Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,716 members, 7,805,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (136) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (963077 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jun 12, 2015
Good day nairalander
I need advice from you guyz as senior fellow in poultry biz. I want to invest in this biz but egg production, I want to start with POL as to reduce the risk. but I only have little cash less than 600k but more than 400k and 2 plot of land (location of the land: Ibadan. and Ilorin), I want you guyz to advice me on location and how to get cheap cage maybe local made (for start)
I will appreciate and info that can help.

marcos32dh@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 3:51pm On Jun 12, 2015
judithume. The problem has been identified; your birds are underweight. They should each weigh 1.45kg at this time. The weight differential is the reason they haven't started the singsong peculiar to laying birds. I'll advise you increase their daily consumption to between 110 - 120g/bird. You may start photostimulation after another week has passed. Success
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pathology(m): 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2015
Trueigbo:
Topfeed is no longer the feed I used to know. Their quality has dropped and the price is still high

Am thinking of changing my layers feed.

I ve been observing such in d last 3 months, I thought may be my broilers were not from good parents or my farm practices are poor. thanks for raising this observation
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Trueigbo: 5:56pm On Jun 12, 2015
pathology:

I ve been observing such in d last 3 months, I thought may be my broilers were not from good parents or my farm practices are poor. thanks for raising this observation

i wish i have another alternative. topfeed is no longer the feed i used to know. i hope to find another good feed
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pathology(m): 6:08pm On Jun 12, 2015
kelvin96:

galdus goes for 6k5 and kbc 10 is 12k2

is a bag 25 or 50 kg
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 7:29pm On Jun 12, 2015
pathology:

is a bag 25 or 50 kg

Galdus is on 25kg y kbc10 is on 50kg

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jun 12, 2015
pleep:
grin Subscibed! this will be an interesting blog.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 4:48am On Jun 13, 2015
davidzfarm18:

Pls don't start photo stimulation at 1.35 kg.
wait till they are up to 1.45 kg, otherwise you will be getting small eggs. the birds will come to lay when they are 1.45kg naturally and then you can gradulao stimulate them to ensure increase in consumption.
the protein content of ur grower feed can be slightly increased to accommodate for poor quality Ingredients.
One more thing. I had discussion with Jamp and realised that raising pullets in the heat period comes with its own challenges. You can however increase feed distribution to MINIMUM 3 Times.
Pls note that the the birds show excitement at each feeding time and this encourages rapid feed consumption.
Not until 80% are 1.5kg.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adebamtech(m): 5:16pm On Jun 13, 2015
i salute all contributors of this thread, in fact it was educative and if continued this way, it will surely boost the poultry aspect of farming. i'm into backyard poultry business, but noticed the eggs produced were not that much big as expected, i read here about photo stimulation, and search google for better understanding. is the Ahemeral Lighting programe the best?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 7:43pm On Jun 13, 2015
adebamtech:
i salute all contributors of this thread, in fact it was educative and if continued this way, it will surely boost the poultry aspect of farming. i'm into backyard poultry business, but noticed the eggs produced were not that much big as expected, i read here about photo stimulation, and search google for better understanding. is the Ahemeral Lighting programe the best?
You can only do that in light-tight house. But such houses are expensive to build and not suitable for tropics.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Abuloma80(f): 6:22am On Jun 14, 2015
FarmTech:

You can only do that in light-tight house. But such houses are expensive to build and not suitable for tropics.
Expensive to build.yes!but very well suitable in tropics
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by utchlady: 5:45pm On Jun 14, 2015
Good evening house, hope u remember me? My birds started laying at 18th weeks will be 21 weeks on Monday. Production of eggs is like 100+ out of 500 birds. Please am I doing OK got them from animal care and I give them animalcare feed.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by utchlady: 5:48pm On Jun 14, 2015
Pls what is the cost of the different sizes of eggs? I don't have that info at hand someone should pls assist urgently.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 6:13pm On Jun 14, 2015
utchlady:
Pls what is the cost of the different sizes of eggs? I don't have that info at hand someone should pls assist urgently.

The birds are doing perfectly well at over 20% pdtn by 21 weeks. They will reach peak pdtn in the next couple of weeks.
The cost of eggs differs base on location and the buyers.
in my area. small size eggs ranged from #500-#550 this period.
large eggs are sold for N650,

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by utchlady: 6:17pm On Jun 14, 2015
[quote author=davidzfarm18 post=34767704]

