Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor (8692 Views)

World Reacted As Research Declared Igbos The Most Brilliant Black African Race / Tinubu Under Pressure To Withdraw From Presidential Race- The Guardian / Presidential Race: The Battleground States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by ablejesus26(m): 2:11pm On Jan 27, 2021
Tyrant28:
Another one from ipob bereau head of operations CHANDA CHISALA grin

I dont know about any other Igbo state but my state has consecutively retained the 1st position of the most educated state in Nigeria since the year 2017 as it stands now the literacy level in my state is rated at 96.43%

its very hard not to find a graduate every family of my State

you would be surprised that only one state does not prides itself into the top ten list in the igbo nation

but not withstanding i do not belief intelligence is relegative to any tribe sect or group i would rather attest it to a personal human mental development

and wat d fuuvvck do you even mean by mentioning ipob a group dats been proscribed in Ala Igbo by the Se Governors and Ohaneze already ?

You masturbate too much on Ipob its not very good for your health make you no go get low sperm count tomorrow

shun bigotry

1 Like

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by aribisala0(m): 2:11pm On Jan 27, 2021
edoairways:
These are verifiable fact not made up stories by junk journalist or bloggers.
This is all from a blogger

1 Like

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by SW1st: 2:13pm On Jan 27, 2021
The same report was debunked a long time ago.

https://www.nairaland.com/3745332/no-us-study-ever-said

Several Nigerian websites, including the online version of the traditional New Telegraph newspaper, quoted a putative ‘US study’ to have averred that Igbos are the “most brilliant black Africa [sic] race.” As you would expect, this has animated a frenzied debate in Nigerian cyberspace. But let’s get the facts straight. The article from where the notion of Igbo IQ superiority is extrapolated isn’t a study, nor is it American. It is a reflective essay by a Zambian man called Chanda Chisala. The essay, titled “The IQ Gap Is No Longer a Black and White Issue,” was first published on June 25, 2015 in “The Unz Review: An Alternative Media Selection,” an American-based website that bills itself as “A Collection of Interesting, Important, and Controversial Perspectives Largely Excluded from the American Mainstream Media.”

