Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,923 members, 7,802,993 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:55 AM

Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point (66962 Views)

See How We Innocently Invite Snakes To Our Home Without Knowing / "My Kinsmen Are Killing My Snakes" - Ebonyi Man Cries Out! / Python Almost Strangled Indian Man To Death While Taking Selfie With It (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jan 22, 2021
The Story of a Man Who Spent 72 Hours with 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove They Only Bite if Provoked

Respected Indian herpetologist Neelam Kumar Khaire has a very interesting record to his name. In his youth, this reptile lover spent 72 hours in an enclosure with 72 venomous snakes for company. He proved that the snakes only bite when provoked, and set a Guinness record in the process.

Khaire’s legendary feat dates back to 1980, when the then 28-year-old receptionist at a hotel in Pune decided to challenge the record set by South African Peter Snyemaris, a year before. Snyemaris had spent 50 hours with 18 venomous and six semi-poisonous snakes in Johannesburg, South Africa, but Neelam believed that an Indian deserved the world record more, seeing as India was known as a land of snakes.

Despite opposition from local authorities like the police, which would neither take him seriously nor permit him to go ahead with his plan, on January 20, 1980, Neelam Kumar Khaire stepped in a glass enclosure with 72 venomous snakes.

Neelam Kumar Khaire fell in love with snakes in his early 20s, while working as the manager of a holiday home at Matheran, near Bombay. Snakes were frequent visitors of that place, and even though the other members of the staff simply killed them on sight, he could never do the same.

“Reptiles were frequent visitors at my place in Matheran,” Khaire told India Today. “I hated killing such beautiful creatures – most of them were harmless. So I started catching and releasing them in the Sahyadri hills. I once caught a snake and took it to the Haffkin Institute in Bombay. I was told that it was poisonous and too risky to be carried in this way. The incident boosted my courage and so began my obsession with snakes.”

The young snake lover had since set up a small snake park in his backyard, and made plans to establish a true snake park complete with a research center, and setting a new Guinness record was just the kind of feat necessary to attract the needed investors.

Although Guinness Records had written to Khaire detailing the ruleset for his attempt, clearly specifying that his record would still be considered valid even if he spent half an hour outside the glass enclosure every day, the 28-yeear-old refused to leave his cage at Pune’s B.J. Medical College sports ground, during the 72 hours.

Neelam and the 72 snakes (27 monocellate cobras, 24 Russell’s vipers, nine binocellate cobras, eight banded kraits, and four common snakes), got along perfectly over the three days and nights in the glass enclosure. The Indian snake man had to occasionally pick them up gently at set them on the ground, if they got too curious and started climbing on him, but he never once got bit.

At the end of the 72 hours, Neelam Kumar Khaire had demolished the old record and got his name into the Guinness Book of Records. But it was only the beginning of his adventure. The feat made his plan to build a snake park a reality. In 1986, with assistance from the Pune Municipal Corporation, he created the Katraj Snake Park, which later became known as the Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park.

Neelam Kumar Khaire was the first Indian to start an Animal Orphanage, and has dedicated his whole life to animals. He is now trying to inspire a new generation to respect nature and the environment, and to that end he founded the Uttara School of Environment, Rural Development and Extension.

Source: https://www.odditycentral.com/animals/the-story-of-a-man-who-spent-72-hours-with-72-venomous-snakes-to-prove-they-only-bite-if-provoked.html

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by iTroll: 2:19pm On Jan 22, 2021
Lalasticlala

You know what to do

171 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by iTroll: 2:20pm On Jan 22, 2021
shocked

This man's case is no different from the polygamous man who keeps different women in the same home

Or the randy Fuckboy that juggles numerous women at once

111 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Fahdiga(m): 2:21pm On Jan 22, 2021
Not ordinary. Try it at your own peril

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 22, 2021
The flow of life isn't linear all through. There are meant to be rare exceptions.

Something or someone who breaks the rules.

Something or someone who exists to contradict convention or norms, in order to do the unbelievable.

Many are called to follow the norm but only few are chosen to be exceptions.

Being an exception is a natural destiny, it's not a path for wannabes. Wannabes tried to walk that path but failed woefully.

When you're one of the exceptions, at some point in life you'd know, because it is a natural print on your instinct.

The path of life isn't totally linear. There's always an occasional recoil to the path of conventions.

252 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by osamz007: 2:24pm On Jan 22, 2021
Fahdiga:
Not ordinary. Try it at your own peril

IS IT SPIRITUAL ??

