Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari (15332 Views)

Why I Cancelled Lagos Metroline Project –buhari / Akinjide Attacks Buhari For Truncating Lagos Metroline Project / Why I Cancelled Lagos Metroline Project-buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Demdem(m): 2:28pm On Apr 07, 2011
na_so:

@demdem

First I want the source of that your story on PTF.

Secondly it is fraudulent to present some scattered PTF projects/spending  in the SW without providing comparative spending in the core northern regions for similar projects at that time. Let Buhari show us the full stats for all the regions. For your information PTF is recorded to have had as much as N925bln to spend on projects.

By the way I read somewhere that PTF's first budget was approved in 1996, so how could the same PTF have funded and completed a water project of that magnitude On the 6th of March 1996 ? Make una dey check una records o.

When did the project start? when was it awarded?

Firstly, it isnt my story and yes, i know so kindly chill out for him since he is presently offline. what thing i know is i am quite aware of that water project.

secondly there is nothing in that writeup that suggests[b] funded and completed[/b], what you saw there was flag off
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by naso2(m): 2:29pm On Apr 07, 2011
^^^^^^

Good. i dey wait una.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On Apr 07, 2011
CONTACT DETAILS

Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA)
Block C 2nd Floor Motorways Centre,
Motorways Avenue, Alausa,
Ikeja, Lagos.

Tel: 01- 2702778-82
Fax: 01- 2702783
SMS Only: 0703 8699 366

Email:

info@lamata-ng.com

enquires@lamata-ng.com

Anyone out there work at Lamata?
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 07, 2011
BP:

I hope you also know that Lagos State had to pay about 60% of that sum as penalties for backing out(and the back out penalty was priced in dollars). That makes absolutely no sense to me. Why should I pay 60% to get nothing when I could have paid 100% and enjoyed a lot of benefits?

Whoever gave Buhari this excuse is clearly not thinking.

This is very true. Lagos state was forced to pay $79 million dollars in penalties for breach of contract. As matter of fact, the military administrator at the time, Colonel Mudashiru made a high powered representation to the Buhari regime of that penalty clause in the agreement for the metro-line project. Buhari still went ahead and canceled it. Lagos state paid that debt for many years inclusive of interest. How myopic angry angry

Fast forward 25 years and we are back to the same project albeit now priced in Billions of dollars. Cairo's subways/light rail system was built by the same company that was to build the metro-line for Lagos. The projects were launched at roughly the same time as that of Nigeria. undecided undecided
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by naso2(m): 3:30pm On Apr 07, 2011
^^^^^^^
Mudashiru was a group captain not a colonel. I THINK
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Xfactoria: 4:17pm On Apr 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

hhhm . . , How do I put this . . . . is it possible to get evidence that is from a reliable source containing information on what really went on to show this? I am not sure how to explain it to you . . . . All that site does is repeat almost the same thing you said, it even quotes significantly higher digits on its, with no reference as to where the data even comes from. I checked the wiki link. Do you have access to some evidence that actually substantiates the claim ?

I have heard this claim over and over but don't remember reading of it back during the period of the cancellation or even after in the papers. So, I am quite curious as to the source of these stories myself. If you have access to some official source, that would be excellent. I will try on my end to email as many people I can to find out more on it but like I said. . . it just does not sound right.

Kobojunkie, do you realize how annoying you can be at times?? If you don't believe this and you weren't born then, why don't you just ask your father, mother, uncle or any member of your family who were born then??

The way you attack clear evidences and records is portraying you in bad light, babe! You want to be seen as objective but you are damn opposite.

Please make sense for once!!!
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Beaf: 4:17pm On Apr 07, 2011
kalokalo:

This is very true. Lagos state was forced to pay $79 million dollars in penalties for breach of contract. As matter of fact, the military administrator at the time, Colonel Mudashiru made a high powered representation to the Buhari regime of that penalty clause in the agreement for the metro-line project. Buhari still went ahead and canceled it. Lagos state paid that debt for many years inclusive of interest. How myopic angry angry

Fast forward 25 years and we are back to the same project albeit now priced in Billions of dollars. Cairo's subways/light rail system was built by the same company that was to build the metro-line for Lagos. The projects were launched at roughly the same time as that of Nigeria. undecided undecided

There is no greater show of shame and utter visionlessness! Buhari wasn't equipped to deal with economics and the modern World, decades ago in 1985's analogue environment. How will he fare in todays fast paced digital and highly sophisticated environment?
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Demdem(m): 4:23pm On Apr 07, 2011
na_so:

^^^^^^

Good. i dey wait una.

