Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,491 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad (39131 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Fash20: 3:17pm On Feb 01, 2021
firstratedcitiz:
For some of us living abroad, racism is an everyday experience - something we are already getting used to. Forget what you hear about the USA and how America is a beacon of hope and haven for tolerance and freedom. Racism thrives here, man. Maybe because I am light skinned, but I seldom have encountered racist abuse. Although a few years back, after I migrated, I experienced what I felt as veiled racism when a white friend of mine got visibly annoyed because I toasted a white girl. I didn't know his reasons but I am sure it had to do with the latent racist tendencies in most Americans. (Dark skinned Africans even suffer worse). In United States racism is more obvious in the southern states than in the northern parts.

Damn! The dude was never your friend. perhaps he couldn't toast white ladies. lol
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 3:21pm On Feb 01, 2021
ikeseeholdings1:
i never understands what it means to be racially abused,until 2011 when i boarded a train from Beijing west train station to Guangzhou Train station. I was the only black man in that coach,everyone was Just looking at me,talking in their Language and laughing at me,calling me HEGWE(BLACK DEVIL)Because i don't understand the Language then.The most annoying part was when a family that sat close was telling their cry cry baby that if he crys again that they will bring him to me and the baby stopped crying. It was hell for me back then,especially when it's coming from Chinese people not from original White people

I'm feeling so bad about this now... so sorry bro

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by AFONJACOW(m): 3:24pm On Feb 01, 2021
Nicoswit:

The taxi woman is a yoruba?
yes

4 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Reeses: 3:25pm On Feb 01, 2021
Nicoswit:

Lol...guy you hate buhari oo...by the way you are eager to live usa bcoz of racism alone or other stuffs attached?
Buhari is a big mess bro..America aint that bad if you just want to chill and work like slave but Im just tired of the whole white shit no place like home bro.

11 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Takitrom: 3:29pm On Feb 01, 2021
MacMkboy:
My experience of racism was gotten in Anambra by Anambra people
How did it happen brother, don't be scared, speak up, there is always room for change.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 3:32pm On Feb 01, 2021
Ayilara1:
We give them too much attention and we always feel inferior.

Here in Nigeria, if I see a white man/woman, no matter the urge to look at them I make sure my gaze doesn't pass once. The annoying thing you will see is most Nigerian looking at them till they feel the importance.

We might never be free from it until we develop our country.

u have said it all.
one certain day I went to buy something in the market a white man probably an European man came down from his car to buy spare parts. I was disappointed seeing how everyone was looking at him as if he's a god.
most market women was shouting and smiling at him.... I even saw one woman selling okra Videoing him.
I was like WTF.

So bad.

23 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 3:37pm On Feb 01, 2021
shogsman:
I lived in baton rouge, USA and a white woman once asked if we have malls in Africa, I said know we just go the bush and pluck groceries from the tree,she was embarrassed and the people around was just laughing at how clueless she sounded

Good answer
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Jefferyhi86(m): 3:45pm On Feb 01, 2021
Chaii see f up. I leave dat to d yoruba pple to decide that grin
Pennywise:

Your tribal mark Nko?
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 3:49pm On Feb 01, 2021
Imagine say you no dey hear Yoruba?
Africans are worst set of people, something similar like this happen to me when I first traveled to Libya.
I saw this shop and i went there to ask question and the woman was insulting me in Yoruba thinking am non Yoruba but I didn't reply her oooh until 6 months when she was shocked, that I be Yoruba person.
Anyone who has lived in Germany, Sweden, Norway and Denmark can tell you want Somalians do to other Africa esp Nigeria yet we will be shouting racism.
More black people have been killed in Europe by black person, go to France, Spain and Italy.
AFONJACOW:
Flight from Dubai to Taipei , we were told to get another convit 19 results because the one we had has expired due to 1 day layoff so they directed us to one government hospital, me and my friends we were three, due to we don't know the place well, we called the first taxi woman she's an African lady wearing hijab covering only her head, we told her to take us to the place, she said she's going to use meters but as someone that has been in Dubai severally I told her not to use meter that we can negotiate price as others do oooo , she said no that she must use meter reading , I knw her intentions was to overcharged us by running around Dubai going where traffic lights plenty , I told my friends abeg let's check the next taxi Pakistani, the crazy woman said something that was very provoking, she spoke in her language , she called us criminals , killers and fraudster I was mad to hear this from someone with same complexion with me , I confronted her immediately and told her to just repeat what she said, she was surprised when[b] I spoke Yoruba to her in defense, she now became speechless I drawn attention of others , police appeared from nowhere I told them what happened and what she said , they collect her residence card and fined her instantly and told her to apologise to us... Yoruba people and insults no be here [/b]

3 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 3:51pm On Feb 01, 2021
Better stay where you dey or move to Europe
Nigeria worst ooooh
Reeses:

Have lived most of my life in America and i can tell you that i cant wait to get out and return back home.I am only waiting for that idiot Buhari to get out first.

