Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,312 members, 7,780,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:15 PM

Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? (33506 Views)

Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? / Nigerians Spent ₦4.6 Trillion Eating Out In 2019 / NAFDAC Warns Against Eating Fruits Ripened With Calcium Carbide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 12:11am On Mar 18, 2021
descarado:

It is very expensive cooking Nigerian dishes outside Nigeria.
We cook with beef anyhow in Nigeria.
Beef is the most expensive meat in most developed countries.

It's cheap in Nigeria cos herders don't pay anything for rearing their cows in Nigeria. Just enter any farm and take over. Coward south

Waoh! That's new.

So what's the cheapest & healthiest source of protein there? Always thought fish was costlier than beef there ooo
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 12:17am On Mar 18, 2021
pocohantas:

Bulk cooking/shopping is good, but we know how expensive it is to do these things in bulk. Do you know 5l of Gino vegetable oil is about 5k now? Check cost of other things. What is the minimum wage again? Then we add electricity bills. When you cook and buy things in bulk, your next challenge is preserving them. You would have to be running generator to keep the freezer powered. It is not a straight line in Nigeria o. The variables that would want to kill your career plenty. grin

I am not into chicken, more of a turkey person.

I prefer buying palm oil instead. I can use it for a variety of meals, as opposed to vegetable oil.

Between chicken and turkey, which one cheap pass, and they healthiest?
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 12:24am On Mar 18, 2021
pozehnani:

Whether in bulk or retail, it's not cheaper. Trust me.

I go to oyinbgo sometimes to buy in bulk but most times after comparing to the retail price, the difference is not much plus the fare you spend to and fro the market. Same same.

Should you decide to go into the business of selling food, you'll realize it's way cheaper.

If it wasn't most Mama Puts won't be able to send their kids to school till graduation.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 7:56am On Mar 18, 2021
seanwilliam:
For a single mouth , it is cheaper eating outside..

I eat outside in the morning then I cook indomie or bread or ask my girlfriend to bring food for night

I spent atleast 2k on food daily..
Me I like to dey chop better thing o.. I no fit kill myself

E no easy

With that 2k daily you go prepare meals that are better than the best sef. It's all about interest, proper planning and execution.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 7:58am On Mar 18, 2021
Starcrest1:

Learn how to read egbon. It's twice weekly.

I even used rice because it's way costlier than preparing eba and soup.

Ciao.

You mean preparing rice is costlier than Eba & soup? Waoh never knew...
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 8:04am On Mar 18, 2021
yongg:

Lols.

26.4% off for the joy of cooking(with love) ain't enough to convince this guy. grin

I understand... sometimes the heat, the running around and time spent for preparation, cooking etc isn't worth it. But you get to experiment with the different combos you always wanted to try... which you may not be able to influence in a public eatery among other perks like quantity control etc.

Well else, be prepared to deaden your taste buds once in a while, well more than once in a while as my experience has been that not all people can cook that good but they would be something they might be good in making that save the combo. For me, it has been the cripsyness of the hide (kpomo), at other places the turkey absolutely save the insipid(I know this adjective is for drinks but go figure, lols grin) rice.

You got me on this one.

Even if Cooking at home is more expensive than eating outside, I'll still cook at home!

That joy of creating something yourself cannot be bought in Iya Basira food canteen...

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 8:14am On Mar 18, 2021
Darkseid:
I'd rather starve than to eat outside, I can't even stand the thought of eating outside. For over four years now, I've only eaten home cooked foods and I'm not planning to stop anytime soon. I buy everything in bulk: rice, beans, dry fish etc and while it may cost much in the beginning, it pays better in the long run; I currently have more than seven different kinds of foods in my freezer and everything is cooked the way I want it to be.

Most of my friends spend an average of ₦1,500 per day to eat tiny food while my whole food budget for the week is just 2k and the 2k is mainly for vegetables and meat. Nothing sweet pass to relax inside your house chop better food grin grin

Abeg you fit list the kinds of food in your fridge? Let me see if I fit spice up my inventory of meals.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by pocohantas(f): 8:19am On Mar 18, 2021
lebete3000:

I prefer buying palm oil instead. I can use it for a variety of meals, as opposed to vegetable oil.

Between chicken and turkey, which one cheap pass, and they healthiest?

Turkey is healthier because it has less calories. It is also more expensive, always been more expensive. About N200-300 difference (per kg).