Na so, ur response is now there and some still on the way however will post it here because some contents there could be for peeps benefit.

na_so

I will assume that you are referring to me. and you want an internet link to verify what i wrote.

Before I go on to verification I need to tell you that I was there when all these happened and more. There were of course thousands of other people who are aware and perhaps millions who benefitted. I have given you figures, dates, places and names of organization and you will please feel free to cross check. I will also suggest that you contact the following people who are Public figures and fully aware with what I said here and will even tell you more.
1. Raji Rasaki - who was then the governor of Lagos
2. Chief Adebayo Oyero - an Ibadan technocrat and one time city coucil Chairman in Ibadan.
3. Professor Dora Akunyili
4. Mazi Sam Ohuabunwa who was at that time the president of the Pharmaceutcal Manufacturers association of Nigeria and has even reached greater heights now.
5. Dr. Joe Odumodu - Who is now the DG Manufacturers association of Nigeria.
6. Egr. Emmanuel Egbabe - a water engineer who is now a Senior Adviser to the President GEJ.
7. Engr. Anthony Ozodinobi - who is now the Permanent Secratary Federal Ministry of Housing.

The late Chief Rufus Giwa of blessed memory was an important stakeholder as a member of the PTF board he worked closely with the Buhari and the board to see these happen. I am sure if CPC was to win , Bakare will work even more closely with Buhari.

I will also refer you to a book; "Buhari- the PTF Years"published in 1999 by Spectrum books, Ibadan in association with Safari books of Jersy Channel island UK. The whole book( 389 pages) will be most useful but specifically pages 165-176 in Chapter 6 will help you with my posting. Also chapter4 pages 99 to 115.
I am ready to provide you with more information if you want. The internet is a great revolution for information sharing , unfortunately anything can be written on any subject and may not necessarily be true . It is the best medium for cheap propaganda and the dissemination of false information so giving you a link does not prove anything at all.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by efisher(m): 4:31pm On Apr 07, 2011
Quit wiping the man's economic back-side! He made a mess of himself and the mess has dried up hard on his skin over the years. No amount of bleach can wash off the history. He goofed and should not be given the opportunity to do same with our economy once more. We need to make a clean break from this perambulation and move forward.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by OmoTier1(m): 5:18pm On Apr 07, 2011
Beaf:

There is no greater show of shame and utter visionlessness! Buhari wasn't equipped to deal with economics and the modern World, decades ago in 1985's analogue environment. How will he fare in todays fast paced digital and highly sophisticated environment?

For all your silly rants, I only asked you a question: Of the 30trn Naira your rogue PDP has embazzled/wasted in Nigeria since 1999, would 250bn of that sum not have had Lagos running effectively with a metroline?

For heaven sake! Name 5 major projects PDP at FG level has excuted in lagos since 1999! Otherwise go and hole up in the mountains of calabar at eat your stinky PDP bribe - blind folded & folly at the highest level.

FYI, am not a CPC supported and I am voting ACN at all elections except at Presidential where I will thumb print for BB2011! May trip from UK to Nigeria was not to vote for a rogue element to continue to loot the treasury without creating any value in the system!
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by seanet02: 5:34pm On Apr 07, 2011
What baffles me about this Dumb and deaf Buhari supporters is their inability to reason along the Righteous route. Buhari deliberately cancelled the Project because he has Nil IQ!! Apologize or get lost!!
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by omanzo02: 5:46pm On Apr 07, 2011
Cancelling that project was a flawed decision, I can't understand why some delusional people on here support Buhari's gravious mistake that have taken Lagos 25 years backward in developement. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by leoebhos(m): 5:53pm On Apr 07, 2011
This is bullshit, what is he trying to say. we all understand that the debt was killing him because he could not be diplomatic enough to handle it. If he had done it he would have recover almost everything in his tenure. these leader are always not comfortable with Nigeria' future.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by aribisala0(m): 5:53pm On Apr 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Also, you do know that at that time Lagos state was the Capital of Nigeria, and it was not until Babangida(1991- almost 6 years later) that it was moved to Abuja. Abuja, Katsina, Kano, even after so many hausa leaders still do not rival Lagos.  undecided undecided undecided
actually lagos state was never the capital of nigeria. a common error
lagos was, depending on definition; victoria island lagos island and ikoyi up to somewhere in yaba /mainland area. this is where the white man ruled us from before he left.
lagos state was created in 1967 or 1968.  we had a capital  before that
all other parts e.g  ikeja used to be part of the old Western region. after lagos state was created the status did not change but the fedral govt. sited several projects in lagos state partly because there was no space in Lagos the federal capital but because of the economic case e.g the airport and expansion of the old seaport.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by OmoTier1(m): 6:11pm On Apr 07, 2011
omanzo02:

Cancelling that project was a flawed decision, I can't understand why some delusional people on here support Buhari's gravious mistake that have taken Lagos 25 years backward in developement. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
seanet02:

What baffles me about this Dumb and deaf Buhari supporters is their inability to reason along the Righteous route. Buhari deliberately cancelled the Project because he has Nil IQ!! Apologize or get lost!!
So your daft reasoning would suggest that during recession, more so when your economy is very weak, you can go on and borrow despite not knowing how much debt you already had and how much was coming into your purse! Can I remind you that His made it clear that He based his decision on a committed findings, hence your effort should be geared towards knowing what the recommendations of the committee was and the reasons behind it. The fact that He did not UNILATERALLY take that decision to cancell the project says alot.

If I submitt to your reasoning (albit bereft) that Buhari cancelled it on ethnic grounds, why then did Obasanjo in his 8-years militocracy not see it right to revamp the project? Why did Obasanjo's successors (Yardua & Jonathan) not see it fit as a laudable project what embarking upon? After all they were and are in power at a time the price of oil is sky-mile. Goes to show that your puppet PDP led government is bereft of ideas and can not fathom what Nigeria truly needs to move the nation forward!
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by seguno2: 6:17pm On Apr 07, 2011
He cancels metro system in Lagos and explains only three decades after  shocked
He canceled UPE, Universal Primary Education (to continue raising almajiris who can vote as underaged for him later on), so he can be patron saint of Boko Haram (no to western education) no explanation yet  shocked  shocked
He jailed VP Alex Ekwueme, Igbo and put the president Shehu Shagari, his hausa/fulani brother, under posh Ikoyi house arrest  shocked  shocked  shocked

BB = Bad Belle
God forbid a pretentious hypocrite for my dear country, Nigeria

[size=18pt]Africa does not need great men (brutes & bullies). It needs great democratic institutions (equitable law & order). - Barack Obama[/size]
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by aribisala0(m): 6:19pm On Apr 07, 2011
well  there is a recession now an everyone is borrowing.even gej. last year we had deficit financing in the budget.
the project was a state government project.
this is related to the fact that even when lagos was capital it would have covered territory mostly outside the federal capital area.
buhari was able to cancel it because it was a military government. even the third mainland bridge was suspended though i am not sure about the details of this one.
this should explain by obj did not revamp it. it was/is a state project.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by efisher(m): 6:20pm On Apr 07, 2011
This video shows how clueless Buhari was when it came to matters of the economy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBSWhA6z-54

This is an Ogodomigoditic perspective of the thoughts triggered by the video:

It is known world over that Buhari was and is a heedless economic botch! He rashly promised Nigerians a turnaround of supermanic scale. At the end of the day, he engaged the reverse gear and crashed-landed Nigeria into an unfathomable maze of economic ping pong. His obdurate nature consumed him and he refused to heed the call for a time-out. He is known to be stiff-necked in his approach to issues. Unwilling to take the highway of wisdom. Juggernauting ahead off the tarred road. The perfect recipe for fiasco.

He met Nigerians in a state of broken brass, entered office with a promise of diamond and left Nigerians with thick black soot. The same man has come again to finish off his half boiled meal. He is back again with lofty promises accompanied by an erratic loudspeaker with little or no volume control. How many forgetful Nigerians does he hope to plunge back into his rotten pot?

