Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,626 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. (3080 Views)

Igbos And Yorubas Have Historical Ties – Ooni Of Ife / Where Are Ijaws In Warri City? / Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Yujin(m): 2:53pm On Jan 26, 2021
Well OP, I've studied for long to identify this Igbo/Ijaw palavar specifically than the entire Eastern minority vs Igbo issue. I started right from the slave trade era down to the post war time to really understand the problem and my discovery was these.
The Igbo/Ijaw interaction was more pronounced in the Bonny area and the impression the Ijaws had about the Igbos as at the time wasn't wholistic. With a good number of Ijaws being the middlemen in the trade of slaves(where Igbos were more than 70%), they were satisfied with the relationship and wanted it to stay that way. Trouble started when slave trade ended and palm oil became the new business. The Ijaws still remained the middle men but now the Igbos working with them we're the ones handling the running of the business and some how distinguished themselves in the business perhaps because they know more about the source of the product. Remember Jaja and how he later left Bonny to Opobo. After he went to Opobo, palm oil scarcity hit Bonny and drastically affected here economy coupled with that, the Europeans had by this time developed the steam engine and could navigate upstream to buy the palm oil and other products directly from those that produce it in the hinterland. It was a blow to the economy of most Ijaw communities at the coast and they disliked it greatly eg Brass people use to buy palm oil from Igbos of Aboh make a lot of money from it but with this, they lost all as the British went directly to Aboh to buy at a cheaper rate. This was one of the first times the anger for the Igbos started.
Another episode was during the opening up of PH and the early politics that happened then. A lot of Igbos from the hinterland (Onitsha and Owerri) came down to PH to participate and the numbers was just too overwhelming that a lot of Ijaws became scared. Unfortunately, some of these Igbos didn't manage the situation well such that the Ijaws felt left out. You know, as at the time(1916-1950), crude oil was not in the picture as the whole Eastern region survived mostly on palm oil(Igbo and Akwa/Cross area) and coal (Enugu). This discontent of the Ijaws who had dealt earlier with fewer Igbos and at a more dignified position became so high now that they are dealing with a bigger population than they thought saw the call for a commission of inquiry into their perceived unfair treatment. The commission was called the Willinks Commission and you can read up it's findings online. Oil was discovered in different parts of the hinterland in the late 30s but the British only opened up when they discovered the one at Oloibiri(Bayelsa) in 1956. With this announcement came a lot of pressure for the creation of states for the minorities. Like I said earlier, the Igbos from the hinterland who controlled the politics of the Eastern region although tried to balance things, they made some mistakes perhaps of oversight that didn't go down well with the Ijaws and co and especially in the Port Harcourt area that the ill-feelings lingered. The Willink's Commission confirmed the fairness of the Igbos in the various areas of complain yet the minorities weren't satisfied and still wanted their own state possibly because of Oloibiri. It was after this time that Adaka Boro came up.
One of the major complains of Boro was that the PH refinery was to have been built in Oloibiri and not PH (remember I mentioned PH as one of the major source of concern) and he formed his NDVF for the Ijaw people which PH wasn't part of it. As the situation will be, the federal government under Ironsi stopped it and he was arrested. Note the condition of Nigeria under Ironsi was tensed and unstable. When the war started, Boro was released and commissioned into the Nigerian Army to organize other Ijaw youths to fight Biafra starting from the Bonny area to PH. Meanwhile, other Ijaws were fighting for Biafra too. To cut long story short, after the capture of PH, Boro was killed by those that released him and Biafra lost with many Igbos of the hinterland leaving their properties in the same PH which was seized by the newly created Rivers State under an Ijawman with the blessing of the Gowon led FG. This became the notorious ' abandoned property' we hear today.
To worsen the problem, many Rivers State Igbos were forced to deny their identity to fit into the expectation of Old Rivers State with Ijaws inside hence the renaming of communities and creation of ethnic nationalities in almost every local government. That Rivers State was the type of relationship the Ijaws wanted to have with the Igbos(this is my personal understanding of the matter). Soon afterwards came the cry for marginalisation once again but this time against the Ijaws by both the Igbos of Rivers State and the Ogonis which led to the creation of Bayelsa state in 1996.
In conclusion, I believe the problem between both groups is that of who controls the territory and possibly is in charge of the wealth of the land. The Ijaws prefer to deal with a manageble population of Igbos so they can be in charge as it was in pre 1900 whereas the Igbos failed to grant the Ijaws the level of autonomy and control that would shake off the fear of Igbo domination. I believe that if we discuss these things properly, we can work together and salvage the leftovers of what the current thieves are stealing from our lands. Opobo was a success and we can create an even better success today.
Note: I skipped the 'sabo era' because I'm yet to read of any disproportionate treatment of communities who were accused of sabotaging the Biafran struggle because the Biafran army was made up of all tribes of the old Eastern region.

