Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination (18179 Views)

5 Nigerians Who Have Received Oscars Nomination, Award / Academy Awards (Oscars) 2021- Full list of winners / Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note (2) (3) (4)

Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by Eriokanmi: 11:11am On Feb 09, 2021
post=98892978:

Unfortunately, LIONHEART was disqualified for language reasons.
But a good movie it was!

Yeah.

Our Darling Country to the world.
NIGERIA to the world.
Let us bring home the OSCARS guys.

Unlike Genevieve Nnaji’s Lionheart which unfortunately the Academy disqualified from the international feature film category last year for having English as the main language of the script,.
The Milkmaid fulfils the requirement for a predominantly non-English dialogue track. It conveys authenticity with Hausa, Fulfulde and Arabic, three languages hermetically spoken throughout the film.

The film follows the story of two sisters, Aisha (Anthonieta Kalunta) and Zainab (Maryam Booth), who get separated when insurgents attack their village. Aisha is determined to rescue Zainab from her captors and traces her whereabouts to an enemy camp, where she is enslaved and treated inhumanely

Can the Milkmaid win Nigeria’s first Oscar?
Yes is the answer!!

God bless Nigeria.
Maybe Genevieve ought to have changed the title to Amotekun Heart instead, lion is more English than amotekun grin.

A lesson to learn next time I guess. That move get plenti publicity abeeg. Unfortunately, the awarding organisations don't judge by all that
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by meobizy(f): 11:28am On Feb 09, 2021
I’ll watch it on Netflix.
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by ThierryJay: 11:47am On Feb 09, 2021
Beverlyjean:

We know boko haram is politics...and world leaders know this... boko haram are not ur average terrorist like al queda or isis .... they dont strike outside the North... real terrorists would hv struck southern Nigeria and beyond the country... these are just people that were set up to make money for themselves... a terrorist that has been in sambisa for ages and he hasn't been caught...real terrorists switch locations... it is political and when its political, its no more terrorism...unfortunately the poor are the pawns

I know that boko is politically driven, but do the general global entertainment industry in the US and Europe also know this? (not referring to their governments o). They still see it in the same way as Al Qaeda terrorism, as a good vs evil narrative. Check Black panther, was any political angle depicted when King T'Challa and his girlfriend warrior rescued one of the chibok girls from boko haram at the beginning of the movie, No. It was simply shown as the good guys triumphing against the bad terrorist guys. That's what the world likes to see. Desmond Obiavjele understands that and I think that's why he's put this out. He's all about what the global audience wants to see.

The thing is there's a whole world of difference between hollywood/Nollywood narratives and reality. The earlier we realize that the better. How many films have really changed the world for the better?

Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by Flamemignon1(m): 11:59am On Feb 09, 2021
Why do we always yearn for foreign validation? I was at the movie's Abuja screening and it was an awesome experience. We don't need to win an Oscar to tell us that. One of the reasons I adore Wizkid, he doesn't need a Grammy to know he's an amazing artiste
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by BoneTackle: 12:56pm On Feb 09, 2021
mikmash:

To think of it, these type of comments are coming from an adult. I pray you find the avenue for joy not sheer hatred. But I understand the angle you are coming from. God bless your heart.

my friend STFU and GTFOH

What and where is the hatred in her comment?
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by BoneTackle: 12:58pm On Feb 09, 2021
Beverlyjean:

We know boko haram is politics...and world leaders know this... boko haram are not ur average terrorist like al queda or isis .... they dont strike outside the North... real terrorists would hv struck southern Nigeria and beyond the country... these are just people that were set up to make money for themselves... a terrorist that has been in sambisa for ages and he hasn't been caught...real terrorists switch locations... it is political and when its political, its no more terrorism...unfortunately the poor are the pawns
you are smart and intelligent. I love you for this comment

Dont mind all this senseless hoeduduwa miscreants quoting you upandan

Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by BoneTackle: 12:59pm On Feb 09, 2021
The movie is so good and we never jnew or heard about it...nonsense
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by mikmash(m): 1:51pm On Feb 09, 2021
BoneTackle:
my friend STFU and GTFOH
What and where is the hatred in her comment?
Sorry, I won't go that route if I were you. Have a nice day.
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by cattylove7(f): 2:41pm On Feb 09, 2021
it doesnt look interestin enough 4 me 2 win an oscar www.cattylove.com
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by Nobody: 2:53pm On Feb 09, 2021
Cuntface:

Most of you think if you say you don't watch Nigerian movies it makes you guys look smart or somewhat important??
Actually it makes all of you look so dumb and stupid.

There's no honor in telling us you don't watch your country's movies, just shut up
Wtf are you shouting?
People like you lack manners. Did I touch you? Or were you mentioned when I type those things? Rubbish don't go an get and life be eavesdropping on mine. If I don't watch how does it affect the economy of Nigeria? In fact what's your business with my choice of selection? I didn't advise anybody not to watch it. Please be careful with the way you take things personal especially when you ain't involve. I strongly think that will save you alot of drama.
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by 99thEnemy(m): 3:21pm On Feb 09, 2021
Did Dorathy star in movie?

( Just asking )
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by Olodo24: 4:22pm On Feb 09, 2021
Neddstark:

Lionheart should have been submitted to the best picture category. Rather they submitted for best International Film category, which had rules that a foreign language must be spoken in 75% of the conversations. That is why it was rejected.
Lionheart was never getting nominated in any of the categories. The competition was too tough for a tiny movie like Lionheart to handle
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by Neddstark: 4:27pm On Feb 09, 2021
Olodo24:
Lionheart was never getting nominated in any of the categories. The competition was too tough for a tiny movie like Lionheart to handle

True. The movie was mediocre
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by iamL(f): 8:51pm On Feb 09, 2021
As long as is abt insurgence it might end up like lion heart. Nollywood his not yet qualified to produce a movie with such a story line that will grab international interest.

I wish it the best because it will boost Nollywood if is successful.
Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by iamL(f): 8:54pm On Feb 09, 2021
Neddstark:

Lionheart should have been submitted to the best picture category. Rather they submitted for best International Film category, which had rules that a foreign language must be spoken in 75% of the conversations. That is why it was rejected.

Nothing to write home abt lion heart. Even if it was submitted for another category is too tiny for Oscar.

It didn't even passed the screening stage.

Honestly it is a medicore movie even in Nigeria it wasn't successful in the box office.

Re: Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination by Lenny9000(m): 9:18pm On Feb 09, 2021
padi94:
I don't watch Nigeria movies again
From the trailer it seems like an interesting film
I will watch this one, I think it has a message behind it

There are two types of Nigerians movies.
01. Alaba Market type
02. Netflix type

Go for the ones on Netflix and you will enjoy them

Why Do Nigeria TV Stations Lack Good Picture Quality? / LABE ORUN NEWS: Ten Months Old Baby Dies In Struggle Over Land (strange But True / COMPLETE SEASON: The Witcher Season 1 Episode 1-8