Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

Should I Just Go To Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should I Just Go To Church? (139 Views)

Apostle Johnson Suleman Dressed As A Policeman To Church (Photos) / Free The Sheeple Movement Got To Church Leaders In Nigeria. My Experience / EFCC Returning N11.9M Stolen By RCCG Deacon To Church (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should I Just Go To Church? by Icyexpressions: 8:19am On Feb 07, 2021
First chapter of my life, (0—15) I attended church and most times I'm always disturbed by the story of creation of earth. so many questions, no satisfying answer and all that.

I do not doubt God but I just understand that material benefit on Earth doesn't necessarily need to be tied to religion. We can still make that connection in other social gathering like club, party and many other places.

Now, I'm not thinking of heaven because I don't know what to believe......

Do I even have any reason to go to church when I stand to gain nothing?
Re: Should I Just Go To Church? by LordReed(m): 10:29am On Feb 07, 2021
What you need to do is evaluate your situation and prioritize what is important and of benefit to you. If going to church has no value to you then don't spend a second thinking about it. I as an atheist have seen some value to church as a community of people so I go occasionally, it has no religious value to me though so I don't go for the same reasons Christians go.

1 Like

Re: Should I Just Go To Church? by Ihedinobi3: 12:20pm On Feb 07, 2021
Icyexpressions:
First chapter of my life, (0—15) I attended church and most times I'm always disturbed by the story of creation of earth. so many questions, no satisfying answer and all that.

I do not doubt God but I just understand that material benefit on Earth doesn't necessarily need to be tied to religion. We can still make that connection in other social gathering like club, party and many other places.

Now, I'm not thinking of heaven because I don't know what to believe......

Do I even have any reason to go to church when I stand to gain nothing?

Hi there.

You're exactly right that material benefit is not necessarily tied to "religion." Of course, Christianity is not a religion, but what you said applies to Christianity too. One does not need to be a Christian to have material success. In fact, Christianity makes success in this world very difficult and sometimes impossible for those who choose to be Christians.

Why should anyone be a Christian though? The most important reason is that we don't want to go to the Lake of Fire. The world around us and our very own selves tell us that there is a God, that that God is perfect and good, and that He will punish us for our sins unless something is done. This is what brings us all to a desperate need for the Gospel (or good news).

This is the Gospel: this perfect and good God sent His Son to die spiritually on the Cross for our sins. The greatness of this Sacrifice begins to be seen in the fact that this Son is also God by nature and elected of His own will to become a man so that He could die on the Cross for us. Because of this Sacrifice like no other, we have been forgiven by God and are welcome back into His embrace if we want to go back to Him. So, no one needs to fear going to the Lake of Fire anymore. All we need to do is not reject this incredible Gift of gifts so that we can appropriate this grand forgiveness for all of our mad wickedness.

This is why we become Christians. Anyone who feels either that they have no sin to worry about or that there is no God for them to be concerned about or that the Gospel is not true will simply not be a Christian. I consider that a very scary position to be in. I would much rather be tortured to death in this world than risk ending up in the Lake of Fire for all eternity. I honestly don't see any reason why anyone would take such a crazy risk.

About going to church, however, I think I can relate completely. I finally stopped going to church more than years ago. I was always very committed to going to church or attending Christian fellowship of all kinds until I stopped fooling myself about the spiritual value of doing so. I was not learning what the Bible teaches. Rather, I was being fed a crazy mix of convoluted teachings about the Bible that either didn't sound right or was blatantly wrong from even a cursory reading of the Bible. I wanted badly to learn what the Bible actually teaches, but I didn't know where to go after going to so many churches and following all sorts of ministries.

God had mercy upon mercy upon me and brought me to https://ichthys.com not long after I stopped bothering with churches. That is where I was able to finally learn everything that the Bible teaches as one unified system of truth. It is also where I am training to become a full-fledged pastor-teacher so that I can do for others what was done for me there.

The Scriptures do not mandate "going to church" in the sense that we know it today. Rather they teach that we ought to be around other serious believers as often as we can manage so that they can encourage us in our walk with the Lord. Obviously, we do better when we work with comrades who share our goals and actively help us in achieving them. The Lord designed the Church (the spiritual collection of all those who believe the Gospel) to operate as one unit. Together they can grow spiritually (see the link) and bear fruit for the Lord for which they qualify for eternal rewards that make the riches of this world look like things unworthy of even children's games.

So I would encourage you to take the path of spiritual growth and appreciate all the positive believers (that is, believers who are seriously pursuing spiritual growth) that the Lord brings into your life and use all the help that they offer you to grow and progress spiritually and do your best to help them too in every way that you can.

(1) (Reply)

The Man Whom God Lifts / Whats Wealth? / God's Unchanging Principles: The Question Of Morality In The World Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.