It is clear that this is his end game. The wood is burnt out and all that will be left are the ashes and the thick smoke rising from the midst. Around it, the younger generation will sit and hear the story of the greedy man who was consumed by the greed within him that he couldn't see the fire that burnt around him.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by seguno2: 6:33pm On Apr 07, 2011
Buhari accepted the Abacha contraption and was one of the first few who embraced Abacha quite early and saw nothing wrong in the annulment of MKO Abiola's freely given mandate.
Buhari was therefore rewarded with the chairmanship of the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) by his friend, General Sani Abacha. The PTF had annual budgets that were far more than what most states of the federation received from the federal purse. The Fund began in 1996 with an initial capital of almost 60 billion naira. It was a duplication of social services and it became the bottomless pit that allowed the Northern Oligarchy to loot the national treasury once again.
It was like the return of the Nigerian National Supply Company (NNSC) and contracts were flowing and doing so in abundance, but available only to the Oligarchy who will then turn around to sell the contract papers to a Southerner at huge profit. It all became a joke in Lagos about how some people procured the paper and made billions and some bought the paper and do all the work for little or nothing!
Buhari's PTF built roads at federal, state and local government levels at a time when the Federal Ministry of Work lacked the funds to repair roads.
PTF also procured drugs at a time when the Federal Ministry of Heath did not have the budget to provide drugs for federal hospitals. It was said that the PTF had 115.6 billion naira available to it as at December 31, 1997, funds that were never audited or properly accounted for. Like Abacha and the rest of his government, the PTF was set up to provide an opportunity to loot without any need for accountability; and corruption and indiscipline were never fought at that level. A wise former head of state would have seen that PTF was an alternative government and he would have rejected the offer to be part of it, but not Mr. Buhari. PTF brought untold opportunities and allowed him to practically rebuild Katsina, Kaduna and the rest of the north while a few projects were thrown at the Southern States.

Does anyone remember NNSC, Buhari's parastatal for importing almost everything like rice, milk etc thus killing local agriculture and agro-allied industries while making many soldiers and cronies of his dictatorship billionaires instantly.
Buhari is not only a religious and ethnic bigot he is also economically clueless.

[size=18pt]BB= Bad Belle[/size]
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by tlops(m): 6:47pm On Apr 07, 2011
nuff of the beaf-ing, even if it had been done then, I wonder what good it will be now comparing the state of NITEL, MTEL, Nigrian railway Corporation, Nigerian Airways, even the water boards of the then 19 states, the only thing keeping NEPA alive is what I dont know, we need to be discipline as a nation.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by marvel10: 6:50pm On Apr 07, 2011
I am dissapointed to hear of such lack of hindsight on Buhari's part. I have often hailed Jakande as the best governor Lagos had (even better than Fashola, given the vulgar sums of money that changes hands these days). The traffic in Lagos is depressing. I saw work in progress on the railway lines and that is chugging nicely these days. I just couldn't understand why there is never any light in the carriages in the dark. Fashola must sit up with the metroline project. I feel that perhaps it has been slowed down not so much due to finances, but because it would put all those Danfo, Red buses etc out of business. Surely fewer ppl will drive if they can plan their journeys from A to B in x or y mins or hours. That is pretty much impossible in Lagos these days. Why should any human being have to leave their homes at 5am and then return at 10pm. It is unfair!
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by JimmyBoy1: 6:51pm On Apr 07, 2011
First of all, I do not believe most of the stories these media houses have been peddling as the election is getting nearer. At the same time it is not absurd to take measures to reduce your budget deficit if your debt profile is going beyond tolerable limits.

Secondly,  America's public finance is in stalemate at the moment, as Republican led House of Reps are trying to  ensure that the Democrat led Executive cuts down  on deficit spending, President Obama has been trying to work out a compromise budget in the last three days.Mind you, this budgeted  expenditure is meant for things that of public good. We all remembered that battle Obama fought to pass the healthcare bill, which the republican dominated Reps are now looking for ways to repeal due to concerns about high budget deficit, are you now saying that Congress members also hate Americans too?  

That is an an environment where Value for Money is guanteed, where every kobo budgeted will eventually be used for original intent of the budget. . Go and check price of Crude Oil in 1983-1985, it was a period of glut in oil market and prices were at lowest levels, which eventually led to the introduction SAP by IBB's regime.

