Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,936 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional (909 Views)

Work Opportunities / This Is The Easiest Way To Assess Global Work Opportunities / Workerwoka Work Opportunities! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by AbdulAkpan: 4:33am On Jan 27, 2021
A lot of professionals are still unaware of how much damage a funny email address can cost. Email addresses are supposed to be professional in nature. For instance, nina21@gmail.com does not raise any red flags for potential employers.

However, an email address that says sexylily@gmail.com could make potential employers to reject a job applicant. It is quite unfortunate but it happens all the time. Of course, many of us know that it would be better to look beyond what a person's email address is saying and focus on work skills.

But, the truth is that, a lot of times, people get judged using factors that they may not consider to be important. This is where the email address comes in. Instead of falling into such traps, it is better to make use of a professional email address.

As a jobseeker, extra care should be taken when sending out job applications because the job market is currently stiff and employers have tough decisions to make and will gladly disqualify anyone with the slightest unwanted feature.

If your email address has a word that you think is unfit for the professional workplace, then, please, create a new one using Gmail It is free and can be synchronized with other apps. Gmail even offers you a photo display icon, where your professional photo can be updated, so, everyone who contacts you via email can see what you look like - this is great for building your personal brand.

Even if you are not a jobseeker, you shouldn't have certain words within your email address. It can cost you work opportunities and it can also project you as an unserious professional.

You can use your name or initials in your email address, instead of words like booty, beast, sexy, hot, pussy, drunk, slut, satan, ripper, foxy, boner, god, hottie, etc. If your name is a popular one and it has already been taken, you can add numbers to your first name or initials.

Please, apply the same to your social media platforms, except the account you are creating is only meant as an anonymous page (that is not tied to your real name). For every Google search done on your name by anyone, anywhere in the world, everything associated to your name will show on those pages. What would you like people to see? Remember, the internet never forgets!

Source - Lingo Africa

Our latest free to read article - https://lingoafrica.com/passion-in-early-career-building-is-not-compulsory/
Re: You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by Ketamine9000mg(m): 8:05am On Jan 27, 2021
Mine is full of all these.
I love the originals(TV series) and my name is God'swill.

My email looks like Timothygodswilldeoriginal@gmail.com.

I have used this email like forever.
Re: You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by Mide3367: 8:34am On Jan 27, 2021
Ketamine9000mg:
Mine is full of all these.
I love the originals(TV series) and my name is God'swill.

My email looks like Timothygodswilldeoriginal@gmail.com.

I have used this email like forever.
lol.... See email grin as he long like my divk
Re: You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by AbdulAkpan: 8:34am On Jan 27, 2021
Look closely at the words in the post, Godswill. There's nothing wrong with your email address.

Cheers.
Re: You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by AbdulAkpan: 11:43am On Jan 27, 2021
smiley
Re: You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by meobizy(f): 2:58pm On Jan 27, 2021
A serious employer should create one for me then. I worked and schooled in places where the IT team ensured to create signature addresses for all employees/students. They knew a work/school life was different from a personal one. Rejecting someone based on his/her email address shows how undetermined the organization is to begin with.

4 Likes

Re: You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by AbdulAkpan: 3:23pm On Jan 27, 2021
meobizy:
A serious employer should create one for me then. I worked and schooled in places where the IT team ensured to create signature addresses for all employees/students. They knew a work/school life was different from a personal one. Rejecting someone based on his/her email address shows how undetermined the organization is to begin with.

Just like I stated in my original post, this is not supposed to be, but, it happens all the time. Speaking plenty English won't change that fact. It is best to stay safe and have email addresses that are devoid of such words listed above.
Re: You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by AbdulAkpan: 8:51pm On Jan 27, 2021
grin
Re: You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by AbdulAkpan: 6:47am On Jan 28, 2021
lipsrsealed
Re: You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by dhope: 7:27am On Jan 28, 2021
meobizy:
Would you blame nigerian employers? When there's scarcity of things, unimaginable things and crazy conditions shall become popular. Imagine a country where there are lot of job opportunities, who will be telling you ur email or CV should take one format after the relevant information about you is presented there? Even all these job consultancy firms will fold up as they themselves are even not helping the situation of job seekers in Nigeria but constituting roadblock. May God restore Nigeria lost glory. The advice of OP is still relevant o considering there are many applications always before employers to review for every single job position.

1 Like

Re: You Will Lose Work Opportunities If Your Email Address Is Unprofessional by AbdulAkpan: 12:19pm On Feb 01, 2021

(1) (Reply)

Freelancers Needed / MTN Graduate Trainee 2021 / Inquiry Of The Best Loan Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.