Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,191 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

She Beat World War 1&2, Spanish Flu, Great Depression And Covid! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / She Beat World War 1&2, Spanish Flu, Great Depression And Covid! (429 Views)

Throwback Photo Of 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic That Killed Over 50Million Globally / How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago / Population Of Nigerians That Died During Spanish's Flu Pandemic In 1918 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

She Beat World War 1&2, Spanish Flu, Great Depression And Covid! by Dailymice: 7:44pm On Feb 12, 2021
O boy you can imagine someone born in 1904 still alive!! That's the same year Nnamdi Azikiwe was born!

(CNN)Europe's oldest person has survived Covid-19 after testing positive just a few weeks before her 117th birthday.

Sister André, a nun who was born in 1904, tested positive for the virus on January 16, according to David Tavella, communications director at the Sainte Catherine Labouré nursing home in Toulon, southern France, where she lives.

André, who was born Lucille Randon, showed no symptoms, Tavella told CNN Wednesday.

Sister André, pictured in February 2020.
"I didn't know I had it," André said in an interview with CNN affiliate BFMTV. "No, I wasn't scared because I wasn't scared of dying."

André is preparing to celebrate her 117th birthday on Thursday. Although visitors aren't allowed at the home, she will receive video messages from her family and the local mayor, as well as taking part in a video Mass, Tavella said.

"We're doing all we can to make her happy," he said.

A record one person in every 1,500 in Japan is aged at least 100 -- and they're probably a woman
A record one person in every 1,500 in Japan is aged at least 100 -- and they're probably a woman
André's birthday meal will feature her favorites: foie gras, baked Alaska and a glass of red wine, Tavella added.

"She drinks a glass of wine every lunchtime," he said.

"Sister André's birthday is taking place at a good time -- it couldn't be a better time, because it will mark the beginning of big festivities that will be organized around this relaxing of our restrictions," Tavella told BFMTV. "Our residents will be able to get out of their rooms, eat together, participate in activities."

André worked as a governess and a teacher, teaching the children to be "very polite," she told French TV station CNEWS. She became a nun in 1944 and moved to the nursing home in Toulon in 2009, Tavella told CNN.

Living to 125 and beyond: Scientists dispute there's a limit to our lifespans
She has lived through two world wars as well as the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic -- she told CNEWS she didn't catch the deadly virus -- and remains philosophical about the coronavirus.

"It will come and go," she told BFMTV. "I don't know."

André is the second-oldest person alive today, after Kane Tanaka, a Japanese woman who was born on January 2, 1903, according to the Gerontology Research Group (GRG).

André became the oldest living person in France in October 2017 following the death of Honorine Rondello, and is the second-oldest French person ever, following Jeanne Calment, who lived to 122.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/02/10/europe/oldest-woman-europe-covid-scli-intl/index.html

Re: She Beat World War 1&2, Spanish Flu, Great Depression And Covid! by Emempaul(m): 7:48pm On Feb 12, 2021
Dailymice:
O boy you can imagine someone born in 1904 still alive!! That's the same year Nnamdi Azikiwe was born!

(CNN)Europe's oldest person has survived Covid-19 after testing positive just a few weeks before her 117th birthday.

Sister André, a nun who was born in 1904, tested positive for the virus on January 16, according to David Tavella, communications director at the Sainte Catherine Labouré nursing home in Toulon, southern France, where she lives.

André, who was born Lucille Randon, showed no symptoms, Tavella told CNN Wednesday.

"I didn't know I had it," André said in an interview with CNN affiliate BFMTV. "No, I wasn't scared because I wasn't scared of dying."

André is preparing to celebrate her 117th birthday on Thursday. Although visitors aren't allowed at the home, she will receive video messages from her family and the local mayor, as well as taking part in a video Mass, Tavella said.

"We're doing all we can to make her happy," he said.

André's birthday meal will feature her favorites: foie gras, baked Alaska and a glass of red wine, Tavella added.

"She drinks a glass of wine every lunchtime," he said.

"Sister André's birthday is taking place at a good time -- it couldn't be a better time, because it will mark the beginning of big festivities that will be organized around this relaxing of our restrictions," Tavella told BFMTV. "Our residents will be able to get out of their rooms, eat together, participate in activities."

André worked as a governess and a teacher, teaching the children to be "very polite," she told French TV station CNEWS. She became a nun in 1944 and moved to the nursing home in Toulon in 2009, Tavella told CNN.

She has lived through two world wars as well as the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic -- she told CNEWS she didn't catch the deadly virus -- and remains philosophical about the coronavirus.

"It will come and go," she told BFMTV. "I don't know."

André is the second-oldest person alive today, after Kane Tanaka, a Japanese woman who was born on January 2, 1903, according to the Gerontology Research Group (GRG).

André became the oldest living person in France in October 2017 following the death of Honorine Rondello, and is the second-oldest French person ever, following Jeanne Calment, who lived to 122.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/02/10/europe/oldest-woman-europe-covid-scli-intl/index.html

mrs methuselah
Re: She Beat World War 1&2, Spanish Flu, Great Depression And Covid! by Dailymice: 7:50pm On Feb 12, 2021
More photos

Re: She Beat World War 1&2, Spanish Flu, Great Depression And Covid! by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:55pm On Feb 12, 2021
shocked

She don see finish axwea
Re: She Beat World War 1&2, Spanish Flu, Great Depression And Covid! by GallantDuke(m): 8:02pm On Feb 12, 2021
If na for Naija they for don dey call her witch

1 Like

Re: She Beat World War 1&2, Spanish Flu, Great Depression And Covid! by amazingspiderma: 8:04pm On Feb 12, 2021
She survived Buhari's first tenures and Endsars protests. Wow. This is just Amazing

1 Like

Re: She Beat World War 1&2, Spanish Flu, Great Depression And Covid! by illicit(m): 8:30pm On Feb 12, 2021
Long life and prosperity shocked
Re: She Beat World War 1&2, Spanish Flu, Great Depression And Covid! by Racoon(m): 8:39pm On Feb 12, 2021
smiley Whao! God really blessed her with long life.What a survival.

(1) (Reply)

Diabetes Freedom PDF / How To Avoid Vaginal Tear At Childbirth / Why Is My Semen Yellow Instead Of White-colored?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.