Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? (2059 Views)

What Does "Na Wa O" Mean In English / What Does 'ORU' Mean In Ijaw Language / Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Becomes The Youngest King In Ijaw Nation. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by LeoThaGreat(m): 5:26pm On Feb 10, 2021
I was wandering through the internet for business reasons when I came across an article about the Arogbo Izon People, an Ijaw (Izon) sub-ethnic group [and their businesses with Ìjèbú & Ilaje Yòrùbás].
The part that caught my attention, which also is the reason for this topic is where it was stated that:
"During the time of the expansion of the Benin kingdom (1550), the Benin invaded Ukoruama (Lagos). The Arogbo Izon sent soldiers to defend the Ijo living in that region. Their army camp became known as Idumu-Arogbo later shortened to Idumagbo (Lagosians should be familiar with Idumagbo Avenue."

Kindly note that in the earlier Portuguese maps of Yorubaland, the part now known as Lagos Island (or Èkó by Lagosians) is termed Kuramo. , from which Kuramo Beach (if it's still named as such) derived it's name.

I'm trying to formulate factual history in my head, not distorted ones. Ijaw people in the house, what does "Ukoruama" mean?
Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by googi: 5:13pm On Feb 14, 2021
Another meathead.

Na dis obsession with Eko in Lagos go kill una. Another Eko dey for Osun State nah.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by AlphaSoul: 2:37pm On Mar 27, 2021
LeoThaGreat:
I was wandering through the internet for business reasons when I came across an article about the Arogbo Izon People, an Ijaw (Izon) sub-ethnic group [and their businesses with Ìjèbú & Ilaje Yòrùbás].
The part that caught my attention, which also is the reason for this topic is where it was stated that:
"During the time of the expansion of the Benin kingdom (1550), the Benin invaded Ukoruama (Lagos). The Arogbo Izon sent soldiers to defend the Ijo living in that region. Their army camp became known as Idumu-Arogbo later shortened to Idumagbo (Lagosians should be familiar with Idumagbo Avenue."

Kindly note that in the earlier Portuguese maps of Yorubaland, the part now known as Lagos Island (or Èkó by Lagosians) is termed Kuramo. , from which Kuramo Beach (if it's still named as such) derived it's name.

I'm trying to formulate factual history in my head, not distorted ones. Ijaw people in the house, what does "Ukoruama" mean?
I've noticed over the last 21years that a lot of those ethnic websites and Wikipedia entries are riddled with fake ethnic history that never existed.

I'm in my 40s and since the advent of the Internet for public use in 1995,
I've seen a lot of word-of-mouth lies, or false history on Ijaw, Edo and Ibo blogs/websites.

This is how one mentally deranged fool wrote an embarassingly false article online which was posted on
NL as well about 10 years ago
claiming that Egbas or Ibos first settled in Abeokuta and that it was founded by them.

The Egba people who originally founded Abeokuta are a well-known branch of the Oyo people who originally lived in Ibadan area before migrating to establish Abeokuta in the early 1800s under Chief Sodeke because of the eruption of war.

Another Ibo historian and a cultural group from Aguleri (Aguleri has Igala mixed bloodlines. Igala language is Yoruboid just like Itsekiri), falsely claimed that Ijebu Igbo, Igbo Ora, Oke Igbo, Iponri in Lagos were founded by Ibos from the East.

This degenerate information in
Vanguard online is highly incorrect! Ijebu Igbo was founded by Ijebu-Yoruba migrants from Ijebu Ode.

Igbo or Ugbo in Yoruba means forest or bush. It also means Indian hemp!

Idumagbo is not an Ijaw word, but a fusion of Bini and Yoruba words.
Idumota is another word of Yoruba and Bini fusion.

The royalty of Lagos island is of
Awori-Yoruba and Bini cultural heritage. Asipa was an Awori of noble heritage from Iseri but his wife was a Bini woman who he came back to Eko with. This is the reason why the heads of past Elekos were buried in Eko (the paternal side in Yorubaland) and the bodies were buried in the maternal side or Benin). Ado was the name of the child born to Asipa and his Bini wife. Ado later became the king of Lagos island but the original land owners are an Awori-Yoruba noble man named Olofin and his descendants who settled on Iddo island and Eko island. This is the reason why the "white cap chiefs" exist on Lagos island.

Past Obas of Benin (after every 3
Obas) had their heads also buried
at "Orun Oba Ado" grove in Ile-Ife which is the paternal lineage of the Oranmiyan/Eweka dynasty in Benin, while the bodies without the heads were buried in the maternal lineage in Benin.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 27, 2021
AlphaSoul:

I've noticed over the last 21years that a lot of those ethnic websites and Wikipedia entries are riddled with fake ethnic history that never existed.

I've seen a lot of word-of-mouth lies, or false history on Ijaw, Edo and Ibo blogs/websites.

This is how one mentally deranged fool wrote an embarassingly false article online which was posted on
claiming that Egbas or Ibos first settled in Abeokuta and that it was founded by them.

The Egba people who originally founded Abeokuta are a well-known branch of the Oyo people who originally lived in Ibadan area before migrating to establish Abeokuta in the early 1800s under Chief Sodeke because of the eruption of war.

Another Ibo historian and a cultural group from Aguleri (Aguleri has Igala mixed bloodlines. Igala language is Yoruboid just like Itsekiri), falsely claimed that Ijebu Igbo, Igbo Ora, Oke Igbo, Iponri in Lagos were founded by Ibos from the East.

Vanguard online is highly incorrect! Ijebu Igbo was founded by Ijebu-Yoruba migrants from Ijebu Ode.

