Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,103 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari (15333 Views)

Why I Cancelled Lagos Metroline Project –buhari / Akinjide Attacks Buhari For Truncating Lagos Metroline Project / Why I Cancelled Lagos Metroline Project-buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by JimmyBoy1: 8:19pm On Apr 07, 2011
Two things annoy me most on NL, ignorance and mischief. The claim that Lagos paid $79m is quite mischievous and no wonder  that they did not quote the source of the story.
The story says that the Buhari cancelled the project by ensuring that federal government does not  guarantee the loan. By this statement, we can identify four parties to this transaction i.e Lagos, FG, Vendor and Financier, there may be others.

A Loan Guanratee is one of the things we call " Conditions Precedent To Drawdown" in Financial markets parlance. It simply means that , before I avail you XYZ loan you must submit ABC documents to me, otherwise no deal. Therefore, Lagos stated had not consumated the finacials arrangement of the transaction. Now, I have a question for[b] Bear and company[/b], If you do not have a cent of your own, and you are yet to finalize your financial arrangement, can you enter into any agreement with any vendor that he should go ahead and build a metro line  and if you do not pay, you will have to pay 60% of the contract value as penalty? Nobody dares answer yes, because those that can say so are recieving treatment in psychiatric hospitals at the moment.

Apparently a feasibilty study had been done, but the final agreement had not been finalized, therefore there could not have been any breach of contract that could attract $79m penalty.
Please let us learn how to present our cases with facts and truths, you guys were just planning to take advantage of ignorance in some section of NL.  

But you cant stop us,  BB all the way jare.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by POTUT(m): 8:25pm On Apr 07, 2011
This call for Buhari is completely absurd!

If he truly has anything to offer, he ought to have raised young Nigerians who share his philosophy for leadership and solving the Nigerian problem and equipped them to run for office on the platform of the CPC.

It will only be a matter of two terms and IBB will emerge as a gracefully ageing statesman to woo the young nigerians of that time to vote for him. Next all manner of media contractors will start twisting and bending history to misinform young citizens of Nigeria on how IBB saved Nigeria from collapse and how he refused to handover power to June 12 winner because it would have wrecked Nigeria and blah blah blah.

After IBB in 2023, OBJ will remerge to resume the cycle of the axis of evil.

The heads of many Nigerians are collectively being spun in a persistent centrifuge that prevents them from making a clean break from history.

Buhari cannot offer much to our NIgeria of today. Neither will any of the others. Nigeria is in a dilemma and only the sort of action we took when Yar'adua went missing by marching in Lagos and Abuja can return true power to us.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by bdidi: 8:27pm On Apr 07, 2011
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 8:33pm On Apr 07, 2011
aribisala0:

i think the metro issue is too complex to be blamed on one man. i speak as a lagos state native. the metro line at that time i think was poorly conceived and certainly did not anticipate the kind of population las now has maybe that is a blessing. leaving that to one side. the FG is not obliged to guarantee the loans of LASG. unfortunate but true. we are not the only ones in the country.

As much as I do not support those choosing to lampoon without making sure to know the facts of what happened first, I will say this   . . . Lagos State Government back then had very good ideas both, in the works and already implemented, and so I don't believe it was poorly conceived -- probably have issue with the financing bit(if it really cost the people as claimed).

Definitely agree that the FG is not obligated to favouring one state at anytime.

aribisala0:

there actually  are contracts that have those kinds of penalty clauses that make it impossible to withdraw. interesting nobody is blaming jakande for that.

That is why I am asking again for someone with more details to provide it so we better analyze this. I doubt Jakande would have made a deal of this sort . . . it just does not seem like him to tie the people down to such a deal.

aribisala0:

buhari was the head of that government but i believe there were other key players too.
the other thing is nobody has told us whether the final penalty was rescheduled renegotiated etc and over how long it was paid and how much actually ended up in nigerian pockets .

Hence the reason why I believe more detail is necessary!
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Bensonite: 8:40pm On Apr 07, 2011
Good post and discussions on issues. I am glad some people are seeing the realities now. I once  taught Buhari was the best thing for Nigeria but with all this emerging facts he is certainly cluesless and has poor decision making capabilities.  Can someone ask him to explain if the Nigerian constitution allows him to plot coup, sorrry guys if I go off the topic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by aribisala0(m): 8:57pm On Apr 07, 2011
if the information on the monorail website is all we have the i must say it is worse than useless.i really do not know why we are stuck on this even if if were true which i doubt it is more an indictment of jakande than buhari
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by member479760: 9:09pm On Apr 07, 2011
Buhari cancelled a metroline project saying it makes no sence to execute the project while we are owning, very interesting that some people on this forum are still supporting him. are we not owing now? is USA not owning? that means if Buhary come to power (GOD FORBID) no project will be executed again again, the whole system will collapse because we are owing. wake up guys.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by headtoto: 9:38pm On Apr 07, 2011
Buhari is a thin necked almajiri.