The birds are doing perfectly well at over 20% pdtn by 21 weeks. They will reach peak pdtn in the next couple of weeks.
The cost of eggs differs base on location and the buyers.
in my area. small size eggs ranged from #500-#550 this period.
large eggs are sold for N650,
Thanks so much I appreciate.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 8:09pm On Jun 14, 2015
utchlady:
Good evening house, hope u remember me? My birds started laying at 18th weeks will be 21 weeks on Monday. Production of eggs is like 100+ out of 500 birds. Please am I doing OK got them from animal care and I give them animalcare feed.
congrats utchlady, ur birds are doing fine. mine started laying at 23weeks abt 3weeks ago bt i've gotten only 3 crates since then pls house wat cld be wrong wit my birds, i noticed they have lice which am treating though i've treated it b4, their prodtn reached 2% b4 bt now it's 3 or 4 eggs a day 4rm 700 birds.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 9:56pm On Jun 14, 2015
endy247:
congrats utchlady, ur birds are doing fine. mine started laying at 23weeks abt 3weeks ago bt i've gotten only 3 crates since then pls house wat cld be wrong wit my birds, i noticed they have lice which am treating though i've treated it b4, their prodtn reached 2% b4 bt now it's 3 or 4 eggs a day 4rm 700 birds.
Its well with you. You need to know that most drugs used in treating lies affects production.
. try and get in touch with an experienced person to visit ur farm.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:09pm On Jun 14, 2015
endy247:
Do you feed them well and what is their average weight like?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:12pm On Jun 14, 2015
Abuloma80:
Expensive to build.yes!but very well suitable in tropics
Well, I have one question to ask. How do you plan to cope with temperature during periods of heat wave? Don't tell me you'll use gen to power fans and still make reasonable profit. In open houses heat is a problem, what will it be like in closed houses?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by salam12(m): 8:03am On Jun 15, 2015
All experts in the house, please have we had any venture into rearing broilers in cage systems. if yes, what is success rate and potential challenges. Quick responses and contributions will be highly appreciated.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 10:06am On Jun 15, 2015
endy247. Something is sure wrong with your flock given the result you are getting. As noted by FarmTech, first question to ask is about the quality & quantity of the feeding. 2. You observed they have lice, be advised to do the needful immediately to deal with the lice. 3. Did you raise the birds yourself? If yes, what can you say about uniformity in their growth? I seriously suspect poor uniformity for the result you are getting. You may wish to reveal more about the birds for better input from the house. utchlady. You are doing fine. However, I'll like to know what is the quantity of feeds fed the birds daily. judithume. How far? Update, pls
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Oyetunji2014(m): 11:13am On Jun 15, 2015
Dear Poultry farmers,

Please I want to start a mini poultry with 100 DOC to start with at my back yard
Can anyone assist with a report (fayoyin_oyekunle@yahoo.com)
I have been test running with POL but the result was go so I want to go a little bigger before I graduate to 300 and 500 birds.
I reside it Benin City.

Please great mentors in this forum kindly assist.

Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 12:06pm On Jun 15, 2015
@eggcelent & all, I feed them 3bags bt they dont finish it in a day, i raised them myself, d uniformity in growth is poor, i've given them concimectin(ivermectin) 4 d lice, wat i don't understand is after reaching 16 eggs, they dropped to 3 to 4 eggs a day.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 12:13pm On Jun 15, 2015
FarmTech:

Do you feed them well and what is their average weight like?
They don't finish their feed, a colleague mills d feed 4 me he mills his own too. average weight is 1.5kg.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Purnitigulati: 12:18pm On Jun 15, 2015
I am also planning to start a small scale poultry farm on my backyard. and I have some suggestion about feeding.
Feeding high quality, fresh and nutritious food always ensure good health, proper growth and high production. So, always feed your poultry birds healthy and nutritious feeds. Add all types of necessary vitamins and minerals to their feed. smiley

Here is another resourceful thread for Poultry Feed

http://food-beverages.exportersindia.com/meat-poultry/poultry-feed.htm
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 12:27pm On Jun 15, 2015
embarassed 700 matured birds and weighing 1.5kg each not finishing 3 bags of 25kg feeds in a day? Something is wrong. At this age, they should be doing 3.5 bags while still "asking" for more. I assume they are sick. And given the drop in number of eggs laid daily; it could be ND, though it could also be due to the lice. Was there ever a time they finished the 3 bags? I'll advise you repeat the treatment for lice after 2 weeks, as well as do something about possible ND infection.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 1:23pm On Jun 15, 2015
Eggcelent:
embarassed 700 matured birds and weighing 1.5kg each not finishing 3 bags of 25kg feeds in a day? Something is wrong. At this age, they should be doing 3.5 bags while still "asking" for more. I assume they are sick. And given the drop in number of eggs laid daily; it could be ND, though it could also be due to the lice. Was there ever a time they finished the 3 bags? I'll advise you repeat the treatment for lice after 2 weeks, as well as do something about possible ND infection.
I don't think it's ND cos i've been up to date wit lasota even gave dem last wk, they use to finish 3bags b4, i'm suspecting dat lice. i don't kn how i can completely get rid of it. Is it advisable to give dem egg formular now?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 1:35pm On Jun 15, 2015
endy247. Don't waste your money on any egg formula. Deal with the lice infestation first. Repeat the Concimentrin after 2 weeks of initially administering it. Are the birds on litter? If yes, add ash in significant quantity to the litter. Give them vitamin & light at night to ensure they eat more. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 2:24pm On Jun 15, 2015
Eggcelent:
endy247. Don't waste your money on any egg formula. Deal with the lice infestation first. Repeat the Concimentrin after 2 weeks of initially administering it. Are the birds on litter? If yes, add ash in significant quantity to the litter. Give them vitamin & light at night to ensure they eat more. Success.
Thanx @eggcelent, i appreciate. will do as u said.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by barrackodick(m): 4:54pm On Jun 15, 2015
Nice work u doing dude, started mine last year with 500 birds Α̅πϑ I can tell u from expereince u need a good back up as per capital. Cus. Layes could b crazy, u need more of. Faith Α̅πϑ prayer dude, livestock I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ all about prayer Α̅πϑ faith, wish u all d best in d business + adventure
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 5:23pm On Jun 15, 2015
barrackodick. I wouldn't know what your experience has been. However, I make bold to say that poultry is a knowledge-based industry. You may pray and "faith" all you want, if you don't do the right thing, you'll end up failing. Poultry is scientific, not spiritual. Get & apply the right knowledge & success is assured.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by barrackodick(m): 5:51pm On Jun 15, 2015
@eggcelent I understand u all am saying I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ e shouldn't b discouraged even after all daily routine management I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ been carried out properly, he should av faith tins will work out fine

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.