Awori-Yoruba and Bini cultural heritage. Asipa was an Awori of noble heritage from Iseri but his wife was a Bini woman who he came back to Eko with. This is the reason why the heads of past Elekos were buried in Eko (the paternal side in Yorubaland) and the bodies were buried in the maternal side or Benin). Ado was the name of the child born to Asipa and his Bini wife. Ado later became the king of Lagos island but the original land owners are an Awori-Yoruba noble man named Olofin and his descendants who settled on Iddo island and Eko island. This is the reason why the "white cap chiefs" exist on Lagos island.

at "Orun Oba Ado" grove in Ile-Ife which is the paternal lineage of the Oranmiyan/Eweka dynasty in Benin, while the bodies without the heads were buried in the maternal lineage in Benin.

Hope this helps.

You made the observation that Wikipedia and nairaland posts about African history are littered with lies, yet you proceed to serve your own lies.
So your problem is not the fact lies are being told, it is that the lie is not your own self serving lie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Mar 27, 2021
Just to set the record straight:

The earliest records of Benin were made in the 1400's and they show Lagos as being part of Benin Kingdom.

1 Like

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 27, 2021
AlphaSoul:

Hope this helps.

This is a big lie which the Yoruba like to tell in order to boost their ego. For some reason, claiming that the Oba of Benin "migrated" from Ife is an extreme ego booster for Yoruba.
The claim itself is ridiculous, not based on facts and an attempt to appropriate an other people's history.

For your information, oranmiyan is a fictional character, anybody reading this can see by this alone that you are deluded.

the ooni of Ife was a mere native doctor until colonisation in which the British elevated him and used him as their puppet. The actual real title of the ooni of Ife is (oni of IFA)

Ife is a mere village, it can not in any way be compared to Benin empire which has many villages and many cities Lagos, Benin city, Warri, Onitcha and Auchi being some of the cities of Benin Kingdom.

1 Like

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 27, 2021
Why do Yoruba people like to distort history so much:
1) some of them are ignorant of facts
2) some of them know Yoruba ancestors were slaves in Brazil who were deported to Southwest Nigeria after being freed
3) some lie just to aggrandise their very artificial tribe which is actually an amalgamation of many tribes and a heavy presence of slave descendants.
Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by LeoThaGreat(m): 9:54pm On Mar 27, 2021
Truthshots:
Just to set the record straight:

The earliest records of Benin were made in the 1400's and they show Lagos as being part of Benin Kingdom.

I told myself not to get involved in this particular conversation you are driving at, but I'll do it this once and may not talk about it again.
Plus I really need someone to answer my question in the topic and derailing this thread would be bad for that.

Firstly, the domain of the Oba of Lagos is from Obalende - Idumota, but for the sake of easy geographical understanding, I'll refer to the domain as Lagos Island (this excludes Victoria Island, Ìkòyí etc which has their independent monarchy (Irú [a descendant of Olofin] and Ìkòyí respectively).

If you visit Iga Idungaran, the current location of the palace of the Oba of Lagos [Island], you will see people willing to tell you their unfiltered history. Also, to set records straight are why Yòrùbás place regards for Oriki.

The relationship between Lagos Island and Bini is like the relationship Britain had with Nigeria before October 1st 1960. If you check the map of the British empire by 1900, you will see how much control Britain had on the world. Emphasis on the word "control." Because people discussing about this topic mostly mistaken control for being indigenous. Britain controlled Nigeria in 1954 for example doesn't mean they are indigenous to Nigeria. The same applies to Lagos Island & Bini.

The monarchy of Lagos [Island] is of Bini origin, but before the monarchy, Aromire, one of the children of Olofin Ogunfunminire, the progenitor of the Awori people, was in charge of that part of Lagos Island. As a matter of fact, Iga Idungaran which is the name of the palace of the Oba of Lagos [Island] roughly translates "Palace at the pepper farm." The monarchy has chiefs, the Idejo who are descendants of Ogunfunminire (Obanikoro, Bajulaiye & Ashogbon are chiefs of Bini origin). Furthermore, the Aromire family, to my surprise are still very much relevant on Lagos Island, encompassing Victoria Island and Ìkòyí, and on the Lagos Mainland parts by the lagoon shore (Ijora-Badia, Iddo, Iganmu, Otto and environs). This is far beyond the jurisdiction of the Oba of Lagos. I got to know they STILL wield so much power on Lagos Island (and environs) in a rant by Chief Abisoye Oshodi about Bola Tinubu and Rilwan Akiolu (the Oba of Lagos [Island).
Also, an interview of the Ojora if Ijora enlightened me further about him and other kings who descended from Aromire.

Whoever is in doubt that the Idejo, children of Olofin Ogunfunminire are the oònile (landlords) of Lagos [Island] and its mainland environs (this is beyond Oba of Lagos' jurisdiction) should know that this issue was INDIRECTLY settled/clarified in 1920 when Chief Amodu Tijani, the Oluwa of Lagos, took the British colonialists to the Privy Council in London. I think Herbert Macaulay was his lawyer. Judgement was made in 1921 in favour of Chief Oluwa.
The lesser kings of Lagos, the Idejos, who lost power to the colonial rulers, contested the rights to their land for decades in the 20th century.

Whoever doesn't believe this can make research by accessing the documents of this case.

PS: Whoever has answers to my question in the first post should please comment.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 27, 2021
Guys, you people love telling stories. The truth is a thing which you hate. In all precolonial maps, you can see the entire region as being part of Benin.
Stop with the story telling, nobody witnessed his ancestors therefore nobody can tell you what went on in the period of his ancestors.

The only thing one can rely upon are eyewitness written records. And those records show Lagos as being a province of Benin.

Stop making your imaginary delimitations of Lagos. You people's stupidity is annoying.
Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by christistruth01: 10:47pm On Mar 27, 2021
LeoThaGreat:

I told myself not to get involved in this particular conversation you are driving at, but I'll do it this once and may not talk about it again.
Plus I really need someone to answer my question in the topic and derailing this thread would be bad for that.

