Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,943 members, 7,799,193 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

How many languages are in your state? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How many languages are in your state? (20078 Views)

How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / The Top Ten Sexiest Languages In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How many languages are in your state? by AreaFada2: 4:33pm On Apr 17, 2021
somehow:
So you're saying the Europeans named it Benin? I don't get.

And what is the language called?

The bolded is only partly correct. The Portuguese called it Beny by 1473. By 1553 when the British came they called it Benin-City, due to how organised, well-planned, well administered and clean the city was. Actually, it was coastal subjects in Delta who told the Portuguese that the overload/King of Ubini was in the interior. By the 1470s, the former tentative name Ubini had been replaced by Edo decades earlier.

It was renamed Edo in 1440 by Oba Ewuare I to honour Edo, a brave executed servant who had saved his life as a prince because the tussle for the crown had turned deadly. Fact is Ubini or Ile-Ubini was never really accepted by Benin people as a name. It was a name outsiders called Igodomigodo.

Today, Urhobo call Benin Aka, Igbo call it Idu, etc. Although both have known good historical reasons to refer to Benin as Aka and Idu but Benin/Edo people do not call themselves such. Yoruba even call it Ado.

Idu was the founder of Edo/Benin nation. Igodomigodo was the real first name Edo/Benin called themselves. The Second self-given name (by Oba Ewuare I) was Edo. Ubini/Beny/Benin or whatever variations was NOT given to Igodo/Edo people by themselves and thus never used in Edo Language. There is no Ovbie Benin or Ovbie Bini. It is Ovbiedo. It was previously Ovbie Igodo. Since Benin became known worldwide as an Empire, for easy recognition sake, Benin is preferred, not Bini. None of the two is indigenous to Edo people anyway.

There is actually nothing like Bini or Benin Language if you look at it in its purest form. It is Edo Language. Unu no z'Edo. Nothing like Unu no ze Bini or Unu no ze Benin.

Over time, outsiders may find an easy way to describe a people, but the people do not call themselves such even though they tolerate or accept it for international diplomacy sake. Japanese call their country Nihon (sounds as Nippon) as Land of the Rising Sun. While the people are Nihonjin and the language is Nihongo. No matter how much we outsiders call the people Japanese or their country Japan, they remain who they call themselves.

I hope this clarifies it better.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How many languages are in your state? by Kaypeeboss(m): 4:41pm On Apr 17, 2021
Kalatium:
It seems most of us do not know about other states in Nigeria. As such i want to use this arena for us to enumerate the languages in our respective states.

I noticed that most people down south assume that once you are from the North you are hausa (aboki) likewise those up north are ignorant of down south.

In case you don't know Kaduna State alone has about 60 languages alone. Names on the bracket is their alternative names.

KADUNA STATE
1. Atyap(kataf)
2. Akurmi(Kurama)
3. Anghan ( Kamanton)
4. Amo,
5. Aruruma(Ruruma)
6. Atachaat ( Kachechere),
7. Kadara(adara)
8. Atuku,
9. Ayu,
10. Bajju,
11. Bakulu/Ikulu
12. Bhazar/Koro
13. Bur (Sanga),
14. Binawa,
15. Dingi,
16. Fantswam,
17. Fulfulde ,
18. Gbagyi,
19. Gure,
20. Gwandara,
21. Gwong (Kagoma),
22. Ham ( Jaba),
23. Hausa,
24. Jangi,
25. Kaibi,
26. Kahugu,
27. Kanufi,
28. Kigono,
29. Kinugu,
30. Kitimi,
31. Kiwafa,
32. Kiwollo,
33. Kono,
34. Kuvori (Surubu),
35. Kuturmi,
36. Tsam (Chawai)
37. Mada (Mardan)
38. Nandu,
39. Nduyah,
40. Numana,
41. Nindem,
42. Ningeshe,
43. Ninkyop,
44. Ninzo,
45. Nyenkpa (Yeskwa),
46. Oegworok,
47. Pikal,
48. Pitti,
49. Ribang,
50. Rishuwa,
51. Rumada,
52 Ruruma,
53. Rumayya,
54. Shemawa
55. Sholio (Marwa),
56. Siyawa
57. Takad,
58. Tarri, and
59. Lemoro * not sure,

What about you how many languages does your state has?

