Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,810 members, 7,806,273 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense (458 Views)

My Strange Experience With Nigeria Women, Will Make Any Man To Commit Suicide. / My Wife Doesn't Post My Pictures On Social Media, She Is Abnormal, Help! / My Wife Doesn't Like Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense by RenaissanceGuy: 4:46pm On Feb 14, 2021
I believe that referring to people using their surname doesn't make any common sense. For instance, the name of our president is Muhammadu, but everybody calls him Buhari (his father's name). I'm sure that if you ask 100 people on the road what the president's first or full name is, at least 70% would not know.

Very few people popular, such as Atiku Abubakar and Goodluck Jonathan are lucky to be referred to by their first name.

It becomes even more odd when you see newspapers (on/offline) using women's surname to refer to them. It ends up confusing you as to the gender of the person in question.

I think this is strictly Western culture borrowed by Africans. In Asia, they don't follow this.
Re: Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense by RenaissanceGuy: 4:49pm On Feb 14, 2021
I don't believe in general family name. Every man should be able to use their own names as surname for their wife and children.

This is what I plan to do when I get married. Am I odd?

1 Like

Re: Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense by merieam16(f): 4:58pm On Feb 14, 2021
RenaissanceGuy:
I don't believe in general family name. Everybody should be able to use their own names as surname for their wife and children.

This is what I plan to do when I get married. Am I odd?
no u arent

Different strokes for different folks

For me its anywhr belle face

1 Like

Re: Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense by Cutehector(m): 5:02pm On Feb 14, 2021
Your headache
Re: Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense by Bluntguy: 5:16pm On Feb 14, 2021
That is how the owners of the language taught us. Also tell them to stop filling forms with surnames first since you want to be more Catholic than the Pope.
Re: Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense by RenaissanceGuy: 5:25pm On Feb 14, 2021
Bluntguy:
That is how the owners of the language taught us. Also tell them to stop filling forms with surnames first since you want to be more Catholic than the Pope.
I'm referring to the Nigerian environment. We can decide to snap out of it, without waiting for the Westerners to have a rethink before we start following them blindly.
Re: Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense by Bluntguy: 5:38pm On Feb 14, 2021
RenaissanceGuy:
I'm referring to the Nigerian environment. We can decide to snap out of it, without waiting for the Westerners to have a rethink before we start following them blindly.
You better start thinking of a Nigerian dictionary too. That would help you in your quest. Btw, good luck to you.
Re: Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense by Richy4(m): 6:02pm On Feb 14, 2021
If it wasn't Western culture style, Then how would you like the president to be addressed that will be culturally correct and acceptable by all Nigerians..considering the ethnic groups in the country.. and some demonstrates more respect than the other
Re: Addressing People By Their Last Name Doesn't Make Any Sense by Nobody: 5:33am On Mar 01, 2021
The Presidents and PMs of the world are typically addressed by their title + last name during formal settings, connoting respect.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Karma Is A Bitch / Dream About Somone Dying / Pregnant Wife Files For Divorce After Her Husband Had Bought His Mom A Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.