3 Likes

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Ekealterego: 7:30pm On Jan 26, 2021
Yujin:
Well OP, I've studied for long to identify this Igbo/Ijaw palavar specifically than the entire Eastern minority vs Igbo issue. .
You skipped the overwhelming support for Jonathan, who was regarded as "brother". This act made Igbo people the enemy in other parts of Nigeria.
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:57pm On Jan 27, 2021
Sinistami:
And I guess this was the main reason why the Ijaw and other minorities of Rivers State indulge in the Abandoned property saga, ceizing property that had once belonged to Igbos.

Everybody needs to stop playing this victim game because we were all guilty. My ancestors were guilty , your ancestors were guilty. I get sick when every thread about Ijaw in this thread turns into a tribal bashing contest like it's a sin for our existence but things are more clearer thanks to you. Thank you.

I could not agree with you more. There was once upon a time when we intermingled and thought nothing of it. We jointly established well-known economic hubs and city-states. Now, it’s as though we have nothing to do with each other, and we don’t want to accept anyone else’s pain except our own. It’s a fruitless thing that only breeds more enmity, and it has hindered us from focusing on what should have been our real target from the beginning; government.

1 Like

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by pazienza(m): 10:50am On Jan 28, 2021
ChinenyeN:
Sinistami, yeah, the Sabo Era is almost never discussed. However, you may sometimes notice the fallout of it in the way Igbo people talk about the Southeast minorities. Phrases like “they sabotaged us” used to be heard a lot even up to 2008, but from what I can tell, most Igbo people aren’t aware of what the Biafran army was actually doing in that time. It may surprise you just how many Igbo people respond with disbelief or even denial. when I go into some of the details about the Sabo Era. Yet, they just repeat “sabotage” and “betrayal” like a mantra, without knowing that villages in Kalabari, Okrika, Ngwa, Ndoki, Ibibio, etc. were actually clashing with the army. For the most part, the Biafran administration (and people in general) just seemed to keep quite and not discuss the saga after it happened; much like how many of our elders have generally remained quiet about the Biafran war.

It’s no wonder we can’t reconcile these events and heal, because the ethnic tension has never really been openly and honestly discussed beyond the nonstop insults being thrown both ways. Everyone feels victimized and they want to stay victimized. It’s understandable, but very tiring to have to go through the victimized conversations over and over again. But I guess that is what happens when there’s no room given for open and honest conversation.

You are talking nonsense again to appear unbiased and woke!

Sabo war was not specifically targeted at minorities.
It was done all over Igbo land. Heck, Ifeajuna was killed for being a Sabo. Many people found harbouring or aiding Nigerian soldiers in Igbo land were also killed and in many cases their family houses bunt.
Ifeajuna family members became endangered species in Igboland, their family houses were burnt.
The Igbos simply don't cry about sabos killed in their hometowns and the Sabos themselves are so ashamed of themselves to speak up.

There was nothing that happened in minority areas that didn't happen in Igbo areas.
My mum told me of how some unruly Biafran soldiers invaded where they were staying as refugees in another town and forced the man hosting them to give up his goats, when the man refused, he was beaten to pulp and suffered injuries.