Lol. Nice one at buying just palm oil. Never thought of it that way.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 8:22am On Mar 18, 2021
sparko1:

Not cheaper, just healthier.

I spend about 40,000 per month on feeding, while someone can use 30,000 if he buys out.

Monthly expenses
1. Semo 4,000
2. Rice 3000
3. Beans 1000
4. Cooking soup and stew 8,000
5. Fish 6000
7. Meat 12,000
8. breavage 6000

Total: 40,000

Is this expenditure for you alone or an extra mouth inclusive? I'm trying to see if I can live like a corper on 35k minimum allowee grin
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 8:25am On Mar 18, 2021
pocohantas:

Turkey is healthier because it has less calories. It is also more expensive, always been more expensive. About N200-300 difference.

Lol. Nice one at buying just palm oil. Never thought of it that way.

Yeah, most of the youtube videos I learn cooking African dishes from, especially Flo Chinyere, use palm oil to cook. Even ordinary tomato stew sef, she uses palm oil.

The only thing I think I can use vegetable oil for is to fry eggs, as I don't fry my meat or fish, I just boil and use together with meals to reduce my oil intake.

Even at that, I can't remember the last time I fried eggs, I mostly use it for toast bread instead, if I crave it.

Never knew Turkey was costlier though. The popularity of chicken made me think otherwise. Would see if I can switch to if if it's tastier than chicken, the same way I switched from beef to goatmeat cos of the latter's distinct flavor...
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by pocohantas(f): 8:38am On Mar 18, 2021
lebete3000:

Yeah, most of the youtube videos I learn cooking African dishes from, especially Flo Chinyere uses palm oil to cook. Even ordinary tomato stew sef, she uses palm oil.

The only thing I think I can use vegetable oil for is to fry eggs, as I don't fry my meat or fish, I just boil and use together with meals to reduce my oil intake.

Even at that, I can't remember the last time I fried eggs, I mostly use it for toast bread instead, if I crave it.

You are funny. I have palm oil, vegetable oil and olive oil. Depends on what I am cooking, but I hardly ever use palm oil for my stew, except it is buka stew. I have also learnt that some cooks use what is suitable for their health/husbands/kids or family. E no mean say e go too sweet for your own mouth. grin

lebete3000:

Everybody get wetin dey tickle their tastebud. For me palm oil does it best, you sef mentioned it in relation to "buka stew", which is made to be sweet and attractive so more customers can patronise.

Na the meat dey attract us pass o.

Anyway, you are right. Tastebuds differ.

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 8:48am On Mar 18, 2021
pocohantas:

You are funny. I have palm oil, vegetable oil and olive oil. Depends on what I am cooking, but I hardly ever use palm oil for my stew, except it is buka stew. I have also learnt that some cooks use what is suitable for their health/husbands/kids or family. E no mean say e go too sweet for your own mouth. grin

Everybody get wetin dey tickle their tastebud. For me palm oil does it best, you sef mentioned it in relation to "buka stew", which is made to be sweet and attractive so more customers can patronise.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Mar 18, 2021
The major reason i hardly eat out is because of my health. My stomach dey quick revolt. I don't trust the environment of these public kitchens, their cooking hygiene etc its mostly fuckedup. Even the so called big names. I was hospitalized recently because of laziness to cook make i run fast food naim fast food run me las las.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by seanwilliam(m): 1:09pm On Mar 18, 2021
lebete3000:

With that 2k daily you go prepare meals that are better than the best sef. It's all about interest, proper planning and execution.

Lol the wahala nko? To Dey go market , carrying bike upandan to buy stuffs, to Dey cook nko? See this bro, u think say cooking Dey easy ? Anything wey past make I cook indomie Dey tire me jare.. if i had a car, I would have be going to market grin
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 2:17pm On Mar 18, 2021
seanwilliam:

Lol the wahala nko? To Dey go market , carrying bike upandan to buy stuffs, to Dey cook nko? See this bro, u think say cooking Dey easy ? Anything wey past make I cook indomie Dey tire me jare.. if i had a car, I would have be going to market grin

Well you're simply not ready to eat right then.

Nothing good comes easy.

You just try cooking by yourself for a month, and see the difference not only in your finances even, but your general health. If you no see difference feel free to call me whatever you like.

Except you no sabi cook, na hin fit discourage you; and besides there are tonnes of youtube videos ready to teach you any recipe your tastebuds so crave for.