Firstly, the domain of the Oba of Lagos is from Obalende - Idumota, but for the sake of easy geographical understanding, I'll refer to the domain as Lagos Island (this excludes Victoria Island, Ìkòyí etc which has their independent monarchy (Irú [a descendant of Olofin] and Ìkòyí respectively).

If you visit Iga Idungaran, the current location of the palace of the Oba of Lagos [Island], you will see people willing to tell you their unfiltered history. Also, to set records straight are why Yòrùbás place regards for Oriki.

The relationship between Lagos Island and Bini is like the relationship Britain had with Nigeria before October 1st 1960. If you check the map of the British empire by 1900, you will see how much control Britain had on the world. Emphasis on the word "control." Because people discussing about this topic mostly mistaken control for being indigenous. Britain controlled Nigeria in 1954 for example doesn't mean they are indigenous to Nigeria. The same applies to Lagos Island & Bini.

The monarchy of Lagos [Island] is of Bini origin, but before the monarchy, Aromire, one of the children of Olofin Ogunfunminire, the progenitor of the Awori people, was in charge of that part of Lagos Island. As a matter of fact, Iga Idungaran which is the name of the palace of the Oba of Lagos [Island] roughly translates "Palace at the pepper farm." The monarchy has chiefs, the Idejo who are descendants of Ogunfunminire (Obanikoro, Bajulaiye & Ashogbon are chiefs of Bini origin). Furthermore, the Aromire family, to my surprise are still very much relevant on Lagos Island, encompassing Victoria Island and Ìkòyí, and on the Lagos Mainland parts by the lagoon shore (Ijora-Badia, Iddo, Iganmu, Otto and environs). This is far beyond the jurisdiction of the Oba of Lagos. I got to know they STILL wield so much power on Lagos Island (and environs) in a rant by Chief Abisoye Oshodi about Bola Tinubu and Rilwan Akiolu (the Oba of Lagos [Island).
Also, an interview of the Ojora if Ijora enlightened me further about him and other kings who descended from Aromire.

Whoever is in doubt that the Idejo, children of Olofin Ogunfunminire are the oònile (landlords) of Lagos [Island] and its mainland environs (this is beyond Oba of Lagos' jurisdiction) should know that this issue was INDIRECTLY settled/clarified in 1920 when Chief Amodu Tijani, the Oluwa of Lagos, took the British colonialists to the Privy Council in London. I think Herbert Macaulay was his lawyer. Judgement was made in 1921 in favour of Chief Oluwa.
The lesser kings of Lagos, the Idejos, who lost power to the colonial rulers, contested the rights to their land for decades in the 20th century.

Whoever doesn't believe this can make research by accessing the documents of this case.

PS: Whoever has answers to my question in the first post should please comment.

God will bless you for Educating him

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by christistruth01: 11:03pm On Mar 27, 2021
AlphaSoul:

Hope this helps.

It is a deliberate misinformation propaganda by those who can't take their. eyes off Yoruba Lagos

While everyone else was welcomed and made to feel at home some ungrateful people whose ancestors invaded Lagos in search of food to eat now consider it too painful and agonising that the same Lagos that gave them Succour in their greatest hours of need is in the heart
of Awolowo's YORUBALAND and so they have taken it upon themselves to twist, rewrite and damage the History of Lagos

But God has been defeating all their efforts to the extent that they took it upon themselves to attempt to burn down Lagos under the pretext of Endsars Protests

But God has remained ever faithful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by LeoThaGreat(m): 2:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
Truthshots:
Guys, you people love telling stories. The truth is a thing which you hate. In all precolonial maps, you can see the entire region as being part of Benin.
Precolonial maps you say?
The map that RESULTED in Badagry being in Nigeria instead of Benin Republic?
Ketou, Sabe, Ajase (Porto Novo) etc. in Benin Republic instead of Nigeria?
Split of Borgu kingdom between Nigeria & Benin Republic?
Split of Hausas between Nigeria & Niger Republic?
That's your reference for accuracy?

Irú/Imahin (Victoria Island), Ìkòyí, Gushi (Elegushi), up till the border of Èpé are chiefdoms of lesser power to Lagos Island till the 1990's, yet a part of the history of Victoria Island reads:
"A large part of the Island was originally part of jurisdiction
of the Oniru chieftaincy family of Lagos with tenants inhabiting the land. In 1948, the Lagos Executive Development Board paid 250,000 pounds as compensation
for the land acquired from the Oniru family and an additional 150,000 pounds as compensation for the inhabitants and shrines destroyed. The inhabitants were later resettled at Maroko village"
In Yorubaland, there's no way a Baále or family will get paid that money if they are under a king, it is the king that gets the money because all lands belong to the king and Baále are only land administrators appointed by kings. BUT the Oniru chieftaincy family got the money because they are not under any king (of Lagos Island in this case) like you were implying.

Truthshots:
Stop with the story telling, nobody witnessed his ancestors therefore nobody can tell you what went on in the period of his ancestors. The only thing one can rely upon are eyewitness written records.
You really want me to go all the way with you, but I'll keep restraining myself and only drop hints with you.
I, for example wasn't alive in the time of my great grandfather, but oral history was handed down to me, so no stranger (from faraway) can tell my family story better than we on the family tree, and though we weren't witnesses, but will document such history. Plus oral history are mostly useful in terms of land disputes and other disputes
E.g.
Based on history , Ooni Olubuse I was invited by the then Governor of Lagos in 1903 , Sir W. MacGregor , to adjudicate in a festering dispute between the Akarigbo of Remo and the Elepe of Epe in Sagamu as to whether the Elepe was entitled , by right, to the wearing of a beaded crown , as Oba.

