Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,860 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days (39266 Views)

Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? / Feminists Agree They Won’t Change Their Surname To Their Husband's Name / Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by angelfallz(m): 11:53am On Feb 04, 2021
Very true
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Tedpgrass: 11:56am On Feb 04, 2021
Princedapace:

Changing of name is not hectic for a lady who knows what she wants and loves her husband grin

Oga,

How does change of name equate to demonstration of love??

*****whistling off-- stirring up the pot!!! *****

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by dangotesmummy: 12:08pm On Feb 04, 2021
zeeatallied:
Nigeria has been going backwards since 1960...argue with your keyboard

Meanwhile who the hell needs a name change when you are not processing your getaway visa?

SMH
Nigerians always fond of majoring in non essentials

Naija matter infact Henn.smh

1 Like

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by dangotesmummy: 12:10pm On Feb 04, 2021
Chii59:

What a juvenile attempt at shifting the goalpost. Rest!
don't be surprised if he's still a teenager and collecting pocket money from his parents
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by simpa99(m): 12:15pm On Feb 04, 2021
When we say Islam forbids a woman from changing her surname due to marriage people reject it..but now when they see the numerous disadvantages they accept it with ease..
Same as when Sunni Muslims raise their pants above their ankles they see it as wrong but when it turned to a fashion trend they see nothing wrong with it..
Same as keeping the beard and so on..
Study islaam well today with an unbias sincere mind and Allaah shall guide your to the right path..

1 Like

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by alizma: 12:16pm On Feb 04, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
A Typical Average Nigerian Person doesn't like Stress..
Now, imagine A Typical Average Nigerian Lady!!
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
And when somebody call laziness after their name, all hell will be let loose. Nothing is difficult in changing name. Go to court and swear affidavit, then proceed to make it public in any of the national dailies accessible to you.
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by bukatyne(f): 12:19pm On Feb 04, 2021
Acidosis:
Used to like the idea but right now, I can't be bothered. Asides the stress you go through, a change of name would not change anything. People would still address you as Mrs (your husband's name) whether you do a newspaper publication or not (not like anyone is going to read it anyway). The fact is that a change of name would make zero impact outside few paper works.

The main and critical documents such as your wife's certificates/documents from birth, even your marriage certificate, would reflect her dad's name. So what's the point? Bank? grin

However, for aesthetic purposes (e.g. to share same name with the children), a family may decide to consider a change of name.

It depends on the age the wife married.

A woman who marries younger would find it harder to navigate official life if she doesn't change her name.

Genevieve Nnaji can swing not changing her name officially because she is made and has a lot of stuff in her maiden name. I am sure she has built all the needs to at this age and has all the identifications required.

You are right that every married woman is automatically her husband's Mrs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by MrNipplesLover(m): 12:20pm On Feb 04, 2021
Change of name no go work in this country again.

The system is too rigid and it's even baseless.

The entire Nigerian government and the system are all crap.

Nothing in this country is working or progressive.
It only disrupts the system that's only manageable before.

Backward country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by daveemuobo(m): 12:26pm On Feb 04, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
The Argument In This Write-up Is Very Valid.
So Please, Stop Blaming The Ladies.
They Are Willing, But The Process Is Stressful.
Blame The Crippled System.!!

this is a terribly flawed stand. You don't need to perform a name change for all your documents as OP stated
That is why newspaper publications tell you that other documents with former names remain valid.
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2021
omonighoblessing:
I am currently facing this problem right now... I have done the affidavit, I have done the news paper publication, I went to nin to do my registration and nin is saying that the bank has to change my name first on my bvn before I use that name unless I use my maiden name. And the bank is saying get the new name from the nin then we change it. Just imagine the fix I am in
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Lexusgs430: 12:41pm On Feb 04, 2021
Regardless of certain limitations, changing of names is usually NEVER required........

Does changing the name, change the human being?....

1 Like

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by BluntCrazeMan: 12:42pm On Feb 04, 2021
NoToPile:
I have walked the walk it took me more than 6 months.

My eye saw wheen, GTB was using me to play ping pong because of BVN change.

First swear affidavit
Newspaper
NIMC - this one took less than a week for the change to be effected paid 1k charges.

After NIMC came out took it to the bank as a valid ID containing the new name, thats where wahala start. BVN change, they frustrated me to the extent that I had to carry my little baby to the
Bank.

Everything is so stressful in this country.
So Sorry My Dear.
This is what the whole thing had turned out system into.

1 Like

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 04, 2021
They don't need to. It makes no difference to the husband's status whether his wife (wives) bear his name or not. That is a European tradition adopted by Africans with inferiority complexes.

1 Like

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Princedapace(m): 12:50pm On Feb 04, 2021
Tedpgrass:

Oga,

How does change of name equate to demonstration of love??

*****whistling off-- stirring up the pot!!! *****

How does doing wedding equate to love?

If u don't Wana see what I'm saying forget it.

If the man loves it, do it for him. He also went thru stress marrying u. Everything must not be stress free. There are some stress we must go through for the sake of who will love.