Lagos State ended up paying much more to the contractors as contract violation fees, much more than it would have cost to build the metroline.

Buhari is a lier and a thin necked cow and a twert.,
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Gayigaskia(m): 9:42pm On Apr 07, 2011
PDP and JEG spending money for new posters on NL. Has anyone noticed GEJ supporters tend to have very low posts?

But the truth is even Lagos had the rail project executed in 1983,the looters in PDP will not maintain in it to see the light of 2011. Case in point countless infrastructures build before PDP were now all gone in waste. That Lagos subway would have been sitting in Oshodi without power and diesel to run it.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by OJ2010: 9:48pm On Apr 07, 2011
I was supporting BB before and i have been having doubts about his administrative/managarial competence but with this fact about metroline project i have changed my mind. Its GEJ for presido!
Not Ribadu because he is not stable, he said before when he was in charge of EFCC that Tinubu's corruption is of international dimension but now it is the same Tinubu that is his party leader, so my question is what has changed since then?
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by xremmy(m): 9:52pm On Apr 07, 2011
Gbolahan MudasiruGbolahan MudasiruGovernor of Lagos StateIn officeJanuary 1984 – August 1986Preceded byLateef JakandeSucceeded byMike AkhigbeBorn1945Died23 September 2003

Air Commodore Gbolahan Mudasiru (1945 - 23 September 2003) was a Nigerian officer who was appointed Governor of Lagos State, Nigeria, holding office between January 1984 and August 1986 during the military regimes of General Muhammadu Buhari and his successor General Ibrahim Babangida.

[1]As governor, he continued the work of his predecessor Alhaji Lateef Kayode Jakande in improving schools infrastructure and the standards of teaching. He also introduced improved measures to keep the streets clean and orderly.[2] He attempted to ban street traders, but without success.[3] He set up committees to review the Lagos Metro line project initiated by Jakande, which recommended going ahead with the project, but it was cancelled on the orders of the head of state, General Buhari.[4] After a major fire devastated the Oko-Baba area of Ebute Meta, Mudasiru initiated construction of a medium Income Housing Estate.[5] After he left office, construction of schools ceased and existing buildings were no longer maintained.

Please take note of Number 3
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gbolahan_Mudasiru
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by aribisala0(m): 9:55pm On Apr 07, 2011
OJ2010:

I was supporting BB before and i have been having doubts about his administrative/managarial competence but with this fact about metroline project i have changed my mind. Its GEJ for presido!
Not Ribadu because he is not stable,  he said before when he was in charge of EFCC that Tinubu's corruption is of international dimension but now it is the same Tinubu that is his party leader, so my question is what has changed since then?
maybe i should ask you the same question what has changed.
what fact? you have said why you won't vote for the others it is not clear why you are voting for GEJ
i won't vote for buhari because i don't like him and i do not need to dress that up. but i do not see any new FACTS as you call them.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Beaf: 9:57pm On Apr 07, 2011
nakedall:

Buhari cancelled a metroline project saying it makes no sence to execute the project while we are owning, very interesting that some people on this forum are still supporting him. are we not owing now? is USA not owning? that means if Buhary come to power (GOD FORBID) no project will be executed again again, the whole system will collapse because we are owing. wake up guys.

Buhari's action isn't surprising, considering that he played very active roles in the govts that oversaw the death of manufacturing, cotton, rubber, cocoa, groundnuts etc; all for easy oil and poverty.
The shortsightedness of those regimes led by primitive semi-literate armed men, led to Nigerians having to line up for essential commodities (Essenco in Buhari's time), like Omo, toothpaste, milk, bread, toilet roll, rice etc, during Buhari and IBB's regimes. Reason? Oil prices had fallen. embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Wadeoye(m): 10:05pm On Apr 07, 2011
NL Poll: How Lagosians will vote in the Presidential Election

Latest Poll Result:

Question: Lagosians: Who will you vote for  (Voting closes: April 24, 2011, 10:49 AM)

Jonathan/Sambo  81 (26%)
Buhari/Bakare  172 (55.1%)
Ribadu/Adeola  17 (5.4%)
Shekarau  4 (1.3%)
Others  1 (0.3%)
I'm not voting in Lagos  37 (11.9%)
Remove Vote

Total Votes: 312

Lagosians know the kind of leader they want.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by headtoto: 10:07pm On Apr 07, 2011
Gayigaskia:

PDP and JEG spending money for new posters on NL. Has anyone noticed GEJ supporters tend to have very low posts?

