Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:44 PM

Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover (29224 Views)

Rival Cult Gangs Clash In Ijeshatedo Area Of Surulere (Video) / Gunshots In Obalende As Rival Gangs Clash (Video, Pictures) / Gunshots As Rival Gangs Clash In Fadeyi Area Of Lagos. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by dre11(m): 7:32am On Feb 14, 2021
Afeez Hanafi
Two rival gangs from Alakuko area of Lagos and Dalemo, a border town between Lagos and Ogun states, held the neighbourhoods to ransom for days last week, unleashing terror without let or hindrance.

From last Friday night to Monday afternoon, the warring hoodlums took charge of the communities, killing one another, vandalising shops along their ‘battle ground’ on Alakuko-Agbado Road and stealing goods.

Six persons were reportedly feared dead while others sustained varying degrees of injury before a combined team of police and the military were able to restore normalcy.

Amid the chaotic scenario and its attendant losses, no one could pinpoint the immediate cause of the mayhem. Many thought it was another dose of deadly violence which has been on in the area for about three years.

But our correspondent, who visited the communities on Tuesday gathered that an assault on the girlfriend of one Abiodun aka Confidence – the gang leader of Dalemo boys – led to the fight.

It was learnt that Confidence’s lover attended a nightclub in the neighbourhood on Friday evening and was beaten by some boys from Alakuko.

After being informed of the assault, Confidence was said to have led his gang members in a reprisal that night, resulting in deaths from both rival groups and destruction of property along the road.

“An attempt to avenge the assault on the girlfriend was what actually led to the fight but many people don’t know,” a resident, who identified himself only as Tunde, told Sunday PUNCH. “This was not the first time issues over the girlfriend would result in a fight.”

A resident familiar with the activities of the gangs also confirmed that the assault led to the crisis. The resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, identified the majority of the hoodlums as youths aged between 18 and 25.

He said, “Confidence who was trying to avenge the assault on his girlfriend is just 25 years old but dreaded. He had been arrested more than twice but was later released. He was released from prison last year after spending eight months. Residents were shocked when they saw him walking on the streets again. It seems he has connections.

“The fight died down on Sunday until Alakuko boys went to attack Confidence’s second-in-command at a place where he was being treated for injuries he sustained on Friday night. They hacked him to death.”

Traders count losses

Our correspondent who moved round the scene of the clash on Tuesday noticed that glass doors and windows of several shops had been shattered. There was still fear in the air as many shops had yet to reopen for commercial activities.

A boutique operator, Olayinka Oladipupo, whose shop was destroyed, lamented how she had serially become a victim of the clashes.

“This was the third time they would vandalise my shop,” she stated, casting a sorry look at glass remnants littering her shop frontage.

She said, “It was someone who called me around 10am on Saturday and told me that my shop had been attacked again. I wanted to eat when the person called me but I couldn’t eat again. I reported to the police and wrote a statement.

“The second time they vandalised my shop, they carted away goods worth about N2m. I also reported to the police at Alakuko but they could not do anything about it. We didn’t know the major cause of their fights. I was lucky this time that they only destroyed the glasses.”

Like Oladipupo, it was the third time a barman, Oloruntoba Adegboyega, would suffer losses for the crises he knew nothing about. He was in his shop around 11pm last Friday attending to customers when the fight broke out. By the time the dust settled, he could not accurately account for the overwhelming loss the gangs had caused him.

He said, “We saw some young boys moving from Dalemo to Alakuko. This was not the first time something like that would happen so everybody started closing shops. On Saturday morning, I was called that my shop had been burgled and drinks carted away. They took away 70 crates of empty bottles and several drinks.

“Around 9pm, on Saturday, they started again. It was on Monday when the military came that the fight was quelled. Till now (Tuesday), many people are still scared of opening shops. It’s really a bad experience. It has been happening but this was much.

“It happens almost every four months and most of the time, it is over the night. Police had to negotiate with them for peace on Monday. The last time they burgled my shop, they took away three plasma televisions. Late last year, they fought and burgled my shop too.”

Another affected shop owner, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the hoodlums created chaos in the community at will, adding that she had no means of fixing the shattered glasses of her shop.

She explained, “People have been complaining that there is someone who harbours them along this road. The person runs a nightclub and the police know the place. They smoke and do all sorts of things there. This problem started about three years ago but it escalated during the COVID-19 lockdown. Apart from Confidence, other notorious hoodlums in this place are Gbese and Marindoti.”

But an artisan, whose shop was spared of the looting, said the gangs especially their ringleaders. had become almost invincible.

He said, “From Alakuko to Dalemo, they broke into many shops and stole goods. I was inside my shop when they started the fight around 11am last Friday. They left of their own volition around 2.230am. They came out in broad daylight on Sunday and Monday. No policemen came that night and on Sunday.