5 Likes

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by WeNoGoDie(m): 2:24pm On Jan 22, 2021
You can't prove a greater point than the fact that millions of people have been sent to their early graves by a single snake bite.

Snakes are not your friend. They kill.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Draslo(m): 2:31pm On Jan 22, 2021
I can't ever trust anyone who sees snakes as 'beautiful creatures'.

Never!
WeNoGoDie:
You can't prove a greater point than the fact that millions of people have been sent to their early graves by a single snake bite.

Snakes are not your friend. They kill.
I dey tell you. That's why I love it when my brothers make a delicious meal out of them.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Fahdiga(m): 2:32pm On Jan 22, 2021
osamz007:

IS IT SPIRITUAL ??
Can you do it?

1 Like

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by LMS1(m): 2:36pm On Jan 22, 2021
The Worst Thing To Happen To Man Na "see Finish"

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by MickzyDonald: 2:39pm On Jan 22, 2021
72 hours u said shocked

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 22, 2021
He proved that the snakes only bite when provoked, and set a Guinness record in the process.
Neelam and the 72 snakes (27 monocellate cobras, 24 Russell’s vipers, nine binocellate cobras, eight banded kraits, and four common snakes), got along perfectly over the three days and nights in the glass enclosure. The Indian snake man had to occasionally pick them up gently at set them on the ground, if they got too curious and started climbing on him, but he never once got bit.

'Provocation' is not a constant, rather it is a variable. Even if Neelam Kumar didn't start a provocation, anything else could have. One of the snakes could have gone rogue and initiated chaos in the enclosure or an external factor or spectator could have constituted provocation. But nay, 72 full hours with 72 harmful snakes in an enclosure; no fight, no bite, no death.
It's no coincidence.

Whenever I see Viola Brand perform bicycle stunts or David Belle perform parkour stunts, I can only mutter this, "wow, this is pure magic and it is real." In other words, it is a real miracle happening live. It is not a film trick, it's a real magic. Literally, it's seeing someone do the impossible.
Real scientists, regardless of their anti-theism belief have come to admit there were 'miracles' at different points which made the existence of the universe a possibility.
Beyond that, it takes a miracle for the universe to continue running as each day goes by.
Life at it's purest natural state is a miracle. This miracle is the link between the natural and the supernatural because by law of progression, all these natural miracles are hinting of the possibility of a higher state.

I believe in miracles, not because I think they happen sometimes, but because I've seen they happen all the time.

116 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by aderoju3921: 5:40pm On Jan 22, 2021
This man's case is no different from the polygamous man who keeps different women in the same home Or the randy Fuckboy that juggles numerous women at once

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Mikepenny5(m): 5:58pm On Jan 22, 2021
H
Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Prodigee: 5:58pm On Jan 22, 2021
Oyinbos and doing extreme things na 5 & 6
Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Timoleon(m): 5:58pm On Jan 22, 2021
What was the point?
Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Moezzy1(m): 5:59pm On Jan 22, 2021
Lol
Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by DenreleDave(m): 5:59pm On Jan 22, 2021
grin grin grin
Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jan 22, 2021
Damn!! This Asian breeds are something else grin
Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by solabiyi01(m): 5:59pm On Jan 22, 2021
Nothing to be surprised about.... an average indian is either a snake or a snake owner...Na dem dem

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Sirmuel1(m): 5:59pm On Jan 22, 2021
Which stupid point grin

1 Like

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by lekki1444: 5:59pm On Jan 22, 2021
shocked and the point is that he is madt
Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by ramark04: 5:59pm On Jan 22, 2021
nairaland and lala are partner that can't be separated
Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Commotfornigeri: 6:00pm On Jan 22, 2021
Oshey!

Ragnar Lothbrok

2 Likes

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by praiseneo(m): 6:00pm On Jan 22, 2021
This one na Anaconda go swallow an las las ni need for venomous snake bite
Oloribu eyan

3 Likes

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by MackIV(m): 6:01pm On Jan 22, 2021
cool
Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by free2ryhme: 6:02pm On Jan 22, 2021
Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Redxy(m): 6:02pm On Jan 22, 2021
Now wey u don do am, oya tell me, what have you gained...

2 Likes

Re: Indian Man Spent 72 Hours With 72 Venomous Snakes To Prove A Point by Fheelzz(m): 6:02pm On Jan 22, 2021
DAMN ISSORYT

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Help Sanchez My Puppy Is Dying / Obituary Poster Of A Dog That Died In Ghana (Photo) / Look At The Chameleon I Caught On My Way To The Hostel From Ball House Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.