If this happened in minority area, it would be exaggerated as Igbos maltreating them and the man would poison the heart of his children against Igbos rather than see it as soldiers indiscipline.

Towns were relocated steadily in Biafra during combats with Nigerian army to reduce civilian casualties.
No Igbo town cried foul when they were asked to vacate town for Biafran soldiers to build ambush for FG forces.
But every case of such relocation in minorities areas, the parents went and told their children stories of how they were forced out of their homes at gun point by Igbo soldiers who wanted to repopulate their towns with Igbos after the war and rename the town.

Igbos like you who go about trying to sound unbiased by misrepresenting facts are dangerous, and are a problem and not a solution.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by HarryDuce(m): 12:26pm On Jan 28, 2021
pazienza:

It was done all over Igbo land. Heck, Ifeajuna was killed for being a Sabo. Many people found harbouring or aiding Nigerian soldiers in Igbo land were also killed and in many cases their family houses bunt.
Ifeajuna family members became endangered species in Igboland, their family houses were burnt.
The Igbos simply don't cry about sabos killed in their hometowns and the Sabos themselves are so ashamed of themselves to speak up.

There was nothing that happened in minority areas that didn't happen in Igbo areas.
My mum told me of how some unruly Biafran soldiers invaded where they were staying as refugees in another town and forced the man hosting them to give up his goats, when the man refused, he was beaten to pulp and suffered injuries.

If this happened in minority area, it would be exaggerated as Igbos maltreating them and the man would poison the heart of his children against Igbos rather than see it as soldiers indiscipline.

Towns were relocated steadily in Biafra during combats with Nigerian army to reduce civilian casualties.
No Igbo town cried foul when they were asked to vacate town for Biafran soldiers to build ambush for FG forces.
But every case of such relocation in minorities areas, the parents went and told their children stories of how they were forced out of their homes at gun point by Igbo soldiers who wanted to repopulate their towns with Igbos after the war and rename the town.

Igbos like you who go about trying to sound unbiased by misrepresenting facts are dangerous, and are a problem and not a solution.
Lol you are castigating someone for being woke while your submission has little to do with reality.

That an Igbo man somewhere in the East was killed for being a "sabo" is not the business of the fisherman in the creeks whose major concern then was to get away from unruly Biafran soldiers causing mayhem in his community.

What were the Igbo towns that were relocated steadily? Riverine towns such as Bakana, we know of, what were the Igbo towns? And they didn't protest? How noble of them.

Most Biafran soldiers were Igbos. It made no difference to the Igbo majority, but it made a lot of difference to the minority tribes. Trying to downplay the atrocities of the Biafran (mostly Igbo soldiers) soldiers as a general problem every one faced, rather than see where others are coming from further reveals your blindness to the concerns of the minority tribes, and then an arrogance only the majority can afford to display.

It's funny how you think the minorities are liars and playing victim, while you're also trying to play victim at the same time.

1 Like

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by pazienza(m): 2:09pm On Jan 28, 2021
HarryDuce

Lol you are castigating someone for being woke while your submission has little to do with reality.

All I submitted were are the reality.

That an Igbo man somewhere in the East was killed for being a "sabo" is not the business of the fisherman in the creeks whose major concern then was to get away from unruly Biafran soldiers causing mayhem in his community

This is not about what is the business of a fishermen and what isn't, no Igbo man gives a damn about your business.
The point of my post is to dispel the notion that whatever perceived sabo war that happened in Minority area was isolated case, when in truth this happened everywhere in Biafra, Igboland inclusive.
When we acknowledge the above fact, then we can all accept that the "they vs us" narrative the minorities created in their mind was only but an illusion born out of innate Igbophobia.

What your people think is immaterial, what matters is that we acknowledge that that sabo campaign cut across all ethnicities in Biafra and not targeted at minorities.

