Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,776 members, 7,802,384 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. (51264 Views)

Babafemi Ojudu Unhappy As Femi Fani-Kayode Joins APC / Sunday Igboho: I Am In My House In Ibadan, I Wasn't Arrested At Guru Maharaji's / Sunday Igboho: I Can’t Blame Fulani For Burning Down My House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by seunmsg(m): 2:00pm On Jan 25, 2021
The Sunday Igboho I Knew

By Babafemi Ojudu

It was in 2009. The Appeal Court sitting in Ilorin ordered a rerun in a number of polling units in the election between Segun Oni of PDP and Dr Kayode Fayemi of ACN.

Oni had in the main election and the election petition tribunal that followed been declared winner of the gubernatorial contest. Our party , ACN contested this , hence the declaration of a rerun.

The election which came three months after the Appeal Court judgement was like war. The PDP ruling at the Federal level did not want to lose Ekiti while the opposition ACN led and financed by Bola Ahmed Tinubu wanted to take Ekiti by all means.

A few days to the election,we got an intelligence report that the PDP big wigs had perfected a plan to unleash thugs recruited from across Yoruba land on Ekiti. The plan was to kill and maim as many as possible, snatch ballot boxes and win by any means possible.

Tinubu summoned me to Lagos and said Femi,"I have conducted a scientific opinion poll. You people can win this election. The only snag however is they are deploying state security as well as thugs against you. State security men we can handle ( and he did creatively handled them ) but how do you handle thugs?"

I then suggested we dissuade them by engagement and inducements. After all they are in the business only for the money and not for ideological reasons.

We reached out to both Ade Basket in Akure and Fada Geri in Ondo. Both were dreaded in political circles. We had a series of meetings with them and were able squeeze an agreement with them that they will not make themselves available to PDP for hire. I got them to even sign documents for me that they were going to stay off Ekiti elections.

The biggest headache for us then was Sunday Igboho who we learnt has been hired and paid by a Senator from Osun to come and cause mayhem in Ekiti. Tinubu instructed we must get him at all cost.

Six days to the election we began our search for him. Eventually we met someone who had his number. I put a call through to him and he agreed to meet with me in Ibadan. We scheduled an appointment and had a meeting at a small hotel not far from Premier Hotel.

Tinubu , I told him , has sent me to him that he will like to have a meeting with him. He said he will love to meet him as he has heard a lot of good things about him too. The problem he said is he is PDP and not ACN. I said that precisely is the reason why he wanted to meet with him. He asked if I could keep this a secret, I said why not . Papa Adedibu , and our Osun Senator , he said must not learn about his meeting Tinubu. I told him there is no way they will know except it leaks from his side.

He agreed to a meeting on Thursday preceding the election. I reported back to Tinubu who then relocated from his base in Lagos to Sunview Hotel in Akure. Igboho drove down alone at about 10.00 pm. I and Tinubu had a dialogue with him.

“Igboho,”!Tinubu said, “ I have heard a lot about your bravery . The Ekiti people have suffered too long under the rule of PDP. They are looking for change. I learnt you have been hired to make this impossible. I have invited you to plead with you to allow the poll to be conducted peacefully. If after that the PDP wins fine. If the ACN wins, all well and good”.

Tinubu went on and on lecturing him on the beauty of democracy and unencumbered electoral process. By the time Tinubu finished with him, he became sober and contrite. “ Baba”, he said, “ I have heard you and I am pleased with what you have said. Whatever you want me to do I will do even though I have collected money from the other side” .

This was the extent Tinubu went to secure Ekiti for his party, ACN. Most of this the candidate, Fayemi , himself was not even aware of.

Tinubu then beckoned me to follow him to the bedroom of the suit he occupied in the hotel. “ Femi this guy appear sincere. It does appear we have dissuaded him.“

“Thank you Baba” Igboho said with a smile across his face as soon as he received a golden handshake for agreeing to not kill in Ekiti as they had planned.

He then said that he will be in Ekiti on the eve of the election but when it is 2.00 am I should put a call through to him. He will put his phone on speaker and I should tell him I am a police AIG and that the police has discovered his presence in Ekiti and will be raiding in 30 minutes time. With that call he will tell his minders he can no longer stay. He will pack his boys and their lethal weapons and leave town.

