Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,286 members, 7,780,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:42 PM

Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd (9001 Views)

Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd / "Odd" Things That Can Take You To Hell / Being The Odd One In A Sex-infested Society (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 10:59pm On Feb 08, 2021
LordReed:

He can't be since he doesn’t see you as being gnostic at all. LoLz
Perhaps you don't understand what a gnosticism is.
The joke is on you!
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 11:03pm On Feb 08, 2021
budaatum:

Really? So the authors of Genesis 1 were witnesses to what they wrote about, in your own opinion? I wonder if you believe everything you read or if it just applies to what you read in this one book.

For your information, those who reason and know their Shakespeare and Plato and all of the Greek philosophers know they were were speculating, and that understanding has empowered us to speculate too instead of making out our opinions are facts and the truth. If you read enough you too will know this.
Everyone to his own opinion.

The bible isn't one single book but it is the chronicle of the bloodline of the Messiah AND the redemption He gives.

When you have experienced God, the bible ceases to be "a speculation" but a guide.
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by LordReed(m): 11:07pm On Feb 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

Perhaps you don't understand what a gnosticism is.
The joke is on you!

Apparently the joke is on you. If you knew who a gnostic is you won't even associate yourself with the word since gnosticism runs contrary to your belief in Jesus. I am sure its one of the reasons budaatum is shaking his head at you.

1 Like

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 11:11pm On Feb 08, 2021
LordReed:

You can argue all the semantics you want, fact remains some stars are being born as we speak.
And it's not my objective to debate that. More stars are dying than being born. It doesn't change the fact that our universe is dying. Entropy is increasing!
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by LordReed(m): 11:14pm On Feb 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

And it's not my objective to debate that. More stars are dying than being born. It doesn't change the fact that our universe is dying. Entropy is increasing!

Who told you the universe is dying?
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 11:15pm On Feb 08, 2021
LordReed:

Apparently the joke is on you. If you knew who a gnostic is you won't even associate yourself with the word since gnosticism runs contrary to your belief in Jesus. I am sure its one of the reasons budaatum is shaking his head at you.

I use the word gnostic not as in gnosticism as practiced by the early "gnostic Christians"! But as one who knows His God rather than one who just believes!

Are you a gnostic atheist or an agnostic atheist?
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 11:16pm On Feb 08, 2021
LordReed:

Who told you the universe is dying?
You don't know?
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 11:19pm On Feb 08, 2021
budaatum:

You make it sound like God appeared to you as a man when the truth is you are simply parroting what you've been told to believe.

You would be advised to stop telling lies to yourself and seek knowledge instead.
Na!!!

When you know, you know!
It's not sold in the market!

I am not surprised at you and Honestly, I can understand if you don't understand!

1 Like

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by LordReed(m): 11:24pm On Feb 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

You don't know?

You didn't answer the question.
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by LordReed(m): 11:24pm On Feb 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

I use the word gnostic not as in gnosticism as practiced by the early "gnostic Christians"! But as one who knows His God rather than one who just believes!

Are you a gnostic atheist or an agnostic atheist?

Agnostic atheist.
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by budaatum: 11:32pm On Feb 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

So, you are simply making up meanings for words that already have meanings and expect, given an infinite amount of time, that intelligence will result out of your meaninglessness?

I wonder what the probability of that is but I guess we'll have to wait an infinite amount of time to find out.

shadeyinka:
What is the probability given

1. Infinite sets of 30 Alphabets, symbols and punctuation Characters
2. A means of throwing/juggling them
3. Infinite amount of time to repeat the above that

1. Intelligence can result
By intellegence I mean Logic acting on data and producing results consistent with the logic.
Or
2. A meaningful book can result

Some professors are of the opinion that given enough time, without any seed of intellegence behind it, a computer can write a love letter or a chemistry textbook!

And I agree with them!

1 Like

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by budaatum: 11:37pm On Feb 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

Na!!!

When you know, you know!
It's not sold in the market!

I am not surprised at you and Honestly, I can understand if you don't understand!
Yeah. That's what they say just before begging for their daily bread.

I do understand Shade, and I disagree with you. There is no amount of time for what you say here to make any sense unless you seed intelligence behind it.