But the truth is even Lagos had the rail project executed in 1983,the looters in PDP will not maintain in it to see the light of 2011. Case in point countless infrastructures build before PDP were now all gone in waste. That Lagos subway would have been sitting in Oshodi without power and diesel to run it.

but the same PDP has revived the railway system. say something else.

1 Like

Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by emcaluv(m): 10:13pm On Apr 07, 2011
This will help

The recent threat by Special Duties Minister, Navy Captain Caleb Olubolade (rtd), that the Federal Government may revoke the Abuja light rail project calls for concern by all stakeholders. The Nigerian government had signed a deal worth $840 million (about N133 billion today) in 2007 with the China Civil Engineering Construction Company for an intra-city rail system to solve the rising problem of traffic congestion in the federal capital and ease transportation between the city, its suburbs and satellite towns.

Funded jointly by the Federal Government and the Ministry of the Federal Capital Territory, the rail project is planned to connect the city centre, the districts and satellite towns with high-speed light trains ferrying thousands of commuters to and from their places of work, business or recreation. It is expected that, when fully in operation, about 1,000 persons will be moved by the rail coaches every few minutes.

The project, despite being dogged by the usual controversy over costs, processes and delays, is a worthwhile venture and should not be abandoned. Abuja certainly needs it to tackle the chaos that has crept into its transportation system. The existing facilities have proved inadequate to handle the population influx as road transport in the territory is gradually replicating the nightmare in Lagos, the former federal capital. A large and still growing urban conurbation needs a diversity of transportation modes and careful planning. Instructively, the original master plan for the FCT had envisaged a light rail project in anticipation of massive population growth.

Begun in 1976 and located in the central area of the nation, Abuja was carefully planned to be a well-laid-out urban centre. Abuja’s population grew from a few thousands in 1980 to reach about 403,000 in 2003 according to the United Nations while the 2006 national census put the population at 778,562. Experts even say more rapid migrations to the city have brought the figure to well over one million persons. Rapid population growth and increased commercial activities have since put tremendous pressure on the city’s buses, taxis and commercial motorcycles.

The Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology, Zaria, reckons that thousands of vehicles and one million passengers commute to Abuja daily from the satellite towns, suburbs and other states of the federation. Official sources say the real figures could be much higher. To tackle the problem, the FCT administration under a former minister, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, in 2005, banned commercial motorbikes (okada) from the city, restricting them to the satellite towns and suburbs; brought in over 600 buses in partnership with the private sector and launched a taxi cab system, while laying out plans for trams and the light rail system. But poor maintenance and funding have reduced the fleets. Traffic gridlocks are now common and residents commuting to and from the outlying areas face considerable hardship.

The ostensible reason for Olubolade’s threat to review the contract is that Nigerian engineers are allegedly not being employed by the contractor, CCECC. Head of a committee assessing federal projects, Alhaji Ibrahim Bunu, complained that the company had 1,500 persons on its payroll of which 100 were foreigners. Bunu and the minister were however irked that no Nigerian engineers were involved in the project. The 10 Nigerians described by CCECC as “engineers” were found to be artisans.

But was this clause built into the contract? While it is desirable, indeed, officials should insist, that Nigerian professionals be allowed on-the-job experience, it does not constitute sufficient ground to delay the LRT project. The government had already spent N27 billion on it by February this year and the money should not be allowed to go down the drain. Any issues or grey area in the execution should be decisively resolved with the contractor. The appropriate agencies should supervise and monitor the project to ensure that CCECC adheres strictly to the terms of the agreement.

The government should avoid repeating the grievous error it made with the Lagos Metroline project in 1984/85. Conceived in 1980 by Lagos State government under Alhaji Lateef Jakande, the $700 million Lagos Metroline contract was awarded to a French consortium and was planned to drastically ameliorate the Lagos traffic problems.

