Stats: 3,149,840 members, 7,806,361 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

How many languages are in your state? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How many languages are in your state? (20164 Views)

How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / The Top Ten Sexiest Languages In The World (2) (3) (4)

Re: How many languages are in your state? by akdjr(m): 12:38pm On Apr 17, 2021
Igarra people speak a language they called "Etuno" and Benin speak "Bini" or "Edo"
Ohizfly:
English is the official language of the state. The major tribal languages spoken in the state are Edo language, Igarra, Etsako/Afemai, Esan and Okpamheri.Edo State is home to several ethnicities, among them the Edo , Okpe , Esan , Afemai/Etsako, Ora, Akoko-Edo, Igbanke,
Emai. smileyEnglish is the official language of the state. The major tribal languages spoken in the state are Edo language, Igarra, Etsako/Afemai, Esan and Okpamheri.Edo State is home to several ethnicities, among them the Edo , Okpe , Esan , Afemai/Etsako, Ora, Akoko-Edo, Igbanke,
Emai.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Sammy07: 12:39pm On Apr 17, 2021
My state only has two.

Ondo state

Yoruba and Ijaw
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Daum: 12:39pm On Apr 17, 2021
somehow:

So where do you put the Benins(Binis) or nothing like that in the state of Edo?

The Benins are called the Edos. It is stated there
Re: How many languages are in your state? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 12:39pm On Apr 17, 2021
asu su igbo amaka!

Re: How many languages are in your state? by frankson1(m): 12:45pm On Apr 17, 2021
Kalatium:

the languages are mutually unintelligible.
We can't comprehend each other

I'll ask the same question I've always been asking those people who are of the opinion (not against them) that the country should be divided. In this case, how is the state going to be divided considering the fact that language is ONE of the problems dividing this country.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by 4ckyou: 12:47pm On Apr 17, 2021
Daum:

I swear, I heard one language like that spoken by people in Owan community near the river before ifon, my God, I was confused. The language was dancing on its own. It didn't sound like Yoruba but it didn't sound like Owan. It was just on its own.

Utese and Egbeta share boundaries but they don't understand each other. Their two languages are different from Benin

It's Owan but kinda different a little bit
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Iamnotfearyou: 12:49pm On Apr 17, 2021
[quo
Very true, even in my Nasarawa state we have about 23 different languages with each very strange and alian to the other........just like the languages you mentioned above sound different......my brother the problem with these southerners and easterners is the never believe anything you tell as far as it does not exist around them,I want to believe that they were the same people Jesus Christ was talking to when he said bless are those who have faith, for they believe even if they can't see

Re: How many languages are in your state? by totosucker(m): 12:49pm On Apr 17, 2021
Kalatium:
It seems most of us do not know about other states in Nigeria. As such i want to use this arena for us to enumerate the languages in our respective states.

I noticed that most people down south assume that once you are from the North you are hausa (aboki) likewise those up north are ignorant of down south.

In case you don't know Kaduna State alone has about 60 languages alone. Names on the bracket is their alternative names.

KADUNA STATE
1. Atyap(kataf)
2. Akurmi(Kurama)
3. Anghan ( Kamanton)
4. Amo,
5. Aruruma(Ruruma)
6. Atachaat ( Kachechere),
7. Kadara(adara)
8. Atuku,
9. Ayu,
10. Bajju,
11. Bakulu/Ikulu
12. Bhazar/Koro
13. Bur (Sanga),
14. Binawa,
15. Dingi,
16. Fantswam,
17. Fulfulde ,
18. Gbagyi,
19. Gure,
20. Gwandara,
21. Gwong (Kagoma),
22. Ham ( Jaba),
23. Hausa,
24. Jangi,
25. Kaibi,
26. Kahugu,
27. Kanufi,
28. Kigono,
29. Kinugu,
30. Kitimi,
31. Kiwafa,
32. Kiwollo,
33. Kono,
34. Kuvori (Surubu),
35. Kuturmi,
36. Tsam (Chawai)
37. Mada (Mardan)
38. Nandu,
39. Nduyah,
40. Numana,
41. Nindem,
42. Ningeshe,
43. Ninkyop,
44. Ninzo,
45. Nyenkpa (Yeskwa),
46. Oegworok,
47. Pikal,
48. Pitti,
49. Ribang,
50. Rishuwa,
51. Rumada,
52 Ruruma,
53. Rumayya,
54. Shemawa
55. Sholio (Marwa),
56. Siyawa
57. Takad,
58. Tarri, and
59. Lemoro * not sure,

What about you how many languages does your state has?

these are not the only languages in Kaduna State. You didn't mention Kamuku and Gwari languages
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Daum: 12:49pm On Apr 17, 2021
4ckyou:

It's Owan but kinda different a little bit

You know the Language abi. It's called Ikpin I think
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Allwell96: 12:52pm On Apr 17, 2021
ijawcitizen:
I believe most of these tribes are just clans, sections, towns or dialects of a larger ethnic group.

