Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Who Names Hurricanes - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Names Hurricanes (575 Views)

John Abolarinwa, Ebiakpo Chapele Names Of Pilots On Missing Nigeria Airforce Jet / Abuja Aircraft Crash: Names Of The Seven Personnel Released By Nigerian Air Forc / Why Hurricanes Have Human Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Names Hurricanes by Ogilinsaka: 11:18am On Jan 21, 2021
Every day we get to hear different countries battling one hurricane or the other. Some countries battle monsoons.
Some countries are prone to typhoons with different names.

I recall years ago when we woke up one morning to hurricane Katrina in the US.

UK, precisely the North West region is currently battling hurricane Christoph.

My question remains who and what informs the names given to these heavy rains?

cc justwise cc DisGuy please help for a wider perspective so people can learn. Thanks
Re: Who Names Hurricanes by Tenshades(m): 11:39am On Jan 21, 2021
I believe the naming is being tagged to the name of the person in charge of the monitoring who first detects the disaster from his/her detection system.

2 Likes

Re: Who Names Hurricanes by Faithful007: 11:48am On Jan 21, 2021
they are named alphabetically, from the first hurricane in a year to the last, if another hurricane comes after z, then it is named with Greek alphabets. if any hurricane causes many fatalities, that particular name is retired.

2 Likes

Re: Who Names Hurricanes by LMS1(m): 2:40pm On Jan 21, 2021
Re: Who Names Hurricanes by LMS1(m): 2:40pm On Jan 21, 2021
the gods. the gods thunder the hurricanes name when it comes... I knew this courtesy of Bollywood!

1 Like

Re: Who Names Hurricanes by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jan 21, 2021
Ogilinsaka:
Every day we get to hear different countries battling one hurricane or the other. Some countries battle monsoons.
Some countries are prone to typhoons with different names.

I recall years ago when we woke up one morning to hurricane Katrina in the US.

UK, precisely the North West region is currently battling hurricane Christoph.

My question remains who and what informs the names given to this heavy rains?

You have organisations like:

1. US National Hurricane Centre

2. World Meteorological Organisation- appendage of the UN.

They supply all the storm names from what I know.

1 Like

Re: Who Names Hurricanes by Ogilinsaka: 6:12pm On Jan 22, 2021
Faithful007:
they are named alphabetically, from the first hurricane in a year to the last, if another hurricane comes after z, then it is named with Greek alphabets. if any hurricane causes many fatalities, that particular name is retired.

Is this true?
Re: Who Names Hurricanes by NiklauseFred(m): 8:01am On Jan 23, 2021
Here to learn.

Make I no go give person pikin .....hurricane Amaka cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Names Hurricanes by Faithful007: 10:02pm On Jan 25, 2021
Ogilinsaka:

Is this true?
yeah, research.
Re: Who Names Hurricanes by Dotmanq: 11:16pm On Nov 21, 2023
Ogilinsaka:

Is this true?
Yes

(1) (Reply)

Please Who Knows Any Notary Public In Ikeja / What Is Your City Known For, Let's Guess / Should I Extend My Pof?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.