Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime (42894 Views)

Black Women Hairstyles 2023 | Simple BRAIDED Hairstyles | Quick Braids Hairstyle / Unique Braiding Hair Hairstyles For Black Women | Hairstyles For Women / Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by robosky02(m): 9:14am On Feb 05, 2021

How Nigerian women's hairstyles have evolved overtime

The head is the crown of every woman and unlike the male species, in Nigeria, it is often demanded a woman grows her hair to portray her femininity. Once upon a time, Nigerian women treasured matting (also known as didi adimole) their hair. Then, such simple hairstyle was all a man needed to see and he knew he was privileged to walk by a lady.

However, what was accepted in the 90s is found repulsive by women of the present generation. Interestingly, women have attempted to appear more beautiful with each passing generation, their efforts have recorded a huge change in the standard of beauty women now adhere to.

Although most of this change is perpetuated by the media, women have willingly submitted to the impossible demands of set fashion rules that these days are considered unrealistic and unattainable.

Most Nigerian women have a certain texture of hair and in those days, they will endure hours of pain just to achieve a certain look which they considered beautiful.

Beauty means a lot of things. Legit.ng will like to take you on a journey of how Nigerian women's hairstyles have evolved overtime.

The hair of a woman often said to be her crown that portrays her glory and the way it is styled tells a lot. Apart from her skin colour, the African woman’s hairstyle was what was used to differentiate her from the multitude of women around the world.

The creativeness of the the African woman was expressed most times in her hairstyles. So many hairstyles which include “Kolese”, “clap your hands”, “patewo”, “Fulani hairstyles”, “suku” and threaded hair were the trend in the 90’s.

Fashion in this era was completely different from what it is known now. Women took pride in dressing modesty. Ladies would proudly rock low hair cuts or simply leave their hair to grow and style it nicely with hair accessories. The married women however operated differently, they would weave their hair and tie scarves to cover what they believed only their husband should see.

The hair extension period where every woman wanted her hair longer Source: Blackpride Due to the creation of the world wide web and advancement of technology, Nigerian women had a larger screen than their immediate environment. As the world became a global village, women got exposed to the foreign fashion and lifestyle.

While they still adores their mode of dressing, it became necessary to adopt a new style just to keep up with perceived beauty standards. In the new millennium women soon wanted their hair longer as displayed on TV. Many would spend hundreds of naira to purchase hair extensions and get to creating a style that had a splatter of foreign in it.

In no time, all women adopted the new style and could almost go no where without adding hair extensions to their hair. They would braid it all manner of styles using the what is popularly known as attachments.

It was also the period women craved a different texture of hair. They would use chemicals to flatten and straighten their hair, just to look more like the foreign women they were now being exposed to on TV.

In fact, with the wake of the world wide web, many Nigerian women misplaced their identity and in a bid to catch up with fashion trends and demands wholly accepted a new definition of beauty, forgetting easily, their roots.

The Brazilian hair epidermic. Nigerian women have quickly forgotten their roots and now basically worship horse hair or "human" hair. Not giving a care in the world where the hair came from, ladies will spend thousands to millions just to buy a foreign hair and comfortably shield their crown with such

. Not only was the hair outrageously expensive, its texture was completely different from the authentic African texture. In no time, manufacturers created even more long-term harmful chemicals and convinced women it was the best way to achieve the texture they desired.

Women would proudly rock these hairstyles and even feel confident doing so. Left with no choice, men accepted it as the in thing and some would look down on ladies who stuck to their roots. Read more: https://www.legit.ng/1170057-how-nigerian-womens-hairstyles-evolved-overtime.html

Until recently, Nigerian women have started embracing their roots once again. Many ladies have been seen to boycott relaxers and hair texturisers in order to bring back their afro goodness. This is certainly bad news for companies who have made a fortune off exploiting the insecurities of millions of women across Nigeria.

However, history always repeats itself and these days, many women are now proudly rocking their afro and getting creative with styles. There's no saying how long this trend will last but one can only hope it continues and maybe even usher African women back to themselves.

https://www.legit.ng/1170057-how-nigerian-womens-hairstyles-evolved-overtime.html

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Osebanjo(m): 9:19am On Feb 05, 2021
Haha. From shuku to snake under the carpet to ghana weavon to brazilian hair, and now to bone marrow or whatever. Queens.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by robosky02(m): 9:22am On Feb 05, 2021
Osebanjo:
Haha. From shuku to snake under the carpet to ghana weavon to brazilian hair, and now to bone marrow or whatever. Queens.

The evolution of sley Queen's...

