Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,956 members, 7,803,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (268) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (962687 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 9:45pm On Jan 29, 2018
funnynation:
Good morning house. Please I want to start a small scale poultry farm. I want to start with broiler. 150 birds to start. I want to use our one or two rooms of uncompleted building. Please somebody should guide me on how to go about it like;

1. Items I will buy, sew dust, latern, stove,
2. The feed name
3. Vaccine name and when to administer it
4. How to feed them
5. Day old or two weeks old which one that is better
6. Is like we have two types of broiler

Please somebody should give me a guide. I need it.

two rooms won't be enough to raise 150broilers. I will advise you start with fewer birds and 4 weeks old
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by faridpac2: 4:13am On Feb 08, 2018
Hello my friends pls how can I treat this on layers cloaca it cause low production in my layers pls help it's fungal infection or bacterial?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by theking1(m): 10:30pm On Feb 11, 2018
I am setting up a poultry Farm in Ijebu Ode and looking for a consultant that can manage on a profit sharing basis(contract). Please contact me if you are interested and have the experience. (photizogremit@yahoo.com)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tunjoel(m): 6:36pm On Feb 23, 2018
Hello what drug can I administer to control lice (yoro in Yoruba ) in my poultry house
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sammorad(m): 7:57pm On Feb 23, 2018
Tunjoel:
Hello what drug can I administer to control lice (yoro in Yoruba ) in my poultry house

Use Ivermectin, kepromec oral belongs to this class of drugs.

They control both internal(worms) and external(lice) parasites.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tunjoel(m): 11:05pm On Feb 23, 2018
sammorad:

Use Ivermectin, kepromec oral belongs to this class of drugs.
They control both internal(worms) and external(lice) parasites.
Thanks Boss
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by survivalagro: 9:47am On Feb 26, 2018
price

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Sirglurd(m): 3:42pm On Feb 28, 2018
If you have not done this business before, I will advice you to start small. May be with 100 birds. If you make mistake your loss won't be much. Then you will learn from your mistake.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sammorad(m): 11:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
Sirglurd:
If you have not done this business before, I will advice you to start small. May be with 100 birds. If you make mistake your loss won't be much. Then you will learn from your mistake.

Gbam!!!!!

True talk

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by baggiosne: 9:57am On Mar 04, 2018
sammorad:

Gbam!!!!!

True talk
please my able farmers in the house, my 6weeks broilers r coughing seriously, though,I av administered drug to cure the problem BT seems the drug is nt effective, kindly recommend a tested n effective drugs to b used,cos the issue almost affecting all the birds,even watery poo usually come out forcefully from their anus weneva they're sneezing n coughing
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Turks: 10:48am On Mar 04, 2018
First things first, is your pen well ventilated? How is your litter managed? How often is it changed? What drug are you currently administering?
baggiosne:
please my able farmers in the house, my 6weeks broilers r coughing seriously, though,I av administered drug to cure the problem BT seems the drug is nt effective, kindly recommend a tested n effective drugs to b used,cos the issue almost affecting all the birds,even watery poo usually come out forcefully from their anus weneva they're sneezing n coughing
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sammorad(m): 8:27pm On Mar 04, 2018
baggiosne:

How old are d birds in question?

when last did u administer lasota?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by baggiosne: 10:55pm On Mar 04, 2018
sammorad:

How old are d birds in question?

when last did u administer lasota?

they r 6weeks old, and for the lasota,nt yet up to a month,Feb 15 to be precised
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by baggiosne: 11:01pm On Mar 04, 2018
Turks:
First things first, is your pen well ventilated? How is your litter managed? How often is it changed? What drug are you currently administering?
the pen is well constructed, and air is gushin in and out because I made use of boko haram net,and for the litter,I changes it oftenly weneva it due for change, and the drug I'm currently administered is tylodox extra
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sammorad(m): 4:27pm On Mar 05, 2018
baggiosne:
they r 6weeks old, and for the lasota,nt yet up to a month,Feb 15 to be precised

Wahoo,

I have also seen ur last response to Turks, I think u av done what normally should be done.

since you have used tylodox and lasota administered barely 2 wks ago, I advice you get a vet doc to open up in case you have mortality.