Tinubu ordered food and drink for him. He will touch neither. He however overtime became comfortable in our midst and regaled us with several anecdotes from his career as a political enforcer. One particular anecdote stayed locked up in my memory till today because it was so funny.

According to Igboho he went through the tutelage of Chief Adedibu, the strong man of Ibadan politics. He said he was one of his most reliable and trusted thugs. At a point in their relationship, Adedibu , he said began to suspect he was getting too powerful and independent. Adedibu , he narrated, then invited him to a meeting and told him he will like him to run for the chairmanship of a local government.

He said he knew this was an attempt by Adedibu to bench him and he therefore told Adedibu that he was not educated , not able to speak English and could therefore not be chairman of a local government.

Adedibu , he said , looked at him and barked an order STAND UP! He stood up. “SIT DOWN!” He sat down. Adedibu then said “and you claim not to be educated. Whatever is left we shall add it unto you”.

A week before the election, we had reserved and paid for all the rooms in all the hotels in Ekiti. The money ran into several millions. Tinubu, as usual, paid for this. The strategy was to ensure no thug or any undesirable element had a place to stay in the state. Security men and INEC officials had to appeal to me, sometimes through Tinubu, to release some rooms to them to stay. With this we knew who was staying where. And we closely monitored them and their activities.

When Igboho and his band of 50 thugs arrived Ado Ekiti that Friday we were able to monitor them till they were taken to be accommodated over night in government house due to lack of hotel accommodation in the state.

This was the situation when at 2:00 am I did exactly what Igboho instructed me to do and he and his men fled town. Two hours after leaving I got a call from him. They did head count and found out two of their men were missing. They found out the two had gone to town in search of women. Igboho pleaded with me to help retrieve them and get them out of town following morning.

At about 5.00 am that morning I picked them up in front of the Fire Station at Fajuyi Park , took them to my house and by 6.00 am got a driver to take them out of town.
We had the re-run elections. It wasn’t entirely peaceful. But thuggery and violence was largely reduced.

This was my encounter with Sunday Adeyemo alias Sunday Igboho , lately crowned a hero in Yoruba land , by the reign of terror by herders and bandits.

He has that occasional conscience you can appeal to. Let those who can rein in the herders do so and make the forests and highways safe again. Let farmers be able to carry out their occupation without fear of kidnap , murder and rape. Let us find a modern and permanent solution to this issue of itinerant herding that pitches a group of Nigerians against the other. Let us not ethnicize criminality. A criminal is a criminal and a crime is a crime whether perpetrated by Fulani, Yoruba , Igbo, Ijaw , Junkun, Bachama or Ibariba.

We should do everything possible to stave off this crisis and stop beating the drums of war before it reaches a crescendo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dateline.ng/the-sunday-igboho-i-knew-by-babafemi-ojudu/amp/

36 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by nosiebaba(m): 2:09pm On Jan 25, 2021
Tinubu don do shit sha

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by theFilmtric: 2:10pm On Jan 25, 2021
citygarden:
[s]What people don’t understand about Tinubu is that he loves south west people than all this Afenifere stuff. He believes to use wealth of a state to develop another state as longer as southwest remains a regional party. But his vision is being driven back by his boys he plot in some positions to make things work, instead they go for their own agenda. Like Fayemi, Akeredolu, Fashola, to mention few. He can sacrifice his life for someone struggles. Someone can’t be good in all aspects without having one or two dirty deals. No one is perfect, even our pastors and Alfa. Talk less of politicians. Is only God a lot of sacrifices he has made for the south west which people don’t even know, until when he is dead.[/s]

nonsense.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12961679_12822921screenshot20201211151521jpegd954aebb8edfb61ed8eb3efce978b922_jpeg_jpegde2dff8bc554f6f12a49ea5e05e1d306

theFilmtricsay

88 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by dumahi(m): 2:12pm On Jan 25, 2021
Wow!!!

1 Like

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by seunmsg(m): 2:12pm On Jan 25, 2021
nosiebaba:
Tinubu don do shit sha

Sadly, the same people he did all the shit for are now doing everything possible to bring him down. Imagine the extent he went to get Fayemi elected. Winning election no be play play o.

147 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by nosiebaba(m): 2:17pm On Jan 25, 2021
seunmsg:

Sadly, the same people he did all the shit for are now doing everything possible to bring him down. Imagine the extent he went to get Fayemi elected. Winning election o be play play o.
It all boils down to interest. I believe it was an investment he did with a lot of profit.