If the statement you made that "...nobody witnessed his ancestors therefore nobody can tell you what went on in the period of his ancestors" is true, what did MacGregor rely on to make his judgement? Plus is it not undocumented history that will later become documented?
I'm starting to think you are still in secondary school because of you level of cognition and might not be worth my time, but I'll still continue with this write up, with hopes that it attracts someone that will answer my question in the first post.

Truthshots:
And those records show Lagos as being a province of Benin.

Stop making your imaginary delimitations of Lagos. You people's stupidity is annoying.
This is the reason I am seriously doubting your cognitive skills because I educated you earlier that Lagos Island is the jurisdiction of the Oba of Lagos. His authority stops at Obalende from which the Onikoyi's territory starts onto Irú/Imahin (Victoria Island), etc.. The only part the Bini can claim at that time was Lagos Island in the same way the British can lay claim to Nigeria before October 1963 when Nigeria became a republic.

Furthermore, all the kings in Yorubaland starting from the 1st to the current one are usually documented. And the Oniru dynasty starts thus:
Onigefon – (1589-1620);
Mabogunje – (1621-1654);
Ihuntayi – (1655-1687); etc

Also note that the Oniru, Ojora, Olotto, etc. all claim to be descendants of Olofin Ogunfunminire (some through Aromire, his descendant), this Olofin, the progenitor of the Awori people is a migrant from Ilè-Ifè. In fact, the current Ojora of Ijora (on Lagos Mainland) and the former Oniru are 1st cousins.

You can't tell Awori people their history, they will tell you instead.

I still need answers to my question in the first post, knowledgeable Ijaw people, kindly give an answer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 28, 2021
LeoThaGreat:

Precolonial maps you say?
The map that RESULTED in Badagry being in Nigeria instead of Benin Republic?
Ketou, Sabe, Ajase (Porto Novo) etc. in Benin Republic instead of Nigeria?
Split of Borgu kingdom between Nigeria & Benin Republic?
Split of Hausas between Nigeria & Niger Republic?
That's your reference for accuracy?

Irú/Imahin (Victoria Island), Ìkòyí, Gushi (Elegushi), up till the border of Èpé are chiefdoms of lesser power to Lagos Island till the 1990's, yet a part of the history of Victoria Island reads:
"A large part of the Island was originally part of jurisdiction
of the Oniru chieftaincy family of Lagos with tenants inhabiting the land. In 1948, the Lagos Executive Development Board paid 250,000 pounds as compensation
for the land acquired from the Oniru family and an additional 150,000 pounds as compensation for the inhabitants and shrines destroyed. The inhabitants were later resettled at Maroko village"
In Yorubaland, there's no way a Baále or family will get paid that money if they are under a king, it is the king that gets the money because all lands belong to the king and Baále are only land administrators appointed by kings. BUT the Oniru chieftaincy family got the money because they are not under any king (of Lagos Island in this case) like you were implying.

You really want me to go all the way with you, but I'll keep restraining myself and only drop hints with you.
I, for example wasn't alive in the time of my great grandfather, but oral history was handed down to me, so no stranger (from faraway) can tell my family story better than we on the family tree, and though we weren't witnesses, but will document such history. Plus oral history are mostly useful in terms of land disputes and other disputes
E.g.
Based on history , Ooni Olubuse I was invited by the then Governor of Lagos in 1903 , Sir W. MacGregor , to adjudicate in a festering dispute between the Akarigbo of Remo and the Elepe of Epe in Sagamu as to whether the Elepe was entitled , by right, to the wearing of a beaded crown , as Oba.

If the statement you made that "...nobody witnessed his ancestors therefore nobody can tell you what went on in the period of his ancestors" is true, what did MacGregor rely on to make his judgement? Plus is it not undocumented history that will later become documented?
I'm starting to think you are still in secondary school because of you level of cognition and might not be worth my time, but I'll still continue with this write up, with hopes that it attracts someone that will answer my question in the first post.

This is the reason I am seriously doubting your cognitive skills because I educated you earlier that Lagos Island is the jurisdiction of the Oba of Lagos. His authority stops at Obalende from which the Onikoyi's territory starts onto Irú/Imahin (Victoria Island), etc.. The only part the Bini can claim at that time was Lagos Island in the same way the British can lay claim to Nigeria before October 1963 when Nigeria became a republic.

Furthermore, all the kings in Yorubaland starting from the 1st to the current one are usually documented. And the Oniru dynasty starts thus:
Onigefon – (1589-1620);
Mabogunje – (1621-1654);
Ihuntayi – (1655-1687); etc

Also note that the Oniru, Ojora, Olotto, etc. all claim to be descendants of Olofin Ogunfunminire (some through Aromire, his descendant), this Olofin, the progenitor of the Awori people is a migrant from Ilè-Ifè. In fact, the current Ojora of Ijora (on Lagos Mainland) and the former Oniru are 1st cousins.

You can't tell Awori people their history, they will tell you instead.

I still need answers to my question in the first post, knowledgeable Ijaw people, kindly give an answer.

1) there are several hundreds of precolonial maps of West Africa, so "the map" which you are talking about as the only map is only a figment of your imagination.

2) I get it, you want to smear actual history in order to make way for your revisionist fairytales.

3) your "oral history" is all made up bullshit.

4) your Oni of IFA was not "invited", he was summoned by his master. And your Oni of IFA was there to play his role as a puppet to the British whereas the actual emperor was in exile in Calabar. The emperor goes by the title : Omo n'Oba n'Edo. He lost a war to the British six years earlier.

5) "Onigefon – (1589-1620);
Mabogunje – (1621-1654);
Ihuntayi – (1655-1687); etc"

I just wonder if you guys realise that not everybody is as dumb as you, you can't just be bringing names and dates with no proof whatsoever. All this is just rubbish.