8 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Osebanjo(m): 9:25am On Feb 05, 2021
robosky02:

The evolution of sley Queen's...
Slay queens? I wouldn't say that though. Just queens like Queens to Kings, that's all i meant. Great evolution though. Human hair seems to be the best of it. They mostly look superb in it, and many on weavons.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by slawormiir: 9:57am On Feb 05, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright . .....women too get wahalar.....
We real niggarrrrs go dey save money for something reasonable like paying of house bill, weed, alcohol...booking runs babe and buying lexus and benz

While dey will be saving their money for unreasonable things like mixing of expensive creams and organics, buying all types of weavon....plaiting chuku, braiding, Ghana weaving, Bob Marley, thread, Twisting, Rihanna
Fixing eye lash....buying make up tools and box....fixing nails...even the one that shows light in the night...they buy same dress, bags and slippers of different color

Even my house here is littered and scattered with weavon from my baby sisters

69 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by ihateniggov1: 9:58am On Feb 05, 2021
Okay..

Meanwhile here is a rare picture of a Fulani herdsman in Ogun state when he hears his neighbor saying Sunday Igboho is around grin grin grin

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Tonymegabush1(m): 9:59am On Feb 05, 2021
U no put wig But ladies dey try chaa imagine sitting in one place plaiting hair 4rm morning till evening sometime till nite fall. Me on a barbers sit more than 20mins I don tire

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Barbsamiin: 9:59am On Feb 05, 2021
Wow
Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by whytediamond(m): 9:59am On Feb 05, 2021
What about the dyed hairs. Different colours on low cut

27 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Ellasure: 9:59am On Feb 05, 2021
Editor, you woke up on right side today. Good memories and a way to modernity.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by airsaylongcome: 9:59am On Feb 05, 2021
Inpritevem:
ghana weavon to brazilian hair, and now to bone marrow or whatever. Queens.

These Chinese bots are improving

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Mogajunior(m): 10:00am On Feb 05, 2021
cool
Everything about women is complicated.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Hamzatgodfirst(m): 10:00am On Feb 05, 2021
Great evolution... Although many still look like monkeys in it wink cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by iampeterben(m): 10:00am On Feb 05, 2021
Ladies over to you, have no comment on this...
Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by robosky02(m): 10:00am On Feb 05, 2021
Our mothers try

6 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 05, 2021
Nice
Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by FatherCHRISTMAS: 10:03am On Feb 05, 2021
so true
Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Racoon(m): 10:04am On Feb 05, 2021
Gone are those good old days we remember with utter nostalgia how women adorn beautiful hairdos.The "All Back", "Shuku" "Orishabunmi" .........where are the ladies wey fell my vibes.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Walehelt(m): 10:05am On Feb 05, 2021
Wow

Evolution

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Versionite4life: 10:06am On Feb 05, 2021
The future is woman.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Spectrum22: 10:06am On Feb 05, 2021
Abeg someone should show me shuku agbado and ikpkako elede
Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Denique(f): 10:07am On Feb 05, 2021
Team Anita Baker. Ko easy rara...

From spending hours deciding on which style to make–to choosing the colour of hair extension to use–to deciding whether you want it tiny, medium or big(I kuku hate tiny weaves)–to sitting for hours to make it–to enduring the hot water press if it's braids–to sleeping on one side of your head to avoid the pains associated with newly made hair–to the wahala of dressing it every morning–to sitting to loosening the hair–to retouching, then, the much dreaded dryer–arghhhh(I hardly use my hand dryer. Prefer it dries naturally, else, I get a headache)! Then, the cycle continues. Urgh!

Tomorrow, you guys be telling us we are always angry! angry Eti ri kankan tongue

We too much!!! grin

15 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by compton11(m): 10:07am On Feb 05, 2021
why are u including stupid fake wig/weave fake hair to it

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 05, 2021
From Godly natural hair to devilish artificial hair
Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by whela(m): 10:08am On Feb 05, 2021
Wonder women
Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by oluwaseyi0: 10:09am On Feb 05, 2021
change is the only thing that is constant
Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Tajbol4splend(m): 10:10am On Feb 05, 2021
I like braids men, a big turn on for me
Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Rugaria: 10:11am On Feb 05, 2021
They should go back to afro..
These attached fake long hairs can irritate sometimes.. Afro curls should be the in thing now..

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime by Tajbol4splend(m): 10:11am On Feb 05, 2021
oluwaseyi0:
change is the only thing that is constant

Yeah

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Ways To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks / African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge / “I Have Never For Once Used Eyebrow Pencil In My Life” - Lady Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.