Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One (5993 Views)

See What A Mechanic Did To A Customer's Lexus SUV (pics/video) / No Matter The State Or Country, Never Trust A Mechanic To Change Your Oil Unsupe / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 12:53am On Feb 16, 2021
Mottomata:
That's the way they operate. I personally make out time to stay with them throughout the job especially simple repairs like leaking exhaust.
If I won't be there, I put a disclaimer to them: 'There is catalyst on this vehicle and should not be tampered with'.

The disclaimer got me laughing hard

1 Like

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by och12(m): 12:05am On Mar 01, 2021
Please what is this "CATALYST"?. I have been seeing the name all over the auto section here.
I'm getting a car soon and is trying to garner useful knowledge to enable me enjoy my car.
Thanks in advance.

Mottomata:
That's the way they operate. I personally make out time to stay with them throughout the job especially simple repairs like leaking exhaust.
If I won't be there, I put a disclaimer to them: 'There is catalyst on this vehicle and should not be tampered with'.
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Mottomata(m): 1:53am On Mar 01, 2021
Catalytic converters (catalyst in local vernacular) change harmful substances in a car's exhaust gasses, such as carbon monoxide, nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide and hydrocarbons, into less harmful substances like carbon dioxide and water vapour by means of chemical reactions. When it fails or is removed like we've been discussing, can lead to engine performance issues.

Let me allow other knowledgeable nairalanders add to this. You can also check online for more information for your learning.
och12:
Please what is this "CATALYST"?. I have been seeing the name all over the auto section here.
I'm getting a car soon and is trying to garner useful knowledge to enable me enjoy my car.
Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 11:08am On Jul 16, 2021
Mottomata:
Catalytic converters (catalyst in local vernacular) change harmful substances in a car's exhaust gasses, such as carbon monoxide, nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide and hydrocarbons, into less harmful substances like carbon dioxide and water vapour by means of chemical reactions. When it fails or is removed like we've been discussing, can lead to engine performance issues.

Let me allow other knowledgeable nairalanders add to this. You can also check online for more information for your learning.

My mechanic once told me i don't need catalyst for my car

2 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by MARKone(m): 3:12pm On Jul 16, 2021
greatbrian:

My mechanic once told me i don't need catalyst for my car

The same way they'll tell you to remove the thermostat of a Tokumbo car, that it overheats the car here

3 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 3:35pm On Jul 16, 2021
MARKone:

The same way they'll tell you to remove the thermostat of a Tokumbo car, that it overheats the car here

Funny thing i was at the receiving end of this thermostat brouhaha
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by autologic: 5:26pm On Jul 16, 2021
Mottomata:

Nice information however the bolded statement is incorrect .
Manufacturer will not even bother to put cat on Vehicle made for countries without strict emissions law eg nigeria and some Asians countries.
U can even checkout this; lot of toyota yaris from Elizade , Honda civic from Honda place kia and Hyundai sold from Dana doesn't even come with cat and oxygen sensors.
So cat is strictly for emissions purposes and doesn't concern performance issue on vehicles .

9 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by MARKone(m): 6:58pm On Jul 16, 2021
autologic:

Manufacturer will not even bother to put cat on Vehicle made for countries without strict emissions law eg nigeria and some Asians countries.
U can even checkout this; lot of toyota yaris from Elizade , Honda civic from Honda place kia and Hyundai sold from Dana doesn't even come with cat and oxygen sensors.
So cat is strictly for emissions purposes and doesn't concern performance issue on vehicles .

Bros, it does, it affects engine performance.

1 Like

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by autologic: 7:39pm On Jul 16, 2021
MARKone:

Seems u missing some points here :
what i am referring to is no- catalysts or missing cat which will never affect performance not Compromised or bad cat

3 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Mottomata(m): 8:40pm On Jul 17, 2021
autologic:

Thank you for the correction!
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by cokerayodele9(m): 3:12am On Jul 19, 2021
Nice thread

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by okoroemeka(m): 5:15am On Jul 19, 2021
iliyande:
Sanmi why grin

Lesson! Never give Mechanic(s) your car except you have time to be with them and supervise your work
I never leave my car with mechanics,the first time I did that they took the catalyst,if I am too busy to go personally I will leave the car till I will go with it.they can even change your ECU to another that will spoil in 2 days time
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by InsideLove(f): 9:29am On Jul 21, 2021
greatbrian:

The disclaimer got me laughing hard
Please check your mailbox. Thanks.
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by ariesbull: 2:13am On Jul 22, 2021
MARKone:

A significant increase of horsepower. Vehicles with a removed catalytic converter have experienced a significant increase of horsepower. This has been made possible because the catalytic converter creates a considerable source of back-pressure on the engine. This is because it limits the impact of the exiting gases and when it is removed, these gases can leave the engine and pass through the exhaust at a faster rate and at a larger quantity. Without the catalyst’s limiting effects, the engine can now operate and use its optimum horsepower.
You will get better exhaust sounds. Since the catalytic converter works to decrease the effect of the gases emerging from the engine, it can also muffle the sounds of the exhaust together with the vehicle’s muffler. With it removed, you will get to experience a low-pitched, louder, and a more distinctive exhaust sound. Depending on the drivers’ preference, this can also become a disadvantage for people who want a more quiet ride.
You will have more fuel options. Catalytic converter requires the vehicle to only use unleaded gasoline. This is because the lead found in conventional gasoline can be harmful to some inner catalyst materials and keeps it from doing its job efficiently. Removing catalytic converters can give you access to more fuel options. You can choose to use those high-performance fuels that are widely sold in the market today.
Lower engine operating temperature is achieved. Without the catalytic converter, the vehicle’s engine workload is decreased since the exhaust’s exit from it can be done at a faster rate. This results in a relatively reduced engine operating temperature. With the engine working under lesser load and using lesser effort, you can expect that it will also generate less friction that can help reduce the wear and tear of your vehicle and its parts over time.
Better gas mileage. Removing the catalytic converter lessens the strain on the engine due to its restricting effects. The engine will no longer have to work double time to produce the same energy when the converter is still in place. The lessened workload allows the engine to function easily which also leads to a lesser fuel consumption and a better gas mileage.
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by ariesbull: 2:14am On Jul 22, 2021
autologic:

Seems u missing some points here :
what i am referring to is no- catalysts or missing cat which will never affect performance not Compromised or bad cat

You are right ...removed catalyst even improves engine performance
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 8:24pm On Jul 28, 2021
ariesbull:

I was told this sha. I saw it as a layman or should I say drunkards words
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by ariesbull: 8:59am On Jul 29, 2021
greatbrian:

I was told this sha. I saw it as a layman or should I say drunkards words

That is truth ...I have driven my Benz ML without the cats and it works well....and the engine great with awesome exhaust note
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by BamBamK: 9:25am On Jul 29, 2021
ariesbull:

very true... adds d growl sound to ur exhaust notes sef

1 Like

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by kaymart: 10:11pm On Nov 27, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
My own story will make people wonder why Nigeria mechanics still exist.
Out of all the 1000 and 1 problems my car has been giving me since I've been using this guy, he did the one that nearly took my life 2 weeks ago.

I wanted to travel to Lagos so I took my car to him for inspection before embarking on the journey. It's my way of life. I always want to be able to trust my car 100% percent when I'm embarking on a trip so I always check everything before any trip be it short or long.
This particular day, I told him to check the car cuz I'm feeling some kind of vibration on the suspensions. Take out the tires and check the whole suspension. That was my word.
I left his place and went to work in my wife's car then came back in thr evening to pick up the car. He said he has done everything, I can go to Lagos in peace. Don't worry bros.
Okay, thanks. I saw that the car was dirty so I said I should take it to a car wash down the road.
To my shock and surprise... While I was speeding at 60km/hr, my right side front wheel came off! I nearly lost control! The wheel pulled and damaged my fender!
WTF! This is an ACURA 2012! I have been driving this car for a year now, nothing like this has ever happened to me! I came out of the car and inspected. Lo and behold, 3 nuts from the suspension is right there on the ground. The came off. The ball joint nut, the upper arm nut and another nut I don't even know where it came from.
What the fvck! I called him and he said he's on his way, I nearly slapped him when he got there. Oga said he forgot to tighten the nuts!
That day I vowed never to see him again. Imagine if this happened on my way to Lagos and I'm driving 120km!

Last Las, I couldn't go to Lagos the next day cuz my fender looked terrible and I was so worried that something else will happen!

People that drove past me on the road that day before he got there said so many things! Some were like how can this happen to this latest car! Lol
Some were like chai, Honda and wahala, some even said I'm careless cuz it only happens to careless people. That was the day I actually understand that people don't care to know how it happened, they just want to judge immediately.