1 Like

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 11:42pm On Feb 08, 2021
LordReed:

Agnostic atheist.
In other words you are not convinced that the evidence you have is sufficient to conclude that God exists but as an atheist, you've ruled it out UNTIL such evidence be presented.

A gnostic atheist usually has come to a point of rejection. "Even if it is proved that God exists, he doesn't want anything to do with Him!

I am not defining atheism o!

A gnostic Christian like me is one who has come to a state of personal knowledge and relationship with God through Christ and therefore CANNOT claim otherwise without lying.i

Agnostic Christians play it safe as they do not have sufficient reason to conclude that God doesn't exist. Therefore, he believes there is God until proven otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 11:45pm On Feb 08, 2021
budaatum:

So, you are simply making up meanings for words that already have meanings and expect, given an infinite amount of time, that intelligence will result out of your meaninglessness?

I wonder what the probability of that is but I guess we'll have to wait an infinite amount of time to find out.

Whenever you call someone a gnostic atheist or an agnostic atheist does it cause any confusion?
Do you have to go to the term "agnostic Christians" of the first century Christians?
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by budaatum: 11:55pm On Feb 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

Whenever you call someone a gnostic atheist or an agnostic atheist does it cause any confusion?
Do you have to go to the term "agnostic Christians" of the first century Christians?

I don't think I can take you seriously when you make up your own definitions after the fact, a point I illustrated with the random arrangement of letters below.

budaatum:

As in, if I ragrnae lstetr yb ggljuing eyht lwoud eamn thimgsone ot oyu in English, French or Dutch language?

Perhaps tell me your definitions of 'gnostic atheist', 'agnostic atheist' and "agnostic Christians" of any century, and their relevance to the topic at hand, then we might have a basis for discourse if that interests you.

1 Like

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 11:55pm On Feb 08, 2021
budaatum:

Yeah. That's what they say just before begging for their daily bread.

I do understand Shade, and I disagree with you. There is no amount of time for what you say here to make any sense unless you seed intelligence behind it.
It's impossible to convince you.

The experience is Taylor made and subjective.

Seek the Lord when He may be found, call Him when He's near is a personal thing.

Let me try to explain:
If you've never had a dream while sleeping, how can you understand when I tell you that I ate dinner with Joe Biden at the White House in my dream. You will be looking for that elusive seed of intellegence to comprehend how me who didn't leave my house in Abuja could eat with Joe Biden!

If you don't call my experience craziness, you'll say it's none existent. I can understand if you can't understand.
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 12:02am On Feb 09, 2021
budaatum:

I don't think I can take you seriously when you make up your own definitions after the fact, a point I illustrated with the random arrangement of letters below.

Perhaps tell me your definitions of 'gnostic atheist', 'agnostic atheist' and "agnostic Christians" of any century, and their relevance to the topic at hand, then we might have a basis for discourse if that interests you.
Let's just use the terms very loosely in term of (from Christian perspective)
Agnostic equivalence to believe
Gnostic equivalence to know

It may not even have much to do with the subject of discussion other than to distinguish between a Christian who knows....
and the
Christian who believes...

I guess we should wrap this up not to distract. It's not the main thrust of discussion

shadeyinka:

In other words you are not convinced that the evidence you have is sufficient to conclude that God exists but as an atheist, you've ruled it out UNTIL such evidence be presented.

A gnostic atheist usually has come to a point of rejection. "Even if it is proved that God exists, he doesn't want anything to do with Him!

I am not defining atheism o!

A gnostic Christian like me is one who has come to a state of personal knowledge and relationship with God through Christ and therefore CANNOT claim otherwise without lying.i

Agnostic Christians play it safe as they do not have sufficient reason to conclude that God doesn't exist. Therefore, he believes there is God until proven otherwise.
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by budaatum: 12:26am On Feb 09, 2021
shadeyinka:

It's impossible to convince you.

The experience is Taylor made and subjective.

Seek the Lord when He may be found, call Him when He's near is a personal thing.

Let me try to explain:
If you've never had a dream while sleeping, how can you understand when I tell you that I ate dinner with Joe Biden at the White House in my dream. You will be looking for that elusive seed of intellegence to comprehend how me who didn't leave my house in Abuja could eat with Joe Biden!

If you don't call my experience craziness, you'll say it's none existent. I can understand if you can't understand.

