Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,959 members, 7,799,249 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

He Wants To Dump Law For English Education - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Wants To Dump Law For English Education (15427 Views)

English Education Or English And Literary Studies, Which Is Preferable? / Whats The Difference Between Linguistic,English Education And English Studies / JAMB Recommended Books For English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics And Biology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by clockwisereport: 7:40am On Feb 02, 2021
Bodyodour:
his aim is teaching abroad .

Is he 100% sure of getting a teaching job abroad?

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by jayworld15(m): 11:09am On Feb 02, 2021
LegalWolf:

I can tell you for sure that he is making a very big mistake. As a lawyer, the situation is not as gloomy as they paint it on social media. To demonstrate my point, and drawing from personal experience, there are lots of lawyers who have never been poorly paid. Some law firms pay as much as 170k for NYSC. Post NYSC, my salary was circa 250 and it goes up every damn fuck_n year. Again, take a look at the top lawyers in the field - Olanipekun, Asue Ighodalo, Oyebode, Yusuf Ali, Pinheiro, Kanyinsola Ajayi amongst others too numerous to mention. These guys are ballers. Look at their offices and cars. Kanyinsola Ajayi's office is in Banana Island. Do you understand that? These guys live the sweet and smooth life mehnnnn. Same cannot be said of English Language graduates that you know.

Indeed, I must emphasise that you must not limit yourself to practice. There is so much out there that you can make a killing from. Ibe Kachikwu made bastard money working in-house. The likes of joe abah have carved a niche for themselves in governance and they are doing well. The minister of foreign affairs worked for international organization and he made a killing for himself. So, please and please, dont restrict yourself to law practice as there is lots of opportunities out there.

Even if my post is not useful to the OP, i hope it inspires someone out there to keep trying. The best decision i ever made was to study law.

Among all the names you mentioned, who equates to professors Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Ola Rotimi, J.P. Clark etc. In every field of study in life, we all have names. So stop talking as if the guy is making a mistake of his life. Mind you, Achebe dumped Medicine for English in UI even with a whole British scholarship that came with it after he read “Heart of Darkness” and “Mr. Johnson “. I won’t say more than this.

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by LegalWolf: 12:38pm On Feb 02, 2021
jayworld15:

Among all the names you mentioned, who equates to professors Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Ola Rotimi, J.P. Clark etc. In every field of study in life, we all have names. So stop talking as if the guy is making a mistake of his life. Mind you, Achebe dumped Medicine for English in UI even with a whole British scholarship that came with it after he read “Heart of Darkness” and “Mr. Johnson “. I won’t say more than this.

I think you are missing the point and I will do you a favor of explaining my view. Firstly, and to give a context to where im coming from in my comment, if you go through the initial post which i responded to, you will realise that the major reason why his friend is dumping law is the poor pay and not passion or anything else. So my response is to highlight that there are lots of good paying law firms out there and quite apart from that, the opportunity is massive for lawyers. He should not get carried away about poor pay from what he hears on social media. Thats the whole idea of my post and i think that is pretty obvious to everyone.

Then again, you made mention of certain names and you asked me whether the top lawyers i mentioned "equates" to them. To my mind, that question seems ambiguous as "equate" could be interpreted from several contexts. Is it money, fame, clout, brilliance or what exactly? I think a proper understanding of this background will enable us proceed on a logical argument.

But one thing i must tell you is this: those lawyers i mentioned are damm fuckn brilliant and successful using (using any matrix u can come up with to define "brilliance" and "successful".

Shalom!
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by jayworld15(m): 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2021
LegalWolf:

I think you are missing the point and I will do you a favor of explaining my view. Firstly, and to give a context to where im coming from in my comment, if you go through the initial post which i responded to, you will realise that the major reason why his friend is dumping law is the poor pay and not passion or anything else. So my response is to highlight that there are lots of good paying law firms out there and quite apart from that, the opportunity is massive for lawyers. He should not get carried away about poor pay from what he hears on social media. Thats the whole idea of my post and i think that is pretty obvious to everyone.

Then again, you made mention of certain names and you asked me whether the top lawyers i mentioned "equates" to them. To my mind, that question seems ambiguous as "equate" could be interpreted from several contexts. Is it money, fame, clout, brilliance or what exactly? I think a proper understanding of this background will enable us proceed on a logical argument.

But one thing i must tell you is this: those lawyers i mentioned are damm fuckn brilliant and successful using (using any matrix u can come up with to define "brilliance" and "successful".

Shalom!

He gives his reason which would never be acceptable to everyone same way I gave you Achebe’s reason. His reason is valid, I think, from his own perspective. Secondly, you listed some yardsticks for brilliance and success, those names I gave to you and many more like them, stands where only great minds stand. These are people whose works have raised great men and women to unparalleled level in life. They’re not just shining light for their country but for the whole of black race. Their works will stay thousands of years to come. They were contended with their wealth ( even after death, they’d still make it due to contracts in their work); prestige- they have nerves to sit with high standard men and women (Remember Achebe, Soyinka and Clark visited IBB on Vatsa’s case); Respect- they command high respect around the world than even your supreme justice; Effect- their works are like panacea to social problem (Achebe’s “A Man of the People” was prophetic to 1967’s civil war). Just name any area of your yardsticks, then, let us all contend with it.

In just a modicum of what I’m trying to say is that one may think he’s making a wrong choice but he could turn to be great. Let his work and the present decide for him, even if he studies law, he could turn to a ‘charge and bail’ lawyer. So studying law guarantees nothing for him.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NOUN Disowns Fake Exams Questions On Buhari. See the picture of the exam questio / Pls. Can Any One Comment On This Essay" Farmer Are More Better Than Doctor" / Threat To Block My BVN: Please Help.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.