Nigeria our country...
Good evening fellow nairalanders,I have never had the cause to do something like this on Nl,but the urgency of the situation on ground has forced my will,please and please i need your support to procure medications and foot the hospital bills of a brilliant young girl I taught while I was serving in one of the northern states,the family can really not describe the ailment,but they have spent their all trying to save their daughter.it was when I visited my former PPA this week,that I discovered she has been seriously ill for a while now,she was one of my favorite students, then because she stood out as one of the best students in her class,please i just want us to donate the little we can as it ll go a long way to making her situation better,a total sum of 400k is needed,but whatever we can raise for her will go to her ,so at least something can be done at all,please let our little contributions ,help save her life,for some reasons and how gory the situation is ,I am not posting her pictures all donations should go to her account .Mohammed zainab 3176350308 first bank plc, Thanks and God bless you all

1 Like

Re: How many languages are in your state? by Ofunwa111: 4:54pm On Apr 17, 2021
SlayerForever:

You need help bro.

cheesy cheesy lol

1 Like

Re: How many languages are in your state? by easzypeaszy(m): 5:02pm On Apr 17, 2021
Kalatium:

Are you having difficulty understanding simple sentence?
Where did i say that Every state has 59 tribes.
u r not mature in ur response...why such words...I don't think I will like ppl like u am even angry I read dis bc u just spoil my day..if u r a lady u better go n change u don't have good manners
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Donaldomo(m): 5:15pm On Apr 17, 2021
How much of Edo do you know!?

Most people from Edo North are actually from Edo too. Tribal wars, quest for freedom from the taxes of then Oba of Benin and other factors made majority of these peoples to migrate from Edo South to most of their present location.

I am from Edo, I'm engrossed in the historical background of my people.

There are also non Edos inside the state. For example, Igarra in Akoko-Edo of Edo North is from Kogi state.

AreaFada2:

Actually Benins are called Edo. I still wonder why Edo was chosen as name of the State. May be it was politics, maybe calling it Benin State would imply Oba of Benin as the only monarch.

People of Edo South do not call themselves Benin (Bini that is totally wrong by the way as the palace has made clear many times). Since at least 1440 Edo South people have called themselves Edo. Benin City it was called Oredo.
The Europeans used Benin Kingdom or Benin Empire, Benin was for their convenience. In reality, Benin State should have been used because it covers far more people than people of Edo South. Before 1991, if you said "I am Edo or Ovbiedo", it meant you come from Edo South. Edo North and Central people didn't identify as Edo then. It might surprise many on Nairaland, as most were not born yet before 1991.

The other side of the coin is that knowingly or unknowingly, calling it Edo State actually narrows everyone more to being from Edo South.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How many languages are in your state? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Apr 17, 2021
Vinnie2000:

I am from Delta State and we have diz tribes n dialects in bracket...

*Urhobo (Uvwie)
*Urhobo (Okpe)
*Urhobo(Ughievwen)
*Urhobo(Ughelli/Abraka dialect..it's called Agbon or so)

*Ijaw (Igbe-ijoh/okerenkoko)
*Ijaw(Central, Bomadi/some Burutu towns e.g Ojobo, Okpokunou.. )
*Ijaw(Burutu e.g Ogulagha, Odimodi)

*Isoko

*Itsekiri

*Ika(Agbor pple)

*Ukwuani(Obiaruku n Umutu pple)

*Ndokwa (Kwale pple)

*Anioma(Asaba/Issele-ukwu pple)..It is this Group that is Closest to Igbo language because they re facing Onitsha in Anambra..

By the Way, who is d Guy in d first page misrepresenting Delta State?? sad

Go back to school because you are the one misrepresenting here.

The guy on frontpage grouped it very correctly than this petty rubbish u are grouping.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by paul100(m): 5:43pm On Apr 17, 2021
Vinnie2000:

Dats one of the biggest arguments currently going in Nigeria as per politics n also relating to Baifra..

Truly, Maybe Anioma(D Issele-ukwu, Asaba n Ogwuash-uwku) sometimes agree dat they are Igbo because they re somewhat closer to Onitsha, Anambra state..,

But Ika (Agbor ppl) and Ndokwa(Kwale) will tell you dat they re NEVER Igbos!!

Major Gen Leo Irabor(One of Buhari's newly appointed service chiefs) frm Ika says he IS NOT an Igbo man..

So Igbos should understand diz..U guys cannot force Dem..Am not from doz areas in Delta State, by d way..

Anioma is made up of more than those 3 places.I am from ubulu Okiti,15mins to Issele-ukwu.Where are you from?
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Kalatium(m): 5:47pm On Apr 17, 2021
Murrynmama:
Shut up Kaduna has only one tribe Hausa, any other thing is fake
if I call this one ignorant now he will be angry.

1 Like

Re: How many languages are in your state? by garfield1: 5:48pm On Apr 17, 2021
In cross river,we have three major languages with several ethnicities and dialects.

Let me attempt an lga by lga classification...