Even if I've never dreamed you would hardly be telling me you were full and have no need to eat after eating dinner with Biden anywhere now would you, and you would not expect me to believe you who didn't leave your house in Abuja ended up in the White House. That said, there are many who believe such stuff and that their pastor raised the dead etc, just that buda is insufficiently gullible and says, show me.

Please see the following threads for the sort of people who might agree with you, and let me know if I overestimated your intelligence.

https://www.nairaland.com/5981755/us-politics-today

https://www.nairaland.com/6236938/joe-biden-not-president

https://www.nairaland.com/5458081/been-lied-earth-flat-not
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 5:18am On Feb 09, 2021
budaatum:

Even if I've never dreamed you would hardly be telling me you were full and have no need to eat after eating dinner with Biden anywhere now would you, and you would not expect me to believe you who didn't leave your house in Abuja ended up in the White House. That said, there are many who believe such stuff and that their pastor raised the dead etc, just that buda is insufficiently gullible and says, show me.

Please see the following threads for the sort of people who might agree with you, and let me know if I overestimated your intelligence.

https://www.nairaland.com/5981755/us-politics-today

https://www.nairaland.com/6236938/joe-biden-not-president

https://www.nairaland.com/5458081/been-lied-earth-flat-not
You don't have to subtly insult me by trying to know if you overestimated my intellegence.

I am prepared to give it to you that you have no foundational basis to understand. Not everything that is not understood is fake! You don't even need to agree with me on this.

I won't tell you that I am Physically full because I ate in my dreams. (Even if I say so, it could be a true statement from me). But I can describe the details of my experience at the White House even to the point that a black cat with yellow hat on came to play with me and I gave it macaroni. LOL!

This will conflict with your logic because your arguments with be relative to a different plane of existence.

Save your probe for yourself for even when you "see" a miracle or supernatural thing, your first instinct is to explain it away (such is the nature of conviction because of supernatural events). No one can be converted because of that else, Jesus would have gone to the temple for the main intent of demonstrating supernatural powers to the Pharisees and chief priests.

Luk 16:31:
"And he said to him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

The basis of the gospel is not miracles but a message of salvation from the blindness and consequence of sin.
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by BassReeves: 11:18am On Feb 10, 2021
shadeyinka:

By intellegence I mean Logic acting on data and producing results consistent with the logic.
Or

Some professors are of the opinion that given enough time, without any seed of intellegence behind it, a computer can write a love letter or a chemistry textbook!

And I agree with them!
This from the onset is a dead on arrival non starter because the computer hasn't got natural intelligence with by itself crunch, compute, or reckon with Logic inputed by a human being using his/her natural intelligence. As for the second aspect about a meaningful book can result, well whatever it churns out will be debatable and relative as whether it really is a book, not to even consider without being biased or subjective, that it is meaningful

AI, without natural intelligence involved, will have extreme difficulties leaving the starting block, let alone set off to begin writing a love letter or a chemistry textbook! Computers don't possess natural intelligence and without a user to program it or tell it what to do, it will just be as good as fantasying that a ton of bricks will write a love letter or a chemistry textbook!

1 Like

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by budaatum: 9:35pm On Feb 11, 2021
shadeyinka:

I won't tell you that I am Physically full because I ate in my dreams. (Even if I say so, it could be a true statement from me). But I can describe the details of my experience at the White House even to the point that a black cat with yellow hat on came to play with me and I gave it macaroni. LOL!
Below is some reading that might interest you. Rather than focusing on what he ate, perhaps wonder how he cooked it.

budaatum:

De Caelo et Eius Mirabilibus et de inferno, ex Auditis et Visis, Emanuel Swedenborg
Heaven and its Wonders and Hell, From Things Heard and Seen
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 5:19am On Feb 12, 2021
budaatum:

Below is some reading that might interest you. Rather than focusing on what he ate, perhaps wonder how he cooked it.

Do you have a soft copy?

