Stats: 3,147,956 members, 7,799,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This (51741 Views)

Please Advise: What Should Be My Reply To My Boss / My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Klass99(f): 10:37pm On Oct 16, 2021
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by McBishop2020: 10:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:

Maybe, I would have overlooked it if he was beyond excellent in other parts[b], but[/b] he'll definitely have to undergo training concerning that.

That guy and his wahala sef cheesy grin

I think you need the training the more.

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by 2braithe: 10:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:
I hate when people use 'Am' instead of 'I'm' and I believe it, in a way, says a lot about the person's English literacy abilities. It's also like how some mistake usages of 'their' and 'there' or 'where' and 'were'.

I know something like an IELTS exam would not condone this error so I totally understand why your boss did what he did and commend him for it.

To all those shouting 'your boss is wicked', you are allowed to make this same mistake on a standard assessment examination for a high paying job.

Mistake the uses...

All of us go turn grammar nazi on this thread grin

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Skidee: 10:39pm On Oct 16, 2021
harmargedon:
the Americans use Am, British use I'm. We speak British English, so it's wrong to use Am.

Unfortunately, in Nigeria we use both British and American standards.

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by goslowgoslow(m): 10:43pm On Oct 16, 2021
TruthHurts1:
Elon Musk recently used "AM" instead of "I'M" or "I AM" in a tweet and the world didn't come to an end. All the same I can see where your boss is coming from. Using "AM" in a tweet is not the same as using it in an official correspondence.
Africans with colonial sense! English is not our language. Why not correct the guy? Nonsense!

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by iLegendd(m): 10:44pm On Oct 16, 2021
Your boss is wise for dropping them. No matter how many times you correct these group of people, they never change.

It's just like a woman who cheats. The moment she cheats on her husband 3 times, she can NEVER change.

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by pocohantas(f): 10:45pm On Oct 16, 2021
iLegendd:
Your boss is wise for dropping them. No matter how many times you correct these group of people, they never change.

It's just like a woman who cheats. The moment she cheats on her husband 3 times, she can NEVER change

Lmao! Stop it!
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by davidtemi(m): 10:50pm On Oct 16, 2021
Is the intern space still available?

I am
very hard working and also a fast learner
u are correcting somebody and u sef dey make mistake upon ur corrections. Oya it is hardworking and not hard working.

No space for u in our coy bro
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by house10s: 10:51pm On Oct 16, 2021
k
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by LZAA: 10:53pm On Oct 16, 2021
TruthHurts1:
Elon Musk recently used "AM" instead of "I'M" or "I AM" in a tweet and the world didn't come to an end. All the same I can see where your boss is coming from. Using "AM" in a tweet is not the same as using it in an official correspondence.
Nigerians and their love for anyone with money grin
Elon musk used it in a tweet
The so called intern used it in a job application
Syntax is very important in work environments and it's crucial to be formal

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by midehill(m): 10:56pm On Oct 16, 2021
pocohantas:
Hello Nairalanders, I will like the house to judge this matter...

Just say you are crushing on the guy... Pocohantas... Confess ooo
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by od501: 10:59pm On Oct 16, 2021
pocohantas:

No offence, but your boss na mumu. He is the reason why a country lik nigeria produces nothing and exports everything. He is the reason why we still suck western cock wishing to find salvation.

China and Russia are the two powerful countries today after the US stoll they can't speak or write the simplest word in English language. Shame on him!
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 16, 2021
pocohantas:

Lmao! Stop it!

Since January your boss didn't find out about this post or he doesn't know about nairaland? He would have sacked you. Am Surprised.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Styluss: 11:02pm On Oct 16, 2021
pocohantas:

I know someone has to be dropped, but the guy seems bright and is humble.

Am not going to collect your CV.

My boss said the second he spotted it, he stopped reading the essay. I took my time to finish the essay though, the guy is quite bright.

Recent ke? He has been on it. cheesy
you know if I'm to be your boss... You would be queried for this!!! Somethings compromise is necessary in life. And we are bond to make mistakes. You boss did wrong!!! He's been judgmental without fair hearing. It's like denying someone a job because of one's religion or tribe. I denied him based on his sentiments for I'm. Even Elon musk, Ronaldo and the likes made grammatical blunders steadily and they are top of their games. It's too light a mistake for such a brutal reward

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 16, 2021
How many times will the post hit the front page?
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by bluefilm: 11:06pm On Oct 16, 2021
pocohantas:

You are so lucky I ain't your boss.

If not, you will have to explain to my why you're making such a case for the fella.

That "Am" shit_ irritates me more than anything else I can ever imagine.

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Elsueno: 11:06pm On Oct 16, 2021
I did that purposely during my thesis defense & they did not even notice.

Am here to grin grin . U carry English for head even more than d people who invented it. Nigerians and obersabi

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by kenny2pj(m): 11:11pm On Oct 16, 2021
You can't insult a man based on his discretionary decision. When you get to that position, you're allowed to act accordingly.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Lexusgs430: 11:13pm On Oct 16, 2021
izzou:
Too bad. He shouldn't have dropped him though.

But then, someone had to be dropped.

Meanwhile, can I drop my CV?

Am hardworking sad

Am sure you would not be employed.......... tongue
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by naturefellow(m): 11:14pm On Oct 16, 2021
"I am" or "I'm". Not "Am".

Seeing 'am' everywhere like a trend, on social media and even official signages as this reinforces its usage especially among youths.