“It was on Monday that the police came to make peace and arrested some of them. But their kingpins are still moving around. No shop is safe here. We report the crises to the police. Those boys even broke into shops at Alakuko close to the police station. What did the police do about it? Policemen always see Confidence. He moves freely around this community but they won’t arrest him.”

The Chairman, Fola Azeez/Fagbenro Landlords’ Association in Alakuko, Chief Rasaq Oyedokun, said that residents were always in fear each time the rival gangs foment mayhem, urging security agencies to ensure lasting peace in the neighbourhoods.

He added, “They burgle shops and create panic. We want peace in our area. Government should come to our aid. This has been going on for three years now and we always report to the police.”

The Chairman, Dalemo/Opeoluwa Community Development Association, Mr Idowu Audu, said the incessant crisis had altered the peace he met when he settled in the community 20 years ago, noting that the hoodlums were not resident in the area.

He stated, “They are outsiders. They burgle shops during their clashes. The policemen were unable to quell the crisis on Monday. They had to invite the military, including OPMESA operatives. Some residents could not return home on Friday from work. On Monday, many traders returned home when they started again.

“To solve this problem, we need to find its root. The police have been trying their best but their best is not enough. They are also human beings. Policemen and soldiers had to call some of the boys and talk to them. That was when peace returned.”

A community leader, Dr Akindayo Akinronbi, said most of the hoodlums were jobless, appealing to the government to create employment opportunities for them.

He said, “Idle hands are the devil’s handiwork. This (Dalemo) is a boundary between Lagos and Ogun states. They use all kinds of weapons such as cutlasses, bottles and even guns. Even when the police and the military were around, they were still brandishing weapons. They have turned this road to a robbery spot and they are outsiders. No landlord’s son is among them.”

During the robberies that greeted the COVID-19 lockdown last year, our correspondent reported that Confidence allegedly led his gang members numbering about 200 to invade Dalemo around 9pm on Tuesday, April 7, 2020, robbing any residents in sight of their valuables, including phones and cash.

The gang also overran a checkpoint at Dalemo junction where some policemen enforcing the COVID-19 lockdown order were deployed.

The hoodlums operated freely until a reinforcement team led by the Agbado Divisional Police Officer, SP Kuranga Yero, arrived at the scene.

“They collected phones and money from anybody they saw and beat them up. They also invaded the police checkpoint at Dalemo Junction. They (hoodlums) were about 200 led by Confidence. He is a young slim man of about 25 years old but he is dangerous,” a tenant in the area, who gave his name only as Debo, told our correspondent.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Lagos, CSP Muyiwa Adejobi, said the state police command was working with the Ogun State Police Command to tackle the security challenges at Alakuko-Dalemo and other border areas.

He added, “We have some suspects who are assisting the command in unravelling the situation at Alakuko and its suburbs. Normalcy has been restored to the area and the two commands, Lagos and Ogun, are on the matter.”

https://punchng.com/looting-deaths-as-lagos-notorious-gangs-clash-over-assault-on-kingpins-lover/

1 Share

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Afriifa(m): 7:39am On Feb 14, 2021
An Average Nigerian Is Someone Without Ethics.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by johnkey: 7:40am On Feb 14, 2021
idiots and nuisances

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by InfernoNig: 7:41am On Feb 14, 2021
This is very stupid.

11 Likes

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by phorget(m): 7:57am On Feb 14, 2021
Wasted generation.

3 Likes

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by fernandez1(m): 8:02am On Feb 14, 2021
I was cut up in between the fight......that boy called confidence needs to be clear b4 normalcy will return to that area.....I heard even the policemen are scared of him because he his a son of herbalist.....I weep for this country.

But ordinary protester lagos government go move police and soldiers like say na 3rd world war.

113 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by capitalzero: 8:03am On Feb 14, 2021

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Nukilia: 8:04am On Feb 14, 2021
These terrorists must be taught a lesson! Time to restore death by firing squad for sanity to remain in the country....

4 Likes

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by LMS1(m): 8:09am On Feb 14, 2021
Set Awon Eleribu!

3 Likes

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Nairalandwizerd(m): 8:16am On Feb 14, 2021
Ok
Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:16am On Feb 14, 2021
But our correspondent, who visited the communities on Tuesday gathered that an assault on the girlfriend of one Abiodun aka Confidence – the gang leader of Dalemo boys – led to the fight.

It was learnt that Confidence’s lover attended a nightclub in the neighbourhood on Friday evening and was beaten by some boys from Alakuko.

After being informed of the assault, Confidence was said to have led his gang members in a reprisal that night, resulting in deaths from both rival groups and destruction of property along the road.