6) you don't seem to realise the alphabet we use was brought to us by the British in the colonial era. Therefor how were your Yoruba monarchs documented from the first to the current ?

7) Being a fool is you people's trademark.

8 ) you guys are very bad at history, to be frank I don't think you even know what the word "history" means.
Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Mar 28, 2021
More honest Yoruba folks will expose all the lies you guys keep telling:

http://www.oduduwawatch.com.ng/2020/05/the-rain-of-ademiluyi-ademakin-as-48th.html?m=1
Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by LeoThaGreat(m): 6:34pm On Mar 28, 2021
Truthshots:

4) your Oni of IFA was not "invited", he was surmined by his master.
I guess that makes MacGregor the master to all the kings in Nigeria at that time. Plus I didn't write the Governor's Gazette of 28th February 1903, W. MacGregor did as is required by London, and he said he INVITED the Oonirisa to settle the dispute.

Truthshots:
And your Oni of IFA was there to play his role as a puppet to the British
Funnily, there's no written or oral record to prove this.

Truthshots:
whereas the actual emperor was in exile in Calabar. The emperor goes by the title : Omo n'Oba n'Edo. He lost a war to the British six years earlier.

When you first mentioned that Ooni of Ile-Ifè means Ooni of Ifa in one of your first comments, I tried to avoid talking about it BUT for the sake of Ifa priests, let me educate you again.

What you imply means the Ooni is an Ifa priest, but IFA priests doesn't aspire for money, power or anything other than divination & healing for their clients as instructed by Òrúnmìlà (which is Ifa himself). Also, they are not to use their knowledge to enrich themselves (just like the Ìyá Mí Àjé [which some people translate as Witches).

Let me digress a bit. People that heal others spiritually are likely to be poor. An example is why God instructed the Israelites to pay tithes to the children of Levi, because spiritual healing & cleansing is a divine work and aspiring for power & money can't work alongside it. Pastors that are aware of this are very likely to hammer on payment of tithes because that's their "divine" source of income.

Back to my point, if Òrúnmìlà, who is if Ifa himself instructs his followers not to be avaricious, how then can an Ifa priest become a king? How?
This is similar to a Levite aspiring for kingship in old Israel. It is impossible.

Let's assume the Ooni of Ile-Ifè means Ooni of Ifa, how can a Babalawo assume a position of power in Yorubaland?

You people's sense of reasoning is not functioning at all

Truthshots:
6) you don't seem to realise the alphabet we use was brought to us by the British in the colonial era. Therefor how were your Yoruba monarchs documented from the first to the current ?

Lastly, kingship in Yorubaland involves ruling families
E.g. For Ile-Ifè, the ruling families are:
1. The Oshinkola House, Iremo
2. The Ogboru House, Ilare
3. The Giesi House, More
4. The Lafogido House, Okerewe

Each of this ruling families know how many of their sons & daughter has reigned on the throne, they know how many of the children of other families has reigned, they also know who's family is next to produce the Oonirisa, and in a case of dispute, like it happened last year among the Oniru family of Lagos, oral history will be cited like it has always been done before the British introduced us to Latin letters

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Mar 28, 2021
I'm tired of telling to deluded fools
Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by TAO11(f): 7:47pm On Mar 28, 2021
LeoThaGreat:

I guess that makes MacGregor the master to all the kings in Nigeria at that time. Plus I didn't write the Governor's Gazette of 28th February 1903, W. MacGregor did as is required by London, and he said he INVITED the Oonirisa to settle the dispute.

Funnily, there's no written or oral record to prove this.

When you first mentioned that Ooni of Ile-Ifè means Ooni of Ifa in one of your first comments, I tried to avoid talking about it BUT for the sake of Ifa priests, let me educate you again.

What you imply means the Ooni is an Ifa priest, but IFA priests doesn't aspire for money, power or anything other than divination & healing for their clients as instructed by Òrúnmìlà (which is Ifa himself). Also, they are not to use their knowledge to enrich themselves (just like the Ìyá Mí Àjé [which some people translate as Witches).

Let me digress a bit. People that heal others spiritually are likely to be poor. An example is why God instructed the Israelites to pay tithes to the children of Levi, because spiritual healing & cleansing is a divine work and aspiring for power & money can't work alongside it. Pastors that are aware of this are very likely to hammer on payment of tithes because that's their "divine" source of income.

Back to my point, if Òrúnmìlà, who is if Ifa himself instructs his followers not to be avaricious, how then can an Ifa priest become a king? How?
This is similar to a Levite aspiring for kingship in old Israel. It is impossible.

Let's assume the Ooni of Ile-Ifè means Ooni of Ifa, how can a Babalawo assume a position of power in Yorubaland?

You people's sense of reasoning is not functioning at all

Lastly, kingship in Yorubaland involves ruling families
E.g. For Ile-Ifè, the ruling families are:
1. The Oshinkola House, Iremo
2. The Ogboru House, Ilare
3. The Giesi House, More
4. The Lafogido House, Okerewe

Each of this ruling families know how many of their sons & daughter has reigned on the throne, they know how many of the children of other families has reigned, they also know who's family is next to produce the Oonirisa, and in a case of dispute, like it happened last year among the Oniru family of Lagos, oral history will be cited like it has always been done before the British introduced us to Latin letters
Glad you debunked him to pieces. He would probably commit suicide last last. cheesy

The Ooni of Ife from time immemorial has been the head king of all Yoruba (and Benin) kings.

The paper attached below (published in 1903) says it all.

Reference:
The Editor, “Native Crowns,” Journal of the Royal African Society, Vol. 2, No. 7 (Apr., 1903), pp. 312-314.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by LeoThaGreat(m): 8:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
TAO11:
Glad you debunked him to pieces. He would probably commit suicide last last. cheesy

The Ooni of Ife from time immemorial has been the head-king of all Yoruba (and Benin) kings.

