Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,535 members, 7,808,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This (51777 Views)

Please Advise: What Should Be My Reply To My Boss / My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by jamesbridget13(f): 12:51pm On Oct 17, 2021
I would support your boss if the guy is to be employed in the administrative unit but if the guy is to be in d technical unit then I think he would need a sharper brain on deck than a correct sentence writer.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Ay92(m): 1:19pm On Oct 17, 2021
Even Akon, an African American sang "DON'T MATTER" . IF I'm correct, it should be DOESN'T MATTER
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by timmyblast(m): 1:39pm On Oct 17, 2021
Realtord43:
Rubbish! absolute nonsense reason from your boss.

A simple error like these can be corrected without stress. Nobody is above mistake likewise your boss.

I don't know why it has become a norm for Nigeria Employer's demanding perfection from their employee.

Your boss is very wicked!
ask am how much them they pay. Internship is suppose to be a learning ground. But trust Nigeria to want a masters degree holder for an intern
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by RightToReject(m): 1:42pm On Oct 17, 2021
Respect55:

You didn't put 'full stops' at the end of your sentences.

To put a full stop on a listed item(s) is optional, especially when the listed item is not a full sentence.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by harmargedon: 1:54pm On Oct 17, 2021
Octopusssy:

Social media is responsible because even in the black community you still have learned people that use the words correctly.
if you say social media for Nigerians, then yes. But if it's for the black Americans I'd say no. It's like a thing there, unless they didn't grow up there.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Worldwise(m): 2:16pm On Oct 17, 2021
God will bless you for this your comment. We are all human for Godsake
Realtord43:
Rubbish! absolute nonsense reason from your boss.

A simple error like these can be corrected without stress. Nobody is above mistake likewise your boss.

I don't know why it has become a norm for Nigeria Employer's demanding perfection from their employee.

Your boss is very wicked!
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Sixfeetbelle: 2:22pm On Oct 17, 2021
McBishop2020:

I think you need the training the more.

I like how you ignored the original "am" problem and jumped head first unto my grammar undecided

I may not be proficient but little grammar mistakes like I pointed out should not be condoned.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Respect55(m): 2:22pm On Oct 17, 2021
RightToReject:

To put a full stop on a listed item(s) is optional, especially when the listed item is not a full sentence.
Okay.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Sixfeetbelle: 2:24pm On Oct 17, 2021
McBishop2020:

Even your command of the language you hype is poor. The exam body you quoted knows that the English Language is most countries' L2. Let's learn to correct and not always to condemn.

English language isn't our countries L2 hence easily made grammar mistakes such as am instead of I'm would not be pardoned. Stop excusing bad grammar
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Sixfeetbelle: 2:25pm On Oct 17, 2021
SmartyPants:

that's grammatical nonsense.

And the use of "am" instead of "I'm" isn't?
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Sixfeetbelle: 2:28pm On Oct 17, 2021
360command:
silly you all. You need to decolonize your mind. You all act like you are more English than the English man himself. Keep arguing on a small mistake over another man's language. A language to which you were stripped off and beaten to speak their language. A language to which they made you believe that theirs is the best. How I wish you all are talking about Yoruba, igbo ,hausa or swahili but no, your default instincts is to your colonizers. Even in matter of "language" , we still look to the west.
You all are a disgrace to the black nation..

Blame our leaders for choosing the English language as our lingua franca.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Sixfeetbelle: 2:29pm On Oct 17, 2021
Kylekent59:

You are here criticizing the applicant, but your English is bad.

Look at your grammar

"Such errors" is plural and should go with "say", but you used," says"

I marvel at how you scaled through.

At least I don't use "am" in place of "I'm" like you and your lots do
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by nurain150(m): 3:08pm On Oct 17, 2021
pocohantas:
Hello Nairalanders, I will like the house to judge this matter...

A boss that was just a previlleged mofo.

Anyways I blame the UNIs for not monitoring other Dept internship like the medicals.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by redsun(m): 3:21pm On Oct 17, 2021
These are the flimsy things that bother niggers. That's why they are missing from the real things. English language develops every day because the native speakers are evolving. But your languages are dying out because you are on the verge of extinction. You are not developing because you don't understand the colonisers' languages you speak. Your views and perspectives of the world you live in are second handed..
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Teleprompter(f): 3:40pm On Oct 17, 2021
In the Nigerian website for driver's license application, there is a place where they said you should "safe a number" instead of "SAVE a number"

Your boss might be one who has OCD to poor grammar or spelling mistakes. It is his company and can do as he pleases.

I might not disqualify a person for this mistake but I would surely address it and make sure it does not repeat itself.

This is not to say there are not numerous areas that I also need to improve but it is to say that we all see things differently.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Darreytinho10(m): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2021
Babanla werey ni boss e grin
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Skidee: 5:03pm On Oct 17, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:

At least I don't use "am" in place of "I'm" like you and your lots do

Continue justifying your bad grammar and condemning another's. What differentiates you and the guy that used 'am", it's still this wrong English.