But if you dont have mortality and not ready to lose one to postmortem, den I advice you repeat the Lasota again, followed with lots of multivitamin for 2 days after which you can now give a tetracyclin and bromexine( permit my spelling, not on a device that can check this names) crd drug
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sammorad(m): 4:28pm On Mar 05, 2018
baggiosne:
the pen is well constructed, and air is gushin in and out because I made use of boko haram net,and for the litter,I changes it oftenly weneva it due for change, and the drug I'm currently administered is tylodox extra

I will appreciate if you can send pics of this boko harm net. I will like to see how dey are been used

kindly let me see via pics
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by baggiosne: 10:44pm On Mar 05, 2018
sammorad:

Wahoo,

I have also seen ur last response to Turks, I think u av done what normally should be done.

since you have used tylodox and lasota administered barely 2 wks ago, I advice you get a vet doc to open up in case you have mortality.

But if you dont have mortality and not ready to lose one to postmortem, den I advice you repeat the Lasota again, followed with lots of multivitamin for 2 days after which you can now give a tetracyclin and bromexine( permit my spelling, not on a device that can check this names) crd drug
thanks bro for ur time
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by baggiosne: 10:47pm On Mar 05, 2018
sammorad:

I will appreciate if you can send pics of this boko harm net. I will like to see how dey are been used

kindly let me see via pics
I ll,as soon as I av more battery strength on my phone
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by faridpac2: 12:05pm On Mar 07, 2018
baggiosne:
may b it's mycoplasma gallisepticum it's difficult to treat and it's vary dangerous if left untreated continue use tylodox or use tylosine single for up to 1 week or u can use conflox
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 8:21pm On Mar 07, 2018
Please room,I need vaccination schedule for zartech DOC pullets.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sammorad(m): 9:59pm On Mar 07, 2018
3 Major Things As you Plan to Expand

Its been so much on my mind to share what I call the triple stand for a growing broiler business, I humbly seek permission to use this thread.

It is obvious that every business man desires growth and the poultry farmer is not an exemption, we dream and desire growth every time

Three factors must be given due consideration, they eventually determine the success of our broiler business.

1) Market

2) Available Space and Man Power

3) Available Cash

Give good consideration to my order of arrangement, this is also th order priority.

1) Market -- This refers strongly to where and who are you selling to?

At what rate are you giving your product- your energy and investment?

This questions must be properly addressed to actually determine that your expansion will bring in profit and not a loss.

Available Space and manpower: let us take a brief on the issue of spacing first, adequate space for growth is very key especially in broiler business, an environment with free flow of natural and reduced heat can not be compromised to achieve good result.

Manpower, is another key factor, this contributes a lot to the neatness of your environment, likewise it helps in achieving high bio-security.

Along side the issue of manpower is staff training,

Cash : Hmmmmm, cash!!, I have seen so many fail in this regard, even myself I have been a victim on several occasion. You have cash to properly manage 200 birds and you are stocking 300 or say 500, this will at the end of the day result in malnutrition and reduced growth rate.
let us rap this in an old wise saying, " cut ur coat according to your size".

Thanks for availing your time to read,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aminuelyakub(m): 11:29pm On Mar 07, 2018
sammorad:
3 Major Things As you Plan to Expand

Its been so much on my mind to share what I call the triple stand for a growing broiler business, I humbly seek permission to use this thread.

It is obvious that every business man desires growth and the poultry farmer is not an exemption, we dream and desire growth every time

Three factors must be given due consideration, they eventually determine the success of our broiler business.

1) Market

2) Available Space and Man Power

3) Available Cash

Give good consideration to my order of arrangement, this is also th order priority.

1) Market -- This refers strongly to where and who are you selling to?

At what rate are you giving your product- your energy and investment?

This questions must be properly addressed to actually determine that your expansion will bring in profit and not a loss.