The papers attached below (published in 1903) says it all.

Reference:
The Editor, “Native Crowns,” Journal of the Royal African Society, Vol. 2, No. 7 (Apr., 1903), pp. 312-314.

I feel honoured to have you comment on my post. I've learnt a lot from your posts over the years, and the books you've quoted and those you've posted its screenshot.

Edumare bless you Enlightened One

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 28, 2021
LeoThaGreat:

I feel honoured to have you comment on my post. I've learnt a lot from your posts over the years, and the books you've quoted and those you've posted its screenshot.

Holy shit...Now I know delusion is contagious.
I am no longer surprised with your level of disconnection with reality, given that you were actually groomed by the texts written by deluded yoruba supremacists like the one you seem to be bowing down to.

Ok, continue guys, at this rate every yoruba in ten years would be a deluded fool not intellectually able to open a mere door. Keep brainwashing each other.
Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by TAO11(f): 10:09pm On Mar 28, 2021
LeoThaGreat:

Thank you Leo! You are a great man.

1 Like

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by TAO11(f): 10:17pm On Mar 28, 2021
I didn’t expect you to like me for being the very person who have made life on Nairaland a living hell for you and rendered you a useless clown.

Truthshots:
[s]Holy shit...Now I know delusion is contagious.
I am no longer surprised with your level of disconnection with reality, given that you were actually groomed by the texts written by deluded yoruba supremacists like the one you seem to be bowing down to.

Ok, continue guys, at this rate every yoruba in ten years would be a deluded fool not intellectually able to open a mere door. Keep brainwashing each other.[/s]
Jude, in your next-coming to this world (if any), I hope you choose your ethnic-group wisely; otherwise another round of inferiority-complex for you. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by TAO11(f): 2:48am On Mar 29, 2021
LeoThaGreat:

I have discussed this at length in one of my comments on Lagos history while citing the relevant early accounts.

The earliest relevant available sources all point to the fact that the name Èkó is purely of Yoruba origin, from the word Eréko — also called Ìgbèríko.

Eréko is the Yoruba term for a settlement which is used mainly for agriculture, and under the ownership/control of another (neighboring) settlement.

The background to the name Èkó (contraction of Eréko) based on the earliest received traditions of Lagos history is that this has been the island’s name even before it was populated.

The island of Èkó and the adjacent islands (of Ìddó, et al.), as well as all the surrounding lands are — noted in the traditions — to be the aboriginal property of the Awori sub-group of the Yoruba ethnic group.

While they built town settlements on these lands all the way from Ìṣẹri to Ìddó island and elsewhere; the Awori kingdom of Ọ̀ttọ̀/Ìddó reserved the adjacent island (i.e. Èkó) for agricultural purposes — pepper farming and fishing to be precise.

As such, this adjacent island became an erèko of the Awori kingdom of Ọ̀ttọ̀/Ìddó. The name Èkó (viz. Erèko) therefore resulted from the initial purpose for which this adjacent island was originally set aside.

A certain Awori prince (from Ìddó) by the name Arómirẹ́ is said, in the accounts of Lagos history, to have been responsible for pioneering the usage of this island for agriculture purposes.

One of the several names by which this island is known till date comes from the personal name of this Awori prince (viz. Chief Arómirẹ́) due to his pioneering feat.

Besides the names Ereko and Eko by which this island is remembered till date, it is also still remembered by the name Èkó-Arómirẹ́ (from: Eréko-Arómirẹ́, i.e. Arómirẹ́’s agro-colony).

This island is also sometimes called Eko-Arómisá. The word Arómi- (lit: ‘the one who flees on sighting water’) is a wordplay (or pun) on the actual name Arómi-rẹ́ (lit: ‘the one who is in friendly tune with water on sighting it).

The seemingly strange name Korame or Kuramo which is often found in early European accounts of Lagos is not strange at all.

It is no more than the typical early Europeans’ sloppy rendering of the name Èkó-Arómi-rẹ́ — which is an early name of this island.

Lagos island is still alternatively known locally till date as Èkó-Arómi-rẹ́.

Also, the name Eréko also still survives till date on the island. It is well known and unhidden.

In the light of the foregoing accounts of Lagos history, it is only expected that one or more of all these Yoruba names of this island (i.e. “Ereko,” “Eko,” “Eko-Aromi-re,” etc.) would have naturally found its way into the lexicon of the Ijaws, the Binis, etc. — since each of these group had settled on this very island at some later point.

Don’t be bothered or persuaded by the propaganda of the ‘lesser tribes of Nigeria’. Yoruba is their dream and standard. Deep down, they actually want to be nothing but Yoruba.

Cheers!

Cc: googi, AlphaSoul

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by LeoThaGreat(m): 7:11am On Mar 29, 2021
. . THREAD CLOSED
My question has been answered by the great TAO11 . .

2 Likes

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Kayberg: 11:01am On Mar 29, 2021
TAO11:
I have discussed this at length in one of my comments on Lagos history while citing the relevant early accounts.

The earliest relevant available sources all point to the fact that the name Èkó is purely of Yoruba origin, from the word Eréko — also called Ìgbèríko.

Eréko is the Yoruba term for a settlement which is used mainly for agriculture, and under the ownership and control of another (neighboring) settlement.

The background to the name Èkó (contraction of Eréko) based on the earliest received traditions of Lagos history is that this has been the island’s name even before it was populated.

The island of Èkó and the adjacent islands (of Ìddó, et al.), as well as all the surrounding lands are — clearly expressed in the traditions — to be the aboriginal asset of the Awori-Yorubas.

