Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

Slavery In Our Labour Market - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Slavery In Our Labour Market (35899 Views)

Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? / Is This Pure Act Of Slavery Or Real Job Vacancy? (Picture) / FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Yankee101: 5:10pm On Feb 15, 2021
If you know what you carry, be more forthright about your needs and expectations if not they'll use you
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by kponkedenge(m): 5:17pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:
Hello guys I will like to advise us on job change
because I was so frustrated with my recent job, after going for interview with another it took them time to reach back and told me to resign from my current job to process my new job.
After resigning, 3days before I went to the new company I was called that I will be trained for 2yrs which was the second red flag.

The first red flag is that all the top officers of the company were women which I was uncomfortable with.

I got there yesterday to pick up work tool and all I saw was a turn off
1. IT guy asked me to turn on my data to set up the laptop they will give me
2. We will be working from home till Corona clears out. No power (Gen) support, I asked for data and the hr guy said I will reach out to Admin.
3. No pension, hmo, housing scheme, transportation, I was already boiling inside of me
4. He said I am resuming as a contract staff and they will make me full staff at their convenient time. That I just heard that day.
4. I will work one year before I am entitled to leave. I will be under supervision for 2yrs and cannot leave the company within that period
5. Most annoying part is that he said it is a Christian company I nearly slap the guy.

These and many other red flags I saw.

So guys do not resign from your previous job before taking another offer. If the new offer is not good enough turn it down and continue with the old job till a better one comes.

Where is your old job at.... I want to direct someone there
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by PETUK(m): 5:21pm On Feb 15, 2021
SKYHIGHfx:
Because they did not want to pay the price
how many months does it takes to understand Forex?
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Kooldon(f): 5:24pm On Feb 15, 2021
Put in another resignation fast fast
God no go shame us
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by PETUK(m): 5:25pm On Feb 15, 2021
karnap:
na why I dey learned forex trading with FRANKIE ACADEMY.
In two months time I won't be working for anyone

how long have you been learning?
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by SKYHIGHfx: 5:33pm On Feb 15, 2021
PETUK:

how many months does it takes to understand Forex?

With proven mentor 4 month is enough to be financially free.....
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by PETUK(m): 5:34pm On Feb 15, 2021
SKYHIGHfx:

With proven mentor 4 month is enough to be financially free.....
I heard some people claim they learn it for two years
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by SKYHIGHfx: 5:40pm On Feb 15, 2021
PETUK:

I heard some people claim they learn it for two years

I was wandering before i met a proven mentor who taught me 4 4 months... Though expensive... Drop your number i will call u
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by PETUK(m): 5:42pm On Feb 15, 2021
SKYHIGHfx:

I was wandering before i met a proven mentor who taught me 4 4 months... Though expensive... Drop your number i will call u

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Floxytran: 6:35pm On Feb 15, 2021
PoliteActivist:

I do have a question. Why is it called "resume". To resume is to go back to what you were already doing?
See below

I'm very sorry about that but I'm not an expert in English language, all I want to do is make sense to the readers.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

2 Likes

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Floxytran: 6:38pm On Feb 15, 2021
Originalsly:

Very good advice. In countries where systems work..... before you even apply... you will know what the job requires.... and when given the begin date... that job is yours.... there are no surprise rules and conditions. In Nigeria... it is not so in general... so it is for you to protect your employment status. Forget about sending in resignation letter 30 days or whatever before. Like the above suggested..... go do your interviews.... tell your employer you are sick since most likely if you have keave... they will deny you... that you are showing signs of COVID-19 and will go do a test. Go begin your new job and after a week or so... if you like it... remain .... tell your former employer you don't know when you'll be back... then resign two weeks later. If you don't like the new job.... go take a COVID-19 test ... show up to resume work with your test results to let the boss know you are now COVID-19 free. Life goes on.

Forget any job that the employer wants to make sure you left your job.... that is a big red flag........ he wants you to be at his mercy .

Ah! This cracked me up o... Covid ke... grin

This is our reality in this country. God will continue to help us all.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Floxytran: 6:53pm On Feb 15, 2021
otomatic:
You should get an offer letter first before resigning from your present employment. People even use offer letters from competitors to negotiate pay raises and promotions with their employers.

Exactly! If your current employer values you, you can renegotiate if you have a better offer at hand.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by PoliteActivist: 7:15pm On Feb 15, 2021
Floxytran:

I'm very sorry about that but I'm not an expert in English language, all I want to do is make sense to the readers.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

No, you were not wrong. It is in common usage in Nigeria. I'm just wondering why it is so. There must be a reason
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by sisisioge: 7:21pm On Feb 15, 2021
You resigned without seeing your terms of employment first? Interesting!

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by SKYHIGHfx: 7:37pm On Feb 15, 2021
PETUK:

Switched off
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by smasher1(m): 7:41pm On Feb 15, 2021
Floxytran:

Okay, I feel led to comment on this topic and give my advice. My advice is very simple and could help the next person that might make this same mistake. Here is my suggestion.
1. Get the offer letter from the new job and make sure you understand it very well, ask questions at every point if you are not clear then ask them to give you time to resign from your present job. Don't be desperate.
2. Since most of them will not be entiely open as in this case, don't resign from your current job rather take a leave from your annual leave, casual leave or any leave available, call in sick for 2 days if you like.
3. Use those days to resume and try out the new job and watch for the red flags. Usually within the first week of your resumption you would have known if you will stay or not.
4. If it's good, go back to resign properly even if it means you might forfeit some things, otherwise go back to your old job peacefully without notifying them.