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by kenny2pj(m): 11:17pm On Oct 16, 2021
Interview can be so funny atimes, his failure paves way for someone else, it's a win win. Take it easy. When you get there, you can use your discretion.
Draslo:
Yadda! Yadda! Yadda! Your boss is an asshole. Period!

I used to be a grammar Nazi too until I realized how stupid I was. Americans make a shitload of grammatical errors and nobody bashes them for it. I'm sure if the intern was an American, your boss would have overlooked it.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Techguy96(m): 11:19pm On Oct 16, 2021
TruthHurts1:
He can get away with it because of his influence and status.

Get away?
Has anyone been arrested for using am instead of I'm
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by elbaraj2020(m): 11:20pm On Oct 16, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:
I hate when people use 'Am' instead of 'I'm' and I believe it, in a way, says a lot about the person's English literacy abilities. It's also like how some mistake usages of 'their' and 'there' or 'where' and 'were'.

I know something like an IELTS exam would not condone this error so I totally understand why your boss did what he did and commend him for it.

To all those shouting 'your boss is wicked', you are allowed to make this same mistake on a standard assessment examination for a high paying job.
Naturally reading your comment, I believe you are above mistake right? If that is not the case then you lack human feelings.
The aim of an aptitude test is to employ those that are capable of doing the job, and the the man said he has worked with the young man and he knows how good he is at the job, he also did well in the exams not like he needed help to pass the exams. Just because of a simple mistake you are now saying him been disqualified was the right decision? For crying out loud, this is a hand written exam and mistake is certainly inevitable, anyways it's your personal opinion and it's equally great but I pray your blood or someone you care about looking for a job won't fall victim to such...and it is important you act and share feelings like human not the opposite...thank you.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by naturefellow(m): 11:20pm On Oct 16, 2021
LZAA:
Nigerians and their love for anyone with money grin
Elon musk used it in a tweet
The so called intern used it in a job application
Syntax is very important in work environments and it's crucial to be formal
it's same manner we actually idolised these useless politicians and placed them on a pedestal far from reason, and above the law. Nigerians and Mammon!

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Originalsly: 11:22pm On Oct 16, 2021
Jobs have levels ... and requirements. If your boss wants his employees to be proficient in English....then he will weed out members of the who English epp gang. The same is widespread in the US where applicants abbreviate words as if writing on SM.... they are weeded out. From time to time someone here be highlighting common mistakes and am instead of I am/I'm is a top mistake. Too many believe am is correct. On Elon Musk... many Americans use slangs when speaking and writing on SM... but drop such when standard English is required.
There's a time and place for everything.

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by BENEAMATA: 11:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
What kind of airhead uses " am " in the place of " i am " in what is supposed to be a formal written piece ? And which one is english hard when you are supposed to have passed through the rigours of years of learning in higher institution with degrees to back it that you are qualified to hold a position in a workplace that requires you to communicate in english language ? ( simple but correctly spoken or written english language ) . How did you get that C in english to gain admission into your alma mater in the first place ?
Academic cheats everywhere , just look at that one that holds the post of Attorney - general of the federation ! six lines or less of his missives are usually error filled and he is supposed to be some kind of brilliant lawyer i guess .

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by DissTroy(m): 11:28pm On Oct 16, 2021
Realtord43:
Rubbish! absolute nonsense reason from your boss.

A simple error like these can be corrected without stress. Nobody is above mistake likewise your boss.

I don't know why it has become a norm for Nigeria Employer's demanding perfection from their employee.

Your boss is very wicked!

It isn't perfection. Writing and speaking articulately isn't demand perfect - it's normal.

I won't even date a girl who doesn't write or speak articulately. I won't even tolerate that shorthand writing they use.

Why have the standards descended so low?

Even if you didn't go to a tertiary institution, you should be able to speak and write articulately at least.

If you went to a university, there's no excuse not to.

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by folks4luv(f): 11:28pm On Oct 16, 2021
I'm sure other applicant's essay weren't perfect, I'm also sure your boss doesn't speak and write perfect grammar too but he is one of those that get mad with the 'am for i am' mistakes'. What he did there was play the god role, even worse. He dismissed a prospect cause of a mistake anyone could made (i said anyone cause most people that make this mistake know the diff, writing under pressure or absent mindedly can make them happen).

I really wanna pray that someone superior to him will also use his mistake to deny him something he deserves but I'll rather pray that God have mercy on him. Grant him the grace to accommodate other people's errors and weaknesses, even annoying ones.

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by folks4luv(f): 11:30pm On Oct 16, 2021
Now read the first paragraph of your own comment and tell me how articulate it is. I bet you didnt see your own error before clicking submit button.
DissTroy:

It isn't perfection. Writing and speaking articulately isn't demand perfect - it's normal.

I won't even date a girl who doesn't write or speak articulately. I won't even tolerate that shorthand writing they use.

Why have the standards descended so low?

Even if you didn't go to a tertiary institution, you should be able to speak and write articulately at least.

If you went to a university, there's no excuse not to.

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by bilulu(m): 11:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
TruthHurts1:
Formal and informal thats the case here....
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Bunmhi(f): 11:39pm On Oct 16, 2021
That your boss, nah wah for him oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Slay Queen Called To Bar Shares Her Experience At Nigerian Law School. Photos / Working In A Hotel For 6 Months Now: My Experience. / My Boss Almost Killed Me Today Because I Have Not Packed From His Apartment.