“The Unz Review: An Alternative Media Selection” isn’t an academic journal, nor are essays published in it considered scholarly. Although the essay that caused Nigerian websites to claim that Igbos have been crowned as the most intellectually endowed African race is a synthesis of scholarly and popular articles, it is itself not a systematic scholarly study. It is merely one writer’s perspective. The author of the essay, Chanda Chisala, isn’t an American; he is a Zambian born in the Zambian town of Chingola. He studied Biochemistry at the University of Zambia and graduated in 1997. He is known in Zambia as an intrepid Internet entrepreneur who founded Zambia Online, Zambia’s leading Internet portal. He later relocated to the United States where he has held fellowships at Stanford University, the Hoover Institution, and the National Endowment for Democracy. So headlines attributing Igbos’ unparalleled brilliance to a “US academic study” are factually inaccurate. In the essay, Chisala merely sought to disprove the notion that whites are innately more intelligent than blacks. As most people know, IQ tests in the US consistently show native-born American blacks underperforming their white counterparts, leading some to conclude that racial difference, not income or environment; is the most important causative factor for white intellectual superiority and black intellectual inferiority in IQ tests. Over the last few years, with the increasing migration of black people to the United States from the Caribbean Islands and Africa, many settled certainties about racial disparities in IQ tests are being exploded. African immigrants in the US are high academic achievers. In some cases, they outperform white Americans. For instance, Nigerians are the single most educated demographic group in the United States, although it must be admitted that Nigerians in the United States are both too numerically insignificant (we are a mere 228,000) and too self-selected to be representative of the general population at home. Before Africans began migrating to the United States in fairly large numbers since the 1970s, Caribbean immigrants had excelled, and still excel, in academic pursuits in ways that disrupt notions of racial hierarchy in cognitive endowment. So Chisala’s basic argument is that if race is the only explanatory framework invoked to account for the IQ gap between white Americans and native-born American blacks, then native-born American blacks should be smarter than recent African and Caribbean immigrants since native-born American blacks have more white genes in them than both Caribbean and African immigrants. He also dismissed a controversial 2009 Harvard IQ study that found black African immigrants in the United States to have an average IQ of 89. “They lump together black Africans into one homogenous group when there are different kinds of black Africans, including a good number coming in as refugees from highly troubled countries, while other nationalities consist of the most educated ethnicities in America. [T]he different groups of African immigrants can have very large background differences that reflect in cognitive gaps among them that are even higher than the gap between American blacks and whites…In other words, the mean IQ of African immigrants may be as unrepresentative of black Igbo immigrants as it is of white South African immigrants. It’s a meaningless mean,” he said. The putative average IQ of 89 among African immigrants (it is 83 among black Caribbean immigrants) is lower than the average IQ of native-born American blacks, yet African and Caribbean immigrants, on average, outperform American blacks in academic pursuits and rival, in some cases outrival, whites. Chisala argues, therefore, that the IQ tests aren’t representative of all Africans. “As the UK data below shows, it is very unlikely that children of immigrants from the Igbo or Yoruba groups of Nigeria or the Ashanti group of Ghana, for example, have an average IQ below the white mean IQ,” he wrote. The data he presented to make his case uses Igbo academic achievement in the US and the UK, and that was the basis for the notion that a “US academic study” has pronounced Igbos as the most “brilliant African race.” The article “resurrected” from last year because an Augusta Uwamanzu-Nna, a Nigerian-American high school graduate born of Igbo parents, was recently accepted by all eight Ivy League schools in the United States. Last year, Harold Ekeh, another Nigerian-American born of Igbo parents, was also accepted by all Ivy League schools. However, although Nigerian websites, including the New Telegraph, claim that these brilliant young Nigerian-Americans “have broken a record of being accepted by eight Ivy League schools,” it is actually not true. Every year, a few smart teenagers get accepted to all eight Ivy League schools. In 2014, for instance, a Ghanaian-American teenager by the name of Kwasi Enin was accepted in all 8 Ivy League schools. In 2015, a high school student by the name of Ronald Nelson was accepted by all the Ivy League schools, but he rejected every single one of them and instead went to a state school. This is in no way intended to diminish the praiseworthy achievements of the two brilliant Nigerian Americans. Nor do I want to be understood as denying that Igbos, on average, have a higher intellectual drive than the rest of us. (In my high school in Nigeria we often jokingly questioned the Igboness of any Igbo person who wasn’t among the top three in his class). Nevertheless, no systematic scholarly study anywhere, and certainly not in the US, has proved that Igbos are the most brilliant people in Africa. That study may yet come, but Chanda Chisala’s opinion article is not it.

3 Likes

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by aribisala0(m): 2:15pm On Jan 27, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:

angry

Calm down. You will burst a vein at this rate. I gave you an assignment, go and read the whole damn work and find for your self the population size used.

And no one asked you to conclude anything. You dont have the mental capacity to do any meaningful thing apart from bigotry. Researchers has done their work and so far no one has challenged it. But you can try anyway.

Chanda Chisala is the researcher?

Stop telling lies

No researcher anywhere has said what you are claiming here

That is the opinion and interpretation of You and Chanda IPOB

Any dunce can copy statistics and then put their own interpretation on what they mean

It is a confused write up jumping from IQ in US to GCSE in UK

It is not research
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by Pecuman: 2:22pm On Jan 27, 2021
Abeg, Igbo people we should grow up and stop doing this. No amount of proof not backed up by force will ever get a Nigerian tribe to accept that other tribes are not it's inferior. If you like bring all the papers Fulani and Bini will still say Igbo are slaves until the day that Igbo are free of or in control of NG.

Also, this is a tactic of white racists. We shouldn't be copying oppressors.
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by aribisala0(m): 2:23pm On Jan 27, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:

grin

That Igbos are the most most brilliant black race in the whole world. Got it?
Not the most brilliant people in the world?

Did they not make that announcement as well?

If you can r reason at all it would strike you that to arrive at that conclusion they necessarily MUST conduct a very significant part of their research in the place where MOST Igbos/Black people are found. They did not produce any data from Africa at all did they?

It is clear you are very badly educated and have zero understanding of research methodology

You do not pronounce with authority on lions from research conducted on lions that were born and raised in a zoo.
At any rate what we see on this thread is not research but a blog claiming to be based on "research"
Do the primary researchers make the pronouncement you are claiming?

3 Likes

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by gwafaeziokwu: 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2021
aribisala0:

This thread is titled
from THE US ACADEMIC REPORT

Is that true?