Available Space and manpower: let us take a brief on the issue of spacing first, adequate space for growth is very key especially in broiler business, an environment with free flow of natural and reduced heat can not be compromised to achieve good result.

Manpower, is another key factor, this contributes a lot to the neatness of your environment, likewise it helps in achieving high bio-security.

Along side the issue of manpower is staff training,

Cash : Hmmmmm, cash!!, I have seen so many fail in this regard, even myself I have been a victim on several occasion. You have cash to properly manage 200 birds and you are stocking 300 or say 500, this will at the end of the day result in malnutrition and reduced growth rate.
let us rap this in an old wise saying, " cut ur coat according to your size".

Thanks for availing your time to read,

Well said!

Its about time for the business aspect of this venture to be considered. As you have rightly said, market is the most important part of this business.

Personally, I dont see man power and funds to be much of a challenge compaired to market. If the market is guaranteed, I feel many of us here will know how to get the funds, with funds at hand, capital, land, labour and training can be sort out.

As a newbie, this market challenge is really scaring me up.

I want to use this oppurtunity to kindly ask all the veterans of this business here present to help us out with the ways we can over come this market challenge please.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by baggiosne: 11:30pm On Mar 07, 2018
faridpac2:

may b it's mycoplasma gallisepticum it's difficult to treat and it's vary dangerous if left untreated continue use tylodox or use tylosine single for up to 1 week or u can use conflox
thanks bro
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bigthingz: 8:06am On Mar 22, 2018
Goodmorning fellow farmers.,,pls í need a rescure.
My birds have droped and still droping in production. How can í salvaje the situation. The have droped to about 30% within jus 3weeks.the are physicaly healthy and active but production is declining. The are divided in 3 pen each housing 2k. 2pens are zartech and the other is Chi.

HOW IT STARTED.
2month ago one of the room was hit with ecoli and NCD.. Pen3
We experience alot of necktwisting and parálysis in that Pen. About 70 were isolated within jus few hrs. About half of them later made it.
Fortunately we were able to rescure the situación.

3weeks ago we stareted experiencin drop in production in the 3pen and 1 or 2 mortality was recorded, it was diagnosed by a vet and was said to be NCD, days later another motality so we took for culture and sensitity and nothing was found.
We treated the whole farm for NCD and cocci too, gave vitamina bt nothing was working. Due to drop in production and drop in egg Price we decided to start feeding the birds with locally made feeds.
We gave Pen 1 & 2 first, the 3rd Pen was still on hybrid and still declining in production the Pen 1 &2 started droping in production too. ..we had to revert all to using the local feeds. Mortality was recorded in pen 1 and 2 it was said to be excess fats, however 2weeks later the situation is getting worst. We tried everyting bt nothing is working.we decided to change their feed again. 10days ago we started giving them vital feeds which is New to them but still the drop in production continues. Rm1 &2 are less than a year in laying. Pen 3 is just 5-6 month in laying.

At present the are physically healthy but the production has dropped significantly. No sign of sickness both in there appearance and droppings.

Pen3 got to 47 crates a month
Now 33
4-5months in laying
Chi birds

Pen1&2 50 crates 3 weeks ago
Now 35
8 month in laying
Zartech birds

Plz I need ur advise and experience. How can I come out of this nightmare. Waiting. Regards. Still awaiting response..gurus in the house pls come to my aid.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 6:31pm On Mar 23, 2018
1. There has been excessive heat for sometime now,so do all you can to reduce the effect of the heat. You can feed early morning say by 5am and late evening by 6/7pm. Ensure cool water and administer anti-stress.Vitamin -c can be added to either their feed or water.

2.Ensure the quantity of feed is adequate for the number of birds and ensure no cases of theft.

3. Do a random check on some birds for lice and take necessary action.

4. you can get orego-stim and administer for them

That is all that came to mind right now.

Are the birds caged or deep littered?

bigthingz:
My birds have droped and still droping in production. How can í salvaje the situation. The have droped to about 30% within jus 3weeks.the are physicaly healthy and active but production is declining. The are divided in 3 pen each housing 2k. 2pens are zartech and the other is Chi.