135 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by seunmsg(m): 2:20pm On Jan 25, 2021

Adedibu , he said , looked at him and barked an order STAND UP! He stood up. “SIT DOWN!” He sat down. Adedibu then said “and you claim not to be educated. Whatever is left we shall add it unto you”.

WTF!!!
Baba Adedibu na mad man I swear grin grin grin

203 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by mike8804: 2:23pm On Jan 25, 2021
seunmsg:

Sadly, the same people he did all the shit for are now doing everything possible to bring him down. Imagine the extent he went to get Fayemi elected. Winning election o be play play o.
we are rule by mafians, that's why it's difficult to make Nigeria great

70 Likes

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by VirginFinder: 2:23pm On Jan 25, 2021
Hmmmn

I suspect this write-up. angry

Igboho is more of a Yoruba activist than a political thug at this time. smiley

101 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by luvmijeje(f): 2:25pm On Jan 25, 2021
Awon Olote!!!!! E ma te!!!!

The smear campaign have started. Whether he was an ex-thug or not is irrelevant. What are the Governors doing about the herders terrorising our people?

Your failure to enforce laws is the reason your smear campaign will fail.

228 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by wakaman: 2:26pm On Jan 25, 2021
Tinubus feelings.

8 Likes

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 25, 2021
And some people would want us to believe that our vote counts for anything. Politicians and thugs and INEC and security personnel decide everything in our democracy. We still all are slaves.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by festacman(m): 2:29pm On Jan 25, 2021
Certain things are better kept in closet and revealed in memoirs down the line of time. There is only one Jagaban, no doubt!

However, I guess Femi Ojudu went this far to prove that though Sunday Igboho can be resolute and fearless in pursuit of his objectives, he can also succumb to voice of reason and 'action of reason', so to speak. Good to know. I hope stakeholders are listening.

And please no persecuting Sunday Igboho after this whole wahala because his status is now more than a thug but that of BALOGUN GENERAL of Yorubaland.

Stunning how time and events unbalance equations and change scheme of things so fast!

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by seunmsg(m): 2:29pm On Jan 25, 2021
nosiebaba:

It all boils down to interest. I believe it was an investment he did with a lot of profit.

Truly, politics is all about interest. However, politicians should be responsible enough to keep all legitimate gentleman’s agreement. If I support you today with the condition that you will support me tomorrow, it’s only responsible to keep your side of the bargain no matter the shift in interest. There is a saying in Yoruba land that “iyi omoluabi ni kasoro kaba be”

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by yorubarere: 2:32pm On Jan 25, 2021
Same fayemi is betraying him. That man. Afi oju olore gungi. Tueh!

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by yorubarere: 2:33pm On Jan 25, 2021
luvmijeje:
Awon Olote!!!!! E ma te!!!!

The smear campaign have started. Whether he was an ex-thug or not is irrelevant. What are the Governors doing about the herders terrorising our people?

Your failure to enforce laws is the reason your smear campaign will fail.

Learn to read. He is not battering his image. He is promoting it with wisdom.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by Freestainworld(m): 2:36pm On Jan 25, 2021
This story is not complete because they didn't tell us how much Tinubu paid Igboho during the whole saga, you can't tell me he did all that for free, Tinubu just became the highest bidder that night, the reason Sunday Igboho backed down.

125 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by LiesSlayer007: 2:38pm On Jan 25, 2021
seunmsg:

WTF!!!
Baba Adedibu na mad man I swear grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin Baba Adedibu na werey ooo grin grin Baba wey tell Ladoja weda he fity comot him cloth fight for market,Ladoja say lailai,Baba tell ladoja say he neva ready for politics grin grin

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by seunmsg(m): 2:41pm On Jan 25, 2021
Freestainworld:
This story is not complete because they didn't tell us how much Tinubu paid Igboho during the whole saga, you can't tell me he did all that for free, Tinubu just became the highest bidder that night, the reason Sunday Igboho backed down.

“Thank you Baba” Igboho said with a smile across his face as soon as he received a golden handshake for agreeing to not kill in Ekiti as they had planned.

37 Likes

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by luvmijeje(f): 2:41pm On Jan 25, 2021
yorubarere:

Learn to read. He is not battering his image. He is promoting it with wisdom.