The reality is you copied a mish mash of crap from a blog and are trying to pass it off as a US ACADEMIC REPORT

If indeed you ever went to university and did any research project you can see this for the bullshit that it is

Normally I should ignore threads like this but one has to heed the book of Proverbs 26.5

Sweet cries. Look for the authors where ever they are and wail in peace.

Igbos don't have time for such obvious research but if someone from far away land says it as he saw it. Then whom am I. cool

3 Likes

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by ablejesus26(m): 2:28pm On Jan 27, 2021
Sammy07:

From the record, I could deduct that Igbos were reducing

From 100 (2009) % to 80% (2010) to 76% (2011)

What's the assurance that it hasn't reduced

Check,Yoruba own, its increasing from 35% (2009) to 75%(2011)

Hmm well it would appear that both the Igbo and Yoruba tribe do well interms of IQ formal and informal intelligence although as of Last year the Igbo nation flawed the top ten list of most educated state in Nigeria with 4 of its state on the top ten the Yoruba had 3state in representation

I type with all profound rapturic , ectatism dat my state continues to submerge as the embossed most educated state in Nigeria since 2016 to 2020 with a current literacy rate of 96.43%

some say the secret is in the somewhat enigmatic indigenous soup

them say the soup they give sense

o dikwa possible?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by gwafaeziokwu: 2:30pm On Jan 27, 2021
aribisala0:
Not the most brilliant people in the world?

Did they not make that announcement as well?

If you can r reason at all it would strike you that to arrive at that conclusion they necessarily MUST conduct a very significant part of their research in the place where MOST Igbos/Black people are found. They did not produce any data from Africa at all did they?

It is clear you are very badly educated and have zero understanding of research methodology

You do not pronounce with authority on lions from research conducted on lions that were born and raised in a zoo.
At any rate what we see on this thread is not research but a blog claiming to be based on "research"
Do the primary researchers make the pronouncement you are claiming?

We have the data in Africa already and it correspond to the write up. Tell me again the top performers in the unity school exams in Nigeria from inception of the exam till date.

Guy it got a point that they have to introduce ridiculous cut off marks based on qouta system so other kids form other ethnicity can breath. grin

4 Likes

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by Tranquillity360: 2:31pm On Jan 27, 2021
ok

2 Likes

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by aribisala0(m): 2:36pm On Jan 27, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:

We have the data in Africa already and it correspond to the write up. Tell me again the top performers in the unity school exams in Nigeria from inception of the exam till date.

Guy it got a point that they have to introduce ridiculous cut off marks based on qouta system so other kids form other ethnicity can breath. grin

Cut off for unity school is a measure of brilliance?

I don't think so .

Exams that are rigged by miracle teachers ?

You tell us what happened when Goodluck Jonathan conducted PRESSID scholarship exams ?

1 Like

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by ablejesus26(m): 2:36pm On Jan 27, 2021
aribisala0:

Chanda Chisala is the researcher?

Stop telling lies

No researcher anywhere has said what you are claiming here

That is the opinion and interpretation of You and Chanda IPOB

Any dunce can copy statistics and then put their own interpretation on what they mean

It is a confused write up jumping from IQ in US to GCSE in UK

It is not research

Well in as much as intelligence can not be relegated to tribe or sect or group

its no secret that the igbos are intelligent

especially my state some igbos they even use am yabb us sey we no fit learn work and we no dey like to farm se na only to carry book upandan we sabi

but i dey always tell them se watin matter na productivity and as a state we dey amongst the top ten most productive too
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by SW1st: 2:43pm On Jan 27, 2021
I blame those dunces on Twitter that don't make research before posting and calming what's not. grin

3 Likes

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by aribisala0(m): 2:58pm On Jan 27, 2021
ablejesus26:

Well in as much as intelligence can not be relegated to tribe or sect or group

its no secret that the igbos are intelligent

especially my state some igbos they even use am yabb us sey we no fit learn work and we no dey like to farm se na only to carry book upandan we sabi

but i dey always tell them se watin matter na productivity and as a state we dey amongst the top ten most productive too

1.All people are intelligent
2. There are different kinds of intelligence
3. Ibos are not more intelligent than Hausa or any other group
4. There is extensive literature on the problem of measuring intelligence across groups which I don't have time for here. Every measuring tool will always be biassed but performance in exams is a poor measure of intelligence and a better measure of hardwork/learning
5. The fact that a person is illiterate does not diminish their intelligence

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by Rugaria: 3:00pm On Jan 27, 2021
Op just want to distribute HBP for free this afternoon..