It was planned to carry up to 40,000 persons per hour to and from the suburbs and Lagos Island. But in a fit of arrogance, the Buhari-Idiagbon military junta that sacked the civilian government in 1984 finally terminated the contract in 1985. That avoidable policy somersault cost the Lagos tax payer $78 million in judgment debt and three more decades of prolonged traffic pains in the metropolis.

The Abuja LRT project must not go the way of the Lagos Metroline project which now requires $3 billion to complete what $700 million would have accomplished in the mid-1980s.

The Federal Government must insist on using the project to expose competent Nigerian professionals to rail technology but it must not derail this project nor countenance cost overruns and delays.

www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201006024172240
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Beaf: 10:16pm On Apr 07, 2011
Excerpt from an interview with a far sighted visionery and father of the Lagos metro line project, Alhaji Lateef Kayode Jakande.
Published 22/07/2009

[img]http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/thumbnail.php?file=JAKANDE_236045951.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

The metro line was frustrated. Would it have made any difference today, judging by the chaotic transportation situation in Lagos?

Thank you. Metro line was one programme which I endeavoured to implement. Till today, I am saddened by the fact that the metro line was cancelled. You know, given the geography of Lagos, there is no alternative to metro line. Wheather this year, or next year, 10 years or 20 years, there must be metro line in Lagos State.

The reason is that the landscape is limited. The programme was designed so that passengers could be carried on rails while the roads are free for other means of transportation. What pained me most was that the government of Gbolahan Mudasiru under the Buhari regime set up three different committees on the project and each of them recommended it. One of them recommended price reduction. But, they all believed it was possible. One even wondered how we had succeeded, so far. The cost of the metro line at that time, by our negotiation, was N700 million. The terms of agreement were advance payment by Lagos State government, 10 per cent, and the balance was to be paid by the French consortium, all the 19 companies. Ninety per cent of the cost was to be borrowed. We had actually determined the corridors and appointed a French General Manager. But, suddenly, Buhari, even against the wish of Lagos State government- cancelled the metro line. I have no doubt in my mind that metro line will come back, but at a terrible cost. In my view, Lagos has no choice.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/11139/1/My-participation-in-Abacha-govt-was-an-act-of-God/Page1.html

Bless you sir! Words of a true administrator, overthrown and jailed by Buhari for no reason.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by kliffo(m): 10:24pm On Apr 07, 2011
Buhari is clearly a leader that lacks vision. The decision to cancel the metroline project
was dumb.His explanation just underscores this fact.
Nigeria needs better and more visionary  leadership in this age and time.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Lagoseko(m): 10:30pm On Apr 07, 2011
Buhari aborted our nescant democracy. Now he wants us to vote him. He has forgotten the law of carmag. Dear fellow legosians,vote GEJ.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by naijaking1: 10:34pm On Apr 07, 2011
Beaf:

Excerpt from an interview with a far sighted visionery and father of the Lagos metro line project, Alhaji Lateef Kayode Jakande.
Published 22/07/2009

[img]http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/thumbnail.php?file=JAKANDE_236045951.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/11139/1/My-participation-in-Abacha-govt-was-an-act-of-God/Page1.html

Bless you sir! Words of a true administrator, overthrown and jailed by Buhari for no reason.

When visionaries like Jakande speak, myopic tyrants like Buhari ought not be in the way.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by debosky(m): 10:37pm On Apr 07, 2011
To provide additional context, let's hear from Jakande himself:

Explaining how Shagari and Buhari worked against the metro-rail project, Jakande said there was delay after the N700 million metro-line project was awarded to a French firm with the arrangement to first pay N70 million and pay the rest in the space of two years.

He said the delay compelled him to ask "my commissioner for works to investigate why the N70 million mobilisation fund was not released. The commissioner investigated and discovered that it was President who asked the Central Bank of Nigeria not to release the money.

"I was told President Shagari was angry because I did not congratulate him after his controversial election and because I won election on the platform of an opposition party. I later approached him and explained the problem facing execution of the project and that CBN refused N70 million reserved for its take-off.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200907230352.html
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by naijaking1: 10:46pm On Apr 07, 2011
Sadly some said Buhari didn't want the Yorubas to "progress'" too much with the metroline.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 10:57pm On Apr 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]Lagos asks the Federal Government to guarantee a loan . . . . Federal Government says NO -- it has to deal with more pressing debt issues --- which it continued to for about a decade later  --- but Lagos, as a result of the refusal, had to pay 60% back in penalties?[/size]

I say again . . .  something does not seem right with this!

