Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (240) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (962651 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 3:47pm On Apr 10, 2017
meetgaby:
Hello Ho
use...

I really need your advise as i will be venturing into poultry business(layers) and i know next to nothing except what i have read online.

Please can you give me an advice on how to construct their house very cheap in the compound where i live.

What age of birds to buy.

And all necessary advice to help me have a good output on investment.

thanks
Depends on the number of birds bro
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Buchika: 7:43pm On Apr 10, 2017
Turks:
How about you start with a hundred? Broiler raising is pretty easy. Do it yourself.
I don't have space for even 10 birds.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by meetgaby: 8:48pm On Apr 10, 2017
i am looking at starting with 500 birds

EMMAACHILE:

Depends on the number of birds bro
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kennysympathy(m): 2:23am On Apr 11, 2017
Pls house do anybody have idea of how construct biodigester?

Let's chat on whatsapp

Or mention me here.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 5:46am On Apr 11, 2017
meetgaby:
i am looking at starting with 500 birds

500 birds to maturity will cost approximately 500*1300=650,000

Getting the house ready is another ball game and you need the minimum size of 1500 square feet (30*50feet or (3) 30*17 feet . This is a large setup and will cost more than 200,000 naira averagely.

You need to budget in my opinion a whopping sum of N1,000,000 to cover for housing and feeding to maturity.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by meetgaby: 9:35am On Apr 11, 2017
Thank you so much for your prompt response...

That's about the sum i have budgeted and i hope to expand with time.

What is a get the point of lay birds which is what i actually intend to do?

Can i just build a cemented floor and zinc with the size you gave? what will i have on the floor? etc. I would like to know what the house setup will look like.

thanks

EMMAACHILE:

500 birds to maturity will cost approximately 500*1300=650,000

Getting the house ready is another ball game and you need the minimum size of 1500 square feet (30*50feet or (3) 30*17 feet . This is a large setup and will cost more than 200,000 naira averagely.

You need to budget in my opinion a whopping sum of N1,000,000 to cover for housing and feeding to maturity.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Turks: 9:49am On Apr 11, 2017
Whatever you do, don't use zinc as your roofing material. Laying birds and heat do not go together.
meetgaby:
Thank you so much for your prompt response...

That's about the sum i have budgeted and i hope to expand with time.

What is a get the point of lay birds which is what i actually intend to do?

Can i just build a cemented floor and zinc with the size you gave? what will i have on the floor? etc. I would like to know what the house setup will look like.

thanks

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by meetgaby: 11:50am On Apr 11, 2017
wow...thanks for the heads up. never knew about that. what are my options then?

how can i build their pen?
what should the floor look like?

Turks:
Whatever you do, don't use zinc as your roofing material. Laying birds and heat do not go together.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Turks: 11:55am On Apr 11, 2017
The pen should have as much ventilation as possible. I'll check my archive for pictures sir. The floor could be cemented or it could have a pit where their poop goes into. Financial considerations should set in though.
meetgaby:
wow...thanks for the heads up. never knew about that. what are my options then?

how can i build their pen?
what should the floor look like?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by manya(m): 7:44pm On Apr 11, 2017
Please i need your help and/or suggestion regarding the number of my birds in this deep litter pen.
The pen is 60feet by 30 feet (1800 square feet). My 19 weeks old birds are 1400 in the pen, but i want to know if they are too many for the pen or the number is ok.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by GidiPrince: 9:38pm On Apr 11, 2017
Candid advice! i can feel the consequence now sad
Turks:
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 12:22am On Apr 12, 2017
Hello guys,

My layers started laying in December 2016. I have 3,000 birds but now must sell them off. the residents in my communicate want me to move out of the area. When I bought the land (about 2 acres) the area was bush, but after fencing my land, the Omo-oniles sold off their lands fast, Now I have houses all around me, they have formed a committee. Residence complaining everyday, now they have written letter to us, and copied Alawusa etc. I don't want to have any issues with them so I must sell off my birds ASAP. Please if you are interested let me know. My farm is along Lekki Epe axises.
We are selling them for N1,500 each, you can come and inspect them at the farm.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:34am On Apr 12, 2017
manya:
Please i need your help and/or suggestion regarding the number of my birds in this deep litter pen.
The pen is 60feet by 30 feet (1800 square feet). My 19 weeks old birds are 1400 in the pen, but i want to know if they are too many for the pen or the number is ok.
Ideally, you should have 3 per square feet meaning 1800/3= 600 birds but can be stretched to
1800/2=900 birds maximum
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ownurlife(m): 9:11am On Apr 12, 2017
Sorry about this. What percentage production are u geeting from the 3000 birds currently. also contact me via zero eight zero two four seven seven nine nine five one for further discussion
fnk:
Hello guys,