While they built town settlements on these lands all the way from Ìṣẹri to Ìddó island and elsewhere; the Awori kingdom of Ọ̀ttọ̀/Ìddó reserved the adjacent island (i.e. Èkó) for agricultural purposes — fishing and pepper farming to be precise.

As such, this adjacent island became an erèko of the Awori kingdom of Ọ̀ttọ̀/Ìddó. The name Èkó (viz. Erèko) therefore resulted from the initial purpose for which this adjacent island was originally set aside.

A certain Awori prince (from Ìddó) by the name Arómirẹ́ is said, in the accounts of Lagos history, to have been responsible for pioneering the usage of this island for agriculture purposes.

One of the several names by which this island is known till date comes from the personal name of this Awori prince (viz. Chief Arómirẹ́) due to his pioneering feat.

Besides the names Ereko and Eko by which this island is remembered till date, it is also still remembered by the name Èkó-Arómirẹ́ (from: Eréko-Arómirẹ́, i.e. Arómirẹ́’s agro-colony).

This island is also sometimes called Eko-Arómisá. The word Arómi- (lit: ‘the one who flees on sighting water’) is a wordplay (or pun) on the actual name Arómi-rẹ́ (lit: ‘the one who is in friendly tune with water on sighting it).

The seemingly strange name Korame or Kuramo which is often found in early European accounts of Lagos is not strange at all.

It is no more than the typical early Europeans’ sloppy rendering of the name Èkó-Arómi-rẹ́ — which is an early name of this island.

Lagos island is still alternatively known locally till date as Èkó-Arómi-rẹ́.

Also, the name Eréko also still survives till date on the island. It is well known and unhidden.

In the light of the foregoing accounts of Lagos history, it is only expected that one or more of all these Yoruba names of this island (i.e. “Ereko,” “Eko,” “Eko-Aromi-re,” etc.) would have naturally found its way into the lexicon of the Ijaws, the Binis, etc. — since each of these group had settled on this very island at some later point.

Don’t be bothered or persuaded by the propaganda of the ‘lesser tribes of Nigeria’. Yoruba is their dream and standard. Deep down, they actually want to be nothing but Yoruba.

Cheers!

Cc: googi, AlphaSoul

Your history comments are just tickling me.
Please mention me in any others.
Wanna know more.
Do you know or have any idea of the history of the Magbon Alade people?

5 Likes

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Mar 29, 2021
It is weird to see a bunch of people who just love to tell lies to each other and comfort each other in their lies.
It feels just like a cult.
southwestern politicians have really dealt a huge blow to their people and they did this just for personal political gains.

Once again, every precolonial document show Lagos as being part of Benin empire.

Most people who refer to themselves as Yoruba descend from slaves who were taken into slavery by Europeans. The taking was done all across Africa. When the descendants of those slaves were freed by their masters, their masters deported a huge number of them back into the African continent.
Some of them were dropped in what we now call Liberia, some were dropped in what we now call Sierra Leone, and the biggest load of them were dropped in what we now call Southwest Nigeria. The ones dropped in southwest Nigeria have agreed to call themselves Yoruba and have hijacked the political life of the indigenous people of the southwest by using their early exposure to education which they had access to while in servitude.
These slave descendents have always been on the side of their white masters, no matter the fight. Whenever any indigenous people would oppose the colonial oppressors, the slave descendants would side with their white masters and go any extra mile possible to protect the interests of their white masters.

The worse thing is that when you meet these Yoruba outside Nigeria, they will be inventing stories of how their ancestors fought against the whites...

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Mar 29, 2021
In a sense, the Yoruba slave descendants are a lot like the Fulani:

1) they do not originate from our region
2) their ancestors were slaves
3) they hijacked the land, the history and political life of the region in which they live
4) they are total sell outs to an ethnic group which they see as their master ( in case of fulanii, it is whites and Arabs but mostly Arabs, in the case of Yoruba slave descendants it is whites and fulani)
Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by TAO11(f): 3:09pm On Mar 29, 2021
Truthshots:
[s]It is weird to see a bunch of people who just love to tell lies to each other and comfort each other in their lies.
It feels just like a cult.
southwestern politicians have really dealt a huge blow to their people and they did this just for personal political gains.

Once again, every precolonial document show Lagos as being part of Benin empire.

Most people who refer to themselves as Yoruba descend from slaves who were taken into slavery by Europeans. The taking was done all across Africa. When the descendants of those slaves were freed by their masters, their masters deported a huge number of them back into the African continent.
Some of them were dropped in what we now call Liberia, some were dropped in what we now call Sierra Leone, and the biggest load of them were dropped in what we now call Southwest Nigeria. The ones dropped in southwest Nigeria have agreed to call themselves Yoruba and have hijacked the political life of the indigenous people of the southwest by using their early exposure to education which they had access to while in servitude.
These slave descendents have always been on the side of their white masters, no matter the fight. Whenever any indigenous people would oppose the colonial oppressors, the slave descendants would side with their white masters and go any extra mile possible to protect the interests of their white masters.

The worse thing is that when you meet these Yoruba outside Nigeria, they will be inventing stories of how their ancestors fought against the whites...[/s]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13325939_screenshot2021032913494062_jpegf23a56417f048629f93ff66a875ff6f9

Jude Igbinoba, it is obvious that you have suffered untold oppression at the hands of some Yorubas in the real-world, hence your resolution to ‘fight-back’ behind a keyboard using every desperate falsehood you can conjure.

(1) Regarding your misguided conclusion, from your map above that (Lagos was part of Benin); could you now be consistent enough to take your own reasoning a step further and conclude that Benin kingdom itself was (conquered by Guinea, and as such a) part of GUINEA as shown in my map below?:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996712_39f6170140704f73ab45f520cf301954_jpeg_jpeg0dfd14a7001a5a526490996b9f94cc07

(2) Regarding your bitter lies about the trans-Atlantic slave trade, the following piece-by-piece devastating refutation should make you consider suicide again:

(A) Contrary to your ignorance, slaves were not taken from “all across Africa”. Rather, slaves were taken from Central Africa and West Africa — including Edo people raided by Ibadan invaders).