The former governor explained that he had resolved to withdraw the money in line with the advice of the CBN governor, "but the military coup of Gen. Buhari stopped the process".

He said after the Buhari administration took off, the then military administrator of Lagos State, Air Commodore Gbolahan Mudashiru, initially pledged to complete the project.

"I was in the office of Mudashiru one day when I heard that the metroline project had been cancelled despite the fact that there was an initial promise by the Mudashiru administration that the metro line project would be executed without let or hindrance. This is what Buhari has done to Lagos State," Jakande said.

Commenting on his decision to serve as a minister under the military regime headed by the late despotic leader, Gen. Sani Abacha, Jakande said he had no regret serving his fatherland between 1993 and 1994 as minister of works and housing.
also from http://allafrica.com/stories/200907230352.html

I definitely know Mudashiru also did much for Lagos but again, I don't remember reading anywhere that the cancellation of the railway line cost us upwards of $70 million. If it did, then it does not look good on Jakande, and I doubt the man could have pulled us into such a deal. For anyone to make such a claim against Jakande, you definitely would need to provide more than this.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Mariory(m): 11:00pm On Apr 07, 2011
debosky:

Explaining how Shagari and Buhari worked against the metro-rail project, Jakande said there was delay after the N700 million metro-line project was awarded to a French firm with the arrangement to first pay N70 million and pay the rest in the space of two years.

He said the delay compelled him to ask "my commissioner for works to investigate why the N70 million mobilisation fund was not released. The commissioner investigated and discovered that it was President who asked the Central Bank of Nigeria not to release the money.

"I was told President Shagari was angry because I did not congratulate him after his controversial election and because I won election on the platform of an opposition party. I later approached him and explained the problem facing execution of the project and that CBN refused N70 million reserved for its take-off.

To provide even more context from the man himself (continued from the excerpt you posted):

"President Shagari said it was because there was fuel crisis. He said the CBN governor would visit him that evening and that he would get back to me after talking to him on the metro-line project fund. I quickly replied that I would wait for him since I considered him paramount to undo the knots on the release of the fund," he said.

Jakande who clocks 80 today, said: "The CBN governor finally arrived, and President Shagari raised the issue of N70 million metro-line project fund. But the CBN governor said the fund cannot be released at once. He asked me to withdraw as many times as possible citing the reasons of bad economy and increasing fuel crisis at the period."

The former governor explained that he had resolved to withdraw the money in line with the advice of the CBN governor, "but the military coup of Gen. Buhari stopped the process".

He said after the Buhari administration took off, the then military administrator of Lagos State, Air Commodore Gbolahan Mudashiru, initially pledged to complete the project.

"I was in the office of Mudashiru one day when I heard that the metroline project had been cancelled despite the fact that there was an initial promise by the Mudashiru administration that the metro line project would be executed without let or hindrance. This is what Buhari has done to Lagos State," Jakande said.

Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 11:04pm On Apr 07, 2011
^^^^ Actually, it was not the millitary coup because the project was supposedly cancelled in 1985, during Mudashiru's time as governor, and more than a year after the coup! grin
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by kliffo(m): 11:09pm On Apr 07, 2011
debosky:

Our leaders [i] are so petty[/i]
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by goshen(m): 11:23pm On Apr 07, 2011
I wonder why Pro-GEJ supporters find it extremely difficult to reason logically and have chosen to be fatuous. Let's even assume for once that - Buhari wrongly cancelled the deal/project, I want to believe that -  

1. If the project was that critical to Lagos state government, the 15months rule of buhari should not have been enough to kill the project. Subsequent governors or military administrators could have re-visited the project after Buhari was ousted.
2. If stopping this contract was the only wrong you could place on Buhari; then, he must be a saint. I mean, compare to the broad day light robbery of PDP's 12 years rule. I am also inclined to ask GEJ supporters if Buhari also ANNULED the muribund NEPA/PHCN. OHhhh, it was not NEPA he annulled; it was 12 yrs old uncompleted LAGOS-IBADAN express way. Infact, he also cancelled and sabotage all your refineries.