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by gentleibraheem(m): 3:51pm On Feb 01, 2021
Pennywise:

Mumu. So you don't know if you are Hausa or Fulani?

Don't mind me.

I'mm a confused aboki man
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by emmyclassic(m): 4:00pm On Feb 01, 2021
kingsolomonjnr01:

u have said it all.
one certain day I went to buy something in the market a white man probably an European man came down from his car to buy spare parts. I was disappointed seeing how everyone was looking at him as if he's a god.
most market women was shouting and smiling at him.... I even saw one woman selling okra Videoing him.
I was like WTF.

So bad.
But if same thing is done to a Blackman abroad we will call it racism.. We blacks already feel inferior that’s why we are quick to see everything as racism.

4 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by rafcrown(m): 4:00pm On Feb 01, 2021
Asians will show racism towards black Africans as if they are.......
WHITE PEOPLE
Etc
Black people are the main target of racism

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Hermzou: 4:01pm On Feb 01, 2021
shege45:
I have never experienced Racism where I am

we don't have racist here in Nigeria
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by GallantDuke(m): 4:03pm On Feb 01, 2021
[quote author=Hassanmaye post=98633010][/quote] Abi

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by GallantDuke(m): 4:04pm On Feb 01, 2021
[quote author=jesmond3945 post=98632184]with time it would start getting to you.[/quote
Get to me?
I no get time.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by salford1: 4:04pm On Feb 01, 2021
gistray:
Yoruba man refuse to rent my his house in Lagos... Because I ain't Yoruba but itseriki
I doubt this. Yoruba and Itsekiri are very similar and often sharing names.

Anyway, that would be tribalism and not racism.

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by GallantDuke(m): 4:05pm On Feb 01, 2021
ParkleElegant:

Abi ooo who get their time, I send them message rubbish.....
Abi ooooi
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by BigBashiru: 4:07pm On Feb 01, 2021
kingsolomonjnr01:

u have said it all.
I was like WTF.

So bad.

they built the car you drive, the phone you use, the airplanes you fly on, the computers and tablets you use and virtually everything else.... thats why....

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by GallantDuke(m): 4:07pm On Feb 01, 2021
ThatEnuguboi:

Easier said, talk of a poor man before wealth, you have no dignity I think
So I should kill myself because one foolish white man refused to sit beside me? Or I should start feeling bad about it?
Dignity koo, Dignified nii
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by BigBashiru: 4:10pm On Feb 01, 2021
emmyclassic:
But if same thing is done to a Blackman abroad we will call it racism.. We blacks already feel inferior that’s why we are quick to see everything as racism.

very true. spot on comment...

truth is people can look at you somehow simply because theyve not seen someone like you before... its not racism at all...

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 4:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
emmyclassic:

The difference is clear... those white forks looks at us with such hatred, most time they abuse us verbally. but have u seen an Nigerian abusing a white man? rather they look at them with excitement.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by GetMeRight: 4:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
lionness:

Every other tribes were there buying, but this guy, na me wey be Nigerian e dey follow up and down. Anyways, the bastard smile after I pulled out the $1200 wey dey my pocket and try do the addition from AED to dollar. I just tire, sometimes e nor good to be Nigerian

And right now, #Endsars protesters had successfully secured the much needed for the yahoo boys. Nigeria's bad image worldwide just started on a new scale last year. We now worship fraud
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 4:16pm On Feb 01, 2021
BigBashiru:

they built the car you drive, the phone you use, the airplanes you fly on, the computers and tablets you use and virtually everything else.... thats why....

Seriously eh, reading the trend has been giving me double mind about traveling out in the nearest future.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by GetMeRight: 4:17pm On Feb 01, 2021
emmyclassic:

I guess you are only telling yourself that to make yourself feel better.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Cleanworld(f): 4:19pm On Feb 01, 2021
lionness:
Not sure this counts as racism sha...
At the airport in Dubai, I waited until everyone was out so I can move from the my economy section to the business class so I can snap pix to oppress my friends at home. While traveling to Boudreaux in France, I’ve seen some Nigerians do it, na so this angry Indian host attack: “you Nigerians always sneaking to Business class to take pictures. You lot are fake.”
I was so ashamed I couldn’t take the picture and waka quietly commot. But as in, does it matter so far I board plane.

Second racism, me and my boy and two of my cousins are leaving a shopping mall and headed for the Knottingly train station make we enter one owambe for Leeds, na so this white grandma wey approach us just stop and take race. If you see as the grandma run as of say we wan rob am. I just watch am zoom and my head wan scatter.