Now I have to drive 40 minutes to a standard auto shop went I want to check my car. I told them to review everything he has done. Shit, you need to see so many wrong doings! He once told me to change my timing belt and tensioner cuz my car hesitates a little sometimes so I ordered the timing belt and Adjuster but on getting to this new guys, I discovered that there was a little hole in my emission pipe and that was the cause. Now I have an unused timing belt and Adjuster at home. grin
I thought timing belts are for older vehicle like 90's and early 20s
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by 2special(m): 7:51am On Nov 28, 2021
Learnt alot here... thanks
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Praxtech: 8:34am On Nov 28, 2021
Nice thread
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by WorldGreatest1(m): 6:18pm On Nov 28, 2021
ariesbull:

That is truth ...I have driven my Benz ML without the cats and it works well....and the engine great with awesome exhaust note
Please why do people attribute the absence of catalytic converter to high fuel consumption in cars and why do some mechanics steal it?
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Born2conquer: 7:48pm On Nov 28, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
My own story will make people wonder why Nigeria mechanics still exist.
Out of all the 1000 and 1 problems my car has been giving me since I've been using this guy, he did the one that nearly took my life 2 weeks ago.

I wanted to travel to Lagos so I took my car to him for inspection before embarking on the journey. It's my way of life. I always want to be able to trust my car 100% percent when I'm embarking on a trip so I always check everything before any trip be it short or long.
This particular day, I told him to check the car cuz I'm feeling some kind of vibration on the suspensions. Take out the tires and check the whole suspension. That was my word.
I left his place and went to work in my wife's car then came back in thr evening to pick up the car. He said he has done everything, I can go to Lagos in peace. Don't worry bros.
Okay, thanks. I saw that the car was dirty so I said I should take it to a car wash down the road.
To my shock and surprise... While I was speeding at 60km/hr, my right side front wheel came off! I nearly lost control! The wheel pulled and damaged my fender!
WTF! This is an ACURA 2012! I have been driving this car for a year now, nothing like this has ever happened to me! I came out of the car and inspected. Lo and behold, 3 nuts from the suspension is right there on the ground. The came off. The ball joint nut, the upper arm nut and another nut I don't even know where it came from.
What the fvck! I called him and he said he's on his way, I nearly slapped him when he got there. Oga said he forgot to tighten the nuts!
That day I vowed never to see him again. Imagine if this happened on my way to Lagos and I'm driving 120km!

Last Las, I couldn't go to Lagos the next day cuz my fender looked terrible and I was so worried that something else will happen!

People that drove past me on the road that day before he got there said so many things! Some were like how can this happen to this latest car! Lol
Some were like chai, Honda and wahala, some even said I'm careless cuz it only happens to careless people. That was the day I actually understand that people don't care to know how it happened, they just want to judge immediately.

Now I have to drive 40 minutes to a standard auto shop went I want to check my car. I told them to review everything he has done. Shit, you need to see so many wrong doings! He once told me to change my timing belt and tensioner cuz my car hesitates a little sometimes so I ordered the timing belt and Adjuster but on getting to this new guys, I discovered that there was a little hole in my emission pipe and that was the cause. Now I have an unused timing belt and Adjuster at home. grin
When I had an accident in 2017 was the day I linda lost hope in humanity, while coming down the slope, the car went off which made the steering and the brake stiff! Lol, the car ran and tumbled fully into the ditch, it was around 6am because we lost someone and we were rushing to the hospital.

Nobody offered to help just side remarks and glances “Yahoo boys and overspeeding sha” “see how he looked unkept and he was driving” “they won’t know how to drive and they will be driving”! Kidding yoh not, even those I knew didn’t stop except one man using jeep, the man turned back, brought out rope from his car, tied it to his car and mine and pulled mine out.

Everybody is a good driver until they have an accident

4 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by ariesbull: 6:16am On Nov 29, 2021
WorldGreatest1:

Please why do people attribute the absence of catalytic converter to high fuel consumption in cars and why do some mechanics steal it?

They steal it becuse of the expensive metals that they used in making it.... Catalytic converters form part of a car's exhaust system. They contain a honeycomb coated with precious metals such as platinum, palladium and rhodium which help to reduce and filter harmful gases from the vehicles' exhaust systems.

It has absolutely nothing to do with fuel management systems especially in benz cars... It even make the car gain millage and engine work well if removed

2 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Kelvin30286063(m): 6:23am On Nov 29, 2021
Born2conquer:

When I had an accident in 2017 was the day I linda lost hope in humanity, while coming down the slope, the car went off which made the steering and the brake stiff! Lol, the car ran and tumbled fully into the ditch, it was around 6am because we lost someone and we were rushing to the hospital.