If I'm to choose, marriage list and all that stuff, I wouldn't want to do it. But for the sake of the woman we love, some men even end up doing wedding they don't desire.
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by BluntCrazeMan: 12:59pm On Feb 04, 2021
alizma:

And when somebody call laziness after their name, all hell will be let loose. Nothing is difficult in changing name. Go to court and swear affidavit, then proceed to make it public in any of the national dailies accessible to you.
You forgot that this is Nigeria..
These two things are not enough, and will never ever be enough.
Trust me,, BVN and NIN had changed a lot of things.
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by BluntCrazeMan: 1:05pm On Feb 04, 2021
daveemuobo:

this is a terribly flawed stand. You don't need to perform a name change for all your documents as OP stated
That is why newspaper publications tell you that other documents with former names remain valid.
If you are a Government-Employed Civil Servant, you will understand how easy or hard the Change-Of-Name Process Is.

1 Like

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Lightorder: 1:08pm On Feb 04, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
The Argument In This Write-up Is Very Valid.
So Please, Stop Blaming The Ladies.
They Are Willing, But The Process Is Stressful.
Blame The Crippled System.!!
I didn’t need to shout about it. When it got real, she went through all and changed it. Don’t just like those mixture

1 Like

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by excellencyabia1: 1:11pm On Feb 04, 2021
I did that of my wife (change of name and news paper publication) it wasn't that difficult but ( because I had an insider) just two days but that of NIN and bank is an issue especially when the bank know that they can use it and toss you around

2 Likes

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by capitalzero: 1:18pm On Feb 04, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
A Typical Average Nigerian Person doesn't like Stress..
Now, imagine A Typical Average Nigerian Lady!!
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Some stress are not necessary. Some of these things can be done online.

1 Like

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Lightorder: 1:19pm On Feb 04, 2021
Cutehector:
if i can go through the stress of paying Her bride price, TF should she be lazy to change her name

I will not tolerate a lousy wife.
don’t mind them. I only see ladies dragging their dad’s names along as a hold that would make it lot easier to move on when their marriage fail, un-noticed. Get the divorce, delete the surfix and no one would notice that it happened. I am of the opinion that you either take my full name or your full maiden name, simple
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by NoToPile: 1:31pm On Feb 04, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
So Sorry My Dear.
This is what the whole thing had turned out system into.

I actually don't blame those who can't go through the stress, it was annoyingly frustrating .

The BVN was the most annoying of all, Nimc was easier back then I just paid remitta submitted the affidavit and newspaper, it was updated that day and I was told a week and the slip containing the new name was was gotten the next week I had an insider ooo .

Simple things are complicated in this country

2 Likes

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by cooooooks(m): 1:36pm On Feb 04, 2021
In most of the world, including Nigeria, change of name is entirely voluntary.

Where I live, change of name is actually not allowed legally. You can use your husband's name for your personal use or as an alias. However, all legal docs will bear your own name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Realguyman1(m): 1:56pm On Feb 04, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
It is because most of the men they are married to are average or poor men.

I haven't seen a woman married to an influential family complaining about the stress of change of name.
You said it all.....

1 Like

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Cutehector(m): 2:13pm On Feb 04, 2021
Lightorder:
don’t mind them. I only see ladies dragging their dad’s names along as a hold that would make it lot easier to move on when their marriage fail, un-noticed. Get the divorce, delete the surfix and no one would notice that it happened. I am of the opinion that you either take my full name or your full maiden name, simple
gbam.

1 Like

Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 04, 2021
I don’t mind Keith sweat voice
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by Codyt(m): 2:40pm On Feb 04, 2021
bukatyne:
OP,

You are right and it would get worse.

We need a central database for name change.

If you get married now, you change your name at the bank you did the BVN and advise other banks, change your name at NIN, Tax office, passport, work/school, voter's card etc.

We copied the West in means of identification, we did not copy their centralized database embarassed
This!!!
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by WoundedLamb: 2:53pm On Feb 04, 2021
The Nigerian population is naturally inclined to side the man. When news are shares portraying women as the bad ones, we swallow it sans doute and shout "fear women", but when it's against a man, we try to water down the crime or even find a way to blame the victim. The truth is, the fact that she's asking for her school fees doesn't invalidate her claim. Let's not concentrate on the minor things and leave the major allegation. Even the surname change request whether granted or denied is inconsequential in comparison with the actual allegation which is a very heavy one. For the possibility that she could be telling the truth, I think it's mean of anyone to brush her story aside just cause of her demands. Those shouting "fear women" are already wired to scream that regardless of the situation.

Nevertheless, if she's not being honest, she won't only regret it some day but will also hate her mum for it.
Re: Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days by nan1: 2:57pm On Feb 04, 2021
i will advice every lady never change your names on your official documents just change on social media, church or social gatherings.

my ear saw the back of my head when i ignorantly did mine i still regret it till date. cos im still affected in a lot of ways

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos From Lalasticlala's Daughter's Birthday Party / Would You Go To An Ex's Wedding? / Why We Cheat On Our Spouses – Abuja Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.