What were the Igbo towns that were relocated steadily? Riverine towns such as Bakana, we know of, what were the Igbo towns? And they didn't protest? How noble of them.

My people in Ogidi were asked to leave the village when it was obvious Onitsha was going to fall, Biafran soldiers laid many mines in the villages that we kept discovering after the war. Abagana people had to be relocated for the Biafran soldiers to set up their ambush.
This was the theme throughout the war. The idea was to protect the civilian population from casualties.

Most Biafran soldiers were Igbos. It made no difference to the Igbo majority, but it made a lot of difference to the minority tribes. Trying to downplay the atrocities of the Biafran (mostly Igbo soldiers) soldiers as a general problem every one faced, rather than see where others are coming from further reveals your blindness to the concerns of the minority tribes, and then an arrogance only the majority can afford to display.

Igbos constituted 2/3 of Eastern region population, and of course the Biafran army was always going to have majority Igbo soldiers. Its simple common sense. Biafran soldiers had minorities soldiers as well. Trying to pin any indiscipline of the Biafran soldiers on Ndiigbo alone is mischievous and would be resisted by any sensible Igbo.
We were all aware of how some of your minority brothers who were in Biafra army tried to use the Biafra army to fight their local enemies in your land, they were using it to abuse and kill each. I have once heard a sincere minority admit to the above point.
You cannot hide behind Biafra and pin your internal strife on Ndiigbo. It will not happen.It was that same internal strife within the minorities where you have sharp division between the pro Biafrans and pro Nigeria that resulted in Saro wiwa killing those Ogoni elders who were pro Biafra by inciting his own faction to murder them.

It's funny how you think the minorities are liars and playing victim, while you're also trying to play victim at the same time.

Of course, the minorities stock in trade has always been to lay false accusations against Ndiigbo.
Lying against Ndiigbo is your main thing, that was why Willink report was set up and all your lies against Ndiigbo then were all shown to all lack any iota of Truth. You didn't start today.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:16pm On Jan 28, 2021
Pazienza, you're so quick to respond that you end up accusing me of something I never said. Not once did I say that minorities were targeted. The targets of the sabo era were communities with known discontent that had clashes with the Biafran army and were likely to clash again. For instance, Ngwa and Ndoki villages experienced the same combing and clashes with Biafran army that minorities faced. So no, it is not that minorities were explicitly targeted (and that was never my statement).

What I said was that they were disproportionately affected. Please read for comprehension next time.

1 Like

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by pazienza(m): 2:23pm On Jan 28, 2021
ChinenyeN:
Pazienza, you're so quick to respond that you end up accusing me of something I never said. Not once did I say that minorities were targeted. The targets of the sabo era were communities with known discontent that had clashes with the Biafran army and were likely to clash again. For instance, Ngwa and Ndoki villages experienced the same combing and clashes with Biafran army that minorities faced. So no, it is not that minorities were explicitly targeted (and that was never my statement).

What I said was that they were disproportionately affected. Please read for comprehension next time.

Sabo campaign is not an Ndoki, Ngwa, or minority thing.
It was a widespread thing.
It happened all over Igboland. No clan was excused.
Some people who had vendetta against each other even started abusing it to eliminate their enemies.
All they need do was accuse you of being Sabo and provide as much dodgy evident as possible. It was war time, emotions were high, people were hurting from relatives lost in the progrom and the war, so there were usually not enough investigation before the accused is killed and his family members targeted and their house burnt.
The above was more common in minority areas and they were usually led by minorities themselves who found themselves in the Biafra army and abused their powers against their own people back home.

It's an aspect of the war Ndiigbo don't talk about much, but that minorities had over time exploited and twisted to justify their own innate Igbophobia.

You should stop patronizing them.

5 Likes

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:29pm On Jan 28, 2021
Guy, pazienza, you are still arguing with me about something that I never said. I will stop my own end of this back and forth with this final, closing statement.