HOW IT STARTED.
We experience alot of necktwisting and parálysis in that Pen. About 70 were isolated within jus few hrs. About half of them later made it.

3weeks ago we stareted experiencin drop in production in the 3pen and 1 or 2 mortality was recorded, it was diagnosed by a vet and was said to be NCD, days later another motality so we took for culture and sensitity and nothing was found.
We treated the whole farm for NCD and cocci too, gave vitamina bt nothing was working. Due to drop in production and drop in egg Price we decided to start feeding the birds with locally made feeds.
We gave Pen 1 & 2 first, the 3rd Pen was still on hybrid and still declining in production the Pen 1 &2 started droping in production too. ..we had to revert all to using the local feeds. Mortality was recorded in pen 1 and 2 it was said to be excess fats, however 2weeks later the situation is getting worst. We tried everyting bt nothing is working.we decided to change their feed again. 10days ago we started giving them vital feeds which is New to them but still the drop in production continues. Rm1 &2 are less than a year in laying. Pen 3 is just 5-6 month in laying.

At present the are physically healthy but the production has dropped significantly. No sign of sickness both in there appearance and droppings.

Now 33
4-5months in laying
Chi birds

Now 35
8 month in laying
Zartech birds

Plz I need ur advise and experience. How can I come out of this nightmare. Waiting. Regards. Still awaiting response..gurus in the house pls come to my aid.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sammorad(m): 9:39pm On Mar 23, 2018
My brother, I honestly feel your pains,

I always tell my friends that God is the only one that can reward we farmers, the business is no joke at all.

kindly permit me to ask some foundation questions.

1) Where are you located, are u up north or down south?

2) If up north, what is your ventilation like?

3) During there pullet stage did you administer e-coli vaccine?

4) Did You administer the 3 in 1 vaccine ?

5) What is your frequency of administring Lasota Vaccine and when last was it administer?

6) lastly what type of cocci drug did u use on dem?

Kindly let us talk, I believe strongly your birds will come back to lay.

bigthingz:

HOW IT STARTED.

Now 33
4-5months in laying
Chi birds

Now 35
8 month in laying
Zartech birds

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by survivalagro: 12:36pm On Mar 26, 2018

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by survivalagro: 11:40am On Apr 05, 2018
abbeyforex:

Are the cages Hot dip or electro galvanized? i am also based in Ibadan and I need them.

They are electro galvanized.

You are welcome to visit our office @ Opposite Jossy Adeolu Filling Station, Iyana-Bare, Ibadan, Oyo State.

You can as well as call/whatsapp: 07062252747
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by faridpac2: 8:45am On Apr 06, 2018
bigthingz:

HOW IT STARTED.

Now 33
4-5months in laying
Chi birds

Now 35
8 month in laying
Zartech birds

zartech are problematic birds
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by traeces(m): 6:54am On Apr 22, 2018
tabontabon:
1. There has been excessive heat for sometime now,so do all you can to reduce the effect of the heat. You can feed early morning say by 5am and late evening by 6/7pm. Ensure cool water and administer anti-stress.Vitamin -c can be added to either their feed or water.

2.Ensure the quantity of feed is adequate for the number of birds and ensure no cases of theft.

3. Do a random check on some birds for lice and take necessary action.

4. you can get orego-stim and administer for them

That is all that came to mind right now.

Are the birds caged or deep littered?

Great advice, in Addition s/he has to tackle NCD scientifically as opposed to the guess work s/he is presently working with.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by oluwasammy(m): 7:50pm On Apr 22, 2018
Please expert in the house, I will lyk to ask .
Is it advisable to borrow money to start a small scale poultry farm.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 5:37am On Apr 23, 2018
oluwasammy:
Please expert in the house, I will lyk to ask .
Is it advisable to borrow money to start a small scale poultry farm.
Depends on your loan duration and your experience in poultry farming.
If the loan duration to pay back is about 10 weeks, it's still OK to go ahead.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.