Just relocated few weeks ago and can't wait for my luggage to land via NIPOST. Everyday I pass through the market and see different groceries, my mind just starts to conjecture all the abracadabra I'll perform in the kitchen when I finally settle.

Cooking is stressful only to people who don't enjoy what they cook. The thought of relishing that sumptuous delicacy can even make you persevere in the kitchen for 5hours till you reach the promised land.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by seanwilliam(m): 2:28pm On Mar 18, 2021
lebete3000:

Well you're simply not ready to eat right then.

Nothing good comes easy.
truthfully you’re right.. anyway my girlfriend brings cooked food for me in the evening though . But now she don go back her school.. I’m really suffering cry if I enter kitchen like this naso so I go Dey sweat and sneeze . Worst thing be say na that time I go Dey get business messages to attend too grin

Wahala for who never married .. ironically I still Dey fear to camp a lady to Dey cook for me.. bro e b things o grin
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by sparko1(m): 3:03pm On Mar 18, 2021
lebete3000:

Is this expenditure for you alone or an extra mouth inclusive? I'm trying to see if I can live like a corper on 35k minimum allowee grin

Me alone, drinks and wine not inclusive, when you add about 5k or 10k for that, it will be 50k, but as a corper, you have to cut some cost, the meat, the drinks, or you eat out. I can't, I have a big apatite, to satisfy me, I will spend at least 1k to 1.5k per meal.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by lebete3000: 3:17pm On Mar 18, 2021
sparko1:

Me alone, drinks and wine not inclusive, when you add about 5k or 10k for that, it will be 50k, but as a corper, you have to cut some cost, the meat, the drinks, or you eat out. I can't, I have a big apatite, to satisfy me, I will spend at least 1k to 1.5k per meal.

I'm not a corper though. I'm just tryna see if I can live on a Corper's minimum wage for a trial.

I have a monthly target I'm trying to achieve, and removing 35k would round it off to a suitable figure.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Collins4444: 7:17pm On Mar 19, 2021
Please anyone in need of *Melon (egusi), peeled and Unpeeled
*Maize (white and yellow)
*Soya beans
*Irish potatoes
*sweet potatoes
*Carrots
*Strawberry
*Cabbage *Zobo leaves
*Onions and other items,
Are available at affordable prices. Reach me on 08164195788
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Collins4444: 10:08pm On Mar 31, 2021
Please anyone in need of *Melon ( egusi), peeled and Unpeeled *Maize (white and yellow) *Soya beans *Irish potatoes *sweet potatoes *Carrots *Strawberry *Cabbage *Zobo leaves *Onions and other items, Are available at affordable prices. Reach me on 08164195788
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by ladychioma: 11:27am On May 03, 2021
Collins4444:
Please anyone in need of *Melon ( egusi), peeled and Unpeeled
*Soya beans
*Irish potatoes
*sweet potatoes
*Carrots
*Strawberry
*Cabbage *Zobo leaves
*Onions and other items,
Where is your location ?
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Collins4444: 1:45pm On Jan 12, 2022
STILL IN THE BUSINESS
Please anyone in need of *Melon (Egusi), peeled and Unpeeled
*Soya beans
*Irish potatoes
*sweet potatoes
*Carrots
*Strawberry
*Cabbage *Zobo leaves
*Onions and other items,
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by AlphaTaikun: 3:49pm On Aug 07, 2022
pocohantas:
I will say it depends on the quantity and quality of the food. There is this place I buy afang soup, they sell a small takeaway plate @ about N4500. With delivery is approx N5500. Now would I not cook a good pot of afang soup of about 1l with N4500 and eat it many times? That is assuming I have the basic ingredients sha.

For me, I also consider the energy and time involved- that is what makes it expensive to always cook at home. Sometimes I just order out to save myself stress abeg.

Anyway, I noticed na poor people chop outside pass o. Whenever I am braiding my hair in those roadsides hairdressers, I will watch the woman buy N100 rice for her kids.

We should also consider the fact that many Nigerians do not have bulk money to use and cook a single meal. Soup wey them no even get light/refrigerator to preserve.

I think it is healthier, but not always cheaper.
Insightful convo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Catches Big Python In Delta, Butchers It For Pepper Soup (Photos) / 4 Ways Nigerians Are Endangering Their Lives With Food They Eat / My Healthy Chicken Curry Sauce With Vegetables (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.