Not everything eaten is cooked. Eg Apple
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 5:29am On Feb 12, 2021
BassReeves:
This from the onset is a dead on arrival non starter because the computer hasn't got natural intelligence with by itself crunch, compute, or reckon with Logic inputed by a human being using his/her natural intelligence. As for the second aspect about a meaningful book can result, well whatever it churns out will be debatable and relative as whether it really is a book, not to even consider without being biased or subjective, that it is meaningful

AI, without natural intelligence involved, will have extreme difficulties leaving the starting block, let alone set off to begin writing a love letter or a chemistry textbook! Computers don't possess natural intelligence and without a user to program it or tell it what to do, it will just be as good as fantasying that a ton of bricks will write a love letter or a chemistry textbook!
Dead on arrival is betting against an impossible Statistical Odd!

In other words, intelligence arising from non intellegent constituents like atoms, energy and molecules CANNOT suddenly become intellegent.
The only exception is if such systems are programmed by an external source who innately possess intellegence.

That Intellegence is the UNCAUSED FIRST CAUSE of everything who is intellegent (not just a force) else everything in the Universe will remain unintelligent.
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by budaatum: 5:43am On Feb 12, 2021
shadeyinka:

Do you have a soft copy?

Not everything eaten is cooked. Eg Apple
Is a pdf not soft enough?

1 Like

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 5:46am On Feb 12, 2021
budaatum:

Is a pdf not soft enough?
It is. Please send a link if you can!
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by budaatum: 5:50am On Feb 12, 2021
shadeyinka:

It is. Please send a link if you can!

Again.

budaatum:

De Caelo et Eius Mirabilibus et de inferno, ex Auditis et Visis, Emanuel Swedenborg
Heaven and its Wonders and Hell, From Things Heard and Seen

1 Like

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 6:01am On Feb 12, 2021
budaatum:

Again.

So sorry!
I didn't know that a link was embedded in your post.

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by BassReeves: 8:31am On Feb 12, 2021
shadeyinka:

Or

And I agree with them!

shadeyinka:
Dead on arrival is betting against an impossible Statistical Odd!

In other words, intelligence arising from non intellegent constituents like atoms, energy and molecules CANNOT suddenly become intellegent.
The only exception is if such systems are programmed by an external source who innately possess intellegence.

That Intellegence is the UNCAUSED FIRST CAUSE of everything who is intellegent (not just a force) else everything in the Universe will remain unintelligent.
If you know, its an impossible Statistical Odd!, then why do you agree with some professors with the opinion that given enough time, without any seed of intelligence behind it, a computer can write a love letter or a chemistry textbook!

You are just confirming, all thats in my earlier comment, that intelligence arising from non intelligent constituents like atoms, energy and molecules CANNOT suddenly become intelligent. They will only become so, e.g. have AI etc, because a user programmed them or told them what instructions to do, if not they will just be as good as fantasying that a ton of bricks will become intelligent, write a love letter or a chemistry textbook

1 Like

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by malvisguy212: 9:07pm On Feb 12, 2021
its look like time is the magic for the atheists ......If a fair maiden kisses a frog which instantly changes into a handsome prince, we would call it a fairy tale. But if the frog takes 40 million years to turn into a prince, we call it evolution.

1 Like

Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 10:17am On Feb 13, 2021
BassReeves:

If you know, its an impossible Statistical Odd!, then why do you agree with some professors with the opinion that given enough time, without any seed of intelligence behind it, a computer can write a love letter or a chemistry textbook!

You are just confirming, all thats in my earlier comment, that intelligence arising from non intelligent constituents like atoms, energy and molecules CANNOT suddenly become intelligent. They will only become so, e.g. have AI etc, because a user programmed them or told them what instructions to do, if not they will just be as good as fantasying that a ton of bricks will become intelligent, write a love letter or a chemistry textbook
It was to snake out some of my "learned" friends!
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 10:17am On Feb 13, 2021
BassReeves:

It was to smoke out some of my "learned" friends!
Re: Waging A Bet Against An Impossible Statistical Odd by shadeyinka(m): 10:19am On Feb 13, 2021
malvisguy212:
its look like time is the magic for the atheists ......If a fair maiden kisses a frog which instantly changes into a handsome prince, we would call it a fairy tale. But if the frog takes 40 million years to turn into a prince, we call it evolution.
Joke of the century: the law of diminishing returns seem to apply to knowledge. Knowledge itself seem not to have the capacity to impart wisdom

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Please Give Me One Good Reason Why I Should Go Back To God / Atheist Professor, Bruce Grindal, Witnesses Man Raised From The Dead. / The Hijab Can Decieve You...

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.