Just admit am say, your own dey your body. Mr Englisu.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Justdare: 5:13pm On Oct 17, 2021
[quote author=pocohantas post=98519065]

Am not going to collect your CV.

grin wink
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Daboomb: 7:30pm On Oct 17, 2021
smasher1:

Your boss got to, and remains where he is by paying attention to details. He may be a perfectionist, but people need to pay attention to small things like this. It matters a lot. I see people posting two to three sentences on social media full of errors. Why not proof read it before posting or correct it after posting? It matters a lot, to people who want to keep succeeding.

English is just a language of communication, PERFECTION in it is not and will never be a yardstick for success!
If that were to be the case, then only those who speak "Queen's English" will be successful in life, not even the Chinese or Japanese or Russians and Nigeria will be the most successful Nation on Earth, far more than the British. grin

Now, if it was during a Test of 'English Language Proficiency', l can understand that because that is what is being tested.
The problem with the educated people in Nigeria is that they focus too much energy on speaking high-sounding Grammar, instead of focusing on Knowledge!
At the end of the day, what Nigeria has are educated people who can speak 'Big Grammar' but are not productive and know nothing about about how to be successful.
You can see the outcome in the failure of the Nation and it's Leaders in Public Offices.

Most times, simple errors like ignoring the difference between 'its and it's', is just out of sheer laziness to include the apostrophe.

BTW: You are also not exempt, from making such simple, grammatical error. undecided

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Daboomb: 7:41pm On Oct 17, 2021
redsun:
These are the flimsy things that bother niggers. That's why they are missing from the real things. English language develops every day because the native speakers are evolving. But your languages are dying out because you are on the verge of extinction. You are not developing because you don't understand the colonisers' languages you speak. Your views and perspectives of the world you live in are second handed..

It is called MISPLACED PRIORITY.
It is "Chinko Man" that cannot even speak smattering English, that is building our Trains and Tracks, our Roads, our Airports and borrowing us Money!

We need a re-evaluation of our priorities, see all the ignorant people on this thread going on and on about how their English Grammar is so important! grin grin
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by SmartyPants(m): 8:43pm On Oct 17, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:

And the use of "am" instead of "I'm" isn't?

They both obviously are.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Sixfeetbelle: 8:48pm On Oct 17, 2021
SmartyPants:

They both obviously are.

How is "I'm" grammatical nonsense? I'm seriously confuzzled.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by SmartyPants(m): 9:00pm On Oct 17, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:

How is "I'm" grammatical nonsense? I'm seriously confuzzled.

Was that what I highlighted in your original comment?
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Abdogood(m): 10:57pm On Oct 17, 2021
pocohantas:
Hello Nairalanders, I will like the house to judge this matter...

You boss get e own for body..

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Daboomb: 3:52am On Oct 18, 2021
At the end of the day, most Nigerians, when you listen to them speak English, especially those in "High Office" they vomit a lot of high-sounding grammar, just to impress their listener but end up saying nothing meaningful, not communicating and just verbose. grin grin

Too much focus on show-off. undecided
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Hullabaloon: 7:05am On Oct 18, 2021
Respect55:

You didn't put 'full stops' at the end of your sentences.

Don't mind that niggar. He ran the lady's comments on grammarly app and is coming here to form English editor.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Sixfeetbelle: 5:46pm On Oct 18, 2021
SmartyPants:

Was that what I highlighted in your original comment?

Let me come and be going. This one don pass me tongue

Have a good day.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by 360command: 6:56pm On Oct 18, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:

Blame our leaders for choosing the English language as our lingua franca.
nah.. I blame you all for arguing something unnecessary as if it is your language.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by osazsky(m): 10:37pm On Oct 18, 2021
Ynix:

I have not seen anyone employed in a reputable company that was not put through at one time or the other on how to do things rightly, most of this Jim Jim oga will say young Nigerian youth are unemployable but if you carefully consider where they started from they were not as good as one will expect.
I have met lots of younger ones who have disappointed me at different times but I give them space to breathe, as long as they are willing to work and grow up becoming better at what they are doing.
Thank God for those who did not give up on us when we were so crude
in training yes...consigning your designation yes..not simple and correct english..you suppose know the difference between am and I am in pry 1..like I said them nor they use pity give work o
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Ynix(m): 4:39am On Oct 19, 2021
osazsky:
in training yes...consigning your designation yes..not simple and correct english..you suppose know the difference between am and I am in pry 1..like I said them nor they use pity give work o
m
I understand what you just said, but there is more to work than little English grammatical errors, I do remember what Tony Elumelu do say about one thing he will never forget in his life which was that a man who never knew him give him the opportunity to work in their bank even when he was a misfit.
In giant stride business growth for a company that will go far, more emphasis is placed on raising leaders. Every opportunity I have to meet anyone even if they won't be in my circle, is to ensure that I tell them the flaws that would spoil future opportunities for them, that is the point I am making and you did not notice that in my earlier comment.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Hathor5(f): 4:43am On Oct 19, 2021
I thought one should use long forms in (formal/essay) writing. In this case I am is right and I'm is wrong.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Boss Almost Killed Me Today Because I Have Not Packed From His Apartment. / Meet Husseini Jidauna, The Dancing Traffic Police Officer In Adamawa State / Working In A Hotel For 6 Months Now: My Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.