Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,269 members, 7,807,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Meet Sola Ogunniyi: Nigerian Who Returned N38 Million Mistakenly Paid To Her! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Meet Sola Ogunniyi: Nigerian Who Returned N38 Million Mistakenly Paid To Her! (334 Views)

Julius Eze Returns ₦2.5 Million Mistakenly Transferred To His Account / Man Gets A Car For Returning N53m Mistakenly Paid Into His Account By The Govt / Man Who Returned N600,000 Mistakenly Sent To Him Now In Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Sola Ogunniyi: Nigerian Who Returned N38 Million Mistakenly Paid To Her! by V7place(m): 10:46am On Jan 31, 2021
That Nigeria and Nigerians are seen worldwide as corrupt is no longer news; just last week Transparency International as usual ranked us very high on the list of the most corrupt nations on Earth. To make matters worse, even Nigerians see themselves as beyond redemption as a popular saying nationwide is " Everybody is barawo, na the person wey dem catch be thief"

Madam Sola Ogunniyi ( nee Ismail) is the latest Nigerian to prove that WE ARE NOT ALL THIEVES. A protégé of the late Dr. Tai Solarin at the famous Mayflower School in Ikenne, Sola definitely learnt from the great man. The story of her returning N38 million is no longer news. What is news is people’s reaction on social media and nationwide to the story.

Whilst most praised her; there were others who saw her as mumu for not running away with the money and a few who said it was no big deal as she couldn’t run since BVN could be used to trace her; their assumptions does not of course explain though why there are still criminals and people who steal and defraud even with existing laws and systems like BVN.

We decided to sit down with Sola for an interview.
The inspiring young lady is the CEO of sholliefabrics- a fast growing clothier and fashion house in Lagos. @sholliefabrics on Instagram

Tell us a little more about Sola Ismail?

I am Sola Ogunniyi (nee Ismail) Married to Omotayo Ogunniyi. I have 3 wonderful children. I studied Agricultural Economics @ Ogun State University. I am a believer of God , and yes I am God fearing, I am a Muslim... I love fashion, I love to look good hence my passion turned to business

I lost both parents 3yrs apart same date different year. My parents were quite close and no one even believed my mum would stay 3years after Dad's demise. I still cry and still praying to God to console me at the same time. I am thankful for the years they spent on earth with me... Rest on Dad & mum Alh & Alhaja Dayo Ismail ( Baba Adinni of Emakirun Mosque of Ojodu, Lagos)

Some Nigerians on Nairaland hailed you; others said you are a[b] mumu[/b] and should have ran with the money- what do you say to them?

Thank you, Nigerians including close and extended family members who have rightly praised me for refunding the N38m have identified with our cores values of what I am, what I stand for and what we live for. This is what the Yoruba call "Omoluabi" which embodies honesty, dignity and integrity. Many Nigerians see other reasons they would not return d money .Well such actions will be short-lived and the damages of such actions will be forever. I can't be running helter skelter like the Yahoo boys moving from one place to another. *

You are the CEO of Sholliefabrics. What does your fashion house do and how can Nigerians patronize you?

ShollieFabrics is a home of fashion where Nigerians can buy all range of laces both (for women and Men) Atiku, Cotton, Wool etc We design, we make dresses and We sell Ready to wear @sholliefab_styles and we do AsoEbi for parties. My shop is @ No1 Balogun Strt off Fadeyi Aladura, obafemi Awolowo Way Ikeja. And my Instagram page is sholliefabrics.

Who was Tai Solarin to you? What was your experience as a student of Mayflower?

I attended Mayflower school Ikenne for my Secondary Education, Uncle Tai was all about Hardwork, Determination and Integrity! Like our school anthem We can be become whatever we choose to be.. This has always been my mantra and that is why I keep aiming higher to be the best in all I do. My experience .. Wow I can write a whole book on that . Uncle Tai taught us Humanity! To love one another and be patriotic.. He would go picking up dead people on the streets ( that other Nigerians would just leave and look away), how he did not collect a kobo as the MD of Defunct people's Bank.. it has shaped my life in a positive way.

What Is Your Advise To Nigerians?

What I have to tell Nigerians is that we have individual and collective responsibilities to make Nigeria a better place. The change you want to see in Nigeria starts with you as an individual. The image of Nigeria can be projected with a much better narrative when we all do the right thing, remain honest and maintain integrity.

Has the Chinese company reached out to you after the events?

They just said Thanks.. Honestly as human being let's be realistic I expected a thank you very much the next day but I didn't get it..

Nigerians are largely viewed worldwide as corrupt, thus many are surprised by your action- can we then say not all Nigerians are corrupt?

Yes, that is the point. Even if many are, not every Nigerian is a rogue. Many do have the tendency, but no, not every Nigerian is a fraudster. So, many Nigerians are upright, straightforward and trustworthy. Therefore, we can truly say that not every Nigerians is corrupt.

As the late legend Dora Akunyili -would say "Nigeria: Great People, Great County!"

Source: https://v7place.com/index.php?topic=2262.0

2 Likes

Re: Meet Sola Ogunniyi: Nigerian Who Returned N38 Million Mistakenly Paid To Her! by chukxie(m): 10:47am On Jan 31, 2021
A woman of virtue! A good ambassador of Nigeria. And a pointer to those narrow minded Chinese folks out there who think all Nigerians are dishonest and untrustworthy that there are more good than bad folks in Nigeria.
Re: Meet Sola Ogunniyi: Nigerian Who Returned N38 Million Mistakenly Paid To Her! by illicit(m): 10:52am On Jan 31, 2021
If it makes her happy, why not....
Re: Meet Sola Ogunniyi: Nigerian Who Returned N38 Million Mistakenly Paid To Her! by Stephenmoka4(m): 12:36pm On Jan 31, 2021
Very good. What if her alert SIM was missing or stolen, well it didn't.

(1) (Reply)

How To Be Earning Over 200k Monthly As A Digital Marketer / Sell BTC At A Sweet Rate. / Kilishi Always Available For Nation Wide Delivery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.