My layers started laying in December 2016. I have 3,000 birds but now must sell them off. the residents in my communicate want me to move out of the area. When I bought the land (about 2 acres) the area was bush, but after fencing my land, the Omo-oniles sold off their lands fast, Now I have houses all around me, they have formed a committee. Residence complaining everyday, now they have written letter to us, and copied Alawusa etc. I don't want to have any issues with them so I must sell off my birds ASAP. Please if you are interested let me know. My farm is along Lekki Epe axises.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by chines4(m): 9:55am On Apr 12, 2017
fnk:
Hello guys,

Please is there no method that can be used to avoid offensive odour
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Turks: 10:00am On Apr 12, 2017
Improve your management practice and get your birds Sangrovit for drier litter.
chines4:

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by twoMcfemad: 3:04pm On Apr 12, 2017
3.0- 3.5 kg Broilers for sale at friendly prices. Contact 08142688830.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by olawale4725(m): 6:40pm On Apr 12, 2017
MEDIUM SIZED EGG READILY FOR SALE contact/whatsapp 09033011825
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 6:50pm On Apr 12, 2017
ownurlife:
Sorry about this. What percentage production are u geeting from the 3000 birds currently. also contact me via zero eight zero two four seven seven nine nine five one for further discussion

we are getting 75%
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 6:52pm On Apr 12, 2017
chines4:

We have done everything, if you come to our farm, you won't smell anything, but those guys just want us out.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 11:12pm On Apr 12, 2017
fnk:

We have done everything, if you come to our farm, you won't smell anything, but those guys just want us out.

Sorry bro. I had same issue with the host community where my farm is. I have decided to do more broilers now since deep litter system does not smell like battery cage system.

Honestly speaking battery cage can smell and I pity those staying around there.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:15pm On Apr 13, 2017
jamp:

Sorry bro. I had same issue with the host community where my farm is. I have decided to do more broilers now since deep litter system does not smell like battery cage system.

Honestly speaking battery cage can smell and I pity those staying around there.

True.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by twoMcfemad: 4:52pm On Apr 13, 2017
twoMcfemad:
3.0- 3.5 kg Broilers for sale at friendly prices. Contact 08142688830.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 6:19pm On Apr 13, 2017
fnk:
Hello guys,

@Fnk quite sometime.
Sincerely, selling those birds may not be the best option for you at their age. Would the buyer be buying them as spent layers or to continue production in another farm? Considering the % production and age, you may not get a good deal.
What if you arrange a sort of "settlement" with your neighbours? Plead with them to allow you just conclude this batch- about 9months more to go........ Just thinking.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bigthingz: 9:13pm On Apr 13, 2017
Good evening house, please what effective CRD drug should I use for my 5month old layers and 18weeks POL. Thanks alot
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Turks: 9:16pm On Apr 13, 2017
Work on your management practice first. Everything about poultry isn't all about antibiotics. Work on your ventilation and litter. Those are the major culprits. Antibiotics should always be your last resort.
bigthingz:
Good evening house, please what effective CRD drug should I use for my 5month old layers and 18weeks POL. Thanks alot
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Chibenze(m): 11:47pm On Apr 13, 2017
guy how many birds can give me 4 to 5 create of eggs daily? i intend buying point of lays. i know all d birds will not lay everyday that is why i ask
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eddyline(m): 3:34am On Apr 14, 2017
Turks:
what material would u suggest for use as a roofing material? thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jfkenny(m): 5:23am On Apr 14, 2017
I saw a fowl that looks like a local fowl but as big as broiler or even bigger, what could be the name.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Turks: 6:26am On Apr 14, 2017
Aluminum roofing sheet or asbestos
eddyline:

what material would u suggest for use as a roofing material? thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Turks: 6:27am On Apr 14, 2017
About 100+
Chibenze:
guy how many birds can give me 4 to 5 create of eggs daily? i intend buying point of lays. i know all d birds will not lay everyday that is why i ask
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Turks: 6:27am On Apr 14, 2017
A picture would do much more justice
jfkenny:
I saw a fowl that looks like a local fowl but as big as broiler or even bigger, what could be the name.

(1) (2) (3) ... (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.