The third na for Dubai—as in Arabs or Indians, I nor sabi this man tribe, but those people hate us nor be small. Na for the Duty Free section I wan pack cheap chocolate wey I go share for family members at home, and I carry my bag, you won’t believe it, this Arab or Indian man just dey follow me bumper to bumper—and on his face was the expression: “you thief, get out of here or I will disgrace you.” Every other tribes were there buying, but this guy, na me wey be Nigerian e dey follow up and down. Anyways, the bastard smile after I pulled out the $1200 wey dey my pocket and try do the addition from AED to dollar. I just tire, sometimes e nor good to be Nigerian

The last one na for Shivaji for Mumbai in India. One Indian werey called Kalol wants my business to come and inspect his special milling machine. Na so I wan take explore India small. See, they way they searched me in that place after almost shredding my bags, I fear. After I was cleared, someone came out of a room and said they should stop the “kali.” Na me be kali which means a special name for blacks. My Nigerian passport was a big red flag and they asked me to remove my jacket again and searched me. As in, the man was confused that I wasn’t carrying drugs. He really couldn’t believe it and the thing choke am die. He later asked me why I was coming and personally called the Kalol guy who only sent me a taxi to pick me up. I am never ever going to India for anything in my life...those people get special hate and racism for us

Non of these are your fault ofcourse but some Nigerians have really ''show'' these people the stuff they are made of... through 419 and dishonesty .

Your oyinbo friends will always treat you nice with lots of respect but once you are with an oyinbo strangers the first thing they will say is that' i hope you are not one of those NIGERIA PRINCE?'
its sooo bad that its hard for a Nigeria to feel really comfortable abroad that's another reason mental health is on the rise there because many can't and don't mingle at all.
when you tell those that haven't gone there they will think that you don't want their progress untill they get there and see that money doesn't grow on a tree and getting a job as people of colour is not easy and 419, corruption has made the oyinbo so weary of us even when you have good intensions

I was in a meeting with group of ''races'' sometimes last year and a nigerian lady tender her suggestion on the topic of the day but to my surprise an oyinbo just asked her where she came from and she answered him that she's a Nigerian and the next thing oyinbo reply back was that'' haaa no wonder Nigerians are so aggresive'' meanwhile this lady speak in a normal tone and i just winked to her to say no more.

This is a good reason why we all need to work on showing other countries that not all Nigerians are corrupt through our deeds and if you can explain to them.
it will take a long walk but we will get there.

Those that want to make quick money doesnt care to sore our reputations but no matter how much you spend as blackman, oyibo will believe that its a stolen money.
STOP DISPLAYING MONEY ONLINE AND START DISPLAYING YOUR CREATIVITIES.

my2cent

13 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by fattprince(m): 4:20pm On Feb 01, 2021
ovieni:
always painting the devil as a black man by Europeans is the highest
racism I have seen so far
You smart. To the extent of conditioning our minds to black=bad white=good. I mean if you open your mind you will know black is an attractive color very beautiful.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by BigBashiru: 4:24pm On Feb 01, 2021
kingsolomonjnr01:

Seriously eh, reading the trend has been giving me double mind about traveling out in the nearest future.

"reading the trend" - what does that mean?

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by armadeo(m): 4:46pm On Feb 01, 2021
Rilwayne001:
Most stories on this thread points to how Nigerian are treated abroad, and not really about race. And I'm not surprised. The corruption and Yahoo yahoo that's plagued the country is enough reason for foreigners to treat us like thieves. We're our very own enemies.

I went for a conference once, I bumped j to another nigerian there.

The third day or so they were discussing emails and the only examples given was the emails from Nigerians.

There were other blacks there but I tried to sink I to my chair because I've been proudly screaming Nigeria when asked where are you from.

Men yahoo has casted us everywhere outside.

8 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Reeses: 4:47pm On Feb 01, 2021
seunny4lif:
Nigeria worst ooooh
Well America is far better than the whole Europe i rather stay here than move there.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by AMvanquish: 4:53pm On Feb 01, 2021
Calibrator:
Nigerians should honestly be the last set of people to complain about racism.

Hypocrisy is when a country plagued by internal tribalism by fellow countrymen gets offended by external racism perpetuated by outsiders.

Charity begins at home.

Before you come for my head, check out the comments on any front page crime section thread.

Tribalism is worse than Racism!

You said nothing but the truth. Nigerians are the biggest bunch of hypocrites I know. We are full of double standards in every facet of society.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by planetx: 4:58pm On Feb 01, 2021
seunny4lif:
Nigeria worst ooooh
Nigeria is actually a nice place to live if you have money. Not trying to convince anyone not to migrate but I am talking from experience, life is too short to spend my elderly years dealing with some oyinbo bullshit racism.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Video: Onitsha Head Bridge Closed / Anambra International Airport Avio Bridges Are Being Installed / Taraba Corpers Involved In Motor Accident (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.