With proper ethnic grouping, the tribes in Kaduna may not be up to 10.
I'm not sure of that. In Sanga local government of kaduna state for instance, there are about 9 different languages and they don't understand each other at all. Totally different to each other. In the markets that bring them together, or even churches, they mostly use Hausa or English to communicate.

Re: How many languages are in your state? by somehow: 1:10pm On Apr 17, 2021
Daum:

The Benins are called the Edos. It is stated there

If they are called the Edos
What then is the language called?
Re: How many languages are in your state? by AreaFada2: 1:12pm On Apr 17, 2021
somehow:

So where do you put the Benins(Binis) or nothing like that in the state of Edo?

Actually Benins are called Edo. I still wonder why Edo was chosen as name of the State. May be it was politics, maybe calling it Benin State would imply Oba of Benin as the only monarch.

People of Edo South do not call themselves Benin (Bini that is totally wrong by the way as the palace has made clear many times). Since at least 1440 Edo South people have called themselves Edo. Benin City it was called Oredo.
The Europeans used Benin Kingdom or Benin Empire, Benin was for their convenience. In reality, Benin State should have been used because it covers far more people than people of Edo South. Before 1991, if you said "I am Edo or Ovbiedo", it meant you come from Edo South. Edo North and Central people didn't identify as Edo then. It might surprise many on Nairaland, as most were not born yet before 1991.

The other side of the coin is that knowingly or unknowingly, calling it Edo State actually narrows everyone more to being from Edo South.

Re: How many languages are in your state? by spiceadole: 1:15pm On Apr 17, 2021
Kalatium:
It seems most of us do not know about other states in Nigeria. As such i want to use this arena for us to enumerate the languages in our respective states.

I noticed that most people down south assume that once you are from the North you are hausa (aboki) likewise those up north are ignorant of down south.

In case you don't know Kaduna State alone has about 60 languages alone. Names on the bracket is their alternative names.

KADUNA STATE
1. Atyap(kataf)
2. Akurmi(Kurama)
3. Anghan ( Kamanton)
4. Amo,
5. Aruruma(Ruruma)
7. Kadara(adara)
8. Atuku,
9. Ayu,
10. Bajju,
11. Bakulu/Ikulu
12. Bhazar/Koro
13. Bur (Sanga),
14. Binawa,
15. Dingi,
16. Fantswam,
17. Fulfulde ,
18. Gbagyi,
19. Gure,
20. Gwandara,
21. Gwong (Kagoma),
22. Ham ( Jaba),
23. Hausa,
24. Jangi,
25. Kaibi,
26. Kahugu,
27. Kanufi,
28. Kigono,
29. Kinugu,
30. Kitimi,
31. Kiwafa,
32. Kiwollo,
33. Kono,
34. Kuvori (Surubu),
35. Kuturmi,
36. Tsam (Chawai)
37. Mada (Mardan)
38. Nandu,
39. Nduyah,
40. Numana,
41. Nindem,
42. Ningeshe,
43. Ninkyop,
44. Ninzo,
45. Nyenkpa (Yeskwa),
46. Oegworok,
47. Pikal,
48. Pitti,
49. Ribang,
50. Rishuwa,
51. Rumada,
52 Ruruma,
53. Rumayya,
54. Shemawa
55. Sholio (Marwa),
56. Siyawa
57. Takad,
58. Tarri, and
59. Lemoro * not sure,

Unnecessary division.
All these tribes understand and speak HAUSA.
Yes or Yes?

Re: How many languages are in your state? by Fairbanks(m): 1:17pm On Apr 17, 2021

Going by ur style, lets say every state in Nigeria has 59 tribes......59 × 37 = 2183......Meaning that Nigeria has 2183 tribes.

Wonderful.

