Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,162 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

I Was Named In A Will: So What Next? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Was Named In A Will: So What Next? (138 Views)

Aliko Dangote Named 6th Most Charitable Person In The World / Dangote, 2 Other Nigerians Named In Forbes Top Ten Black Billionaires / Gtbank Wins Nigeria’s Best Bank & MD Named CEO Of The Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Was Named In A Will: So What Next? by OpatolaEsq: 7:00am On Jan 23, 2021
I was named in a will: so what next?

First, congratulations you made it to the final 11. Now what next?

Take a cup of cold water, relax and be patient, it might take a while. There are some intricate process involved.

*1. After the will is read, if the will stated the executors, then the executor starts work. If there is no Will or the Will did not state an executor, then an application is made to the Court to assign an executor.

After the will his read, the executor or administrator will make an application for probate. Where an application for Grant of probate is made, the the registrar waits for some months for objections or caveats to be filed.

The executor is expected to prove the Will. This means that it's due execution must be proved, even if the witnesses to the making of the Will have to be called in other to satisfy the registrar that the Will contains proper attestion before admitting it to probate.

Where the registrar is satisfied that the will was duly executed and that the maker of the will made it with knowledge of its content, the registrar will grant probate.

*2. Collation of the Estate: This is the identification, collection, collation and valuation of the deceased's assets, management of all estate assets.

Only after all of these matters have been addressed can the Executor/Administrator proceed to distribute the remaining assets to beneficiaries. Depending on the size of the estate, this process can take months, or, in many cases, one or more years to complete.

*3. Settlement of all just debts, liabilities and payment of necessary estate tax.

*4. Then the estate and properties can now be distributed to those entitled to it in the will

The distribution of the estate of the deceased to the beneficiaries might even be more delayed if the validity of the Will is contested.

Opatola Victor Esq.
adeopatola@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Business Ideas For As Low As 20K / This One Thing Can Keep You Poor Forever / Manager for Investment Website Female/Male (Application Period CLOSED 10/02/21)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.