1 Like

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by ablejesus26(m): 3:05pm On Jan 27, 2021
aribisala0:

1.All people are intelligent
2. There are different kinds of intelligence
3. Ibos are not more intelligent than Hausa or any other group

Very correct sir there cannever be any prove to subjugate intelligence to tribe or section its rather a human development

but dont blame me if i want to praise my people small sha its allowed to carry first for most educated state ranking 4times straight up no be maimai

e just be like when your pikin dey carry first for class back to back

e get as e go dey do you for body abi i lie ?
but dat wan no mean sey others too know sabi sha

I salute you for you words of wisdom

2 Likes

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by aribisala0(m): 3:11pm On Jan 27, 2021
ablejesus26:

Very correct sir there cannever be any prove to subjugate intelligence to tribe or section its rather a human development

but dont blame me if i want to praise my people small sha its allowed to carry first for most educated state ranking 4times straight up no be maimai

e just be like when your pikin dey carry first for class back to back

e get as e go dey do you for body abi i lie ?
but dat wan no mean sey others too know sabi sha

I salute you for you words of wisdom
As long as you don't get carried away or start to produce fictional claims like most educated state.

What does that mean?

THat you have more lawyers or doctors or Engineers in the Oil companies or that you dominate the banking and finance or insurance industries or that you dominate IT? Or have more Nobel Laureates?
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by Factshunter: 3:13pm On Jan 27, 2021
The research is false as confirmed by the acclaimed researcher.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by Factshunter: 3:17pm On Jan 27, 2021
Sammy07:

From the record, I could deduct that Igbos were reducing

From 100 (2009) % to 80% (2010) to 76% (2011)

What's the assurance that it hasn't reduced

Check,Yoruba own, it's increasing from 35% (2009) to 75%(2011)

And if we are to go by the OP logic or yours here is even, the recent table to start with.

People should stop copy-and-paste and do research, do their findings before they come out in the pub making claims they can not back or proved.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:17pm On Jan 27, 2021
HeadShot:
While Igbo and Yoruba are draggier the most brilliant black race...

Fulani herdsmen are busy building their empire on their land

Ironic!!!
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by aribisala0(m): 3:35pm On Jan 27, 2021
Factshunter:

And if we are to go by the OP logic or yours here is even, the recent table to start with.

People should stop copy-and-paste and do research, do their findings before they come out in the pub making claims they can not back or proved.

The simple truth is that we cannot draw any meaningful conclusions about intelligence from this or the OP's data

It is a measure of the academic performance of a tiny fraction of the population in a foreign nation and measures academic attainment which is influenced by dozens of factors which are mainly social.
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by laiperi: 3:39pm On Jan 27, 2021
Immediately I saw that it is about genes and intelligence, I dismissed it.

As soon as I saw the position of the Indians and Pakistani, I laughed.

When I saw Igbo v. Yoruba, I can understand.

Those who pioneered genetic test all through history now find themselves at the bottom of the ladder when their own intelligence test start working against them and Asians that were not part of their culture start beating them by cramming their own game to get into their most prestigious colleges.

Realizing they are losing, they ditch qualifications, freedom, democracy, gold standard and become INSURRECTIONISTS to overthrow what they had cherished!

Be careful when you perpetrate intelligence measures as a super race when Empirical Evidence demonstrate that you are losers.
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by Factshunter: 3:41pm On Jan 27, 2021
aribisala0:

The simple truth is that we cannot draw any meaningful conclusions about intelligence from this or the OP's data

It is a measure of the academic performance of a tiny fraction of the population in a foreign nation and measures academic attainment which is influenced by dozens of factors which are mainly ocial.

Yeah! My point exactly.

It's quite unfortunate that we live in a country where reasoning and logic is not often applied.
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by ablejesus26(m): 3:47pm On Jan 27, 2021
aribisala0:
As long as you don't get carried away or start to produce fictional claims like most educated state.

What does that mean?