“An attempt to avenge the assault on the girlfriend was what actually led to the fight but many people don’t know,” a resident, who identified himself only as Tunde, told Sunday PUNCH. “This was not the first time issues over the girlfriend would result in a fight.”
All the killings and destruction because of a girl at a nightclub?
And these are the so called leaders of tomorrow?
Shaking our heads!

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Freestainworld(m): 8:16am On Feb 14, 2021
Lagos the new boilers.

2 Likes

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:16am On Feb 14, 2021
phorget:
Wasted generation.
Very very wasted generation!

InfernoNig:
This is very stupid.
johnkey:
idiots and nuisances
U don finish d matter!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by lifeandjoy: 8:17am On Feb 14, 2021
grin
Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Rugaria: 8:18am On Feb 14, 2021
If these Awawa boys and one million boys generation are not immediately confronted and defeated now, Lagos may never recover from it.. The culture of cultism is slowly being accepted as the norm these days... Many have gained a lot from it through sundry bad businesses and politicians have incentified the whole thing.. It's getting worse as security agencies are being either compromised or overpowered.. Though very prominent in Lagos, it's also gaining grounds across the country. This culture will ultimately hunt down Nigeria at a stage if not ruthlessly eliminated..

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by FILEBE(m): 8:18am On Feb 14, 2021
But they can COD on 10 protesters. The police couldn't stop the fight, they had to call for reinforcement . Yesterday had police on toll gate like it was a war front. They said they were being pre emptive.
Now, they couldn't....

And some Nigerians will still be supporting the government in all of these . We are our own problem sha

7 Likes

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Nobody: 8:18am On Feb 14, 2021
Lagos and hoodlums na 5&6

3 Likes

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Orubebe01: 8:18am On Feb 14, 2021
Igbo fight because of money, while Yoruba fight because of woman. I prefer to die because of money than to die because of wo-man.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by elujah1(m): 8:19am On Feb 14, 2021
And where could our muscle flexing police be in all these? They only show force of power against the unarmed.

1 Like

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Samiah33(m): 8:21am On Feb 14, 2021
hmm
Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by elmessiahs(m): 8:22am On Feb 14, 2021
unfocused lots
Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Nobody: 8:22am On Feb 14, 2021
Good morning everyone

I'm typing this with heavy heart because I just can't seem to hold it anymore.

I am currently in my NDII in Federal Poly bida.

I need a loan of 20k to complete the payment of my school fees.
Which I promise to pay back in a months time.

The deadline for school fees payment is upon me. And failure to pay, will make me add another year to my graduation years.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Lamasta(m): 8:22am On Feb 14, 2021
From last Friday night to Monday afternoon, the warring hoodlums took charge of the communities, killing one another, vandalising shops along their ‘battle ground’ on Alakuko-Agbado Road and stealing goods.

Its really unfortunate to read news like this almost everyday and we have government collecting security votes monthly to protect lives and properties

1 Like

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by joseph1832(m): 8:22am On Feb 14, 2021
Hian. What a shame. If you tell them not to give birth to kids they can't take care of, our brothers in the north will say you're attacking their religion, while those in the south will say it's their right to birth kids.

All in all, what happened in Alakuko last week is the glaring evidence of producing kids whose parents can't take care of them, talkless of even having time for them.

A whole lot need to change before this country can move forward in any positive light.

#MentalRevolution

3 Likes

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Farki: 8:23am On Feb 14, 2021
More people died and properties were destroyed yesterday than at Lekki but "defend" Lagos E-rats and police didn't see this one. grin

But if they hear protest they will airdrop SWAT and seal off the area, this really shows who the true enemies of Lagos are.

1 Like

Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by omojesu202(m): 8:24am On Feb 14, 2021
yeye news
Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by FastLane25(m): 8:24am On Feb 14, 2021
News wey suppose dey FP no show nah come this one .. rubbish
Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by naijadrivablog: 8:24am On Feb 14, 2021
Wahala be like Agbero, Brodashaggi no get wahala like them.
Re: Looting, Deaths As Lagos’ Notorious Gangs Clash Over Assault On Kingpin’s Lover by Seniorwriter(m): 8:25am On Feb 14, 2021
We won't see any swift move form LSG or It's security functions on this troubling menace but they are fast with arresting protesters with clenched fists!?.
It's so clear we have very clueless and incompetent politicians that are only interested in selfish gains.
Come 2023 there must be a massive paradigm shift to empower reponsive and responsible people(Youths) with Focus & Empathy...

We Mooove.

Proactivity Leads To Productivity!!!
@SeniorWriter

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos Of Prisoner Killed By Fulani Herdsmen In Benue Prisons At Jato-Aka / Burial Poster Of Odudu Davis, Policeman Shot Dead By A Naval Officer In Calabar / Spiritualist Rapes An Underage & Disabled Girl In Ogun State(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.