Nobody offered to help just side remarks and glances “Yahoo boys and overspeeding sha” “see how he looked unkept and he was driving” “they won’t know how to drive and they will be driving”! Kidding yoh not, even those I knew didn’t stop except one man using jeep, the man turned back, brought out rope from his car, tied it to his car and mine and pulled mine out.

Everybody is a good driver until they have an accident
You are right about the heartlessness of people towards accident victims.
This reminds me of when I was in school many years ago. My friend and I wanted to go and submit an IT form at a company in the next town. He had a bike so we decided to go on his bike since it was just less than 20 minutes away.
Long story short, we had an accident on our way and he fell really hard with his head hitting the road. He was bleeding seriously and already unconscious. I was seriously injured too but I was conscious so I started trying the little resuscitation I know. With little luck, he jutted back to life and started groaning in pain. At that point, I started flagging down cars and buses. All they did was just slow down and look at us and went their way.
We were there for 15 minutes and I started contemplating carrying him on my back and trekking all the way back into town. But I was hurt too so that won't be easy.
Luckily for me, a man stopped. He gave us a ride back to town and dropped him at the general hospital. While the nurses were rushing my friend in, the man left. I've not seen him since then but that little encounter taught me some lessons.
Years later when I started buying my own cars, I don't just drive past accident victims. I've helped two and I no die.
I even helped a bike man with a broken leg that they almost attacked me when I took him home cos they thought I was the one that hit him with my car. Thank God he was conscious.

1 Like

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Praxtech: 8:48am On Nov 29, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

You are right about the heartlessness of people towards accident victims.
This reminds me of when I was in school many years ago. My friend and I wanted to go and submit an IT form at a company in the next town. He had a bike so we decided to go on his bike since it was just less than 20 minutes away.
Long story short, we had an accident on our way and he fell really hard with his head hitting the road. He was bleeding seriously and already unconscious. I was seriously injured too but I was conscious so I started trying the little resuscitation I know. With little luck, he jutted back to life and started groaning in pain. At that point, I started flagging down cars and buses. All they did was just slow down and look at us and went their way.
We were there for 15 minutes and I started contemplating carrying him on my back and trekking all the way back into town. But I was hurt too so that won't be easy.
Luckily for me, a man stopped. He gave us a ride back to town and dropped him at the general hospital. While the nurses were rushing my friend in, the man left. I've not seen him since then but that little encounter taught me some lessons.
Years later when I started buying my own cars, I don't just drive past accident victims. I've helped two and I no die.
I even helped a bike man with a broken leg that they almost attacked me when I took him home cos they thought I was the one that hit him with my car. Thank God h.e was conscious.
Don't blame them. Every Catholic priest with his own rosary.
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by ceasare: 9:28pm On Dec 03, 2021
Praxtech:

Don't blame them. Every Catholic priest with his own rosary.

dont blame passerby....the useless friends we have called police can turn d matter up side down shd in case things goes down south...u can imagine d guy who offered to assist you and your friend.if any thing happens btw where he picked u and the general hospital do u think d police will let him go? even the people around that the incidence did not happen in their presence might want to lynch him.thats d kind of country we are where police dont do any forensic investigation they js jump to conclusion and name a suspect or extort u to high heavens for just been a good Samaritan...dont blame d people who didn't help!!!
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Praxtech: 10:31pm On Dec 03, 2021
ceasare:

dont blame passerby....the useless friends we have called police can turn d matter up side down shd in case things goes down south...u can imagine d guy who offered to assist you and your friend.if any thing happens btw where he picked u and the general hospital do u think d police will let him go? even the people around that the incidenc.e did not happen in their presence might want to lynch him.thats d kind of country we are where police dont do any forensic investigation they js jump to conclusion and name a suspect or extort u to high heavens for just been a good Samaritan...dont blame d people who didn't help!!!
We are saying the same thing.
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by skywalker240(m): 12:17pm On Dec 05, 2021
Thing is, how do we identify these kazeems
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Elsueno: 2:22pm On Dec 05, 2021
Tell am woh Ceasare, as for me, If it's during the day & d accident victim isn't very injured, I will happily help, especially if there is a witness.

If it's at night, am sorry but I will not stop to help anybody...

1 Like

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by homeboy205: 3:48pm On Dec 05, 2021
skywalker240:
Thing is, how do we identify these kazeems

Thing is, you need to know what is wrong with your car prior before going to any mechanic.

When you are sure this is what is wrong, if they keep telling you something else… run oo na kazeem.

More reason everyone need a pocket scanner

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Reliable Is Nissan Almera And Nissan Primera / Why Do People Drive When It Makes More Sense To Ride A Bike / Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.