Even up to 2008, the narrative used by everyday Igbo people who were pro-Biafra was about how they were betrayed by minorities (even though many many minorities communities actually stuck with Biafra to the end). Sentiment is generally a good indicator for bias and prejudices. If the "minority sabotaged us" sentiment lasted for that long (over 30+ years post war), what could it have been during the height of the war in which the sentiment was born (and during a period of -- as you said -- heighten emotions)?

Guy, minorities were disproportionately affected. That is my only statement that should be of relevance to you. If you had comprehended that from the start (along with the context I provided in both of my earlier posts), you would have realized that there was no reason to complain to me about anything I said in this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by AndreUweh(m): 12:26am On Jan 29, 2021
As early as August 1967, tge army has began to discover those they termed as saboteurs and it was not based on ethnicity. With the failure of the Midwest crossing, those who sabotaged this liberation force was rounded up.
There were more saboteurs discovered in the Igbo hinterland than the minority areas. Please leave ethnicity out of it.
Fragile Igbo/Ijaw relationship is best seen in area of dominance. The ijaw feel Igbo with their huge size and education will Lord it over them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 29, 2021
ijawcitizen:

What do you mean BOTH PEOPLE BIRTHED BONNY, OPOBO ETC?

He means that IGBOS founded Bonny, Opobo and Okrika.

But paid afonjass dont know this
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 29, 2021
Sinistami:

I don't know I've always assigned a feminine persona to your image in my head ...I don't know if it's because of the name. Anyways guy you're one of the most unbiased Igbos I've seen on this nairaland and your submission was the best I've read in this thread.

This is the first time I'm hearing about the "sabo era" where the Biafran army killed people who they thought of as saboteurs. All what I've heard and read so far was about Adaka Boro and the Ijaws betraying the hinterland Biafra , I haven't really read that something like this ever happened to fuel the anti Igbo sentiments. And if this matter isn't really tabled then I guess the bad blood will continue for a long time.

Anti igbo sentiments started before the sabo era...Adaka boro n SaroWiwa betrayed biafra by taking up arms long before the sabo era and the sabo era was largely towards the end of the war
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jan 29, 2021
ChinenyeN:
Sinistami, yeah, the Sabo Era is almost never discussed. However, you may sometimes notice the fallout of it in the way Igbo people talk about the Southeast minorities. Phrases like “they sabotaged us” used to be heard a lot even up to 2008, but from what I can tell, most Igbo people aren’t aware of what the Biafran army was actually doing in that time. It may surprise you just how many Igbo people respond with disbelief or even denial. when I go into some of the details about the Sabo Era. Yet, they just repeat “sabotage” and “betrayal” like a mantra, without knowing that villages in Kalabari, Okrika, Ngwa, Ndoki, Ibibio, etc. were actually clashing with the army. For the most part, the Biafran administration (and people in general) just seemed to keep quite and not discuss the saga after it happened; much like how many of our elders have generally remained quiet about the Biafran war.

It’s no wonder we can’t reconcile these events and heal, because the ethnic tension has never really been openly and honestly discussed beyond the nonstop insults being thrown both ways. Everyone feels victimized and they want to stay victimized. It’s understandable, but very tiring to have to go through the victimized conversations over and over again. But I guess that is what happens when there’s no room given for open and honest conversation.

Adaka boro n ijaw pple have already picked up arms against biafra before any sabo era.

And yes many pple in the SS sabotaged the biafra effort and they were discovered by biafran army and killed......Naturally there would still be many cases of people killed mistakenly or accused falsely for being sabo.

Stop making it seem as if the biafran army was an IGBO army.
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by WorWorBoy: 5:13pm On Jan 29, 2021
Logan23:

He means that IGBOS founded Bonny, Opobo and Okrika.

But paid afonjass dont know this
Okrika was not found by igbos oga.

4 Likes

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 29, 2021
pazienza:

U are 100% correct.
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jan 29, 2021
HarryDuce:

That an Igbo man somewhere in the East was killed for being a "sabo" is not the business of the fisherman in the creeks whose major concern then was to get away from unruly Biafran soldiers causing mayhem in his community.