Guys and Undecided voters - anyone rooting for PDP or GEJ, are doing that because they are direct beneficiary of PDP looting.  We have a golden opportunity to vote these pirates out once and for ethernity; let not toy with for a bag of rice or few crumbs they are throwing down from their lofty table. Those few crumbs get to you now because they need you pubicity. Why settle for crumbs when you can eat from the table.

on buhari, He may NOT be the smartest guy out there, but I trust him. He is smart enough to surround himself with technocrats that will be accountable to him. I trust him to probe these Technocrats, in the events they fail; UNLIKE the cronies that PDP award contracts to, who are untouchable.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by nagoma(m): 11:27pm On Apr 07, 2011
na_so
Pleas read. The support to iju waterworks was to ensure that the water projected funded by ADB is completed by the Lagos state government.Coulnt it exonerate him for the ealier reconsideration? It is a shame such projects do not even come to limelight and good people like na_so are even doubting if the actually happened!
it's only the metro project which was probably just on somebody's mind & not even on paper that is so exhautively discussed. I am sure there are hundreds of such good thinking in lagos and elsewhere that has never materialized due to financial constraint ( my plan to build a mansion in Lagos for example) or the plan by CRoss river state govt to build an international world class tourism outfit.
By the way when Buhari allegedly stopped the dream of metro from taking off in 1985 did he stop it from coming up later when he was not in power and far away from Lagos? It is now 25 years, if there was a genuine desire to build 10 metros it could have been done!!in my view The metro project is just another red herring to imply that this gentleman Buhari had other intenTions than than doing the best possible with what was affordable , just like a good leader should do.
why is nobody revisiting the idea? What about obasanjo in his 8 years , was he stopped by Buhari?

The high speed line being buit in SOuth Africa between Pretoria, Johannnesburgh and Oliver Tambo airport was commenced last year and will be completed in 2012.
Why doesn't somebody me
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Eziachi: 11:36pm On Apr 07, 2011
BP:

I hope you also know that Lagos State had to pay about 60% of that sum as penalties for backing out(and the back out penalty was priced in dollars). That makes absolutely no sense to me. Why should I pay 60% to get nothing when I could have paid 100% and enjoyed a lot of benefits?

Whoever gave Buhari this excuse is clearly not thinking.
Even in this century people like your still  spread this kind of jargon. It shows how some of you are as inept as your leaders when it comes to managing money.
So who is this debt collector that will come and get this your 60% if they can't afford it anymore? And how much did they get when they did cancel the project?

Only a fool will guarantee a $100m contract in 1984 when they met Nigerians scavenging from the refuse heaps as the treasury was left totally empty and oil price at its lowest price.
Look at the present world's tumbling economy especially in Europe and America who are now going through a terrible recession, the current economic word in vogue is "SPENDING CUTs" Obama want to cut 30% and the republican even wants to cut 60% in order to balance the book. Here in  the U.K, in my constituency alone, a 1.2 billion pound Neurological Hospital proposed by the last Labour govt has now been scrapped due to cuts and recesion. In Nigeria, your president is buying a new set of presidential jets in the midst of worst economic crisis for decades.

In the 80s too Mbakwe proposed to build an international airport in Owerri, but when the army came, the new governor Ike Nwachukwu reported the issue to the SMC and just like the Lagos Metro, that too was cancelled due to lack of fund becuase they tooplanned to borrow heavily to fund it.
It was only later during Alison Madueke time as governor that Imo people, not the state/federal govt decided to build it through their own effort. The same Imo state was so skint that a tax called SURVIVAL LEVY was levied on everyone from primary school kids to all adults. That was how bad things were in 1984.

Nigeria is a country that thrive on rumour and now this man has explained what really happened it makes sense. because its only a fool that doesn't know the kind of Nigeria they inherited from Shagari.

1 Like

Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by reindeer: 11:56pm On Apr 07, 2011
God bless you Buhari!!!
NBigeria needs you right now.
Sai Buhari
BB 2011!
Sai Buhari
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Eziachi: 11:58pm On Apr 07, 2011
nakedall:

So will go ahead to borrow money to buy a brand new BMW on a high credit interest, even as you came home and your wife told you that debt collectors had been trying to kick the door down all morning and your kids haven't ate since morning because there is nothing left i your bank account and his business is about to crumble?

That is how much some of you fools know about money management.
No wonder governors all over Nigeria today are all over the bond markets borrowing billions they have no idea how its going to be paid but as long as he uses it to dig few 7th century borehole here an there, few elephant projects everybody will dance home happy like a baboon.

civilized NIGERIANS my back foot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Friendly Caricatures Of Nairalanders / Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop / FG To NLC: Return To Negotiation Table

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.