Again, the concept of BOOT (Build, Own, Operate and Transfer) of PPP(Private Public Partneship) was non existent at that time, so it would not have been possible for Private institution to handle the project. These loans where what culminated into monster that Obasanjo managed to write-off during his administartion. Unfortunately, Yaradua and GEJ administration has built the loan portfolio back, domestic debts alone runs into trillions. Foreign reserve  has almost dissappeared. In 2011 budget, President Jonathan  has budgeted to spend every kobo on Recurrent Expenditure(Salaries, repairs, stationeries e.t.c) while every kobo for Capital Expenditure (Roads, Bridges, Power Grids  etc)  will have to be borrowed. This is a period where crude oil has been hovering above $100 per barrel.  

GEJ  and PDP are makin you poorer and you are saying you are lucky, God forbid

Buhari Bakare Jor
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 7:15pm On Apr 07, 2011
X-factoria:

Kobojunkie, do you realize how annoying you can be at times?? If you don't believe this and you weren't born then, why don't you just ask your father, mother, uncle or any member of your family who were born then??

The way you attack clear evidences and records is portraying you in bad light, babe! You want to be seen as objective but you are damn opposite.

Please make sense for once!!!

If you have nothing substantial to add to the discussion . . . it is best you not post at all. Someone asks a question and you instinctively feel the best thing to do is attack the person for asking?? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 7:18pm On Apr 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]Lagos asks the Federal Government to guarantee a loan . . . . Federal Government says NO -- it has to deal with more pressing debt issues --- which it continued to for about a decade later  --- but Lagos, as a result of the refusal, had to pay 60% back in penalties?[/size]

I say again . . .  something does not seem right with this!
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 07, 2011
i dey come
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by AlabaSlim: 7:32pm On Apr 07, 2011
I nw C Y sum fools wil knowli sorpot Osama Binhari evun if d man kil dier fada lyk Prof Ambrose,Onabanjo,Solarin etc dey go sti cal dier own fada thief den cal d JIHADIST SAINT
nonsense
SAI GEJ
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by AlabaSlim: 7:32pm On Apr 07, 2011
I nw C Y sum fools wil knowli sorpot Osama Binhari evun if d man kil dier fada lyk Prof Ambrose,Onabanjo,Solarin etc dey go sti cal dier own fada thief den cal d JIHADIST SAINT
nonsense
SAI GEJ
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by EzeCanada: 7:46pm On Apr 07, 2011
BE WARNED !!!
Buhari will destroy Nigeria once he has the Power in his hands. He is a fanatic
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by aribisala0(m): 7:49pm On Apr 07, 2011
i think the metro issue is too complex to be blamed on one man. i speak as a lagos state native. the metro line at that time i think was poorly conceived and certainly did not anticipate the kind of population las now has maybe that is a blessing. leaving that to one side. the FG is not obliged to guarantee the loans of LASG. unfortunate but true. we are not the only ones in the country.
there actually  are contracts that have those kinds of penalty clauses that make it impossible to withdraw. interesting nobody is blaming jakande for that.
buhari was the head of that government but i believe there were other key players too.
the other thing is nobody has told us whether the final penalty was rescheduled renegotiated etc and over how long it was paid and how much actually ended up in nigerian pockets .
finally this sort of thing,sadly has been going on far too long but is not peculiar to buhari  or even africa. it happens here in the uk. that is government for you.it still happens now in naija but you will hear later.
i say all of this for the sake of objectivity not because i would encourage anyone to vote for him but i believe partisanship should not becloud  objectivity. i would not vote for buhari because i don't believe in the guy but this particular issue for me is a non-issue.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by aribisala0(m): 7:51pm On Apr 07, 2011
i think he would make a good minister of works smiley
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Xfactoria: 8:02pm On Apr 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

If you have nothing substantial to add to the discussion . . . it is best you not post at all. Someone asks a question and you instinctively feel the best thing to do is attack the person for asking?? undecided undecided undecided

You should desist from asking glaringly nonsensical questions!!!
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Mariory(m): 8:14pm On Apr 07, 2011
I have said it before. We have not forgotten history. Seems Buhari and his supporters are starting to realize this fact. The doses of realism will continue. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop / Interesting Places And Tourist Attractions In Lagos - With Pictures / Arase, Kanu Nwankwo, John Fashanu & Others At A Police Event In Abuja.Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.