be insane. Who asked you if your family eat or not? What concerns me with your family’s problem?” Evans yelled and his eyes turned wild all of a sudden.
“Look! You had better behaved well, and don’t you proof stubborn with me. Else, I will waste your life if you do” he said in anger. And he briskly stood up, walked up to him and gave him a heavy slap across the face. The slap landed on his cheek and it sounded like a pack of books falling from a high table. A sudden flash of stars showed in his eyes and he closed his eyes for some seconds. The piece of meat in his mouth had escaped out onto the floor and he behaved as if he felt no pain. Then, raising up his head, he looked at Evans fiercely like he would retaliate. And the truth is, if not for the weapon in the hand of his abductor, he would.
Only God knows where a descent young boy like the chief's son met this animal. Evans thought, as he took a few steps away from him.
“I will kill you if your friend's father does not agree to pay your ransom. Trust me. Idiot!” Evans swore between his clenched teeth and picked up the bunch of keys and mumbled in anger in his usual way.
He walked up to the door, and ushered them out of his office holding the pistol. Then, he walked them to the last room by the right. This was the room he used as a cell for the not too rich victims. It had nothing but a rug laid on the floor, a pile of novels and old magazines at the far right corner. Although, it had an air conditioner, a toilet and bathroom and a small square hole of about 2feet on the wall directly opposite the door, it remained the room with the least facilities within the building. The iron rods planted into the wall across the hole on the wall made it impossible for a hand to go through and the little ventilation it provided, made life unbearable for the captives held up in it, most especially, when there was a power failure.

He opened the door, and ordered them inside, the pistol now in his right hand.
The child of the oil and gas businessman laid on the floor sleeping. It was his second week in captivity, and his father had refused to cooperate with his abductors. He had disowned him before he was abducted and so, he was not bothered when the kidnappers called him for ransom.

(1) (Reply)

The Early Adventures Of Yellow Kid 1 / Tips For A Healthy Life Style / Greatest Speeches Ever Made || I Can't | The Greatest Speeches Compilation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.