1) akamkpa:majorly ekoi

2) abi: bahumono and agbo

3) akpabuyo) efik and efut.

4) biase) ekoi

5) boki: boki

6) cal municipality: efik and qua

7) cal south) efik and efut

cool bekwarra: bekwarra.

9) obanliku; I dont know

10) obudu: bette, utugwang,alege and ubang

11) etung: I dont know

12) ogoja:mbube,bakor and ekajuk

13) obubra; mbembe,igbo,ekoi

14) yala: iyalla and ukelle.iyalla are a subtribe of idoma

15)ikom: I no sabi

16) odukpani; efik,qua and efut

17) yakurr: yako and agi

18) bakassi: efik and efut

1 Like

Re: How many languages are in your state? by Kalatium(m): 5:48pm On Apr 17, 2021
spiceadole:

Unnecessary division. All these tribes understand and speak HAUSA. Yes or Yes?
what is your problem with the north and hausa
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Kalatium(m): 5:49pm On Apr 17, 2021
totosucker:
these are not the only languages in Kaduna State. You didn't mention Kamuku and Gwari languages
all the languages are there they just have different names.
like gwari they are actually called gbagyi
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Kalatium(m): 5:51pm On Apr 17, 2021
so far I can see that the south are clueless about the north.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Vinnie2000(m): 5:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
paul100:

Anioma is made up of more than those 3 places.I am from ubulu Okiti,15mins to Issele-ukwu.Where are you from?

I stayed in Asaba for 7months n d peeps re Aniocha Oshimili n from I understand from the Guys I stayed with, we have 3 Igbo-related tribes in Delta State.......

Ndokwa (Kwale, Ashaka, Ogume areas, sb just told me Umutu n Obiaruku are part of it..)

Ika (Agbor, Igbodo, Umunede, Abavo,etc..)

While Anioma or Enuani (Idumudje-ugboko/uno, Issele-ukwu, Ogwuash-uwku, Asaba, Illah, Ibuza)

Ur town/village should be amongst d last group..

I am grouping Dem like dis 4 proper understanding of readers..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How many languages are in your state? by EbiJUNIRO(m): 5:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
Bayelsa
•Ijaw
•Epie
•Ogbia
Re: How many languages are in your state? by AreaFada2: 6:27pm On Apr 17, 2021
Donaldomo:
How much of Edo do you know!?

Most people from Edo North are actually from Edo too. Tribal wars, quest for freedom from the taxes of then Oba of Benin and other factors made majority of these peoples to migrate from Edo South to most of their present location.

I am from Edo, I'm engrossed in the historical background of my people.

There are also non Edos inside the state. For example, Igarra in Akoko-Edo of Edo North is from Kogi state.

Simple answer : nobody knows everything. But books on. Benin history were being written in my presence write early teens. I read them even before publication.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by shiishiluper: 6:28pm On Apr 17, 2021
Benue has:
Tiv,
Idoma,
Igede,
Itilo,
Utonkon and few other. Minorities.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by mdpeace(m): 6:46pm On Apr 17, 2021
Ahmed0336:
In Nasarawa State we have the following
1. Akwanga( Mada, Hausa, Eggon, Ninzo) 2. Awe ( Hausa, Fulani, Tiv, Eggon) 3. Doma ( Alago, Agatu, Eggon) 4. Nasarawa ( Gbagyi, Ebira, Aho, Bassa) 5 Nasarawa Eggon ( Eggon,) 6 Lafia ( Koro, Kambari, Eggon, Ekye, Gwandara, Rindre) 7. Obi ( Alago, Eggon, Tiv, Koro, Gwandara) 8. Keana ( Alago, Tiv, Gwandara) 9. Wamba( Rindre, Kantana, Ron Kulere, Ninzom, Buh, Arum) 10. Kokona ( Gwandara, Eggon, Mada) 11. Keffi ( Hausa, Fulani) 12. Karu ( Gbagyi, Yeskwa, Aho) 13. Toto ( Gbagyi, Nupe, Ebira)

boss, so nupe people day nasarawa, truly we learn new things everyday
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Sufferingboy(f): 7:07pm On Apr 17, 2021
Vinnie2000:

As I have answered d others, it is d pple demselves dat say they are not Igbos, particularly Ikas(Agbor pple) n Ndokwas(Kwale pple)..

If d Dein of Agbor (Monarch of d Ikas) travels abroad n someone calls him 'An Igbo man', dat would be the most offensive thing d person would be doing!!..

N I feel dey are Right!! Dier forefathers must have migrated from the Core Igbos towns to Delta State, changed a little bit of d language n culture..