THat you have more lawyers or doctors or Engineers in the Oil companies or that you dominate the banking and finance or insurance industries or that you dominate IT? Or have more Nobel Laureates?

Ok but you can also Google it just type most educated state in Nigeria the resumee for selection is also imputed there

not withstanding like I said do not mind my praise singing intelligence is not subjective to any sect like you said and i concur
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by LegendHero(m): 3:49pm On Jan 27, 2021
I think I’ve trashed this rubbish on another thread and even the Igbos couldn’t but keep shut that day when I showed them that Chisala just used Lambeth for her study and I showed the scores for other schools that the Yorubas trump all even with a more bigger number.

Let me try to look for the thread if I can

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by aribisala0(m): 3:52pm On Jan 27, 2021
ablejesus26:

Ok but you can also Google it just type most educated state in Nigeria the resumee for selection is also imputed there

not withstanding like I said do not mind my praise singing intelligence is not subjective to any sect like you said and i concur

So you are educated?

And the way to address most educated state in Nigeria is Google?

Where did Google get its info or data from?

Does Google even have an opinion on the issue?

Please talk sensibly

Is Educated Intelligence?

You tell us which state has the most lawyers, doctors engineers

or should I also ask gooogle
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by LegendHero(m): 3:54pm On Jan 27, 2021
This is one of such post:

You are a dunce. You are using the report that Chanda Chisalas wrote where she used GCSE performance for Model School in Lambeth as her case study.

That is the report that your first link posted with to give the BS. You can clearly see that the first link is an Ibo website.

Then you rush to Nairaland to say rum. There are several reports of GCSE that come out each year and it will be nonsensical to base report on just few case study.

—For example, look at the first chart GCSE report below where the Igbos were on top. When you check the cohort size of the Igbos which is just 187 compared to the Yoruba cohort size of 929, you will understand that the mean will not be balanced in that type of scenario.

A 929 is a score more representative and normally the more the cohort size in this context, the lesser the mean will be. Statistics 101.

—Check KS4 scores for another year below, you see Yoruba leading here even with Cohort size of 984. That means Legendhero can also write a report based on this and shout Yorubas is the most intelligent ethnic group in the UK like the BS the from the first link of the Igbo website you shared.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by LegendHero(m): 3:55pm On Jan 27, 2021
LegendHero:

Let's even judge by generic IELTS Score they published for the overall mean band scores for Test takers according to first language background and the Yorubas were among the first top 10 in the world. The best in Africa!

Below is the chart, do you see where the Ibos stand in the chart? Not that IELTS (Speaking, Reading, Listening, and Writing) always proves that the ethnic group with the highest have the most knowledge based on the year in review, but I am just letting you know the error in generalizing which is an example of the BS link you gave above.

If it had been the Igbos at the top, then you would have seen someone run online and shout "Igbos are the most intelligent black race, they lead in IELTS overall band scores in the world" and bla bla bla.

Source: https://www.ielts.org/en-us/research/test-taker-performance

Also drilling further to TOEFL scores on ETS website, you will see that the Yorubas still lead when you check the TOEFL mean scores, which give credibility to the IELTS result above too.

https://www.ets.org/s/toefl/pdf/94227_unlweb.pdf

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by ablejesus26(m): 4:00pm On Jan 27, 2021
aribisala0:

So you are educated?

And the way to address most educated state in Nigeria is Google?

Where did Google get its info or data from?

Does Google even have an opinion on the issue?

Please talk sensibly

Is Educated Intelligence?

You tell us which state has the most lawyers, doctors engineers

or should I also ask gooogle

Do you want to disparage or play down the fact that there are evaluations and assessment on the litaracy level in the country or dont you know how to site a credible source if you see one do your search na
Re: The Most Brilliant Black African Race – The US Academic Repor by aribisala0(m): 4:12pm On Jan 27, 2021
ablejesus26:

Do you want to disparage or play down the fact that there are evaluations and assessment on the litaracy level in the country or dont you know how to site a credible source if you see one do your search na
Literacy is the same as educated?
Is this literacy in English or something else

Education is supposed to enhance reasoning but you seem to have been left behind

You cannot even spell literacy

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Investment In Nigeria Rises By 75% In Q1, 2021 / Sylva: No Petrol Price Increase In June / Buhari Only Called For Free Fair Elections, Not Bloodshed – Nnamani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.