This is d dumbest conclusion I have ever seen. U must be a dummy.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by rhektor(m): 1:18pm On Apr 17, 2021
Quality20:
Sokoto: Zabarmawa Fulani Hausa Arab
Arab dey for Sokoto? Wonderment
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Drosonogasta(m): 1:21pm On Apr 17, 2021

Going by ur style, lets say every state in Nigeria has 59 tribes......59 × 37 = 2183......Meaning that Nigeria has 2183 tribes.
Every Local govt rather

Wonderful.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Murrynmama: 1:23pm On Apr 17, 2021
Kalatium:

KADUNA STATE
1. Atyap(kataf)
2. Akurmi(Kurama)
3. Anghan ( Kamanton)
4. Amo,
5. Aruruma(Ruruma)
7. Kadara(adara)
8. Atuku,
9. Ayu,
10. Bajju,
11. Bakulu/Ikulu
12. Bhazar/Koro
13. Bur (Sanga),
14. Binawa,
15. Dingi,
16. Fantswam,
17. Fulfulde ,
18. Gbagyi,
19. Gure,
20. Gwandara,
21. Gwong (Kagoma),
22. Ham ( Jaba),
23. Hausa,
24. Jangi,
25. Kaibi,
26. Kahugu,
27. Kanufi,
28. Kigono,
29. Kinugu,
30. Kitimi,
31. Kiwafa,
32. Kiwollo,
33. Kono,
34. Kuvori (Surubu),
35. Kuturmi,
36. Tsam (Chawai)
37. Mada (Mardan)
38. Nandu,
39. Nduyah,
40. Numana,
41. Nindem,
42. Ningeshe,
43. Ninkyop,
44. Ninzo,
45. Nyenkpa (Yeskwa),
46. Oegworok,
47. Pikal,
48. Pitti,
49. Ribang,
50. Rishuwa,
51. Rumada,
52 Ruruma,
53. Rumayya,
54. Shemawa
55. Sholio (Marwa),
56. Siyawa
57. Takad,
58. Tarri, and
59. Lemoro * not sure,

Shut up
Kaduna has only one tribe
Hausa, any other thing is fake

Re: How many languages are in your state? by Ikwerelastborn: 1:23pm On Apr 17, 2021
Iamnotfearyou:
[quo
Very true, even in my Nasarawa state we have about 23 different languages with each very strange and alian to the other........just like the languages you mentioned above sound different......my brother the problem with these southerners and easterners is the never believe anything you tell as far as it does not exist around them,I want to believe that they were the same people Jesus Christ was talking to when he said bless are those who have faith, for they believe even if they can't see
Re: How many languages are in your state? by ransomed: 1:24pm On Apr 17, 2021
rhektor:

Arab dey for Sokoto? Wonderment

Most of them were brought in for rigging elections. They are aliens.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Vinnie2000(m): 1:30pm On Apr 17, 2021
I am from Delta State and we have diz tribes n dialects in bracket...

*Urhobo (Uvwie)
*Urhobo (Okpe)
*Urhobo(Ughievwen)
*Urhobo(Ughelli/Abraka dialect..it's called Agbon or so)

*Ijaw (Igbe-ijoh/okerenkoko)
*Ijaw(Central, Bomadi/some Burutu towns e.g Ojobo, Okpokunou.. )
*Ijaw(Burutu e.g Ogulagha, Odimodi)

*Isoko

*Itsekiri

*Ika(Agbor pple)

*Ukwuani(Obiaruku n Umutu pple)

*Ndokwa (Kwale pple)

*Anioma(Asaba/Issele-ukwu pple)..It is this Group that is Closest to Igbo language because they re facing Onitsha in Anambra..

By the Way, who is d Guy in d first page misrepresenting Delta State?? sad

Re: How many languages are in your state? by Incognito403: 1:32pm On Apr 17, 2021
Kalatium:

Are you having difficulty understanding simple sentence?
Where did i say that Every state has 59 tribes.
Indeed, OP was right. Many southerners don't know how diverse the north is. Perhaps that's because of their unity. Indeed the fulsnis did a great job of unifying the north. The south doesn't have a fraction of the tribes they have up north.

If you go to states like Niger, Gombe and Plateau you'll see uncountable tribes. But they all speak Hausa as a lingua franca.

If Nigeria splits, the north might be the poorest but they're most likely to have the lowest ethno-religious crises.

Apart from Kano and one or two other states, all the rest are not Hausa or fulani speakers. In fact the typical northerner speaks three languages; hausa, his mother tongue and the language of the town he lives (because many of them are travellers).