Because even in Bayelsa, der is an Ethnic group (Epie or Nembe or so..) dat does not like being called Ijaws!! N dier language is almost similar to Ijaws, in same Bayelsa..

During my NYSC, one guy from bayelsa was so angry about this..

So let's respect d wishes of pple as regards religion n politics..

My Contribution.
The Obi of Agbor(Dein) is only king to Ikas of agbor clan,other clans have their own kings.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by yom2(m): 7:09pm On Apr 17, 2021
Kalatium:
It seems most of us do not know about other states in Nigeria. As such i want to use this arena for us to enumerate the languages in our respective states.

I noticed that most people down south assume that once you are from the North you are hausa (aboki) likewise those up north are ignorant of down south.

In case you don't know Kaduna State alone has about 60 languages alone. Names on the bracket is their alternative names.

KADUNA STATE
1. Atyap(kataf)
2. Akurmi(Kurama)
3. Anghan ( Kamanton)
4. Amo,
5. Aruruma(Ruruma)
6. Atachaat ( Kachechere),
7. Kadara(adara)
8. Atuku,
9. Ayu,
10. Bajju,
11. Bakulu/Ikulu
12. Bhazar/Koro
13. Bur (Sanga),
14. Binawa,
15. Dingi,
16. Fantswam,
17. Fulfulde ,
18. Gbagyi,
19. Gure,
20. Gwandara,
21. Gwong (Kagoma),
22. Ham ( Jaba),
23. Hausa,
24. Jangi,
25. Kaibi,
26. Kahugu,
27. Kanufi,
28. Kigono,
29. Kinugu,
30. Kitimi,
31. Kiwafa,
32. Kiwollo,
33. Kono,
34. Kuvori (Surubu),
35. Kuturmi,
36. Tsam (Chawai)
37. Mada (Mardan)
38. Nandu,
39. Nduyah,
40. Numana,
41. Nindem,
42. Ningeshe,
43. Ninkyop,
44. Ninzo,
45. Nyenkpa (Yeskwa),
46. Oegworok,
47. Pikal,
48. Pitti,
49. Ribang,
50. Rishuwa,
51. Rumada,
52 Ruruma,
53. Rumayya,
54. Shemawa
55. Sholio (Marwa),
56. Siyawa
57. Takad,
58. Tarri, and
59. Lemoro * not sure,

What about you how many languages does your state has?

are u sure they are all distinct languages or some are dialects cos some times people mix these two up
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Seebrian(m): 7:18pm On Apr 17, 2021
Taraba state has the highest different tribes in Nigeria. close to three hundred tribes. With Jukun tribes the dominant. From Wapan, kuteb, ichen, Bachama, kpanzo, Kona, etc.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Ahmed0336(m): 7:33pm On Apr 17, 2021
mdpeace:

boss, so nupe people day nasarawa, truly we learn new things everyday
Dem dey o. Even in the state capital the have Angwan Nupawa
Re: How many languages are in your state? by mdpeace(m): 7:37pm On Apr 17, 2021
Ahmed0336:

Dem dey o. Even in the state capital the have Angwan Nupawa
wow, but are they indigenes or work brought them from Niger, kwara and kogi?
Re: How many languages are in your state? by somehow: 7:38pm On Apr 17, 2021
AreaFada2:

The bolded is only partly correct. The Portuguese called it Beny by 1473. By 1553 when the British came they called it Benin. Actually it was coastal subjects in Delta who told the Portuguese that the overload/King of Ubini was in the interior. By the 1470s, the former tentative name Ubini had been replaced by Edo decades earlier. It was renamed Edo in 1440 by Oba Ewuare I to honour Edo, a brave executed servant who had saved his life as a prince because the tussle for the crown had turned deadly. Fact is Ubini or Ile-Ubini was never really accepted by Benin people as a name. It was a name outsiders called Igodomigodo.
Today, Urhobo call Benin Aka, Igbo call it Idu, etc. Although both have known good historical reasons to refer to Benin as Aka and Idu but Benin/Edo people do not call themselves such. Yoruba even call it Ado.

Idu was the founder of Edo/Benin nation. Igodomigodo was the real first name Edo/Benin called themselves. The Second self-given name (by Oba Ewuare I) was Edo. Ubini/Beny/Benin or whatever variations was NOT given to Igodo/Edo people by themselves and thus never used in Edo Language. There is no Ovbie Benin or Ovbie Bini. It is Ovbiedo. It was previously Ovbie Igodo. Since Benin became known worldwide as an Empire, for easy recognition sake, Benin is preferred, not Bini. None of the two is indigenous to Edo people anyway.

I hope this clarifies it better.

