Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,353 members, 7,800,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame (61009 Views)

Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. / Why Davido Has Never Been Nominated For A Grammy / US Naval Force Performs Fela Kuti's "Water E No Get Enemy" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 12, 2021
briggson07:

If not for death Sir cardinal Rex Jim Lawson and his Rivers men would have over shadowed Fela sef...check who run Nigeria music in the 60s

Nope nope nope....Rexwas good.Fela was/is a legend
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by mozona(m): 2:08pm On Feb 12, 2021
I don't see why jay z and ll cool j is doing in that list
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by shogsman(m): 2:27pm On Feb 12, 2021
SerikiFulani:

Definitely...No american radio station would play a 30 or 40 min song on radio even if you're an american icon in the 70's and 80's...I'm talking Prince,M.J,Madonna etc They won't play it not to talk of a black artist from Africa.... Imagine if Fela had released short compositions of 3-4 mins and featured american artistes then,he would have been a god cos he's one of the few artist in history to pioneer a popular music genre.
The fact that he doesn't feature American artistes makes the whole world respect him for his originality, you come to fela for a feature he don't chase you for a feature, he is a pioneer and one of the greatest artist to ever mount a stage.you sound ignorant, fela is been celebrated all over the world for his originality

1 Like

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Superpower(m): 3:01pm On Feb 12, 2021
bercarray:
if saying the truth about mary not measuring up to FELA is a disrespect to Mary, then I'll be glad to do it over and over again. I love Mary though, but I can't because of that disrespect fela
In terms of what does she not measure up.is it in terms of worlwide popularity,record sales, awards or what exactly.
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Superpower(m): 3:08pm On Feb 12, 2021
briggson07:

Music Genre evolves so has afro beat...
To be frank his music and lyrics are good but Melody no! no! no!

Emergency by D'banj is pure afro beat but I tell you carries some things Baba's music lacks.

The reason some people don't know seun kuti's face or Femi kuti's is because they sound and act like their father,the man is gone his legacy will ever remain ever green.

The genre don gro so if u wan sing like fela u dey make mistake
I won't take anybody that thinks emergency is a song worth mentioning opinion on music seriously.
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by mayor1814: 3:32pm On Feb 12, 2021
FELA KUTI.

THE GREATEST MUSIC ARTIST TO EVER COME OUT OF AFRICA.

HE IS IN THE LEAGUE OF THE LIKES OF the BEATLES, MICHAEL JACKSON, BOB MARLEY, BOB DYLAN ETC
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by SerikiFulani(m): 3:41pm On Feb 12, 2021
shogsman:

The fact that he doesn't feature American artistes makes the whole world respect him for his originality, you come to fela for a feature he don't chase you for a feature, he is a pioneer and one of the greatest artist to ever mount a stage.you sound ignorant, fela is been celebrated all over the world for his originality

Just shut up...If you can't read or comprehend,then that's your problem...I never underated him smiley

Besides Fela is at the top of the list with over 73,000 votes now.

2 Shares

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by splashbaby(m): 3:45pm On Feb 12, 2021
Superpower:
The rock and roll hall of fame is not just for rock and roll musicians. It is for any musician that have had a huge impact in music.
Thank you wise one...some shildren of nowadays ask stupid question because they think they are wise.
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by SweetDipBenny(m): 4:24pm On Feb 12, 2021
I've tried so much to like felas music but still doesn't work for me. even on top d sk still notin.
Respect to him tho
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 12, 2021
mozona:
Fela is not supposed to be in that list too.
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by onomejames(m): 7:06pm On Feb 12, 2021
Check out this playlist

https://heylink.me/69musicroom/
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Yungmil: 7:14pm On Feb 12, 2021
can't we the nairalanders give fela dis Award?

If all nairalanders go to the website and vote for fela he should win.

Nairaland has crowd and we can make a lot of impact from this forum if we come 2geda.

1 Like

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Rossnitti: 8:51pm On Feb 12, 2021
SerikiFulani:
Fela fvcked up big time... He was advised to record short songs of 3-4 mins for radio play on american radio stations but he declined saying his mentors didn't record short compositions....

Would beethoven or Mozart record short compositions? Fela asked them grin

Also he shouldn't have ignored Paul mccartney when he came to nigeria in 1973....Paul wanted to feature Fela on the album be was recording that year but Fela said he had come to steal their style and he wouldn't want to work with a white artiste.... Imagine Fela was on that album,he would have been a Global star by then...That album was the best selling album in the world in 1973....It also won Album of the year at the Grammy's in 1973...

When James brown and his crew visited Fela at his shrine then and Fela was entertaining them on stage,James brown burst into tears, turned to Bootsy collins (his band member and funk pioneer) and said to him " These are the funkiest cats i've even seen in my life".

Fela kuti is in the league of Chuck berry, Elvis presley,The Beatles,M.J, Little richard,Bob marley and James brown.

You got the Fela - Paul McCartney story wrong.

