Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,956 members, 7,799,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (962192 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sp2002(m): 2:15pm On Sep 06, 2011
baskin, these birds are cockerel{ black and white}. i collected them on the 9th of june 2011 and they will be 12wks old in three days time. actually we are planning to sell for the sallah and christmas/new year festival.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by lekandauda: 5:15pm On Sep 09, 2011
Hindsight, i look forward to your update on this blog. You started it and we are following you. Your success or otherwise (God forbid) will go a long way in helping so many souls who are following you. Basking thanks very much for taking over from hindsight God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by BasseyJ(m): 6:02pm On Sep 09, 2011
Hi Basking and every one else, i've followed this thread and really like it. Pls if i want to buy some chicks in preperation for december, when would i get them so that they would be matured enough for eating. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sp2002(m): 7:17pm On Sep 09, 2011
Basseyj, u can only get broilers ready for christmas and you can get them any moment from now
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by BasseyJ(m): 11:53pm On Sep 09, 2011
sp2002:

Basseyj, u can only get broilers ready for christmas and you can get them any moment from now
Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by chuks2612: 3:33pm On Sep 10, 2011
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by agbekoya(m): 5:56am On Sep 11, 2011
Reply to Ify 4king - I am a young graduate and tends to go into full time poultry farm, since you re in the biz already, i would want you to be my mentor. I intend investing about N500000 into it (land and housing not inclusive). I intend kicking off by September so I will need your help in these areas

1. Where can I get the best breed of chicks in the country?
2. How many chicks do you advice i start with regarding the amount in question?

I have kept poultry for a while and stocked from different farms but my best result has been with Isa brown pullets from Amo Bying in Awe their stock is very good -health wise and in productivity. With N500,000 I advise you work to budget estimation that the birds will cost an average of N1,200 to the point when their egg production can be expected to suffice for feeding them from which point you can begin to expect profits from egg sale you may need if.
4,00 birds is a save estimation of birds for the amount you have of course minus housing and land cost
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ify4king(m): 9:43am On Sep 11, 2011
@agbekoya, thank you so much for your advice, its a pleasure having you on this thread, I will keep you posted as things unfolds.
Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 5:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
Our set1 Layers are 2months old today. shocked

Starting tommorrow, they will start eating Growers Mash and that will continue till another close to 3months. I took some photos yesterday.

Let me upload them for your view!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 5:34pm On Sep 15, 2011
some pix

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 5:36pm On Sep 15, 2011
pix2

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 5:37pm On Sep 15, 2011
pix3

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 5:38pm On Sep 15, 2011
pix4

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 5:40pm On Sep 15, 2011
pix5

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 5:42pm On Sep 15, 2011
last but not the least,

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Seun(m): 12:49am On Sep 17, 2011
-> Business/Money
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by admcompub: 3:38pm On Sep 17, 2011
Very interesting,please keep posting the upto dates .we are following.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FV: 4:56pm On Sep 18, 2011
Can you prepare a feasibility study on this your poultry?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by cheely: 5:37am On Sep 19, 2011
i really wish 2 venture into poultry farming but am looking at hw to dispose d pupu every time

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by headworld: 11:02am On Sep 19, 2011
i really like what av seen so far, but i wanna know if u went to an agric school, u av had experience about farmin or u are using other peoples ideas? i want to mak a quick contribution: you av tried so far with the construction, but i think the area lacks bio security, though theres cross ventilation but u guys will need more than that. if u are collecting pullets u will need a professional brooder while if u wanna get a point of lay, u av to do so from a trust worthy source. are u purchasing black or brown?,

let me not say i wanna help but contribute to your success.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by headworld: 12:40pm On Sep 19, 2011
Starters are best adviced to start with the POL (Point of lay) kind of layers. it reduces the risk of loosing too many at a time and helps them familiarize with the steps involved. know that u dont av to start so big to make it. if u want it so big u can still go ahead and buy reasonable large quantity but same POL. Easily managed and less stressful. it is even more economical for you to mill their feed than purchase commercial, its just a matter of gettina qualitative feed formula.

i ventured with 250k, still schooling and beleive me am fucking happy. i do dogs too and i know when i return back to lagos i will be one of the biggest dog distributor to security agencies in lagos, other states, west and other african contries.