So the original name is Igodomigodo and outsiders came to give us a name which we gladly accepted?

Africans!

Who did this to us?
Re: How many languages are in your state? by somehow: 7:44pm On Apr 17, 2021
Daum:

Edo language
Hausa people speak Hausa language

There are other people within the state called Edo, so you can't say Edo language knowing fully well that there are more than one language in Edo state IMHO.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by lordfalcao(m): 8:03pm On Apr 17, 2021
Albert0011:

I rep ukwuani...Umutu precisely
We and Ndokwa speak and understand each other very well...we are all The same.
albertoooo
Re: How many languages are in your state? by dammypat(f): 8:09pm On Apr 17, 2021
Sammy07:
My state only has two.

Ondo state

Yoruba and Ijaw

So na Yoruba all those, Akoko with different dialects(a form of language), Owo, Ondo, Akure,Idanre e.t.c in Ondo State dey speak abi?
People who speak pure Yoruba are the Oyo,Osun, even some part of these states I mentioned have their dialect(a form of language) e.g Ife dialect sounds like Akure or Ekiti dialect
Guy language plenty for Ondo state o, I am from one of the town in Akoko and we are well known for diverse language in that part of Ondo state
Yoruba is just a general language for we the Yorubas.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by oyatainer(m): 8:14pm On Apr 17, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Igbo states are the most unified in terms of languages because we speak and understand only one language; money.

If you study Linguistics, you wouldn't have said this. Igbo are yet to have a singular Central or Standard Language till now.

Re: How many languages are in your state? by AreaFada2: 8:17pm On Apr 17, 2021
somehow:

So the original name is Igodomigodo and outsiders came to give us a name which we gladly accepted?

Africans!

Who did this to us?
Well, today Nigeria means Niger Area. Niger is from Nigro meaning Black.

Nigeria = Black Area. The British gave it to us. So no wonder even NEPA gives us blackness. grin

Countries like Ghana changed from Gold Coast, Upper Volta to Burkina Faso, Dahomey sought permission of Oba of Benin to rename their country Republic of Benin. But Giant of Africa could not change from Niggar area. grin

At least in Benin, there is Ivbiedo (plural for Edo people) or Edo that people call themselves. Nigeria has no such indigenous alternative.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by Oshokalo: 8:23pm On Apr 17, 2021
Edo has 17 languages,go ague with google
Re: How many languages are in your state? by AreaFada2: 8:28pm On Apr 17, 2021
dammypat:

So na Yoruba all those, Akoko with different dialects(a form of language), Owo, Ondo, Akure,Idanre e.t.c in Ondo State dey speak abi?
People who speak pure Yoruba are the Oyo,Osun, even some part of these states I mentioned have their dialect(a form of language) e.g Ife dialect sounds like Akure or Ekiti dialect
Guy language plenty for Ondo state o, I am from one of the town in Akoko and we are well known for diverse language in that part of Ondo state
Yoruba is just a general language for we the Yorubas.
Thank God you are pointing this out. If I did, they won't believe me.
Some people nor know anything o.
We have related languages in Edo and Delta that are same as some Ondo languages. I mean same, not just similar. But because people don't travel well or observe properly, they know very little.
Or perhaps just blinded and deafened by tribalism that they cannot see or hear.

You are correct, Ife Yoruba is even fairly closer to some Ondo dialects.

1 Like

Re: How many languages are in your state? by BinamRex: 8:31pm On Apr 17, 2021
ijawcitizen:
I believe most of these tribes are just clans, sections, towns or dialects of a larger ethnic group.

With proper ethnic grouping, the tribes in Kaduna may not be up to 10.

Take it from me, the languages are not related in any way. The tribes are not dialects of a larger ethnic group.
Re: How many languages are in your state? by somehow: 8:36pm On Apr 17, 2021
AreaFada2:

Well, today Nigeria means Niger Area. Niger is from Nigro meaning Black.

Nigeria = Black Area. The British gave it to us. So no wonder even NEPA gives us blackness. grin

Countries like Ghana changed from Gold Coast, Upper Volta to Burkina Faso, Dahomey sought permission of Oba of Benin to rename their country Republic of Benin. But Giant of Africa could not change from Niggar area. grin

At least in Benin, there is Ivbiedo (plural for Edo people) or Edo that people call themselves. Nigeria has no such indigenous alternative.

At least there was nothing like Nigeria before it was named unlike the Igodomigodo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

32 Crowned Obas In Ibadan Is Just A Joke Carried Too Far — Olubadan / 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan / Emir Sanusi: "If You Don't Have Money, Don't Give Birth To Many Children"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.