I have a lot to say and I know there are different cases. I will be glad to help if anyone has further questions.

Easier said than done.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by ArcFresky(m): 7:53pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:
Hello

OP
When you leave, post the company name so nairalanders can know.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by PETUK(m): 8:16pm On Feb 15, 2021
SKYHIGHfx:
Switched off
it's on
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by PervertProphet: 8:18pm On Feb 15, 2021
onward4life:

What I normally do is that I avoid brands and or services of such slave mentality companies...

Yu will see some asking for 5 years experience with masters as an added advantage. Not more 28yrs as at the time of applying with 2nd class upper from a reputable institution...

Just to receive 65k a month....

grin grin grin

65k a month that is not enough with transportation in Lagos. Only Food and Transport alone will guzzle that money.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by slizzyb(m): 8:37pm On Feb 15, 2021
Frip:
It's the same everywhere o. Everywhere

When I tell youths to come join my establishment to build a company, get respectable treatment and good Remuneration they refuse to hear word. How much would one say from let's say 60k a month doing all of this

Monthly expense alone 30k

Feed me in lets roll
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by toluene1234: 8:52pm On Feb 15, 2021
Which company is that? Is it an IT company along sandfill Lekki?
slimjohn2k5:

Even if they will take me in my previous place, I won't go back. The slavery there is depressing. Imagine an international company that is supposed to be paying 20 dollar an hour paying 1.3dollar an hour in Nigeria. Meanwhile its fellow competitors pay the normal money
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by luluosas(m): 8:53pm On Feb 15, 2021
Your number 5 says all about you.
Anyway, you were hungry for a higher pay, and you forgot the lesson that says HALF BREAD IS BETTER THAN NONE. NOT ALL THAT GLITTER ARE GOLD.

Take care
slimjohn2k5:
because I was so frustrated with my recent job, after going for interview with another it took them time to reach back and told me to resign from my current job to process my new job.
After resigning, 3days before I went to the new company I was called that I will be trained for 2yrs which was the second red flag.

The first red flag is that all the top officers of the company were women which I was uncomfortable with.

2. We will be working from home till Corona clears out. No power (Gen) support, I asked for data and the hr guy said I will reach out to Admin.
3. No pension, hmo, housing scheme, transportation, I was already boiling inside of me
4. He said I am resuming as a contract staff and they will make me full staff at their convenient time. That I just heard that day.
4. I will work one year before I am entitled to leave. I will be under supervision for 2yrs and cannot leave the company within that period
5. Most annoying part is that he said it is a Christian company I nearly slap the guy.

So guys do not resign from your previous job before taking another offer. If the new offer is not good enough turn it down and continue with the old job till a better one comes.

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Emmex45(m): 9:13pm On Feb 15, 2021
Hmm dis life no balance.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by cooooooks(m): 9:55pm On Feb 15, 2021
Some companies and owners have no respect for their workers.

Anytime there is high turnover, be very careful.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Hassanmaye(m): 10:19pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

I agree with you any company that a 'woman' is leading I will never work there because those gender and Hypergamy madness when a man is lower than them no be small, I will rather go to non skilled job than work with a woman boss tufiakwa
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by ijbmot(m): 11:19pm On Feb 15, 2021
Frip:
It's the same everywhere o. Everywhere

When I tell youths to come join my establishment to build a company, get respectable treatment and good Remuneration they refuse to hear word. How much would one say from let's say 60k a month doing all of this

Monthly expense alone 30k

bros please I'm interested. pls help me with your whatsapp no
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by karnap(m): 11:22pm On Feb 15, 2021
PETUK:
how long have you been learning?
two weeks ,still counting its 6 weeks training that will explore your world of forex.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by PETUK(m): 12:07am On Feb 16, 2021
karnap:
two weeks ,still counting its 6 weeks training that will explore your world of forex.
someone says 4 months, another said 2 years
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by jospepper(m): 1:12pm On Feb 16, 2021
harjay1986:

Falck prime atlantic but now Prime Atlantic safety service
thank you.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by tot(f): 1:15pm On Feb 16, 2021
Hassanmaye:

I agree with you any company that a 'woman' is leading I will never work there because those gender and Hypergamy madness when a man is lower than them no be small, I will rather go to non skilled job than work with a woman boss tufiakwa

Na wa.

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by karnap(m): 11:20am On Feb 17, 2021
PETUK:
someone says 4 months, another said 2 years
my own is 6 weeks...let them show you evidence
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by PETUK(m): 1:42pm On Feb 17, 2021
karnap:
my own is 6 weeks...let them show you evidence
how much are you paying?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBM Group For Unadvertised Job Vacancies! / Are You Kidding Me? Loose Your Braids Or Loose You Job? [photo] / Man Meets His Boss At Job Interview He Attended After Taking A Sick Leave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.