We just have to appreciate them for this.

Re: How many languages are in your state? by rhektor(m): 1:33pm On Apr 17, 2021
ransomed:

Most of them were brought in for rigging elections. They are aliens.
grin grin grin cheesy
Re: How many languages are in your state? by stasius: 1:43pm On Apr 17, 2021
Anambra State

Igbo
Igala

Re: How many languages are in your state? by digitalman2811(m): 1:44pm On Apr 17, 2021
Vinnie2000:

*Urhobo (Uvwie)
*Urhobo (Okpe)
*Urhobo(Ughievwen)

*Isoko

*Itsekiri

*Ika(Agbor pple)

*Ndokwa (Kwale pple)

*Anioma(Asaba/Issele-ukwu pple)..It is this Group that is Closest to Igbo language because they re facing Onitsha in Anambra..

How come we from Abia ,imo and Anambra,Ebonyi and Enugu state understands the ika,ukwuani,Ndokwa and anioma people when the speak their so called languages?? How come the bear the same names with the people o the 5 Aformentioned states?I want you to answer this question.

Re: How many languages are in your state? by somehow: 1:45pm On Apr 17, 2021
AreaFada2:

Actually Benins are called Edo. I still wonder why Edo was chosen as name of the State. May be it was politics, maybe calling it Benin State would imply Oba Benin as the only monarch.

People of Edo South do not call themselves Benin (Bini that is totally wrong by the way as the palace has made clear many times). Since at least 1440 Edo South people have called themselves Edo. Benin City it was was called Oredo.
The Europeans used Benin Kingdom or Benin Empire, Benin was for their convenience. In reality, Benin State should have been used because it covers far more people than people of Edo South. Before 1991, if you said "I am Edo or Ovbiedo", it meant you come from Edo South. Edo North and Central people didn't identify as Edo then. It might surprise many on Nairaland, as most were not born yet before 1991.

The other side of the coin is that knowingly or unknowingly, calling it Edo State actually narrows everyone to being from Edo South.
So you're saying the Europeans named it Benin? I don't get.

And what is the language called?
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Oloniyan(m): 1:49pm On Apr 17, 2021
Just One and it is EKITI

Re: How many languages are in your state? by Amtrak: 1:50pm On Apr 17, 2021
Vinnie2000:

*Urhobo (Uvwie)
*Urhobo (Okpe)
*Urhobo(Ughievwen)

*Isoko

*Itsekiri

*Ika(Agbor pple)

*Ndokwa (Kwale pple)

If you are smart enough to understand that Uvwie, Okpe, and Ughievwen are all Urhobos of different clans, I don't see how you are not smart enough to understand that Ika, Ukwuani, Ndokwa, and Anioma are all Igbo clans. The Igbos have been largely politically unfortunate in Nigeria since the civil war hence brothers resort to self-denial and denying each other; but the truth still stands.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How many languages are in your state? by Kei144(m): 2:14pm On Apr 17, 2021
vincentjk:
I'm an anambra man but there are languages you'll hear being spoken by some parts of anambra and you'll open your mouth in shock lol

You'll even swear that they're speaking another language entirely and not igbo grin

Same igbo but just different dialect.

Anambra State has two native languages: Igbo and Igalla.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by kuuljay(m): 2:15pm On Apr 17, 2021
Trimjos:

How is SE 97% igbo?? Oga it is 100%
Which other language is spoken in SE other than igbo?
ever been to abakaliki?
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Softboy001: 2:17pm On Apr 17, 2021
RedboneSmith:
1. Igbo (three macro-dialects of it)
2. Oza (a Bini dialect)
3. Olukwumi (a Yoruba dialect)
4. Igala (the Ebu dialect)
5. Itsekiri
6. Urhobo
7. Isoko
8. Ijaw

So, at least 8 languages are spoken in my state; but that number may even be higher depending on how one defines language and dialect.

(Some of the dialects of Urhobo and Isoko are sometimes ranked as different languages, e.g., Okpe and Erohwa, just as some of the dialects of Igbo are often ranked as different languages).

I guess this is delta state, that Igbo language you have up there is not the same please

We have...
1.Aniocha
2. Ika
3. Ukwani.
They sound like Igbo but are not Igbo. And the are very different from one another. I know this because am an ika man but from Edo state

About Iwa Akwa Festival (Igbo Initiation Into Manhood) / Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. / Lies About Oyo Empire

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59