This is total falsehood.

Stop posting like an afonjja.

The biafran army was filled with members of every tribe in d old east and whatever crime u accuse them of was committed by all tribes from d east.

Be guided
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 29, 2021
ChinenyeN:

The biafran army is not an igbo army (get this straight pls).

Having done that, The eastern army never holistically attacked any community in the SS.
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jan 29, 2021
ChinenyeN:
Guy, pazienza, you are still arguing with me about something that I never said. I will stop my own end of this back and forth with this final, closing statement.

Even up to 2008, the narrative used by everyday Igbo people who were pro-Biafra was about how they were betrayed by minorities (even though many many minorities communities actually stuck with Biafra to the end). Sentiment is generally a good indicator for bias and prejudices. If the "minority sabotaged us" sentiment lasted for that long (over 30+ years post war), what could it have been during the height of the war in which the sentiment was born (and during a period of -- as you said -- heighten emotions)?

Guy, minorities were disproportionately affected. That is my only statement that should be of relevance to you. If you had comprehended that from the start (along with the context I provided in both of my earlier posts), you would have realized that there was no reason to complain to me about anything I said in this thread.

"" minorities were disproportionately affected ""

Any proof to this?
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 29, 2021
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 29, 2021
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 29, 2021
WorWorBoy:

Meaning that bonny & opobo was founded by igbos..thanks for d info
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by BlackAdam55(m): 9:57am On Jan 30, 2021
Logan23:

Meaning that bonny & opobo was founded by igbos..thanks for d info
Igbos didn't found Bonny, maybe opobo but never Bonny.
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by aribisala0(m): 10:09am On Jan 30, 2021
ChinenyeN:

I could not agree with you more. There was once upon a time when we intermingled and thought nothing of it. We jointly established well-known economic hubs and city-states. Now, it’s as though we have nothing to do with each other, and we don’t want to accept anyone else’s pain except our own. It’s a fruitless thing that only breeds more enmity, and it has hindered us from focusing on what should have been our real target from the beginning; government.
When was this time?
I know there was a time that one group were disproportionately captured an sold as slaves by another. What are these city states that were jointly established and who exactly are the "we". This "we" that you talk about and the attendant sense of "we-ness" is a Child of the circumstances around Biafra.
I don't thinl 19th century Aros had this sense of we-ness that you invoke with nostagia now
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by BlackAdam55(m): 10:10am On Jan 30, 2021
WorWorBoy:
I wonder what logan23 was thinking when he typed that, too many unstable people running loose here.

1 Like

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by aribisala0(m): 10:10am On Jan 30, 2021
Logan23:

This is total falsehood.

Stop posting like an afonjja.

The biafran army was filled with members of every tribe in d old east and whatever crime u accuse them of was committed by all tribes from d east.

Be guided

Sure there were Igbos in the Nigerian Army too

The issue here is of numbers.

Numbers my friend.

It was an Igbo Army and an Igbo enterprise
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by aribisala0(m): 10:14am On Jan 30, 2021
Logan23:

Anti igbo sentiments started before the sabo era...Adaka boro n SaroWiwa betrayed biafra by taking up arms long before the sabo era and the sabo era was largely towards the end of the war
Betrayed?

So Ojukwu betrayed Nigeria by starting Biafra?
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by aribisala0(m): 10:17am On Jan 30, 2021
Sinistami:
Can someone actually give me a detailed piece about what caused the bad blood between the Ijaws and the Igbos despite both being on the short side of things as Nigeria is concerned? I really need to know since both people before the Advent of Nigeria had birthed great city states such as Bonny , Opobo etc.
Ijaws have always sold Igbos as slaves and considered themselves superior historically
Igbos had never organized into a single nation or identity until Nigeria was created . With the creation of Nigeria suddenly many erstwhile "slaves" suddenly became a majority in Eastern Nigeria and took on a dominant and domineering role which caused resentment and hostility

