Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,771 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion (7951 Views)

Mexico's Carlos Slim Reclaims World's Richest Man Title From Bill Gates / Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim / Carlos Slim: Second World Richest Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by denex: 7:50pm On Jul 03, 2007
The rankings have changed. The explosion of the telecomms market has made the Mexican ICT mogul's total worth to rise to $67billion. About $9billion better off than Bill Gates. Though both men remain stupendously rich, this is merely a matter of classification.

Carlos Slim is of a Lebanese father, and his surname Slim is actually a modification of his fathers real name: Salim. So it's not only in Nigeria that the Lebanese are running the economy, its now the whole world.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Seun(m): 10:02pm On Jul 03, 2007
Mexican Tycoon Overtakes Bill Gates As World's Richest Man

Microsoft founder Bill Gates looks to have lost his title as the world's richest man, toppled from top spot by the Mexican telecoms tycoon Carlos Slim.
http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2117330,00.html

Poor Bill. What is he going to do now? Will he stop giving money to charity in order to regain his position?
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by DisGuy: 10:16pm On Jul 03, 2007
Seun:

Mexican Tycoon Overtakes Bill Gates As World's Richest Man[/b]http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2117330,00.html

Poor Bill. What is he going to do now? Will he stop giving money to charity [b]in order to regain his position?

I wonder if that was his aim in life undecided
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by priestly(m): 10:17am On Jul 04, 2007
u guys dont bother urselfs bout bill goin 2nd place thats how its always been, someone will overtake him and before u know it he has outran the person u guys just relax.bills got a streamless means of income even when hes sleepin hes makin money as long as me and u continue usin the internet,
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by denex: 11:35am On Jul 04, 2007
When Carlos is in a coma, he's making money.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Gettolove(m): 12:08pm On Jul 04, 2007
Only if bill's money has been tourching lives of the poor people. I dont think he should stop giving to the poor because it may not still make him be no 1
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by RichDad1(m): 12:13pm On Jul 04, 2007
Watch out!!!I will soon topple Carlos very soon, grin
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Aproko(f): 7:10pm On Jul 04, 2007
thats good. was starting to get tired of william henry gates being the worlds richest man. it just goes to show that there is hope for other people. only i wonder for how long if warren buffet makes good his promise.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Eyohimself(m): 11:37pm On Jul 05, 2007
After 13 consecutive years,Bill gates is finally overthroned as the World's richest man.He's now second on the Forbe's list.Wow,this goes to prove that we are really in the Telecoms revolution.Share prices in the Telecomms industry soar all over the world not only in Nigeria.This Mexican Telecoms tycoon saw his wealth skyrocket by the end of the second quarter of this year by almost $6.8 billion.Darn!!!That sounds like a fairy tale,aint it?Swooping such huge profits in just 3 months with a continued trend to steep increases.
Anyway,I think he deserves it as he's got the business verves needed to succeeded in an industry as sophisticated and competitive as the communications.

http://www.golivewire.com/forums/peer-nstpst-support-a.html
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by deb(m): 11:55am On Jul 09, 2007
He's been overtakened several times but Bill kept
coming back to emerge the world's richest.

Let see how long this one will stay.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by naijacutee(f): 6:38pm On Jul 10, 2007
What I find intruiging about this is that the world's richest man comes from a country where 53% of the population live in poverty.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by enolase(m): 8:01pm On Jul 10, 2007
I believe the word is "overthrown".

There is no word in English Language like "overthroned".

It is either "overthrown" or "dethroned".
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by easimoni(m): 8:18pm On Jul 10, 2007
naijacutee:

What I find intruiging about this is that the world's richest man comes from a country where 53% of the population live in poverty.

That's life. You need to drum some sense into some playa haters bashing Dangote for his Oprah comments. Dangote is our Slim, our level of poverty compared to the west not withstanding.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Caradona(f): 12:04am On Jul 11, 2007
If I have sex with him how much would I get or worth grin
I hope hes not a stingy man undecided
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by 9ja4eva: 12:05am On Jul 11, 2007
Money can cause a lot oh.

Good news for dem.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by omoge(f): 12:05am On Jul 11, 2007
I read about him some months ago when the news of his toppling Bill Gate was carried. He was the second by then. I copied his quote in that article. Hear him:  undecided

"Our concept is more to accomplish and solve things, rather than giving that is, not going around like Santa Claus,""Poverty isn't solved with donations." Carlos Slim (World's 2nd Richest Man)
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by nazzyon(m): 1:16am On Jul 11, 2007
The reasons why he switched position is because he still works aside from all his investment and lately is telecom companies and others are returning lots lately.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by GNature(m): 2:40am On Jul 11, 2007
I heared the guy's parents are lebanese. Many of these lebanese folks have made names for themselves in business.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by texazzpete(m): 9:52am On Jul 11, 2007
Carlos Slim is the product of a hopelessly corrupt and inept government that fosters monopoly.
Gates however has given away billions of his wealth to charity. currently he is the main sponsor for the effort to find a cure for the new almost incurable strain of tuberculosis that's making the world scared now.