All these things are very simple!!!

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 19, 2011
headworld:

Starters are best adviced to start with the POL (Point of lay) kind of layers. it reduces the risk of loosing too many at a time and helps them familiarize with the steps involved. know that u dont av to start so big to make it. if u want it so big u can still go ahead and buy reasonable large quantity but same POL. Easily managed and less stressful. it is even more economical for you to mill their feed than purchase commercial, its just a matter of gettina qualitative feed formula.

i ventured with 250k, still schooling and beleive me am bleeping happy. i do dogs too and i know when i return back to lagos i will be one of the biggest dog distributor to security agencies in lagos, other states, west and other african contries.

All these things are very simple!!!
Where can feed formula be bought and what is the price difference to buying already prepared meal. Will really love to know as feeding is the biggest cost in animal production, reducing cost without compromising quality is very necessary.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 12:09pm On Sep 20, 2011
Hello Guys,

I am back.

Thanks for the criticisms and advice and also for contributing to the blog. I love dogs too but the are predators to my birds. Shadow (my German Shepard) has so far eaten like 3 grown up turkeys from my farm.

If not for the love I have for him, I would have long shot him.

Daytime,  he is cool but night time is when he perpetrates this acts, So I lock him up at night.

Gentlemen and Ladies in the house, we are expanding. We are now contemplating 5000layers and I am sure the time will come when we will do 5Million birds per quarter.

The next set of 500 will be landing next week God's willing. The current stock is doing good and eating fine too. They also regularly receive their drug dosages.

The carpenter renovating the bigger pen has bought the wire-mesh and other materials needed.

Once the construction job is completed today or latest tomorrow, we will fumigate and give it a few days and then move the older birds to the new facility.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by chines4(m): 2:41pm On Sep 20, 2011
@Basking4me,

As concerns the dog being predators, its easy to take care of. Just buy a very good cane, and release the dog when the birds are around, if the dog attack the birds flog the hell out of him. repeat this for a while then, you will not have a problem. German Shepard's are easy to train. they are very intelligent breeds.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by LSA: 4:51pm On Sep 20, 2011
Hi all. This trend has been so interesting and useful. Please who know where i can buy/download a book that takes one through the nitty gritty of poultry farming. I am planning to venture into the business and need all the knowledge i can get to minimise my risk. I have done poultry on small scale but this is a different ball game. I also would not have much time to supervise as i work full time. Is this going to be a problem. Suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 20, 2011
basking4me:

Hello Guys,

I am back.

Thanks for the criticisms and advice and also for contributing to the blog. I love dogs too but the are predators to my birds. Shadow (my German Shepard) has so far eaten like 3 grown up turkeys from my farm.

If not for the love I have for him, I would have long shot him.

Daytime,  he is cool but night time is when he perpetrates this acts, So I lock him up at night.

Gentlemen and Ladies in the house, we are expanding. We are now contemplating 5000layers and I am sure the time will come when we will do 5Million birds per quarter.

The next set of 500 will be landing next week God's willing. The current stock is doing good and eating fine too. They also regularly receive their drug dosages.

The carpenter renovating the bigger pen has bought the wire-mesh and other materials needed.

Once the construction job is completed today or latest tomorrow, we will fumigate and give it a few days and then move the older birds to the new facility.

Wishing you Godspeed
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 11:33am On Sep 26, 2011
Thanks Everyone for your continued support.!.

Hindsight, pl come around and update us on the going on at your farm too,

Update: set1 of our birds will be 10weeks (half way journey to getting them to start laying) this Thursday while the younger ones (set2) will also be 5weeks (quarter way to start laying too).

We have moved them to a bigger pen on saturday and they seem to be enjoying their new environment. I have taken pictures of both sets to update the blog.

In the mean time, debeaking commences from this week as battle for survival peaks on.

Happy viewing:

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 11:37am On Sep 26, 2011
I did mention that we bought some broilers with the 2nd set. They are big white ones amongst the birds.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 11:39am On Sep 26, 2011
more of set2

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 11:46am On Sep 26, 2011
more of set2.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.