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Ekealterego: 2:25pm On Jan 30, 2021
aribisala0:
Ijaws have always sold Igbos as slaves and considered themselves superior historically
Igbos had never organized into a single nation or identity until Nigeria was created . With the creation of Nigeria suddenly many erstwhile "slaves" suddenly became a majority in Eastern Nigeria and took on a dominant and domineering role which caused resentment and hostility
Ijaw never sold Igbos as slaves. Never! When Captain Burton came to New Kalabar and the coast around the area in 1699, he remarked that the Hickbaus (Igbos), which is the name given to the Igbos, had superior technical and organisational skills (He even took many of their swords back to Liverpool). Just like when the Egbas sold other Yorubas as slaves during the wars in their region, The description of the area Captain Burton described as those selling the other Igbo subgroup were the Aros. The Aros were feared and still feared today.
Later in Bonny, Baikie described the relationship the Igbos had with the Ijaws, and you can clearly see that the Igbos at that time more like look down on them rather than having any sort of fear for them.

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by aribisala0(m): 3:23pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

Ijaw never sold Igbos as slaves. Never! When Captain Burton came to New Kalabar and the coast around the area in 1699, he remarked that the Hickbaus (Igbos), which is the name given to the Igbos, had superior technical and organisational skills (He even took many of their swords back to Liverpool). Just like when the Egbas sold other Yorubas as slaves during the wars in their region, The description of the area Captain Burton described as those selling the other Igbo subgroup were the Aros. The Aros were feared and still feared today.
Later in Bonny, Baikie described the relationship the Igbos had with the Ijaws, and you can clearly see that the Igbos at that time more like look down on them rather than having any sort of fear for them.

Ask Asari Dokubo he will enlighten you

Captain Button ko Colonel Zip ni

And the Aros were Heekbowes?
Guy
everyone one was selling Eeboes, Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios,Aros, Ikwerres EVERYONE

It was the OYEL MONEY of the day

The Ibom People are to the indigenes of Arochukwu like the Fulani are to the Hausa

They rule in Arochukwu till tomorrow
Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by Ekealterego: 5:15pm On Jan 30, 2021
aribisala0:

Ask Asari Dokubo he will enlighten you

Captain Button ko Colonel Zip ni

And the Aros were Heekbowes?
Guy
everyone one was selling Eeboes, Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios,Aros, Ikwerres EVERYONE

It was the OYEL MONEY of the day

The Ibom People are to the indigenes of Arochukwu like the Fulani are to the Hausa

They rule in Arochukwu till tomorrow
I thought I was chatting with a sane person. All the Europeans noted that they were superior out of everyone in the Naija Delta. The only people who the Igbos feared was the Aros. Ijo people did not matter. More evidence here by Baikie and one from Dr. Oldfield in 1834.
You thought these were not documented. Na that Fat charcoal black thief make I believe over documented history.
This document stated clearly how inferior you were (Using that word is actually sad but it is what is. The fact that Igbo people, do not reiterate this out of courtesy does not mean they did not feel this way)

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by aribisala0(m): 5:44pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

I thought I was chatting with a sane person. All the Europeans noted that they were superior out of everyone in the Naija Delta. The only people who the Igbos feared was the Aros. Ijo people did not matter. More evidence here by Baikie and one from Dr. Oldfield in 1834.
You thought these were not documented. Na that Fat charcoal black thief make I believe over documented history.
This document stated clearly how inferior you were (Using that word is actually sad but it is what is. The fact that Igbo people, do not reiterate this out of courtesy does not mean they did not feel this way)
Heekbowes are Tall Since when

1 Like

Re: Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. by aribisala0(m): 5:44pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

Heekbowes are Tall grin grin grin grin

LWKMD

Since when

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Beautiful Girls Keep An Ugly Girl As Their Best Friend? / Why Dont Yorubas Have Naija Pride / Tabital Pulaaku International: Laamido Adamawa Received By Senegalese President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.