As steve jobs said when he was asked why Bill Gates has been giving away money "Bill doesn't want to be the richest guy in the cemetary"

And that, to me, is the best answer for freaks that keep amassing money and don't make time out to enjoy themselves.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by mimiko(f): 10:42am On Jul 11, 2007
i dont think Bill ll feel bad about this cos what can u buy with 67billion dollars that u cannot buy with 10 20 30 or, i beg e go betta! this politicians should be ashamed of themselves with all the money they get to steal a business man keeps emerging as the richest.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Seun(m): 10:47am On Jul 11, 2007
I'm 100% sure that Bill Gates will feel bad about this. It is not about the money, it's about the position.
What has happened to Bill Gates is like being demoted from first position to second position in school.
Even if you score all As, the fact that someone scored higher than you will still bother you. It's about pride.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Yes4u(m): 12:14pm On Jul 11, 2007
I don't think Bill Gate will feel bad about the position because if he has not been donating to the welfare of the poor, he will have been above slim.

I believe giving to the poor is far far better than amassing wealth just for the sake of being the richest man in the world. If you don't use your wealth for the benefit of others when such a person dies, that is the end of his wealth/name. But you will only be remembered when you affect people's lives.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Seun(m): 1:07pm On Jul 11, 2007
you will only be remembered when you affect people's lives.
You can't become the richest man in the world without affecting people's lives, positively or negatively!

I don't think Bill Gate will feel bad about the position
I'm sure that by now he is used to being introduced as "the richest man in the World". He's lost that now.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by vikiviko(m): 4:58pm On Jul 11, 2007
I just heard that the new change in guard as the World's richest man.

To say the truth the criteria for chosing the richest man in the world is not only faulty but currupt, what is the cry about Dangote saying he is richer than Oprah and worth 8 billion us dollars.

If Dangote is worth that much, i think the EFCC has a lot of work to do.
Because a man who acquired prized investments from the Federal governments of Nigeria on a give away price courtesy obj should not be counted among the richest.
He should tell us how he made his monies.
Also which level is Adenuga Jr of Glo ranked
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Seun(m): 5:00pm On Jul 11, 2007
Stock market wealth is paper wealth. Carlos Slim cannot wake up one day and sell all his stock for $67 billion.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by ebos(m): 7:36pm On Jul 11, 2007
Carlos Slim was able to overtake Bill Gate because Bill has shared percentages of his income to charitable homes, and less than 70% of his income comes to him presently.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by 3dhunter(m): 8:05pm On Jul 11, 2007
@ Caradona

don't let his wife catch you
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Seun(m): 9:16pm On Jul 11, 2007
Carlos Slim was able to overtake Bill Gate because Bill has shared percentages of his income to charitable homes, and less than 70% of his income comes to him presently.
Bill gates' wealth is not based on income. It's based on the current market value of the Microsoft shares he owns.If the share price of Microsoft drops to zero tommorrow, Bill Gate's wealth will evaporate. Because it is not based on money he has in his bank account, it is based on the current market value of his shares.

So It's not as if he has billions of dollars in his bank account somewhere. Most shares are traded at a very high multiple of revenue. Bill Gates and Carlos Slim worth so much primarily because people are rushing to buy shares of their companies. Their net worth is not based on income. They can't actually produce the money.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Eyohimself(m): 7:29pm On Jul 13, 2007
@enolase ,
Thanks for the correction. I'm not that good with spellings. All the same, the correction's appreciated.
I can now tell the difference between those words.
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by dashkk(m): 7:53pm On Jul 13, 2007
the reason for life is how many people u have affect with ur money not how much u have.bill gate is the richest man as am concern because he cares for the poor
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by honeric01(m): 3:11am On Jul 17, 2007
when bill gates start letting people use microsoft for free for some period, then i can feel the inpact of his money, anything different from that, then he is not different from slim in my own opinion, !
Re: Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion by Prince22(m): 3:15am On Jul 17, 2007
why richest? How many people, Underprivileged can boast of their rich.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sokoto State Old Market On Fire / Oil Prices Jump On U.s-china Trade Hopes, Supply Cuts / Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.