(B) Contrary to your ignorance, the Yoruba people have
been known by the name “Yoruba” in their present home for centuries prior to the commencement of the return of ex-slaves.

We know this because the process of returning ex-slaves back to West Africa didn’t begin until the late-1700s.

Whereas, there are manuscripts from the early-1600s which list Yorubas (by their name “Yoruba” ) among some of the ethnic groups of our region.

This manuscript written by Ahmed Baba in 1615 is attached below; and the name “Yoruba” is shown in red highlight among the other ethnic groups as can be seen in the original and the translation.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934148_5117c6d550154217817d7c66b5fa0fe6_jpeg_jpeg2a73d5172c14cf7a7da91ff200688e3e

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934147_3336ed29985b499e82c4e140b455b9fa_jpeg_jpeg62ecafabb59c692d4ba471597fdf16bb

This translation was prepared by John Hunwick and Fatima Harrak for The Institute of African Studies Rabat, Morocco

Oh, I should add that we know that this manuscript was written by Ahmad Baba in the year 1615 because he himself penned his date as highlighted (in the attached verso) below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13082305_6e49d8d129844a578af9272699e1586a_jpeg_jpeg2d5891d724a6428e2c0f4e6898bd60cc

The highlight here literally shows the wording “(the year) one thousand and twenty four (of the Hijrah)”.

When converted from this Hijri “AH” calendar into our Gregorian “AD” calendar; the year 1024 AH falls into the year 1615 AD

The formula “D = 0.9692*H + 622” proves practically useful for this conversion.

In sum, your falsehood that returned-slaves (from all across Africa) are what became known as Yorubas is nothing but a but-hurt lie from a depressed bald-head.

(C) These ex-slaves who were of West African descent and Central African descent were repatriated directly to Sierra-Leone and Liberia.

Some began a new life there, while some decided to go back to their actual homeland from which they were originally taken.

An important example here is the Bishop Samuel Adjai Crowther who was taken from Oṣoogun in present-day Oyo state.

Nobody was repatriated to south-West Nigeria, bald-head.

A number of Yorubas among the returnees chose to return back to Yorubaland — just as many others did.

(3) The only ethnic-group that I know of who were too weak to fight their way to freedom and be returned to Africa are the Edos.

And I know this is precisely where your bitterness and misery comes from. Your people were subjected fully in the Americas as the natural slaves that they are.

They couldn’t think of returning until about 400 years later when their descendants took it upon themselves to leverage on the science of Genetics as a guide to finding their way back to Benin Kingdom. See embedded video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxDve0rwQbM

The two attachments below also shows some earlier corroborative confessions made available to Bradbury by the Edos themselves.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996709_af6378be36104010b036a2f7ab4096cd_jpeg_jpeg07ca8a3f5b191f4126cdcd6bf2f7faf7

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996710_b28de88ee10a4b7a83b95532f6609396_jpeg_jpegaca1a6203806c9d893c79b42b9a6c76e

Cheers!

Cc: googi, Kayberg, LeoThaGreat, AlphaSoul, Christistruth00

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by TAO11(f): 3:30pm On Mar 29, 2021
Truthshots:
[s]In a sense, the Yoruba slave descendants are a lot like the Fulani:

1) they do not originate from our region
2) their ancestors were slaves
3) they hijacked the land, the history and political life of the region in which they live
4) they are total sell outs to an ethnic group which they see as their master ( in case of fulanii, it is whites and Arabs but mostly Arabs, in the case of Yoruba slave descendants it is whites and fulani)[/s]
Your wishful summary here and your propaganda videos embedded above have been terribly debunked in my foregoing comment.

I have exposed them all nothing but terrible LIES, LIES, LIES.

4 Likes

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by TAO11(f): 4:02pm On Mar 29, 2021
Kayberg:
Your history comments are just tickling me.
Please mention me in any others.
Wanna know more.
Do you know or have any idea of the history of the Magbon Alade people?
No I don’t know about it brother. I’m so sorry. I may get someone’s number for you who should know. If he doesn’t know he would happy to research it.

Thanks for the compliment. smiley

3 Likes

Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
A fool who can't even read a very simple map is everywhere online claiming one thing and the other....this is a strange world.
The same fool can't speak a word of french but earlier claimed to know french better than a french citizen who studied in France from primary school to masters degree and who teaches in a french high school.
The same deluded fool knows nothing about Arabic but goes around posting texts written in Arabic and giving bogus translations.

The mind of troll is amazing, just one thing: don't read trolls. The moment you read something written by a troll, then you will be losing your time for nothing.
Re: What Does "Ukoruama" (lagos) Mean In Ijaw? by TAO11(f): 4:19pm On Mar 29, 2021
Truthshots:
[s]A fool who can't even read a very simple map is everywhere online claiming one thing and the other....this is a strange world.
The same fool can't speak a word of french but earlier claimed to know french better than a french citizen who studied in France from primary school to masters degree and who teaches in a french high school.
The same deluded fool knows nothing about Arabic but goes around posting texts written in Arabic and given bogus translations.

The mind of troll is amazing, just one thing: don't read trolls. The moment you read something written by a troll, then you will be losing your time for nothing[/s]
Sharrap!

Benin Kingdom was conquered by Guinea, and hence part of Guinea. cheesy

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996712_39f6170140704f73ab45f520cf301954_jpeg_jpeg0dfd14a7001a5a526490996b9f94cc07

Be consistent, Jude!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Black Invention Myths / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop / Igbo's Are Israelites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 178
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.