You should read the article again. Who's coming out smelling good in this article? That's the same person who sent them out on a Pr job.

36 Likes

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by yorubarere: 2:42pm On Jan 25, 2021
luvmijeje:

You should read the article again. Who's coming out smelling good in this article? That's the same person who sent them out on a Pr job.
Guy chill and read again. We are on same page just seeing things differently.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by yorubarere: 2:43pm On Jan 25, 2021
Freestainworld:
I am sure you know what a golden hand shake means

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by illicit(m): 2:48pm On Jan 25, 2021
This is very unnecessary....

F u c k u ojududu

15 Likes

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by luvmijeje(f): 2:53pm On Jan 25, 2021
yorubarere:

Guy chill and read again. We are on same page just seeing things differently.

He has that occasional conscience you can appeal to. Let those who can rein in the herders do so and make the forests and highways safe again. Let farmers be able to carry out their occupation without fear of kidnap , murder and rape. Let us find a modern and permanent solution to this issue of itinerant herding that pitches a group of Nigerians against the other. Let us not ethnicize criminality. A criminal is a criminal and a crime is a crime whether perpetrated by Fulani, Yoruba , Igbo, Ijaw , Junkun, Bachama or Ibariba.

The bolded above is what blinded you into thinking this is not a Pr job and simultaneously a smear job. Let me disabuse your mind with three questions.

Is the person who wrote the article not in the ruling party? Are they not part of the government turning blind eyes to what's going on? If the people who are in the ruling party don't have solution, is it you or me that will have solution?

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by gasparpisciotta: 3:05pm On Jan 25, 2021
Nigerian politics is not for the faint hearted

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by jojofola: 3:08pm On Jan 25, 2021
Inasmuch as Sunday has been a Political thug, he is a reasonable person.

15 Likes

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by lamentor78(m): 3:09pm On Jan 25, 2021
Have you ever seen a freedom fighter coming from an ex banker or ex CEO ,it must be someone on the street that understand the pain of people , so you guys should stop telling us Igboho is a political thug ,he is now more that that ....

106 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by tamdun: 3:16pm On Jan 25, 2021
Still, fayemi betrayed Tinubu, fayemi is a snake

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by Inkling(f): 3:18pm On Jan 25, 2021
Hmmm

What i read to this is that Tinubu always leave no stone unturned when dealing with opponents, and he has enough money to go round.

These people have finished tonne of books on power. Do you see the tactics he used in monitoring his enemies? He bought all hotel managers, instruct them to furnish him the details of any strange faces in their hotels and to turn down any offer from opponent.

That was the same tactics they used on Endsars protesters. They left no stone unturned to clear out the mess.

,48 laws of power and The art of war are in their blood.

We are in hot soup. No solution on sight

46 Likes

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by GidiHausAgent(m): 3:20pm On Jan 25, 2021
true story

1 Like

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by Tolexander: 3:23pm On Jan 25, 2021
A week before the election, we had reserved and paid for all the rooms in all the hotels in Ekiti. The money ran into several millions. Tinubu, as usual, paid for this. The strategy was to ensure no thug or any undesirable element had a place to stay in the state. Security men and INEC officials had to appeal to me, sometimes through Tinubu, to release some rooms to them to stay. With this we knew who was staying where. And we closely monitored them and their activities.
can you imagine this nonsense cos of an election outside his state, not even sharing any boundary with his state.
Someone should tell me Tinubu had nothing to gain from that huge investment.

And when Tinubu got hold of Federal power, he started using security and thugs against the opposition as it was witnessed in Osun and Lagos State

21 Likes

Re: The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. by Tolexander: 3:26pm On Jan 25, 2021
seunmsg:

You wouldn’t say that cos you don’t know the deal they had between them.

You think Bola Tinubu didn’t have what to gain from the election before investing such billions of Naira on it?

It was a deal and business between both politicians. You don’t know the basis, deal and reward for both men which they could have fulfilled on a gentle men ground.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Accident Investigation Bureau Confirms Death Of General Attahiru, 7 Others / 2019 VP Debate: Uzor Kalu Reacts To Osinbajo’s Performance, Reveals One Thing Ob / IPOB On Ahmed Gulak: It’s Political Assassination, Hold Uzodinma, Not Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.