McCartney came to Lagos, and Fela said he'd come to steal his music. So Paul called Fela to iron out issues. Fela visited him in his hotel, he played his music for Fela, and Fela said ''no, this is not my music'', and they drank and smoked weed for a couple of hours, and Fela left. The next day McCartney visited Shrine with his band, and he reported he had an epiphany at the Shrine that he'll never forget, after hearing the Africa '70 Band playing live for the first time.

Also, you must understand that Fela's mentality was not about becoming ''a world star''. I know you people think THAT is the be all and end all of everything, but the man had certain principles, and was an actual political activist, not the type we have today who only know how to shout on twitter.

Fela is a man who used to stand in front of soldiers and yell, ''Shoot me. Go on! Shoot me!! Now!!''. Does that sound to you like someone who will place ''global stardom'' above his principles?

He saw the top western music labels as 'Babylon' - imperialist agents. They represented the very same forces he was singing and fighting against, in addition to their Nigerian stooges. Fela didn't even like to tour. It was his band members and agents that used to beg him to tour. When he did, it was to sell-out audiences whether in New York, Paris, London, or Berlin.

He was treated like royalty in these tours. He and his entourage, often numbering more than hundred, were allowed to smoke their weed freely wherever they went, back when the penalty for possession in those countries was a jail sentence. The authorities all left Fela and his band alone.

They knew that separating Fela and the Africa '70 band from weed was like separating a dog from bone, and that they might as well have just left them alone in Lagos. So they let them be. Their only insistence was that Fela didn't smoke it on stage while actually performing to crowds. So he smoked a cigarette instead.

So to say Fela Kuti ''fcked up'' by not doing an album with Paul McCartney, or by not signing with Universal Records etc etc, shows you don't really get Fela. Fela was not about trending to you. It was (and remains) about you - and the world - trending to Fela.

FELA ON BROADWAY - When The World Celebrated Fela. 2009/2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXTU3GW_s0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kzU5-xcSF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB0GepZMzKU

2 Likes

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Rossnitti: 10:26pm On Feb 12, 2021
mozona:

Bro, LL Cool J na real OG for rap o.... True pioneer.

1 Like

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by ImaIma1(f): 8:03am On Feb 13, 2021
Amotolongbo:
https://vote.rockhall.com/

Lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique naptu2

Please let Our Baba Fela be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by mass voting from Nigerians

He's on number 1 now with a large margin
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Rocktation(f): 2:46pm On Mar 10, 2021

Oya oo. Call all your people to Keep voting oo. I hear that it's a tough contest between him and Tina Turner now.
Do right by your continent!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Alejobs: 1:47am On Mar 11, 2021
Tolexander:
This is the same Fela some children born yesterday said he doesn’t know how to sing

We sell external laptop battery. Kindly recommend us

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Rocktation(f): 6:04pm On Mar 13, 2021
Rocktation:

Oya oo. Call all your people to Keep voting oo. I hear that it's a tough contest between him and Tina Turner now.
Do right by your continent!!

Who has not voted today?

It's a ballot for everyday, until the 31st day of May, 2021.

Abeg, don't dull oo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by osystein(m): 2:03am On Mar 15, 2021
mayor1814:
FELA KUTI.

HE IS IN THE LEAGUE OF THE LIKES OF the BEATLES, MICHAEL JACKSON, BOB MARLEY, BOB DYLAN ETC

It's wonderful to promote your own, but undecided undecided
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 15, 2021
osystein:

It's wonderful to promote your own, but undecided undecided
Leave am, there are artists in Africa that can compete with fela self not to talk of looking outside Africa .
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Copyplay: 9:49am On Mar 20, 2021
Tolexander:
This is the same Fela some children born yesterday said he doesn’t know how to sing
Africa for Ever

Blinxwrd..com

for free song upload
SegFault:

Leave am, there are artists in Africa that can compete with fela self not to talk of looking outside Africa .
Tolexander:
Africa for Ever

Blinxwrd..com

for free song upload

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by onomejames(m): 1:47pm On Apr 05, 2021
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Rocktation(f): 9:36pm On Apr 05, 2021
Hope we haven't forgotten what we should be doing?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Rocktation(f): 12:00am On May 11, 2021
Rocktation:
Hope we haven't forgotten what we should be doing?

Aww...it's such a pity that we couldn't deliver our dear Fela. Too much inconsistencies.. Una dohh
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by sclslf75(m): 2:53am On May 22, 2021
fela kuti should've been inducted in the 80s, he had already done more for music than many men or women could ever do
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by Nas23Nas: 7:12am On May 23, 2021
Hi
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by CSTRR: 1:24pm On Jun 02, 2021
mayor1814:
FELA KUTI.

Burna boy
Re: Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame by nelsonrayney: 9:44am On Jul 09, 2021
This song is a blessing to my life.

If you want to listen to more of my cover

https://www.instagram.com/prodigyofficialx/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxYWLqPAAes

IG Prodigyofficialx.

Please comment, like, and subscribe.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rudeboy - 'Take It' Video Featuring Mercy Eke / Naira Marley- Am I A Yahoo Boy Lyrics (with English Translation) / Billboard Called Wizkid Songs “Yoruba Music” On Their Official Twitter Page

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.